The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Last beta I tried norn gaurdian which is what I'll play release day but I will be trying a human mesmer this beta event.

God i hate it but the more beta events i play for GW2, the more i think GW1 was a much better game. :( I was so looking forward to this and somehow it seems they try to please the standard mmo crowd more than the gw1 crowd and i find the end result only meh :(

I'm redownloading the beta client since i uninstalled the old one. Anyone live knows if they improved the camera a bit? One of my biggest issue is that the camera feels too close to the character for me and theres no way to set it further away, did they change that for this beta?

I'm redownloading the beta client since i uninstalled the old one. Anyone live knows if they improved the camera a bit? One of my biggest issue is that the camera feels too close to the character for me and theres no way to set it further away, did they change that for this beta?

I was able to play for like 30 mins on lunch. I started a sylvari and they let you zoom out a lot more than before. I don't know if that is only sylvari or what but it was a lot better.

God i hate it but the more beta events i play for GW2, the more i think GW1 was a much better game. :( I was so looking forward to this and somehow it seems they try to please the standard mmo crowd more than the gw1 crowd and i find the end result only meh :(

The "standard" MMO crowd: 1000000000000x larger than the GW1 crowd.

Do you blame them for wanting to make a profitable game? At least they have brought a respectable amount of innovation and features that haven't been completely played out by other developers. Gotta give them some credit for that.

The "standard" MMO crowd: 1000000000000x larger than the GW1 crowd.

Do you blame them for wanting to make a profitable game? At least they have brought a respectable amount of innovation and features that haven't been completely played out by other developers. Gotta give them some credit for that.

This. Yes they made the game a real MMO and not a instanced multiplayer game, but they took a lot of the core concepts of MMO's and enhanced them. Will it be good? We don't know yet but it is refreshing to not just have a copy and paste MMO with tree people.

Can someone help me out a bit, I never got to play much of hte other beta weekend events soa few newb questions.

Is there a way to select your starting weapon? I don't like the swords that mucha nd would rather use axes/two handers, if not where/when can you get another one? The early merchants (that I could find) didn't sell weapons and I seem to never have any luck finding one in a loot drop.

Also about events, do events reward you with anything but experience? Seems a bit strange that they only give exp/coin and nothing else, It was nice in Warhammer (where this kind of thing started) to do really well in an event and get a nice weapon/piece of armor.

Also I have to say, the Sylvari race are awesome, so much more unique looking then most races in mmo's, I know what race I'm rolling now in retail.

Can someone help me out a bit, I never got to play much of hte other beta weekend events soa few newb questions.

Is there a way to select your starting weapon? I don't like the swords that mucha nd would rather use axes/two handers, if not where/when can you get another one? The early merchants (that I could find) didn't sell weapons and I seem to never have any luck finding one in a loot drop.

Also about events, do events reward you with anything but experience? Seems a bit strange that they only give exp/coin and nothing else, It was nice in Warhammer (where this kind of thing started) to do really well in an event and get a nice weapon/piece of armor.

Also I have to say, the Sylvari race are awesome, so much more unique looking then most races in mmo's, I know what race I'm rolling now in retail.

In your main city you can find weapon and armor merchants, also when you are running around you will find them in little towns or outposts along the way. Events reward you exp, coin, and karma. Karma can be used to buy things from NPCs with hearts over their head after you have finished that NPC's quests.

Edit: Also those Karma vendors usually sell 1 piece of armor or weapon and some buff items. I think the first heart I found in the Sylvari zone sold a 1 handed mace and an accessory.

One of my biggest issue is that the camera feels too close to the character for me and theres no way to set it further away, did they change that for this beta?

They did. Jon Peters mentioned it in the article that FLCLimax posted above.

from the article said:
We did a lot of research on performance, art, and design and decided to increase the maximum camera zoom distance. A lot of work went into the initial camera distance, but we recognized that some people were having trouble with disorientation with the old number so we bumped it up as much as we felt we could given some of the goals of the game.

So I discovered that the game doesn't like forced AA through CCC. I forgot that I had mine set to override all programs' settings. It caused my screen to be entirely black. I could see the UI and even npc nameplates, but everything else was black.

Is it just me or to Asura and Sylvari starting areas seem way more laid back than the first three? With those three it seemed like there was some epic world war going on, and your race had something to do with it, but I feel like the Asura just have their own agenda tinkering with robots. Later in the game to all the races have something to do with a large war? I know the story behind the first Guild Wars, but just don't understand what these new races have to do with it.

I'm still on the fence for this... it's not like I'm hard up for $60 but I don't want it to turn into a figurative shelf duster in 2 months like BF3 did

Naturally, since I work evenings, the servers would go down right when I get off.

This BWE is terrible compared to last. I am in a big guild, and we were able to make multiple groups last weekend and respond to threats and counter weaknesses in the different WvW zones. EB was full a lot. Now, this weekend, ALL the zones are full and everyone is split up. It's chaos. No one can get into the lakes to play, let alone coordinate offense or defense. If this is the new normal for release, fuck GW2.

Guild Wars 2 runs incredibly well 4-Way Crossfire 5x1 Eyefinity, especially for a Beta!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nHKqbNX4fs&feature=youtu.be

The black horizontal lines kill the experience. It would probably be more immersive to get one huge screen of similar size. I have seen some cool stuff with glass lately, like flexi-glass. Shouldn't be long before we have one single curved screen that size.

You mean vertical lines? BTW it's hard to appreciate in a Youtube video, but this setup has five times greater resolution and twice the refresh rate as a "big tv set". Not to mention it curves around you so you can sit closer to it and appreciate the resolution. A big 1080P TV set is child's play. ;)

You mean vertical lines? BTW it's hard to appreciate in a Youtube video, but this setup has five times greater resolution and twice the refresh rate as a "big tv set". Not to mention it curves around you so you can sit closer to it and appreciate the resolution. A big 1080P TV set is child's play. ;)

So the resolution is 5400 something? I thought it was stretched judging by the huge fps indicator font in the top right

I still love my single 30" S-IPS 2560x1600 monitor, but setups like Vega's are pretty drool-worthy anyway to be honest :D.

Interestingly enough, I decided to actually go look at the Guardian's skills on a whim, and found it to be awesome-looking... been playing it in SPVP most of the night and kicking ass with it. Really fun, did a Greatsword trait build focusing on burns and the summoned weapons (hammer/sword) and just have been going to town.... lots of life-leeching as well so my survivability is pretty high. I've got the ranged scepter/torch combo also but hardly using it in SPVP, I imagine it would be needed a lot in WvW of course however. I see a million great-looking build possibilities with this class.... :eek:.

This is my first GW2 beta event, and it's not running all that well on my GTX 680 at 2560x1440. I'm also getting a lot of rendering glitches, especially in Divinity's Reach. :(

Back