• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnx-M3aoFVw

So for a melee skill demonstration, I used "Swoop" (basically a charge attack). Without a target, my ranger went right past the enemy despite literally hitting it and sliding around it. With a target, behaving correctly.

For ranged, I used simply a shortbow and any skill. Notice how the target is slightly uphill. All of my attacks now whiff into the ground without a target. Acquire target, everything is now fine.

So clearly, if you really want to avoid these situations, you pretty much have to use tab targeting.
 
http://youtu.be/J1B49NUKuFA

So clearly, if you really want to avoid these situations, you pretty much have to use tab targeting.

or judge the distance properly before using the skill. i hit with a shield bash in one instance and missed in another(he was running forward so i should have done it a second sooner). otherwise as long as you're hitting you are good.

i'll land a swoop on a moving target real quick too.
 
I'm not even sure what you're getting at anymore. The point is, it's clearly far better to use the tab targeting system because frankly at its base, that's what the game system is.

I still don't see how that resolves shooting uphill. You're saying never shoot uphill? And is swoop unusable at a range closer than 1100? Really?
 
HAv eArenanet talked about having any kidn of post character creation customization?

In many mmo's it's becoming the norm to be able to change things (your hair style, even facial features depending on the game) and I'm wondering if Guild Wars 2 will have that?

I love the Sylvari but it'd be nice to be able to change them up because they have sooooooooo many character creation options.
 
Dat elevation: http://youtu.be/oy_sHPuqrGA

i use the bow and right mouse aim up in the air, to the ground and in front of me. hopeflly you can see the projectile every shot and where it goes. i struggled to find a golem that was on a different elevation to me. i went uphill and shot forward, up and down again with my arrow going above the golem's head, into the ground before reaching the golem and hitting the golem.

i went to the only spot i could find where i'd be lower than the ground level that the golem is on. i shoot straight on and of course hit the ground, i again aim way above it and miss and i aim for the golem and hit it. yes, you can shoot arrows at someone or something uphill and downhill without tab-targeting.

i do agree that swoop is more practical targeted for close range since it's a ranged attack yet not a projectile, so your melee build ranger will jump past anything along the skill's path until he swings at the end. i simply posit that the game is not = WoW...that's all.

EDIT: the spinning golem at the end is invincible, so no damage will pop up. when you see the words "invulnerable" pop up that's when my shot is connecting.
 
Last edited:
HAv eArenanet talked about having any kidn of post character creation customization?

In many mmo's it's becoming the norm to be able to change things (your hair style, even facial features depending on the game) and I'm wondering if Guild Wars 2 will have that?

I love the Sylvari but it'd be nice to be able to change them up because they have sooooooooo many character creation options.

they haven't but i wouldn't doubt that something like that is in the works or at least planned.
 
i simply posit that the game is not = WoW...that's all.

Because there exists a system that is inferior to if you used the WoW system? :confused:

Realistically, it's always better to just target someone as if it's like WoW as opposed to treating it like an action game with no targeting.

There isn't a whole lot gameplay wise that would be uncomfortable in the hands of a WoW player. They most likely did this on purpose. Like I said, they really hyped this up a couple of years ago. I find it hard to believe that this is the culmination of their revolutionary system that people have "never seen before".
 
i've seen it done better in C9 in 2008. anyway, it's still not "just like WoW", that's all. btw, they've sorted out the WvW issue. man if this were an EA game it would have been like that for months after launch until it got removed.
 
Wow, I did not mean to cause a huge debate, lol. I don't play MMOs so I wasn't trying to imply it was WoW-like, but I guess I was hoping the combat was more dynamic? I don't know. I just wanted to try the game and see what it was like.
 
GW2 plays nothing like WOW.... yes, they're both MMO's, but that's about where it ends, just as "BattleField 3" plays very differently from "Call of Duty" despite both being FPS games ;). GW2's combat is much more like DAOC, while WOW's is based around a global cooldown.

