SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by SaperPL, Sep 1, 2014.

1. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

AfaiR there is only one asetek 92 mm AIO and it is significantly thicker than what we can support because of 92 mm fan diameter. We are going to support 120 mm AIO with thickness of radiator + fan up to around 50 mm, but there are more variables here than simply this and we will make support list and fitting reference after we get to test how this works with prototypes. If you want to discuss this further, it would be good to go to the thread about 2.0 here: https://hardforum.com/threads/sentry-2-0-evolution-of-console-sized-gaming-pc-case.1957662/

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Talyrius and Ej24 like this.
  2. hyp36rmax

hyp36rmax n00b

Any suggestions on taller case feet for those of us running in horizontal mode?

3. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

you can choose from 4.0/6.4/10.5/13.5 mm feet of this type AfaiR, look for stuff like FF-2/FF-9 etc like those: https://www.toby.co.uk/pcb-hardware/equipment-feet/ff-valcon-push-in-rubber-feet/

Rev 1.1 was shipped with 6.4 mm tall feet because that was the optimal height for the perforation rev 1.1 had for 150W TDP gpu and anything above 6.4 mm didn't make any difference.

nadeboy likes this.
  4. kingtron

kingtron Limp Gawd

brentsg, RosaJ, Nanook and 5 others like this.
  5. hyp36rmax

hyp36rmax n00b

6. waspodov

waspodov n00b

anyone have try cryorig C7 Cu on sentry? somesay its better than LP53..

7. FredomFM

FredomFM n00b

I did not have a C7 on the Sentry yet, but If you mind noise, I would stay away from it, as it's to close to the sidepanel and will cause a lot of noise.
    I tried a titan cooler, which even is a bit smaller than the C7 and it was a lot more more annoying than the LP53 with the same noctua fan at the same RPM settings.

Ej24 likes this.
  8. waspodov

waspodov n00b

Yeah my friend offer a group buy for C7 Cu.. The price is quite high.. I'm just thinking is it worth the price? I'm using L9i at the moment ..

Btw you have tried using LP53? The Temps is good?

9. Ej24

Ej24 Gawd

I've been using the LP53 in my Sentry for over a year now. It's roughly 10C better than the NH-l9i, in my experience, using a delidded, undervolted i7-4790K (88w tdp). I made a small review, here.

10. FredomFM

FredomFM n00b

I'm currently using one with the normal noctua fan 15mm fan (not the fast one that comes with the l9i) on a delided and lapped i7 6700k @4Ghz with 1.185V. I like to have silent system so I've set the fan to spin at a maximum of 1600RPM under heavier load. In almost all games it hovers around 1300-1400 RPM at 70-80°C (with an ambient of around 22° I would guess. Since it's getting warmer and warmer now the temps are more in the high 70 to low 80).
    If you are not so noise sensitive like me, you can crank up the fan speed and get better results.

Just from experience, I would guess hat around 90w-120w depending on the ambient and the fan is that absolut maximum this cooler can handle with the thin noctua fans. Would be interested in what other peoples thoughts and opinions on this are, since I'm currently thinking about a 2700x or the successor to that (or maybe even the rumored 8 core I7).

waspodov likes this.
  11. waspodov

waspodov n00b

Thanks for the replies..

I'm using L9i on i7 6700k non delided in sentry case for almost 1 years.. The heat sometimes go to 90 when I'm not using air conditioner..

So for upgrading my L9i, it's better to change it with LP53 + noctua NF-A9x14 (2500rpm) than C7 Cu?

12. Ej24

Ej24 Gawd

If the C7 Cu is the exact same height as the plain C7, then yes it is probably better to go with the LP53. IIRC, the C7 will perform much better than the nh-l9i if it has enough room above the fan to breath. However in Sentry it has only about 1mm, so it can't efficiently draw in air leading to loud fan noise and performance that is similar to the nh-l9i. AFAIK the LP53 is still one of the best coolers for Sentry.

waspodov likes this.
  13. Bugster

Bugster 2[H]4U

I've been sitting on my Sentry for more than 7 months without any work on it, just dont have any time really. Im curious, if these 7 months have seen any improvements in component configurations and combinations such that i could maybe use the Sentry with a Ryzen 7 2700x?

I wont upgrade this PC for a while, so i'd rather just get the most powerful CPU i can as long as im upgrading. My main home office machine is still running an Intel 2600k afterall...

14. SoSquidTaste

SoSquidTaste n00b

Hey man, seeing your username talking about your cooler reminded me-- do you still use the 3d printed velocity stack you shared here: https://hardforum.com/threads/sentr...case-project.1832126/page-141#post-1043433611

If so, do you still have the project file you'd be willing to share? I just installed Ej24's weather stripping mod but would love to be able to find a printer near me to whip up something prettier than my gunky adhesive mess :p

Ej24 likes this.
  15. waspodov

waspodov n00b

I don't have the project file because my friend made it for me.. I will ask him if you want..

