• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Often, people respond with the "no game will let you loadout with any skills you want" - Yet GW1 did. You don't really need GW1's system in GW2 though.

I agree with everything you said but just to let "people" know. their is a game that lets you load out with ANY Skills you want and that is The Secret World. No Max level, no cap, you can earn every f'n skill and every passive and every weapon in the game and then you can PICK what active and passive skills you want and create entirely your own friggin build you want. I like it and its refreshing reminds me of the old days of Ultima Online where I could GM in 8 skills and you could be w/e the f you wanted. Max swords, magic, bows, etc.

Guild Wars 2 is a fun game and I will play it but I really DONT like is the bullshit where you only get like 5 skills per weapon or w/e it is and it stays that way from level 1 to f;n 60. I mean hell you have all ur skills unlocked from that weapon by like level 6. Only way to make it interesting is weapon swapping in battles to build a snergy.
 
Last edited:
I agree with everything you said but just to let "people" know. their is a game that lets you load out with ANY Skills you want and that is The Secret World. No Max level, no cap, you can earn every f'n skill and every passive and every weapon in the game and then you can PICK what active and passive skills you want and create entirely your own friggin build you want. I like it and its refreshing reminds me of the old days of Ultima Online where I could GM in 8 skills and you could be w/e the f you wanted. Max swords, magic, bows, etc.

Guild Wars 2 is a fun game and I will play it but I really DONT like is the bullshit where you only get like 5 skills per weapon or w/e it is and it stays that way from level 1 to f;n 60. I mean hell you have all ur skills unlocked from that weapon by like level 6. Only way to make it interesting is weapon swapping in battles to build a snergy.

Perhaps this is something they will consider in the future. To me it's not a deal breaker by any means, but it is somewhat discouraging that the majority the classes are limited to those few skills, and few weapon types. I would have liked to see a mix of skills that you could pick from like Intel said above, there should most definitely be more skills than the 5 you get per weapon type, so that you can swap them out for build diversity. I would also like to see more weapon types per class. For example, there is no reason why a ranger shouldn't be able to use a Rifle, especially when they already have much stranger weapon sets like Guardians with staves and Mesmers with Guns/2-Handed swords. I would like to see more of the weapon types open to all the classes, furthering the potential of diversity. Everyone goes nuts over customization in these types of games. One of the biggest turn offs to myself, and I'm sure tons of other MMO players, is a lack thereof.
 
Perhaps this is something they will consider in the future. To me it's not a deal breaker by any means, but it is somewhat discouraging that the majority the classes are limited to those few skills, and few weapon types. I would have liked to see a mix of skills that you could pick from like Intel said above, there should most definitely be more skills than the 5 you get per weapon type, so that you can swap them out for build diversity. I would also like to see more weapon types per class. For example, there is no reason why a ranger shouldn't be able to use a Rifle, especially when they already have much stranger weapon sets like Guardians with staves and Mesmers with Guns/2-Handed swords. I would like to see more of the weapon types open to all the classes, furthering the potential of diversity. Everyone goes nuts over customization in these types of games. One of the biggest turn offs to myself, and I'm sure tons of other MMO players, is a lack thereof.
Yes, but at the same time, come max level and the min/maxers will have said that weapon X is the best to use along with skills XYZ. Everyone will flock to it or be ridiculed. Most games have gone this route and I don't see that changing in GW2 or any other game on the horizon.
 
Yes, but at the same time, come max level and the min/maxers will have said that weapon X is the best to use along with skills XYZ. Everyone will flock to it or be ridiculed. Most games have gone this route and I don't see that changing in GW2 or any other game on the horizon.

There will likely be a best build for each individual weapon, but I dont think it will come down to ONE weapon being the blatantly obvious weapon of choice for all situations. Seeing as a lot of the games focus is on PvP, that opens up a wide array of potential builds for tackling player-opponents. I know if I was playing with a group full of friends, I would have us all spec to create the best synergy and widest array of ability types. It's definitely not as simple as WoW or some other MMOs with skill trees that are so obviously better than the others. Also, GW2 is less of a "memememememe" kind of game. You are relying heavily on others, especially in large dymanic events and large scale PvP. One persons build is definitely not going to make or break whether or not you live or die, win or lose. It's more so about playing as a team and having good communication. That all being said, I still think there should be more diversity and I hope Anet goes in the direction of continuing to open up customization options.
 