Saying that having the ability to pick a target makes it the same as another MMO is just as wrong as saying that because you can attach a scope to your weapon in BF3, it's the same as COD. Completely different games, different gameplay, different strategies, different combat systems, different PVP systems, different RvR/WvW systems (WOW doesn't have one with Pandaria, and Tol Barad is timered, no?), etc. :)
 
I agree, GW2's systems are different than WoW. But the base gameplay (just like the base gameplay in BF3 and CoD) are very similar. They are much more similar to one another than GW2 will ever be to an "action RPG". A WoW player has all the basics to feel comfortable with GW2's tab target, queue up skill with button system because it its base, the two games share the basic "how to play this game". As I said before, the game offers interesting mechanics through the skills / strategy in PvP, but that's not a result of the base game play (i.e. WoW can achieve the same thing with just skill/spell/arena design without changing the base gameplay).

Ultimately, this is not an action RPG and telling people that and having them expect it to be an action RPG is completely wrong. I'm mostly disappointed in the way Anet tried to sell the "revolutionary" combat. Overhyped and oversold really.

If you guys have actually played an action RPG, you'll realize just how similar GW2 is to WoW and not to other action RPG's.
 
I've been playing GW2, and while I didn't like it at first, I ended up liking the PVP a lot. I'll probably be trying solely on the "no monthly fees" which can help keep my friends at least semi-interested, as they don't have to commit.
 
Man I am having a hard time deciding which class to play for live. I wanted to finalize my decision this BWE. I am leaning toward Rifle Warrior but after playing it most of the weekend it kinda feels "bland" or "vanilla". Same 10 keys or so and no fancy effects. Plus being limited to single target only might not be the best thing for WvW.

Tried a couple of different Ele builds and I just can't get a good vibe about them. Single target damage seems lower than my Warrior but it does have AoE. But AoE doesn't seem to help all that much in sPvP where everyone is moving around constantly. Plus of course they drop faster.

Has anyone found a class that was like OMG this is perfect for me and never looked back? I am having a heck of a time choosing. (I am one of those types that likes to hard core game a single character and get as good as possible with em and not have 10 different ones).
 
Man I am having a hard time deciding which class to play for live. I wanted to finalize my decision this BWE. I am leaning toward Rifle Warrior but after playing it most of the weekend it kinda feels "bland" or "vanilla". Same 10 keys or so and no fancy effects. Plus being limited to single target only might not be the best thing for WvW.

Tried a couple of different Ele builds and I just can't get a good vibe about them. Single target damage seems lower than my Warrior but it does have AoE. But AoE doesn't seem to help all that much in sPvP where everyone is moving around constantly. Plus of course they drop faster.

Has anyone found a class that was like OMG this is perfect for me and never looked back? I am having a heck of a time choosing. (I am one of those types that likes to hard core game a single character and get as good as possible with em and not have 10 different ones).
I'm sticking with Ranger for live.

I feel that for 8v8 and 5v5 PvP, you won't really stick to a class. It'll be like GW1 where you can just make a character on the fly and play.

The "class I play" will be for PvE and WvW (since WvW does rely on your PvE progression despite having people artificially leveled to 80).

Also, focusing on one weapon will make you extremely bored I feel. Your warrior isn't a "rifle warrior", he's just a warrior that can use a rifle.
 
I'm sticking with Ranger for live.

I feel that for 8v8 and 5v5 PvP, you won't really stick to a class. It'll be like GW1 where you can just make a character on the fly and play.

The "class I play" will be for PvE and WvW (since WvW does rely on your PvE progression despite having people artificially leveled to 80).

Also, focusing on one weapon will make you extremely bored I feel. Your warrior isn't a "rifle warrior", he's just a warrior that can use a rifle.


What do you find the best strengths of the Ranger? I was thinking about trying one out but seems like their damage might have been nurfed a bit. I call it a "riffle Warrior" as all of his stats and traits, well his whole build is made around the rifle. Not that he just happens to have a rifle equipped. When you put a build a certain way it won't perform nearly as well if you just change the weapon.
 