And I don't use it anymore because it's only reduce the noise.. And I think I need to revised the design to make it better in sentry..

Btw I just recoloring the L9i fan.. NF-A9x14 Redux edition.. Lol
    IMG_20180426_185104_263.jpg

hyp36rmax, SoSquidTaste, Ej24 and 2 others like this.
  16. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

did you ever say what you used and how you colored the fan?

17. Ej24

Ej24 Gawd

I too am curious what type of paint this is. The finish and coverage looks superb.

18. SoSquidTaste

SoSquidTaste n00b

Oh cool, don't worry about it then! No need to dig it up if it wasn't sitting around on your hard drive or something. It sure did look nice-- bummer it didn't enhance cooling too much. Thanks for closing the loop!

And man, that fan recolor looks amazing with your build

19. waspodov

waspodov n00b

To be honest I didn't did that by myself..lol..
    I got a friend he work as aerospace aircrafts painter.
    For recoloring this fan. We need to open blade first. Then recoloring blade and the base separately.
    I saw him using recoloring this fan with air brush pen. He did a light sanding first then he applied base paint (white doff) after that he used duco paint to recoloring the fan..

Ej24, SaperPL and pendragon1 like this.
  20. riba2233

riba2233 n00b

21. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

Well, maybe... Because we don't know real dimensions of this card yet. They say the PCB is 5 mm longer than the one of R9 Nano, which would mean the PCB is 170 mm long. But it doesn't seem to be true as the PCB looks exactly the same length as the one in R9 Nano (note the distance from the pci-e connector lock). On top of that there's like 15~20 mm of the cooler hanging outside the PCB and this looks like something that will not let us mount this card along 120 mm AIO.

We have ~175 mm for the card when using AIO and this card looks like ~180 mm...

22. FredomFM

FredomFM n00b

There are a few pictures out there (I think on SFF) that show that the card is the exact lenghr of a mitx board when installed.

SaperPL likes this.
  23. SaperPL

SaperPL [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the tip. It really looks like the card will fit within the length of mITX with a cooler. I think the confusion here is that R9 Nano was measured including the slot for its 165 mm and those 5 mm of difference is between the specs, but Vega Nano looks actually like it's ~15 mm longer (similar to width of two memory slots and a change).

24. hyp36rmax

hyp36rmax n00b

I would be interested in that velocity stack myself.

I just bought one of these. Should be here tomorrow. Planning to install into my Sentry. Planning to mod it to help reduce the temps.

TBH the most crucial hardware that requires the most attention to temps is the GPU. Modern CPU's can be tamed fairly well with current SFF air coolers.

25. riba2233

riba2233 n00b

Can't wait to see! And please measure if it will fit 120 AIO.

26. kirkclick

kirkclick n00b

Find a funny pic XD
    20180613173332.jpg

Chimpee and ZombiPL like this.
  27. riba2233

riba2233 n00b

Hi, did you test it maybe? Thanks!

28. soldierx

soldierx n00b

Hey waspodov, was wondering if you could let me know what length of cables you have?

Trying to purchase some custom cables and was hoping you could share your lengths? I have the same motherboard as well.

Thanks in advance!

29. Talyrius

Talyrius Gawd

I still have a v1 Sentry (Black) in its original unopened packaging if anyone is interested in buying it off of me for what I paid + shipping costs. It looks like my next PC build is further away than initially anticipated and I'm sure someone that missed out on the initial crowdfunding campaign would appreciate the opportunity to get their hands on one.

However, to be courteous to thread subscribers, please don't reply here. Instead, send me a private message (eBay Feedback).

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  30. NuclearLemons

NuclearLemons [H]Lite

got my hands on one of those vega56 nanos and managed to fit a cooler master masterlite 120mm aio with 0 modding required. pictures are included. radiator is held in place by one radiator screw lined up with an intake hole. IMG_5974.jpg IMG_9336.jpg IMG_5903.jpg IMG_5987.jpg

31. Ej24

Ej24 Gawd

32. NuclearLemons

NuclearLemons [H]Lite

7700k, finally able to run it normally without any under volting. usually temps wont climb above 60 when before would easily hit 80 without a -100mv undervolt. not sure how well this setup would perform with an 8700k. from experience that bad boy runs even hotter, though i imagine still better than if it were with my old lp53 setup.

it is important to note though, that vega 56 mini runs hot as hell. i was hitting the 80 degree mark at close to max fan speed,

33. Ej24

Ej24 Gawd

Those temps are pretty darn good for a 7700k! It's a shame the gpu is still so warm. Have you replaced the stock thermal paste on the gpu with something more premium? like Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut (the non-conductive one) or Noctua NT-H1? I recall some of the early reviews/teardowns of Vega found not very good thermal paste contact due to the multiple chips(gpu die and HBM) all having to make contact with the cold plate. I think GamersNexus covered it a while ago.

