• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Ya I am not playing at launch now either. I played in the last two beta's a little bit, but they took out the FAV options and I cant take the motion and screen shake. A Lot of people are complaining about it so I think they will add it back once they get it figured out. The camera is mostly just too damn close to the character.

I felt this past beta weekend i was able to Zoom WAY further out then a few beta's ago, I felt the camera was slightly improved from my point.
 
I'm jealous of you guys that aren't having any performance problems. It was a pretty frustrating experience at times over the weekend. I'm not even sure how to explain why some can run eyefinity resolutions with a single 7970 and I can barely even run 1080p.

I would definatly try different drives, the game ran just great on my 6950 running eyefinity (2500k@4500, 8 gb ram and also installed on a m4 SSD).

I was running 11.5 drivers and not a single issue so i think it might be a dirver issue for you
 
Ya I am not playing at launch now either. I played in the last two beta's a little bit, but they took out the FAV options and I cant take the motion and screen shake. A Lot of people are complaining about it so I think they will add it back once they get it figured out. The camera is mostly just too damn close to the character.

Screenshake can be turned off in the options: "Enable Camera Shake"
 
I would definatly try different drives, the game ran just great on my 6950 running eyefinity (2500k@4500, 8 gb ram and also installed on a m4 SSD).

I was running 11.5 drivers and not a single issue so i think it might be a dirver issue for you
Well, I was using older drivers last BWE without great results. But I'd give it a shot if there was still a beta going on. :(
 
Ya I am not playing at launch now either. I played in the last two beta's a little bit, but they took out the FAV options and I cant take the motion and screen shake. A Lot of people are complaining about it so I think they will add it back once they get it figured out. The camera is mostly just too damn close to the character.

....You can zoom out quite far now (at least in this last beta weekend event) it was a lot further out then before.

As posted above, you can also turn off the screen shake.
 
Ya I am not playing at launch now either. I played in the last two beta's a little bit, but they took out the FAV options and I cant take the motion and screen shake. A Lot of people are complaining about it so I think they will add it back once they get it figured out. The camera is mostly just too damn close to the character.

i'm only not playing at launch due to having real world things to do. they did increase camera distance and FOV btw.
 
I would definatly try different drives, the game ran just great on my 6950 running eyefinity (2500k@4500, 8 gb ram and also installed on a m4 SSD).

I was running 11.5 drivers and not a single issue so i think it might be a dirver issue for you

You didn't have slowdowns, even in larger PvP? I was doing 20 to 30ish FPS in very large battles.
 
You didn't have slowdowns, even in larger PvP? I was doing 20 to 30ish FPS in very large battles.

I don't think there's any way you can avoid that though. I don't think any game has ever scaled so well that incredibly large scenarios had no slowdown. That said, 20-30 fps during very large encounters should be fine. You can't expect very controlled FPS in a very uncontrolled setting.
 
You didn't have slowdowns, even in larger PvP? I was doing 20 to 30ish FPS in very large battles.

I dont look at fps numbers anymore. I find that at times "sluggish performance" is in your head so i cant give you a number. I do know that I never had stutters and slow downs in WvW pvp both attacking and defending keeps. Unless my screen was filled with effects like dust, explosions, fire all at once. Really only happened when the keep walls would fall. After the few seconds and they were down everything was fine again

I kept most gfx settings at high except shadows I dropped to low and the game ran great, all i know is the fps was above 30fps as thats where I start to notice bad performance lol (atleats in most games)

edit: one place in the game did lag and get choppy for me, the sylvari starting zone theres a skill challenge that involves climbing a giant tree and floating rocks. Half way up where rocks are crashing and shooting dust clouds up infront/around you that made is very choppy for 1-2 seconds.
 
Last edited:
I don't think there's any way you can avoid that though. I don't think any game has ever scaled so well that incredibly large scenarios had no slowdown. That said, 20-30 fps during very large encounters should be fine. You can't expect very controlled FPS in a very uncontrolled setting.

Was hoping for a hardware fix I guess. 20 FPS with 50+ people on a keep lord was annoying. I saw no difference running high settings versus low settings.
 
To put it in perspective. This is how I play...

2012-07-24_182939.jpg
 
Ya I am not playing at launch now either. I played in the last two beta's a little bit, but they took out the FAV options and I cant take the motion and screen shake. A Lot of people are complaining about it so I think they will add it back once they get it figured out. The camera is mostly just too damn close to the character.

I also believe I saw a camera distance slider in the options. I could be wrong though. I dont mind some camera shake to a point. did not do much this beta to see it much si I cannot speak to how it was this time around.
 
