• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

What about the real questions here: Is it fun as shit? Is it more involved than The Secret World? More satisfying combat? Quests = fun? Lots to do? Etc.


Having played both, my answer is unfortunately no. I found it less involved and less fun than TSW.
 
Having played both, my answer is unfortunately no. I found i less involved and less fun than TSW.

Well that's a shame, yet I somehow expected this answer.

Anyone else put in his/her 2 cents?
 
Having played both, my answer is unfortunately no. I found it less involved and less fun than TSW.

And yet GW2 will be the landslide winner in box sales which will fund the longevity of the game and if they deliver on their content update promises, sustain it's playerbase (especially with a non-subscription based model). Plus the robust PvP will keep players engaged when they get tired of PvE

Despite the "cool factor" and some of the ideas that TSW has, I have no doubt that it will eventually go the way of Conan. It is Funcom after all, and TSW is going to attract more of a niche MMO crowd.
 
I didn't play TSW... the fact that it's being made by Funcom just left some bitter AoC tastes in my mouth.

My friend did play it though and he's going with GW2.
 
I'm running a single 7970 on 2560x1440. I'm planning on trying to pick up the Sapphire 6GB Toxic 7970, will be interesting to see if that makes a difference. I know the game isn't fully optimized to it's maximum potential yet, though. We shall see how it runs at release. It ran pretty well for the most part on the last couple beta weekends. I have yet to try large scale PvP though so I can't speak on that. But I didn't seem to notice much if any frame rate issues even in some of the larger scale events I participated in. I was pretty pleased considering how many character models were on the screen at one time in some of the events.

The VRAM won't make any difference. GW2 uses a really low amount of VRAM. The ony difference will be the higher GPU core clock.
 
If you look a few posts up, you're definitely not the only one. I saw as low as 18 FPS and as high as 90-ish on my single 7970, and it really was anything but a smooth experience overall.
Well then I'm concerned about my 6950 @ 1080p.. 2500k here too with high clocks.
 
The VRAM won't make any difference. GW2 uses a really low amount of VRAM. The ony difference will be the higher GPU core clock.

Yeah I didn't figure that it did. If it were DX11 with MSAA and tessellation and whatnot, then sure. I wanted to go with the Toxic for the clock speeds. The game runs fine though. It might dip down in some areas but what MMO doesn't? Hopefully they iron it out as best they can. The only area where I'd find it to be an issue is in large scale PvP. If I was dying on a normal basis due to lag I'm sure I would get pissed about it.
 
H -> Go to Mist -> Go to Lion's Arch Portal -> Portal to any main city.


That way is probably faster, and free, but if you are already in your main city they all have portals to Lion's Arch as well.



BiH115 said:
What about the real questions here: Is it fun as shit? Is it more involved than The Secret World? More satisfying combat? Quests = fun? Lots to do? Etc.

If you are going into the game strictly looking at combat then it will not blow you away, however it is more involve then what a lot of people would have you believe on the forum. It is not just stand in front of the mob and click buttons like WoW or SWTOR. If you do that on a thief or any non-guardian/warrior then you will have a bad time. As far as the overall experience I think they have nailed it. There is so much to do in the world it blows my mind. I actually felt a little overwhelmed at first because there is just so much shit everywhere. While all the quests may not be revolutionary, they are at least presented in a new way and there are little details added in that really make the game feel alive. You will see NPCs walking across a map and think nothing of it until all the sudden they reach their destination and an event starts. All of this is added on to the fact that their is no subscription, which means no gear grind, which means i can actually play the game when I want and don't have to log in every day to do the daily dungeons to build up my gear so i can log in once a week and do a harder dungeon.
 
Last edited:
GW2 is the best MMO I have ever played, and I've played pretty much all of them since Gemstone III. It's at least as good as DAoC, which is my gold standard. The fact that it has no monthly fee and has terrific PvE and settings is a bonus.
 
Well that's a shame, yet I somehow expected this answer.

Anyone else put in his/her 2 cents?

I agree with the other poster, though I only tried TSW during during its closed beta. I just bought it today now after playing GW2 beta weekends.... I think TSW is a better game all around off hand.
 
played TSW. it's got good charm and front loaded fun(in your face questing, some are interesting), nothing that will last though. it's also got more problems design wise and less content. crashes and dying in dungeons due to bugs is extremely common and a 16 hour lockout comes with that. all the little peeves are there including node/kill stealing, lining up to wait for your turn to do a quest, LF Tank for hours all on top of lots of bugs that hinder your progress. many quests are bugged and half the stuff listed as fixed in patch notes aren't fixed.

the skill system is better than this games, in the fact that you can choose more freely. although it is not what it was marketed as, and in fact there were more viable builds and different feeling builds in the first guild wars even with classes.

the PvP is far worse and comparable to swtor. i would say however that fusang is better than Ilum but swtor's battlegrounds were more fun.

both games have their ups and downs but this conversation is one that's been repeated for the past 2 years. from the end of 2010 to now insert FFXIV, RIFT, SWTOR, TERA and TSW. different strokes.
 
I couldn't play TSW for more than 30 minutes for some reason. The character animations were horrible, everything felt "floaty", and the combat didn't feel "solid". The UI was ugly, and the character faces were horrible. I only did the first quest where you go around and collect something (I forgot what), so can't comment on quests. Granted, this was all a few months ago in the Beta, so they could have fixed a lot of my issues by now. From what I've played of GW2, it's a blast, and I hope it'll entertain me for more than a couple months, unlike the recent MMOs that've come to fruition.
 
i'll be playing TSW for the next month or so. if you're in to the type of setting it's good.
 
