SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by SaperPL, Sep 1, 2014.

1. masteralef

masteralef n00bie

Curious whether you've tried to put in any sort of fan on the motherboard side. The CPU itself is obviously fine, but the entire motherboard side now has no air except for when the PSU fan is on. Are you worried about the components there?

2. NuclearLemons

NuclearLemons [H]Lite

thats a good point, guess i havent really considered it since the vrams aren't going to heat up much. i could try ziptying my old 92mm noctua in there, though im unsure of what effect it would have.

3. Ej24

Ej24 Gawd

Alright guys, time to start compiling a list of which RTX 20 series gpu's will fit.

Sad to see the reference design is no longer a blower, nor do I trust third parties make a good vapor chamber based blower. But I get it, these are powerful gpu's and a blower probably couldn't reach both the performance and acoustic parameters Nvidia wanted.

The reference design should fit fine in Sentry though. I wish Nvidia went with longitudinal fins rather than lateral, that way some of the exhaust would be ejected out the back i/o. Beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

Definitely planning on cramming a 2080 Ti in Sentry.

jisaku_taro likes this.
  4. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

newegg has dimensions listed...

5. Ej24

Ej24 Gawd

Looks like the EVGA "XC Gaming" will definitely fit. A lot of the others are 3 fan cards that are 2.5-3 slots in thickness.
    I actually like the reference, founders edition. It looks like it'll perform well enough, plus its a vapor chamber under all those fins, Nvidia really impressed me with what a difference a vapor chamber makes with the GTX-1080 FE. So far only Best Buy and Nvidia themselves have the FE cards listed for sale.
    Hopefully Amazon will have the FE cards, I've been saving my Amazon rewards for over a year and I'm trying to get 5% cash back from Amazon, on $1200, that adds up.

Looks like a few AIB blower 2080Ti's are showing up now. I sincerely hope they have vapor chambers or they're going to thermal throttle badly.

AgShield likes this.
  6. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

I wouldn't jump on the RTX bandwagon until we have the performance in both current gen games and ray tracing games for them.

Yes, this is a groundbreaking tech, but as such I'd treat this as prototype until there are actual games using this.

What might give it a boost in current games performance is concurrent FP/INT execution in SM, but I'm not sure how much of a difference will that make.

I will wait for the release of BF5 to see if RTX support will actually be there or if it was just a demo and hopefully with RTX on there'll be a better framerate because a lot of shading will be offloaded from SM to RT cores. If not - I'd recommend waiting till that happens.

RosaJ, Chimpee and AgShield like this.
  7. AgShield

AgShield n00bie

I bit the bullet and pre-ordered the RTX 2080 FE. I'm usually very cautious and calculating but this time I did it simply because I promised myself last September that I'd pre-order this one; i.e. I'm going in all blind.

I think that it would probably fit the Sentry but I'm concerned about the power draw and heat dissipation but some people on this thread have installed more power hungry cards (i.e. GTX 1080Ti and Vega) so it should be doable. We'll see in a month.

That's what I was hoping for as well.

Even without ray tracing and the tensor cores, it still has more CUDA cores than the 10-series and uses GDDR6 so that should somewhat increase performance.

Ej24 likes this.
  8. 4884

4884 [H]Lite

The heatsink has openings on both the top and bottom, means that a big part of the hot exhaust is going to the CPU/motherboard region.
    Don't think it's very desirable for our cases.
    I may get an Asus Turbo 2080 (Gotta wait for the benchmarks). Definitely not Ti for me...that shit is too expensive:confused:

AgShield likes this.
  9. Ej24

Ej24 Gawd

It will fit. The FE has the same dimensions as previous FE cards.

Refined SMs with more Cuda cores at that. More L2 cache and a few other tweaks mean a slight bump in IPC per SM. These will be beasts with or without any ray tracing.