I also believe I saw a camera distance slider in the options. I could be wrong though. I dont mind some camera shake to a point. did not do much this beta to see it much si I cannot speak to how it was this time around.

yea you saw it. they've already added camera distance options and you can disable the camera shake.
 
Pretty excited about this game! I found this amusing while messing with the GW2 census site... 89 % of players are male, but 32.8 % of player characters are female.

Just another reminder... that person you've been cybering with? It's a dude!

On a more serious note though... Other than humans, the split by race is pretty even and the split by classes is even. I don't think I've ever seen an MMO posting values like that. Normally it's heavily skewed towards specific races/classes.

Looks very promising!
 
Scree shake can be immersive -- if you are really engaged in the game and there is an in-game earthquake and your screen starts shaking, you feel all shaken up just like your character would be. That's the point, anyway - appreciation of the effect may vary among players.
 
Currently wasted 11 minutes of my life on this. Hoping there is something at the end...

They have this thing now on Youtube, a red and gray slider bar on the bottom of each video player. You can slide it to the right to skip things you don't enjoy, and see what's at the end.
 
I don't think there's any way you can avoid that though. I don't think any game has ever scaled so well that incredibly large scenarios had no slowdown. That said, 20-30 fps during very large encounters should be fine. You can't expect very controlled FPS in a very uncontrolled setting.

Yeah you can. Go play WoW or Aion.
 
Yeah you can. Go play WoW or Aion.

He's saying in general, and when a lot of shit happens, it's unpredictable. Also WoW is at least 8 years old now, with low poly counts all over, and literally nothing special happening with the game-engine at any point in time.
 
There are 300 people in a WvW map.

And yes I played WoW. Low pop place > high pop place in relative FPS. So... what's your point?

There was no point, sounds like rambling to me. You had it right, unpredictable situations cause unpredictable outcomes.
 
I'm kind of sad about my hall of monuments. I did almost all of my prophecies stuff on one account. Years later, I forgot my login for this account and I wanted to get all the xpacs so I just bought GOTY + EOTN and remade an account. I did all of the xpac stuff on this account. Naturally, I eventually remembered my login for the first account and have that too now.

Now all of HoM stuff is spaced between two accounts...
 
I played WoW and never saw battles with the scale I have seen in GW2. Maybe back before battlegrounds around TM when there was hundreds of people running around fighting, but I remember slowdowns then too.

Well it may of not been hundreds of people, av in vanilla wow was pretty epic at times. 8 hour battles that went back and forth, both teams summoning there giant elementals and pushing forward. Was very awesome lol
 
I'm kind of sad about my hall of monuments. I did almost all of my prophecies stuff on one account. Years later, I forgot my login for this account and I wanted to get all the xpacs so I just bought GOTY + EOTN and remade an account. I did all of the xpac stuff on this account. Naturally, I eventually remembered my login for the first account and have that too now.

Now all of HoM stuff is spaced between two accounts...

Alright Intel, I seem to always read your posts and I can't help but ask you questions (also argue with you..), so everyone I've talked to in my close circle that has played all Beta events, says the game is "boring", and that it's significantly containing less than ample amounts of skills, also that it's "boring". Now I know you've got some info. for me regarding why the game isn't any of these. I really wanted to get into this, but if no one is going to play that I know, what's the point.
 
Alright Intel, I seem to always read your posts and I can't help but ask you questions (also argue with you..), so everyone I've talked to in my close circle that has played all Beta events, says the game is "boring", and that it's significantly containing less than ample amounts of skills, also that it's "boring". Now I know you've got some info. for me regarding why the game isn't any of these. I really wanted to get into this, but if no one is going to play that I know, what's the point.

I agree with your close circle that the game is boring. I played in two Beta events (I prepurchased) and for the third beta event I could not bother to log on. The game feels like I'm in a old navy commercial with beautiful people but no substance. I hear PVP is a blast but since I'm into PVE I guess I will never know.
 
I agree with your close circle that the game is boring. I played in two Beta events (I prepurchased) and for the third beta event I could not bother to log on. The game feels like I'm in a old navy commercial with beautiful people but no substance. I hear PVP is a blast but since I'm into PVE I guess I will never know.

I mean I usually trust their decisions, none of them are fanboys and give me honest opinions about what they think of games that I haven't gotten to play. I'm curious what reasoning people have to play it, the ones that think the game is fun that is. Clearly not everyone thinks it's boring.
 
Anyone running a dual core i3? Hearing this game will be CPU intensive and I am curious on how they are performing.
 
Alright Intel, I seem to always read your posts and I can't help but ask you questions (also argue with you..), so everyone I've talked to in my close circle that has played all Beta events, says the game is "boring", and that it's significantly containing less than ample amounts of skills, also that it's "boring". Now I know you've got some info. for me regarding why the game isn't any of these. I really wanted to get into this, but if no one is going to play that I know, what's the point.