What do you find the best strengths of the Ranger? I was thinking about trying one out but seems like their damage might have been nurfed a bit. I call it a "riffle Warrior" as all of his stats and traits, well his whole build is made around the rifle. Not that he just happens to have a rifle equipped. When you put a build a certain way it won't perform nearly as well if you just change the weapon.

I tried DPS testing on the dummies. Ranger longbow basically did a ton more than the rifle warrior. Ranger traps are also a fun mechanic if you trait into the ability to toss them (rather than laying them at your feet). Good news is, you can test both out yourself and play with both in structured pvp. I think the pet is excellent for pvp. Ironically, it's not that great for PvE.

I meant if you roll a warrior, you're not forced to just use a rifle since you can respec etc. Roll a class for everything it has to offer, not just 1 weapon. For example, my friend likes warrior over ranger due to the greatsword switch from his rifle.
 
Has anyone had any success as an engineer in PVP? I have tried the class (my main being a necro) and I simply can't seem to be doing much on my own, or for the group it seems, or maybe I'm not approaching the class properly.
 
I tried DPS testing on the dummies. Ranger longbow basically did a ton more than the rifle warrior. Ranger traps are also a fun mechanic if you trait into the ability to toss them (rather than laying them at your feet). Good news is, you can test both out yourself and play with both in structured pvp. I think the pet is excellent for pvp. Ironically, it's not that great for PvE.

I meant if you roll a warrior, you're not forced to just use a rifle since you can respec etc. Roll a class for everything it has to offer, not just 1 weapon. For example, my friend likes warrior over ranger due to the greatsword switch from his rifle.

I remember in the previous BWE the pet's would die if you glared at them strongly enough. How are they holding up now? Do you prefer a "tankier" pet like a bear or a more DPS pet like a leopard or bird? I think those DPS pets are super fragile and die in one AoE. Unless they have changed it quite a bit.

Edit: I forgot to mention one thing when you mentioned Ranger dmg versus Warrior. Don't forget to take into effect that Ranger Longbow damage is best when far way and gets worse the closer you get. Rifle warrior damage is constant at any range.
 
Last edited:
I remember in the previous BWE the pet's would if you glared at them strongly enough. How are they holding up now? Do you prefer a "tankier" pet like a bear or a more DPS pet like a leopard or bird? I think those DPS pets are super fragile and die in one AoE. Unless they have changed it quite a bit.

I have two DPS pets (the cats). Having one of them die isn't that big of a deal since I can switch.

This is a bigger issue in PvE than PvP. If people are focusing my pet in PvP, then that's excellent. In PvE, fights (veterans / champions / bosses) can last much longer so if my pet dies and I switch... and the second pet dies as well, it's not worth my time to res it really. I just have to wait and go without a pet. Pets also die a lot more often in PvE. For normal mobs, it's less of an issue since I can swap res with essentially no cooldown out of combat.

The bulk of the longbow damage comes from opening with Hunter's shot and then using rapid fire. It is less consistent though since rapid fire can get interrupted in various ways. But I've seen 12,000+ damage from a single rapid fire sequence. If the enemy gets close, I will go into a trap strategy (works very well against melee).
 
I haven't played a ranger this BWE but the last time I did they really needed to work on pets, make them feel more worthwhile, the sheer ease that you lose them is way too much, you don't feel that attatched to pets or anything like in other games (IE Hunters in WoW with their pets).

It feels like most pets are just cheap bait you distract an enemy with until they die.'
 
I have two DPS pets (the cats). Having one of them die isn't that big of a deal since I can switch.

This is a bigger issue in PvE than PvP. If people are focusing my pet in PvP, then that's excellent. In PvE, fights (veterans / champions / bosses) can last much longer so if my pet dies and I switch... and the second pet dies as well, it's not worth my time to res it really. I just have to wait and go without a pet. Pets also die a lot more often in PvE. For normal mobs, it's less of an issue since I can swap res with essentially no cooldown out of combat.

The bulk of the longbow damage comes from opening with Hunter's shot and then using rapid fire. It is less consistent though since rapid fire can get interrupted in various ways. But I've seen 12,000+ damage from a single rapid fire sequence. If the enemy gets close, I will go into a trap strategy (works very well against melee).