For those that already have a 1080ti, yeah it probably doesn't make sense. For those of us that sold our gpu's for profit during the mining frenzy, yeah, I'll be getting one these RTX cards.

AgShield likes this.
  10. TudorAdrian

TudorAdrian n00bie

After a long wait, I finally managed to get *most* of my Sentry & desk done. Build notes here

Sentry unit #576 reporting for duty :)

SoSquidTaste, RosaJ, Ej24 and 2 others like this.
  11. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

So I'm once again perusing the thread for assistance, so hopefully my issue has already been conquered.

Here's my build, which is running in horizontal orientation:
    i7-8700K (throttled to run like an i5-8400 for TDP purposes)
    1080 Ti FE
    16GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600)
    Asrock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming ITX
    2x WD 2TB notebook spinners
    1TB 860 EVO M.2
    Corsair 600W Gold SFX
    Noctua NH-L9i e/w NF-B9 Redux Fan

I get that I'm well above TDP on the video card, but at least it's a blower. I have ordered taller feet so that it can breathe better, but that's in progress.

The issue is that I'm cooking "Drive 2". I haven't traced the cables to see which wound up being spinner #2, but it's hitting 80C during gaming. Everything else is fine, and I could push the CPU harder.. though the GPU could use some undervolt tweaks. I started looping the new Forza Horizon 4 Demo to examine temps and such when I discovered this. Thoughts?

4pGmL9kl.jpg

Man I really need to take a black marker to those WD drives.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  12. pendragon1

why didn't you just get lower spec'd parts if you have to underclock them?! and youre still having temp issues...

13. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

You could try mounting the hdd below the GPU near the blower inlet - it actually works magic for the drive temp, at least with GTX 970 we've tested. 1080 TI is really power hungry and hot so it will give off that heat to drives especially in horizontal position. It should be a lot better on vertical stand for such config.

octagoncow likes this.
  14. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

Because I owned the parts before I owned the case.

And honestly, I've done another SFF build in an InWin Chopin case since this one. The damn low TDP parts non-K or T series were more expensive in my neck of the woods than K parts. Go figure.

Actually the CPU is delidded and clocked 1 notch across the board (clocked per core) higher than i5-8400. I still have thermal headroom there for sure, and the GPU hasn't received any special attention yet either. It's just the lone spinner that's an issue. If I fix the spinner drive and undervolt the GPU I think I can push everything higher. The taller feet will help too, even if it doesn't get me to vertical orientation temps.

Thank you for that suggestion. I'll have to figure out which drive is hot and revisit the build to see if that helps. I'll wait until the new, taller feet arrive. I won't go vertical b/c it's in a home theater setup and it would be unsightly.

I have a 2080 Ti coming too, which I'll tinker with.. but I hold no hope that I can make that fly with this build unless I go vertical. Even then I have doubts.

I also have an i7-8086K that I'll also be subbing in here once it's delidded and I'm done with it in another machine. It achieves more clock with less voltage than my 8700K, which should help a bit.

I've even pondered putting the 2080 Ti into an external Thunderbolt 3 enclosure just for science. I'm interested to see how that would would fare against the 1080 Ti with thermal constraints. I'm pretty sure the TB3 bandwidth penalty would be too hefty but it'd be interesting to try, and if I had better 4k results with that config I actually have a place I could hide the eGPU from view with the right TB cable.

SaperPL and pendragon1 like this.
  15. 4884

4884 [H]Lite

I bet the problem is with the CPU. (And the drive nearer to it)
    I hope you already know that, even your CPU cooler can get rid of the heat from the CPU itself quick enough, the heat still need somewhere to go outside the cooler.
    The hot air from the CPU cooler is going to be trapped under the harddrive.
    And you still want to push it harder...:confused:
    You could try flipping the fan on the CPU cooler so it pulls air from the heatsink.
    It's not going to perform as good because the cooler is not designed to work like that, but at least you're not trapping hot exhaust with the harddrive
    I guess ultimately you have to either further reduce TDP of the CPU or relocate the harddrive.

edit: btw I don't think the graphics card is a problem to the drives because it's a blower. I had a vega 64 in the sentry and my drives were fine.

16. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

I do have a pretty solid understanding of heat transfer and such, was just looking for suggestions. Of course I want to push it harder.. just want to reconfigure and modify. It’s been a while since I did the build so relocating the drive to that spot isn’t something I would immediately thought of.

The image is old and I hadn’t even looked at it recently until I decided to poet it here and examine the issue.

17. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

I don't know if anyone else is interested in trying them, but I bought some of the taller feet for the case and just received them from China. (Post 5805)

It looks like I have 5 sets, so if anyone wants some for the price of shipping let me know. I don't have time this week, but could probably mail them next week. It's prob just as cheap to buy them direct but it's slow.

Jspr likes this.
  18. AgShield

AgShield n00bie

Unit no. 0837 update.

I received and installed my RTX 2080 a few weeks ago but I didn't have time to post because I started my new job.

Since I'm opening my Sentry for the first time since February, here's a preview of how much dust has gathered...
    DSC_0778b.jpg
    I live in a dusty place but that's no excuse...

After doing some cleaning, I've installed my new GPU... No issues with my PCIe riser cable.
    DSC_0785b.jpg
    My build is technically complete but I still haven't implemented my other plans: flexible sleeved cables, Samsung 860 EVO M.2 (on its way), etc...

DSC_0784b.jpg
    For those curious, there's around 10-12 mm clearance near the NVLink.

DSC_0787b.jpg
    It's a small detail but I really, REALLY LOVE the black GPU expansion slot plate...

My Sentry is pretty cool and quiet despite having an i7-8700k and a RTX 2080. However, to be fair, I don't really do anything demanding - no benchmarks, no overclocking - so you're experience may vary.

Ej24, Jspr, octagoncow and 2 others like this.
  19. klatox

klatox [H]Lite

Looks good man. That cooler is ok with the 8700k @ stock speeds?

20. Ej24

Ej24 Gawd

GPU temps? Cpu temps? Super curious. I'm looking to get a 2080ti whenever they're back in stock. Not sure if it'll be possible in Sentry due to heat.

21. pendragon1

no excuse for what? that looks fine to me.

22. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

I'm a dumbass. My "drive 2" temperature issue is actually the second temperature sensor on my M.2 SSD (960 EVO) that's mounted under the MB. It seems this is a common thing, as it's apparently the memory controller.

I misread it as one of my spinners, which are actually fine once I dug into it.

SaperPL, octagoncow and pendragon1 like this.
  23. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

So I wound up putting a 2080 Ti FE in the Sentry, horizontal mode with the taller feet. I've by no means put it thru the paces for an extended time, but I looped the Forza Horizon 4 demo 10 straight times or so. The GPU temp slowly climbed to the low 80C range and the card throttled down from 1900's to bouncing between high 1700's and low 1800's.

I need to put more time into it, and no doubt it'd be better vertical but I'm pretty impressed. My 1080 Ti FE would go straight to 83-84C very quickly and the card would drop back to sub 1500 clocks on extended runs. That was with the smaller (stock) feet.

But it's dinner time..

Ej24 likes this.
  24. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

I'd be curious what your other system temperatures would be like with the 2080ti's non-blower FE cooler.

SaperPL likes this.
  25. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

I’ll find out eventually. I didn’t have any more time today but CPU was fine. Anxious to find out myself.

I was waiting for the family to get ready for dinner, got some Forza loops in and just watched the GPU and CPU stats using Afterburner OSD.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Neapolitan6th likes this.
  26. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

One of the backers sent us info about his build that is pretty interesting because of the CPU cooling:

Sentry06.jpg
    Sentry07.jpg
    Sentry02.jpg
    Sentry04.jpg

Ej24, octagoncow and kingtron like this.