SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by SaperPL, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Gr8Scott

Gr8Scott [H]Lite

SaperPL thank you so much for that. Now I know. I will shy away from basically anything that gets close to that marker. I tried the Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 when it came out (50mm) and it was indeed too loud, being too close to the case. My current 2060S fits nicely with plenty of room and is a solid card.

I was interested in seeing if there was a possibility of getting a 5700XT partner card in there. Currently, Sapphire's offering seems to be the only one yet that will remotely fit, though it's a 2.3 slot card at 46.5mm. Somehow, I think I'm going to get similar results to the Pulse 56 with noise being so close to the case, but maybe 3.5mm makes more of a difference than I think it does.

2. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

I believe only asrock has a pure 2 slot 5700XT non-reference so far that may fit.

riba2233 likes this.
  3. Gr8Scott

Gr8Scott [H]Lite

I hadn't seen that card yet! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll likely wait for some videos about temps and other things. I be potentially concerned about the height. 137mm will work if they are measuring from the bottom of the I/O plate and not the bottom of the card itself. The Sentry reference page shows only 130mm from the bottom of the card with the oversize area included.

4. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

The height seems to be measured with the end of the pci bracket and we were talking about it in the sentry 2.0 topic on sff.net, so you can check it out there on most recent pages.

5. Ej24

Ej24 Gawd

I agree with SaperPL, In my personal experience with both Sentry 1.1 and 2.0, I strongly suggest staying around 180W or less. Any more power/heat and no matter what gpu you have, green team or red team, it's going to completely saturate itself and the system with heat. Hot gpu's throttle (not necessarily because they hit their junction temperature but they don't boost as high as possible). So why get the 5700xt if it can't boost high enough to significantly beat the 5700 anyway? A 5700 will run cooler, quieter, and boost clocks better. You could put the extra money towards a larger ssd or something.

Ultra sff almost always requires some compromise. Ultimately its up to you though. There is definitely something bad ass about having a monster gpu in a tiny case.

Gr8Scott, octagoncow and SaperPL like this.
  6. Gr8Scott

Gr8Scott [H]Lite

Ej24 thank you so much for the watt recommendation. I didn't think about that and it totally makes sense. I'm just at 1440 with one 32 in monitor and it seems like the 5700 trades blows with the 2060S on most games, so if I wanted to go green or red, there seem to be options abounding. I've built lots of computers before, but this is my first foray into the SFFPC world and it has definitely been a learning experience. I can't thank you enough for the recommendation of wattage. I will try to stay around 180 ish watts.

7. ZenTex

ZenTex n00b

Question.

So ordered the parts for a new system for the sentry 2 to replace my node 202.
    Ryzen 3600 on a ASRock fatality X470 and a powercolor RX 5700 XT, the unnamed one.

While there are no reviews on the Gpu yet, I'm assuming thermals are going to be a bit higher than most other cards due to its smaller size.
    I'm planning on undervolting and underclocking and aiming for 180W consumption. It's very likely the card will still thermal throttle before reaching its limit as the ambient temperature will be over 30 degrees Celsius much of the time.

However, since it's a pretty short board, (230 mm) I'll have about 70 mm to spare in the Gpu compartment, so I'm considering adding case fans.

My plan is to add 2*60 mm fans blowing into the empty space to add overpressure in the entire compartment forcing all the heat to escape from the perforated side and to prevent the Gpu from getting warm air from that space.

I had a somewhat similar situation in the node 202 where I had a lot of space due to the very small itx version of a 970, where I had a single 120 fan sucking air from that space, but that didn't really work, so I just left the top cover off.

(that said, the 970 is a 170W single fan card, so a larger UV UC 180W card should perform better)

Your thoughts?

8. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

GTX 970 was a 145W~150W TDP card iirc.

If you want to add case fans like this, make sure to get noctua fans in this size, otherwise they will be chirping a lot.

Also you will have to somehow distance those fans from the perforation quite a bit to prevent noise from turbulence.

But it may help your thermals as fans will push air against the top of the GPU compartment which should help clear hot air from above the card, that is in horizontal orientation. I wonder though how much it'll do vertically.

9. ZenTex

ZenTex n00b

True. But almost every AIB OC card consumed 170w.

I do intend to get Noctua fans, there's just no other choice.
    Using standoffs is a good idea, hadn't thought about that. Saves me from ordering a hole cutter.

Now the idea is to create overpressure and have the case and Gpu fans force air through the perforations on the side, which would work regardless of the orientation as longs as theres some clearance. My biggest concern is the Gpu recycling hot air from that open space.

Alternatively, I could close that space off, but I'll see how things work out when I have the system built.

10. Ej24

Ej24 Gawd

Use weatherstripping to seal the card to the face of the case. Then the gpu fans effectively act as high pressure case fans, and they won't suck in any recycled hot air, only cooler outside air.

11. ZenTex

ZenTex n00b