• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

I'm still on the fence for this... it's not like I'm hard up for $60 but I don't want it to turn into a figurative shelf duster in 2 months like BF3 did

im waiting too. all my friends have already bought it but im not biting. since the last rift experience was a complete waste of 60dollars for all of us lol
 
Shouldn't be long before we have one single curved screen that size.

There some extremely wide 'single' screen monitors. Super expensive.


This is my first GW2 beta event, and it's not running all that well on my GTX 680 at 2560x1440. I'm also getting a lot of rendering glitches, especially in Divinity's Reach.
There was supposedly an issue with nvidia cards. My brother's 680 struggled to get 10 fps... then he did something and fixed it. Might be this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/ww5dk/performance_issues_on_the_beta_nvidia_gpu_click/
 
The black horizontal lines kill the experience. It would probably be more immersive to get one huge screen of similar size. I have seen some cool stuff with glass lately, like flexi-glass. Shouldn't be long before we have one single curved screen that size.

matter of opinion really. i play one 3 1080p monitors and you dont notice the bezels at all when your playing. The point of eyefinity isnt to try and stare at all 3 screens. you still only focus on the main one and let your periphial vision handle the sides.
 
I really wanted to like this game, but I found myself bored after a couple hours. I tried multiple classes, but none of them held my interest for very long. I am wondering if I am missing something or if I am just over MMOs in general.
 
you're probably over mmos like i am. from my opinion wow was by far the best mmo experience for me and nothing really topped it. and wow became mudane/boring 2 years ago for me.
 
I really wanted to like this game, but I found myself bored after a couple hours. I tried multiple classes, but none of them held my interest for very long. I am wondering if I am missing something or if I am just over MMOs in general.


Same here. You're not missing something either. And it's not MMO's in general i think either (because i thought the same but have fun in TSW currently).

GW2 just isn't all that and completely disappointed me so far. I had much higher expectations coming from GW1 and this is such a letdown. Honestly, currently the game seems like some forgettable MMO with some random forgettable races and classes. Absolutely generic :(
 
You guy's aren't playing it right then. This is easily the best MMORPG in the last ten years well, since the EQ1/Shadowbane/Eve/DAoC golden era.
 
I've never purchased an MMO and technically have never played one but this has my interest. Man it is weird when your tastes change :confused:
 
I just can't get into it knowing that my progress will be wiped. I do like the mechanica though, so I guess I'll see if it keeps me interested for longer than Diablo 3 at launch :p
 
I just can't get into it knowing that my progress will be wiped. I do like the mechanica though, so I guess I'll see if it keeps me interested for longer than Diablo 3 at launch :p

Yea, I got my character to 35 in the first BWE and haven't done much PvE since then. I'm just exploring now and not really caring about progression. Exploring the nooks and crannies of the cities will stay with me and won't be wiped. I've also been doing a lot more PvP. Unfortunately, WvW is kind of bleh until you get to a decent PvE level. You can't level up your weapon in it. I was hoping I'd keep my 35 for this BWE for WvW, oh well.

I've found the Sylvari city to be underwhelming. Maguuma in general seems a little bland... not even much better than GW1. The other locations have been very nice so far, but Maguuma just feels less developed in comparison. The Asura city is actually pretty well designed.
 
rofl WoW. I quit that kid game 2 months after release. ;)

never played vanilla wow but tbc offered some of the best mmo experience by far. wow got bad when wotlk hit. ive tried tons of other big mmos like lotr, aoc, warhammer, rift, original gw nothing really compares.
 
I speak about WoW from a PvP perspective as I don't care for PvE. It stunk.
 
Just played the game for a bit...I never really played MMOs in the past but this type of game just doesn't appeal to me that much. I don't really care for the movement and then "click once on stuff and then watch my guy fight until one of us dies" type gameplay.

On the other hand, the game is beautiful and it seems like it would be fun to play with a group. Speaking of which, sometimes when I did random quests there were a bunch of random players running around fighting as well. Are these NPCs or actual players? It was kinda cool seeing a mob attack but at the same time you get hardly any loot.

I think I'll pass on this at $60. Maybe on sale later for $30-40, though.
 
Just played the game for a bit...I never really played MMOs in the past but this type of game just doesn't appeal to me that much. I don't really care for the movement and then "click once on stuff and then watch my guy fight until one of us dies" type gameplay.