Someone quickly explain combat in GW2 for me, please. I youtubed and read on the official site that you can dodge and things like that, but it still looks to me like the standard "hotkey" type of gameplay, except that you can move while attacking. Is it still sticky targeting? As in, clicking on a mob/player selects them permanently unless you select another target?

I guess I'm asking if combat is more like an FPS/action game (like Planetside 2 without sticky targetting, or even Tera/Darkfall Online) or more like WoW with casting delays/hotkeys/stickytarget.

...because I grow so bored of sticky targetting and casting delays.
 
Someone quickly explain combat in GW2 for me, please. I youtubed and read on the official site that you can dodge and things like that, but it still looks to me like the standard "hotkey" type of gameplay, except that you can move while attacking. Is it still sticky targeting? As in, clicking on a mob/player selects them permanently unless you select another target?

I guess I'm asking if combat is more like an FPS/action game (like Planetside 2 without sticky targetting, or even Tera/Darkfall Online) or more like WoW with casting delays/hotkeys/stickytarget.

...because I grow so bored of sticky targetting and casting delays.

It has sticky targeting (tab targeting) combined with more or less a hit detection based system that makes the dodge mechanic work. The basic execution of your abilities is going to be pressing hotkeys with an auto attack on said target.
 
Someone quickly explain combat in GW2 for me, please. I youtubed and read on the official site that you can dodge and things like that, but it still looks to me like the standard "hotkey" type of gameplay, except that you can move while attacking. Is it still sticky targeting? As in, clicking on a mob/player selects them permanently unless you select another target?

I guess I'm asking if combat is more like an FPS/action game (like Planetside 2 without sticky targetting, or even Tera/Darkfall Online) or more like WoW with casting delays/hotkeys/stickytarget.

...because I grow so bored of sticky targetting and casting delays.

I asked a similar question and a bunch of people jumped down my throat, lol.
 
I asked a similar question and a bunch of people jumped down my throat, lol.

At this point after 3 open beta weekends, there are thousands upon thousands of player submitted videos on Youtube. If you haven't participated in a beta event, you can pretty much find out anything you want about the mechanics of the game through watching a couple videos.
 
At this point after 3 open beta weekends, there are thousands upon thousands of player submitted videos on Youtube. If you haven't participated in a beta event, you can pretty much find out anything you want about the mechanics of the game through watching a couple videos.

There is a type of targetting mechanic where on a mouseover, a circle appears under a mob/player but it isn't "stuck" on that mob/player. Hard to tell from vids.

But anyway, not my type of game.
 
At this point after 3 open beta weekends, there are thousands upon thousands of player submitted videos on Youtube. If you haven't participated in a beta event, you can pretty much find out anything you want about the mechanics of the game through watching a couple videos.

No, I know, I did play the beta. If you go back a few pages you'll see what I'm talking about.
 
At this point after 3 open beta weekends, there are thousands upon thousands of player submitted videos on Youtube. If you haven't participated in a beta event, you can pretty much find out anything you want about the mechanics of the game through watching a couple videos.

you couldve answered his question in the same or less amount of words that you used here telling him to watch videos..
 
you couldve answered his question in the same or less amount of words that you used here telling him to watch videos..

I'm not trying to be a dick or scold anyone. Someone already answered his question. I was just saying...if it were me, that's what I would do.
 
There will likely be a best build for each individual weapon, but I dont think it will come down to ONE weapon being the blatantly obvious weapon of choice for all situations. Seeing as a lot of the games focus is on PvP, that opens up a wide array of potential builds for tackling player-opponents. I know if I was playing with a group full of friends, I would have us all spec to create the best synergy and widest array of ability types. It's definitely not as simple as WoW or some other MMOs with skill trees that are so obviously better than the others. Also, GW2 is less of a "memememememe" kind of game. You are relying heavily on others, especially in large dymanic events and large scale PvP. One persons build is definitely not going to make or break whether or not you live or die, win or lose. It's more so about playing as a team and having good communication. That all being said, I still think there should be more diversity and I hope Anet goes in the direction of continuing to open up customization options.