Given some of the incredible custom liquid cooling loops I've seen people cram in their Ncase M1's, I'm curious if a custom full loop could be done in Sentry... There are some very slim radiators and very small custom reservoir/pump combos now. I've never been in to liquid cooling myself, but I'd love to see what a custom liquid cooling enthusiast could do within the confines of Sentry.

34. NuclearLemons

NuclearLemons [H]Lite

i have actually done a pretty large amount of research into custom cooling, with the sentry, the only way i see it happening is with an external cooling setup. power consumption is already an issue, cant shrink down the psu and cant go up to an sfx-l with the rad in there. sentrys best element is also its most restrictive; its slim layout. i too would love to see something custom done, but sadly i dont think there is enough clearance above the cpu and the gpu compartment for the blocks, pumps and piping. it would have to be in some way external, holes would be made.... but then again.... if it were done right, it would look pretty damn good. i think something could be done with alphacools modular blocks or EKs pheoniex concepts but otherwise... to see custom liquid cooling in a sentry is a (excuse my pun) pipe dream. will investigate swapping the thermal paste though, that just might help! The powercolor card isnt a blower style and one side is being blocked off by the aio which may be contributing but unless we see more aio sentry builds. dont really know if its helping or hurting airflow.

35. sevenalive

sevenalive n00b

Hello,

6 months after I built the Sentry, I felt it was time to delid my i7-8700. My 8700 would hit 100C on the intel diagnostic tool test on an open bench with the LP53 and kyronaut.

My delid journey was not without issues. I got poor temps a few times, used too much and too little permtex, too much and too little liquid metal. I went through a whole tube of
    Collaboratory Liquid Ultra II. I powered it up and had no video once. I could go on, long story with multiple attempts.

Anyway, I decided to use the copper IHS by rockitcool. I also lapped the cpu die, which I regret, but I saved it.

Long story short,

Now I have consistent, even temps across all cores with no throttling.

After running PC Mark 10, 3D Mark 10, and Intel Diagnostic Processor Tool, these are my stats:

AsRock z370 ITX Gaming
    i7-8700 Stock, vcore -60 offset, turboboost on with Copper IHS and Conductonaut CPU fan 100%
    LP53 w/ Kyronaut & Noctua fan mod.

https://imgur.com/a/ZWgeUhD

Benchmarks:
    https://www.3dmark.com/pcm10b/313344
    https://www.3dmark.com/pcm10exb/36133
    https://www.3dmark.com/spy/4102575

ZpIv16y.png

These are fantastic numbers considering the Intel test is by far the most stressful test and it would hit 100C outside the case and get throttled. Now it's a cool max of 76C with no throttling. All benches are done with CPU fan constant 100%, which matched benches done in Jan 2018. My first benchmarks, were done before and after mettdown and spectre. The liquid metal provides a serious performance increase in my case.

The only thing left for me to do is attach a heatsink to my 960 evo has it's hitting 87c and being throttled, which arrives tomorrow.

Edit: installed, dropped temp about 10C.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Jspr, octagoncow, RosaJ and 4 others like this.
  36. Crowbar

Crowbar [H]Lite

37. RosaJ

RosaJ Limp Gawd

Beautiful temps, love to see that! Just ordered a new NVMe SSD on PrimeDay soooo needless to say i'm very excited to open the ol'Sentry as well.

38. NuclearLemons

NuclearLemons [H]Lite

damn, really need to have a go at de-liding

Ej24 likes this.
  39. Ej24

Ej24 Gawd

I recommend the rockit cool kit. Super easy. Just to play it safe I practiced on a pentium cpu I had lying around before doing my i7. Maybe you could get a dead cpu off ebay for $5 for practice if you're concerned. The delidding isn't the difficult part, it's the liquid metal. It behaves unlike any liquid you're used to handling, and I can almost guarantee you'll use too much the first time. As for which brand, I definitely recommend the thermal grizzly conductonaut which AFAIK never dries out, and needs no curing. Some other brands need to be heat cured or sit for 24 hours before using the cpu, and some can dry up after a year and lose contact. It's not that risky if done right. Good luck!

NuclearLemons likes this.
  40. masteralef

masteralef n00b

Curious whether you've tried to put in any sort of fan on the motherboard side. The CPU itself is obviously fine, but the entire motherboard side now has no air except for when the PSU fan is on. Are you worried about the components there?