On the other hand, the game is beautiful and it seems like it would be fun to play with a group. Speaking of which, sometimes when I did random quests there were a bunch of random players running around fighting as well. Are these NPCs or actual players? It was kinda cool seeing a mob attack but at the same time you get hardly any loot.

I think I'll pass on this at $60. Maybe on sale later for $30-40, though.


Those are other real players. The game uses "event" quests that basically means anyone int hat area gets the same event quest as you and can do it while you do it. Basically it gives a natural "group" feeling without actually having to /lfg like the older mmo's.
 
I haven't played the last beta or this one but I bought the game and played the first public pre-purchase beta. I had some complaints but they did address some of them from what I've read. I did like some flavors of WoW, playing it for a few years. I played others prior like DAoC and also numerous single player rpg's through the years even back to Ultima IV in C-64 days, (not to mention pencil and paper AD&D). More recently I played rift. There are big differences in this game. One of the biggest differences is that there is no monthly fee. That difference can't be understated. After that, even if it turns into more of a multi user battle arena type thing (and without as much gear treadmilling supposedly) it can still be fun . As long as they do that part right and keep some pve going on the side for soloing (+ incidental quest/event grouping). Thats the way I look at it. I've bought plenty of games that sit uninstalled or idle in my steam library after playing them awhile so either way I'm not going to cry about it. As for bashing this or other games, anyone can dislike a game genre or tire of a particular implementation of it (I'm sick of "sim-ish" bent peek-a-boo kill military fps's personally). That doesn't necessarily make them bad games - just a bad game for you.
.
I'm going to log on now for a few hours, and I'll have some time on sunday.
 
Last edited:
That's not at all how combat works in GW2. You were doing it wrong.

Okay, explain it to me? I know you can click on abilities occasionally but overall I would double-click on an enemy and my guy would run over and just start attacking. You can dodge as well apparently but it's not exactly like Skyrim or something where you move around and attack at will.
 
Okay, explain it to me? I know you can click on abilities occasionally but overall I would double-click on an enemy and my guy would run over and just start attacking. You can dodge as well apparently but it's not exactly like Skyrim or something where you move around and attack at will.

swear to god you are either playing the first guild wars or fucking with us.
 
You're not doing anything wrong. Guild Wars 2 has been described by Anet and frankly a lot of other people as an "action RPG" which isn't accurate. This is basically the same auto-attack, queue up skills system that WOW and other MMO's use. They added a dodge mechanic and that's about it. That said, the combat is relatively fluid and the skills themselves offer some interesting mechanics.
 
all i'm saying is GW2 doesn't have you auto run when you double click and start attacking. that's exactly how it works in the first guild wars...
 
You're not doing anything wrong. Guild Wars 2 has been described by Anet and frankly a lot of other people as an "action RPG" which isn't accurate. This is basically the same auto-attack, queue up skills system that WOW and other MMO's use. They added a dodge mechanic and that's about it. That said, the combat is relatively fluid and the skills themselves offer some interesting mechanics.

and removed combat RNG like hit rating/dodge rating/block rating and allow you to fight without tab targeting, and not having all spells home in like a heat seeking missile, and having a decent combat physics that allow you to take shots and hits for an ally just by walking in the attack's path.
 
http://youtu.be/fi65P_VhWY8 - will be up soon

overall I would double-click on an enemy and my guy would run over and just start attacking. You can dodge as well apparently but it's not exactly like Skyrim or something where you move around and attack at will.

first ten seconds or so i double click furiously to try and make my character run up and attack. show some combat while moving, hit detection based on swing arc(whatever your weapon looks to be hitting will be hit) and no use of tab targeting(i tab through them at the end after is top fighting to show that i had no target selected).

the game does allow for tab targeting though. yet and still it does not function just like WoW and certainly not like the first guild wars which is what the quoted sentence describes...
 
Before we get bogged down by something like double clicking to attack:

mAhE2.jpg
 
Yeah, what the fuck? There's no double clicking of enemies, and definitely no auto-run up to them. You run up to them by pressing 'W', (note you do not need to even select them), and just swing at their face.

LOL. I have no idea what is happening right now.