Yeah I didn't figure that it did. If it were DX11 with MSAA and tessellation and whatnot, then sure. I wanted to go with the Toxic for the clock speeds. The game runs fine though. It might dip down in some areas but what MMO doesn't? Hopefully they iron it out as best they can. The only area where I'd find it to be an issue is in large scale PvP. If I was dying on a normal basis due to lag I'm sure I would get pissed about it.

Most MMOs only have problems with high pop/action areas with hundreds of players. Guild Wars 2 has a problem just rendering the environment at an acceptable frame rate. I got better FPS in the Planetside 2 test.
 
Most MMOs only have problems with high pop/action areas with hundreds of players. Guild Wars 2 has a problem just rendering the environment at an acceptable frame rate. I got better FPS in the Planetside 2 test.

My only framerate drops were 100+ person battles with a lot of siege.
 
I think it's cool that it's free like the first game was, so hopefully they keep pumping out content expansions as well, that'd make it worth it. I may get this, combat looks pretty cool in the videos I've watched. Should get plenty of entertainment out of it.
 
I heard from a friend that there will be world pvp!! When did this change? Anyone have some details?
 
I think it's cool that it's free like the first game was, so hopefully they keep pumping out content expansions as well, that'd make it worth it. I may get this, combat looks pretty cool in the videos I've watched. Should get plenty of entertainment out of it.

Well it's not really "free", lol. Subscription-free, though, yes. Honestly, I would never play an MMO with a subscription fee these days.
 
Hmm, Charr females? I didn't really check them out... and even Asura??? I just feel... weird checking out a little Asura girl... woman.

I'm making a Charr male ranger on release. I found a few things very shocking... polls show Charr as the least popular race and a Charr ranger to be insanely rare (Sylvari Ranger was by far the most popular ranger).


Can you post the Polls data here?
 
I misunderstood, my bad.

I enjoyed reading the info though, so thanks for the link :)

Indeed the WvWvW looks more like a large Wintergrasp (wow reference)... i just hope it's more fun.

Hopefully they'll have crafting resources and good farming spots inside the zone so that there are real things for people to fight over (as, imo, that's what creates good World PVP).

It is cool to hear that you get look off players.
 
GW2 is the best MMO I have ever played, and I've played pretty much all of them since Gemstone III. It's at least as good as DAoC, which is my gold standard. The fact that it has no monthly fee and has terrific PvE and settings is a bonus.

Props to a fellow ex-Gemstoner :cool:

INVASION!!!!!111
 
What are you guys launching with?

I plan on making either a human or sylvari male warrior.

Alt will either be a human or sylvari female elementalist.
 
What are you guys launching with?

I plan on making either a human or sylvari male warrior.

Alt will either be a human or sylvari female elementalist.

i think a sexy gorgeous perfectly shape breasted Norn Female Ranger.
 
I kind of miss pre-searing - I thought it was a great way to teach new folks the ropes.

I only played this weekend's beta for a couple of hours. Performance on my HD4670 was a lot better than the last beta weekend.

Not sure on the game yet - I liked GW1's PvE a lot. I liked that most of the game was instanced - but then again, I love a good co-op RPG, and I'm not big on MMOs at all.

Seems nice so far - I'll surely try it out for a while.
 
My only framerate drops were 100+ person battles with a lot of siege.
I got framerate drops all over the place. Dynamic events, looking at landscape with a lot of draw distance. What's strange is that PVP battles were mostly a smoother experience. :confused:
 
PvP was smoother for me too, although my frame rate was just excellent this weekend. in WvW and sPvP i was getting 70-90 fps. it went lower in PvE but was still above 55 for the most part. it's alot more enjoyable with a good frame rate.
 
I'm jealous of you guys that aren't having any performance problems. It was a pretty frustrating experience at times over the weekend. I'm not even sure how to explain why some can run eyefinity resolutions with a single 7970 and I can barely even run 1080p.
 
I'm jealous of you guys that aren't having any performance problems. It was a pretty frustrating experience at times over the weekend. I'm not even sure how to explain why some can run eyefinity resolutions with a single 7970 and I can barely even run 1080p.

I wonder if cpu speed is playing a part in this
 
I'm jealous of you guys that aren't having any performance problems. It was a pretty frustrating experience at times over the weekend. I'm not even sure how to explain why some can run eyefinity resolutions with a single 7970 and I can barely even run 1080p.

lol, in the last BWE i was right there with you. my brother was sitting high on the hog with a 670 and 111 fps all the time while i was struggling to pass 30. they are definitely working out optimization but the work isn't done yet. they'll make an announcement once it's workable across the board and then release recommended specs.
 
Ya I am not playing at launch now either. I played in the last two beta's a little bit, but they took out the FAV options and I cant take the motion and screen shake. A Lot of people are complaining about it so I think they will add it back once they get it figured out. The camera is mostly just too damn close to the character.
 
I wonder if cpu speed is playing a part in this
I dunno. 4.7 GHz 2500K, 16GB DDR3-1600, game's installed on a Crucial M4.
lol, in the last BWE i was right there with you. my brother was sitting high on the hog with a 670 and 111 fps all the time while i was struggling to pass 30. they are definitely working out optimization but the work isn't done yet. they'll make an announcement once it's workable across the board and then release recommended specs.
Interestingly, my performance was better in BWE2. Not extraordinarily so but noticeably. Not sure if that had anything to do with my updating my drivers to Cat 12.7 beta's this round.
 
Back
Top