I don't think you can argue with someone whether something is boring. If they don't like it, then they just don't like it. What's the point of any game really when you boil it down. However, I will comment that the goal of GW2 is to focus on core gameplay and make the game fun to play regardless of classical motivators like epic gear or rewards through grinding. They don't want you to go login to only play for what's at the end of the grind, they want to make the actual playing of the game enjoyable. Anet accomplishes this through various means. You essentially get rewarded for doing just about anything in the game. There's no direct path to the "end game" and there's no one thing at "end game" that you will repeat for a singular reward that defines the game. This is a pretty foreign concept to a lot of MMO players, so their standard question is likely "what's the point" - which would have to be analyzed on an individual basis really. If you really need classical MMO motivators, then you might get bored of GW2 or feel like there's no point.

I played a ton during the first BWE. I didn't play very much during the second since there wasn't much new content and I already did everything from the first BWE. I played a lot more during the 3rd BWE since they had a release date announced and new races / cities to explore.

I'm actually not a fan of the skill system though and can see why some get "bored" by it. In my opinion, if they had to go with weapon specific skills, the best way would be to make weapons have 8-10 skills and you get to pick and choose 5 of them. One reason would be build diversity / skill diversity in general. Another reason is basically there is no weapon that has 5 skills that I like for a specific loadout. It just doesn't happen. At least 1 or 2 skills are skills I really don't want on my bar and would like to replace with something else. There's also huge skill diversity disparity between classes. Engineers can potentially load out with 30 skills due to kits. Lots of diversity. Elementalists have a huge amount of skills due to aspect swapping (essentially 4*5 skills per weapon). Yet the other classes are nowhere near this kind of skill diversity for any particular loadout. It kind of confuses me why they went with this as a design decision and then did such big splits on an individual class basis.

Often, people respond with the "no game will let you loadout with any skills you want" - Yet GW1 did. You don't really need GW1's system in GW2 though. Again, I think 8-10 skills per weapon and you get to choose 5 of them would be excellent for this system. It can be tweaked to accommodate engineer / elementalists since they already have an overwhelming number of skills to deal with. The typical response of "skill system is fine" are from the eles / engis which leads to really misguided "discussions".
 
I don't think you can argue with someone whether something is boring. If they don't like it, then they just don't like it. What's the point of any game really when you boil it down. However, I will comment that the goal of GW2 is to focus on core gameplay and make the game fun to play regardless of classical motivators like epic gear or rewards through grinding. They don't want you to go login to only play for what's at the end of the grind, they want to make the actual playing of the game enjoyable. Anet accomplishes this through various means. You essentially get rewarded for doing just about anything in the game. There's no direct path to the "end game" and there's no one thing at "end game" that you will repeat for a singular reward that defines the game. This is a pretty foreign concept to a lot of MMO players, so their standard question is likely "what's the point" - which would have to be analyzed on an individual basis really. If you really need classical MMO motivators, then you might get bored of GW2 or feel like there's no point.

I played a ton during the first BWE. I didn't play very much during the second since there wasn't much new content and I already did everything from the first BWE. I played a lot more during the 3rd BWE since they had a release date announced and new races / cities to explore.

I'm actually not a fan of the skill system though and can see why some get "bored" by it. In my opinion, if they had to go with weapon specific skills, the best way would be to make weapons have 8-10 skills and you get to pick and choose 5 of them. One reason would be build diversity / skill diversity in general. Another reason is basically there is no weapon that has 5 skills that I like for a specific loadout. It just doesn't happen. At least 1 or 2 skills are skills I really don't want on my bar and would like to replace with something else. There's also huge skill diversity disparity between classes. Engineers can potentially load out with 30 skills due to kits. Lots of diversity. Elementalists have a huge amount of skills due to aspect swapping (essentially 4*5 skills per weapon). Yet the other classes are nowhere near this kind of skill diversity for any particular loadout. It kind of confuses me why they went with this as a design decision and then did such big splits on an individual class basis.

Often, people respond with the "no game will let you loadout with any skills you want" - Yet GW1 did. You don't really need GW1's system in GW2 though. Again, I think 8-10 skills per weapon and you get to choose 5 of them would be excellent for this system. It can be tweaked to accommodate engineer / elementalists since they already have an overwhelming number of skills to deal with. The typical response of "skill system is fine" are from the eles / engis which leads to really misguided "discussions".

Thanks. Interesting, sounds like most of what I got from friends who analyzed the game for what it is, and what it could/should be. To me, from watching videos and gameplay, it looks like fun, and being a more PvE focused player, it looks great too. I may still end up trying it regardless.
 
Back
Top