Largely true, definitely not as simple as WoW. I believe it will likely end up like Rift, with 2 or 3 specs you use depending on what you are doing. I still expect people doing the 5 v 5 matches will have min/max setups. The larger WvWvW stuff will be varied enough that you can run with whatever you like, but over time, people will gravitate toward a single weapon/spec setup that is considered the best.
 
Largely true, definitely not as simple as WoW. I believe it will likely end up like Rift, with 2 or 3 specs you use depending on what you are doing. I still expect people doing the 5 v 5 matches will have min/max setups. The larger WvWvW stuff will be varied enough that you can run with whatever you like, but over time, people will gravitate toward a single weapon/spec setup that is considered the best.

That's fine. I'll be looking forward to killing n00bs who googled their cookie cutter spec. At least with dodge mechanics and swappable weapon ability sets, SKILL will come into play in small party PvP skirmishes.
 
Largely true, definitely not as simple as WoW. I believe it will likely end up like Rift, with 2 or 3 specs you use depending on what you are doing. I still expect people doing the 5 v 5 matches will have min/max setups. The larger WvWvW stuff will be varied enough that you can run with whatever you like, but over time, people will gravitate toward a single weapon/spec setup that is considered the best.

It really depends.

Right now the best tournament 5v5 strategy is honestly to change specs DURING the fight. It's because it's entirely possible to gear swap / skill swap. The advantages are gaining movement speed buffs when you need it etc.

This was brought up as an issue and we might see weapons / skills being locked inside of a sPvP match.
 
That's fine. I'll be looking forward to killing n00bs who googled their cookie cutter spec. At least with dodge mechanics and swappable weapon ability sets, SKILL will come into play in small party PvP skirmishes.

This. It holds true in both secret world and guild wars 2, frankly. I think TSW is going to be my vice, but they both share a lot of game play ideas.
 
That's fine. I'll be looking forward to killing n00bs who googled their cookie cutter spec. At least with dodge mechanics and swappable weapon ability sets, SKILL will come into play in small party PvP skirmishes.

Oh I know...had a guy bitching about how weak theifs are. I laughed....sword+dagger plus skills gives you two ports in and out. Swap to bow and demolish while they look for you. After I showed the guy (potentially a guildie) that in a wvwvw setting he about shit himself.

BTW, That will have people crying....

Guardian will be my main, but thinking theif and elemental will be alts..
 
For someone that has never played guild wars 1, would you recommend for me to start playing in order to gain some points in hall of monuments?

Will it be very time consuming? Im looking to only get about 20 points but I have no idea what to do or where to begin.
 
For someone that has never played guild wars 1, would you recommend for me to start playing in order to gain some points in hall of monuments?

Will it be very time consuming? Im looking to only get about 20 points but I have no idea what to do or where to begin.

It's pretty time-consuming and would take quite a bit of dedication, even for just 20 points. Honestly, it's probably not worth it if you're doing it just for the HoM points.
 
If you buy GW1, and play though all of the chapters, you should have about 8 points in your HoM. That would probably take 40-80-120 hours, depending on your pace and need for completing side quests. After that, you'd get more points by buying in game armor and weapons, collecting some pets, both ranger and mini pets, and upgrading your hero's armor. The last material HoMM reward is at 30 points, 30 points could probably be achieved in 1-2-4 months if you play a lot, say 2-5 hours a day.

It's probably not worth it, if you're just doing it for GW2. But as cheap as GW1 is, you might as well buy it and see if you like it. If you like it, then you might find getting 30/50 to be fun. Even 40/50 isn't too bad. But the last 10 points or so, can be rather grindy and expensive, in game currency wise.

see:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guide_to_earning_Hall_of_Monuments_rewards
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/19909-how-long-to-get-3050-in-hom/

And supposedly, you'll be able to continue acquiring HoM points, which will continue to apply to your GW2 account, even after GW2 launches.
 
Well I went for the pre-order and played in BWE3. I thought the game was fun but I do have some concerns. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this 'no holy trinity' game design decision. What makes a character unique? If all professions can deal dmg, all can CC, all can heal themselves. Where is the feeling of fitting into a role? I really hope this isn't a case where everyone is basically the same but have different ways of healing, CCing and dmging.

I am sure I will get the hang of how the grouping will work but right now it is confusing to me.
 