What do you think about this Intel:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for.../No-seriously-Ranged-Damage/page/1#post297835

Ranger getting beat up pretty hard on the forums.
 
Id read that thread but My password is apparently wrong, already regretting spending 40 quid on this.
 
What do you think about this Intel:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for.../No-seriously-Ranged-Damage/page/1#post297835

Ranger getting beat up pretty hard on the forums.

I think he's really only played PvE. I believe that post is mostly centered around PvE.

Also, I absolutely disagree about AoE. This is why I run 3 traps on my utility bar. It's true though that they nerfed barrage. However, this has to be taken into perspective. I found in the previous BWE's that my best single target DPS rotation was rapid fire then barrage instead of the auto attack. Barrage did slightly less DPS than rapid fire. Just a FYI for where the nerf came from.
 
Man I am having a hard time deciding which class to play for live. I wanted to finalize my decision this BWE. I am leaning toward Rifle Warrior but after playing it most of the weekend it kinda feels "bland" or "vanilla". Same 10 keys or so and no fancy effects. Plus being limited to single target only might not be the best thing for WvW.

Tried a couple of different Ele builds and I just can't get a good vibe about them. Single target damage seems lower than my Warrior but it does have AoE. But AoE doesn't seem to help all that much in sPvP where everyone is moving around constantly. Plus of course they drop faster.

Has anyone found a class that was like OMG this is perfect for me and never looked back? I am having a heck of a time choosing. (I am one of those types that likes to hard core game a single character and get as good as possible with em and not have 10 different ones).
I'm in the same boat here. Really wanted to decide on a class by the end of this final BWE, but I seem stuck between Warrior, Ele and Mesmer.

The thing that scars me about Ele is trying to keep all those different skills straight (especially between different weapons, though I know they technically don't have weapon swap - doesn't mean you can't change them manually out of combat).
 
Ya with the Ele I kinda find they are too weak for the amount of DPS they put out. Plus the cool-downs between switching elements is kinda lame.
 
Well, I'm usually partial to caster classes, but I'm not a fan of pets so that kind of leaves out the necromancer. Mesmer seems interesting but I'm not sure what to make of it yet.

If I don't choose one of those two, though, I think it'll be warrior. Though to be honest I haven't had a chance to test out too many of the other classes.
 
Id read that thread but My password is apparently wrong, already regretting spending 40 quid on this.

You regret buying a game because you don't remember your password? Oh boy...Please get a refund. I don't want to play this game with you.
 
You regret buying a game because you don't remember your password? Oh boy...Please get a refund. I don't want to play this game with you.

No i reset it 3 times and had to contact to support which took 3 hours for them to fix my account for me.

My password was already saved in the game and wrote down. Nothing to do with me what so ever
 
That's scary (awesome). Does it run pretty well? I'm not really satisfied with my lone 7970 at a lowly 1080p (in this game, anyway).

It runs butter smooth! I am amazed at how well 7970 4-way Crossfire is running.
 
Because it dips into the 30 FPS range? For me, that's rough.

It really has nothing to do with GPU power. I get good FPS at 5760x1080 with a single 7970 and it's no different than a single monitor for the places that dip low (i.e. Lion's Arch)


New favorite ranger build: Stack condition damage (~1400 in PvP). Loadout with Axe MH, torch OH, and 3 traps. People have no idea what hit them. The torch throw does an insane amount of fire damage and the ground burn is a combo field for the axe skills.
 
It really has nothing to do with GPU power. I get good FPS at 5760x1080 with a single 7970 and it's no different than a single monitor for the places that dip low (i.e. Lion's Arch)
Whatever the cause is, it's pretty annoying. It's not just a few areas here and there that are detrimental to the experience, it's all over the place.
What CPU do you have shocked?
A 2500K at 4.7 GHz.

EDIT: The game is also running significantly worse than last BWE. Not sure if that's something to do with a change in the game or the fact that I'm using different (newer) drivers.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top