Well I went for the pre-order and played in BWE3. I thought the game was fun but I do have some concerns. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this 'no holy trinity' game design decision. What makes a character unique? If all professions can deal dmg, all can CC, all can heal themselves. Where is the feeling of fitting into a role? I really hope this isn't a case where everyone is basically the same but have different ways of healing, CCing and dmging.

I am sure I will get the hang of how the grouping will work but right now it is confusing to me.

GW1 didn't have tanks so that was one leg of the holy trinity gone.

In general, everyone has to take care of themselves with some group synergy thrown in (combo fields, group buffs, general gameplay, etc.). A character is unique by definition from their build (traits, skill choices, weapon choice, etc.).
 
Well a guardian or warrior with a shield can block incoming damage, shield allies etc, there's no tank but there's support class that fits different roles (water ele can heal allies) so yeah it's going to be different but you can switch from DD to support simply by swicthing weapon if your group requires it, much better than a respec imo
 
GW1 didn't have tanks so that was one leg of the holy trinity gone.

In general, everyone has to take care of themselves with some group synergy thrown in (combo fields, group buffs, general gameplay, etc.). A character is unique by definition from their build (traits, skill choices, weapon choice, etc.).

Hopefully they make moves unique and good enough that you notice when someone uses something from their spec. (unlike D3, where all moves were basically the same)

I too am eagerly awaiting this game, but i don't have a countdown or anythin :p
 
Hopefully they make moves unique and good enough that you notice when someone uses something from their spec. (unlike D3, where all moves were basically the same)

I too am eagerly awaiting this game, but i don't have a countdown or anythin :p

Many of the ground effects and animations can tell you what class and weapon sets you opponents are using. It takes time to learn them all, I don't know them all but can recognize most classes now.
 
Many of the ground effects and animations can tell you what class and weapon sets you opponents are using. It takes time to learn them all, I don't know them all but can recognize most classes now.

Hopefully different specced classes are as distinguishable as different classes.
 
Hopefully different specced classes are as distinguishable as different classes.

You're going to have to know what to expect, or at least have an idea. Elementalist up in your face with daggers? Probably know what he's doing. Giant norn warrior with a greatsword? Get ready to dodge. Warrior with a rifle? Hope you brought your condition remover. Good builds will evolve, and so will the counters.
 
Hopefully different specced classes are as distinguishable as different classes.

I think so, even playing a necromancer different weapons were completly different play styles. Using a 1hand axe gave me more dirrect damage abilities, while using a scepter was more aoe damage abilities. And using a staff was a trap/debuff class.

Some of them encouraged a more in your enemies face style and some were more of a kite and debuff style. Int he end changing your weapons gave you a completly different class style and feel, I enjoyed it very much.
 
It's almost August, which means we'll be in the same month as release. It can't come soon enough.
 
I think so, even playing a necromancer different weapons were completly different play styles. Using a 1hand axe gave me more dirrect damage abilities, while using a scepter was more aoe damage abilities. And using a staff was a trap/debuff class.

Some of them encouraged a more in your enemies face style and some were more of a kite and debuff style. Int he end changing your weapons gave you a completly different class style and feel, I enjoyed it very much.

You're going to have to know what to expect, or at least have an idea. Elementalist up in your face with daggers? Probably know what he's doing. Giant norn warrior with a greatsword? Get ready to dodge. Warrior with a rifle? Hope you brought your condition remover. Good builds will evolve, and so will the counters.

i think its pretty possible.. i mean you can make a thief thats ranged or melee i'd say those are two pretty different spec's

Sounds bitchin. I want to play.
 
Hopefully different specced classes are as distinguishable as different classes.

For sure some are class/spec combos are recognizable. Like someone mentioned the thief with ranged versus melee specs.

Honestly the way the game is designed, you can create characters and learn the class basics for every class by level 10. (limited character spots though) You can then really start to tell the difference in WvWvW settings. Fire elementalist versus lightning and what weapon sets they are using.

My only complaint in WvWvW, you don't get to see character names of who you are fighting.
 
I wish they would flush out some of the PvP elements to the game, that will fully make it polished. Maybe it was just me, but I saw some inconsistencies in sPvP games where the entire party window wouldn't load, so it'd be confusing as hell as to how many teammates you are really playing with. Or even who is where on the map. Or the combat log still needing more polish, IMO. I also wish status/conditions were a little bit bigger or adjustable at least. Right now, they're really tiny on the screen.
 
Back
Top