Edit: Okay, apparently you can double click to interact, whatever the hell that even means. I have no idea why anyone would do that though.
 
before we get bogged down by options making it less than what it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi65P_VhWY8

putting an option into it, doesn't mean that it is the same as a typical mmo. it clearly allows for a different style of combat and that's the type of combat that it was designed around first. for a typical tab system mmo with movement and dodging tacked on, see TSW(not bashing cuz i like the game otherwise). they even literally added rolling about three weeks before it shipped. mobs run faster than you(to keep combat "in range") and it really still is intended to work like a basic tab target game as far as combat is concerned at atleast. the roll was quite literally tacked on due to complaints, but you still get hit by when performing it and nothing in the PVE was designed around such a mobility option.

before anyone goes nuts, that's just an explanation.
 
Last edited:
Just tried it on my ranger with a shortbow/greatsword. You have to be in range, so if you're in range with a ranged weapon then you'll start your "1" attack. If you're melee, you won't run up or attack unless you're actually in range.

Just saying... don't just blindly accuse him of literally not playing the right game. He probably had a ranged weapon.

Either way, I really don't see why it's important if you can or can't do it. I'm not sure why that matters in the end.
 
I still haven't played ... Waiting for more reviews and final release... But from a few beta videos it looks very promising
 
Just tried it on my ranger with a shortbow/greatsword. You have to be in range, so if you're in range with a ranged weapon then you'll start your "1" attack. If you're melee, you won't run up or attack unless you're actually in range.

Just saying... don't just blindly accuse him of literally not playing the right game. He probably had a ranged weapon.

Either way, I really don't see why it's important if you can or can't do it. I'm not sure why that matters in the end.

didn't know it had the option...oh well. still, the statement that it is the same as WoW is false.
 
Yes you can use skills without a target, but try it with a ranged weapon. It's not practical at all. The game play does really boil down to something incredibly similar to WOW + a dodge. Not that it's completely terrible or the game's bad because of it. It's certainly not what they hyped the combat to be. And the fact that they kept selling it as revolutionary action combat is laughable at best.
 
Yes you can use skills without a target, but try it with a ranged weapon. It's not practical at all. The game play does really boil down to something incredibly similar to WOW + a dodge. Not that it's completely terrible or the game's bad because of it. It's certainly not what they hyped the combat to be. And the fact that they kept selling it as revolutionary action combat is laughable at best.

ok, brb.
 
http://youtu.be/iIjAvMDEu30 - should be up soon.

ok so i use an axe and a shortbow here. as long as you orient yourself with a enemy you can hit them targeted or not. several times i look to the side with right mouse to have my shot go off into nothing. i orient myself back on to the intended target and hit. i also find a golem running around and hit that.

this was actually made possible after the first beta weekend: http://i.imgur.com/mYBht.png

"Missiles now fire in the direction of the camera when the player has no target and is holding down the right mouse button".

of course it would be easier to keep your aim on something if they had a cross-hairs(which they should have put in if they were going to allow this) but it can be done.

yes, tab targeting exists but that alone does not make it = basic tab targeting system. several(necessary) supporting systems of that style are absent from GW2 and several systems in GW2 are absent from WoW. even in The Secret World their rolling move serves a purpose in PvP. if you have to boil down and try and strip away function to equate one game with another, the games are not equal in the comparison.

so yea, sorry to the guy who enabled that click to attack/interact option. otherwise, the statement of it's the same as WoW is still false.

edit: this isn't really even getting into combos, attack interception(you can just get in between an ally and an attack even if they are targeted).targeting with tab is an option but the game was not built around that. the whole flow and function of combat is different than WoW...that's all take it or leave it. consider whatever other game you want to be true action, i personally don't consider GW2 to be so if that's the underlying cause of resistance to not equating it with WoW we can lay that to rest.
 
Last edited:
Yes you can use skills without a target, but try it with a ranged weapon. It's not practical at all. The game play does really boil down to something incredibly similar to WOW + a dodge. Not that it's completely terrible or the game's bad because of it. It's certainly not what they hyped the combat to be. And the fact that they kept selling it as revolutionary action combat is laughable at best.

You can also hit multiple targets if swinging a greatsword for example. I also enjoy how I will automatically hit the closest monster to me and I do not have to manually switch targets to do so.

I feel GW2 combat is the best out there right now, despite its flaws. I think there should be a lot more visual cues for when monsters are going to do a special attack, however, and I still don't know if they've done anything with the whole "ranged has way more of an advantage" thing, but that might be another nitpick I have regarding combat. Unfortunately I don't feel myself making very many decisions when it comes to combat, but that may come later on in the game. For example, in WoW, I'd think "Okay, I have to shield myself first, then cast mindblast and then sw:p. Then I will mind flay two times, and wand 'til death" In GW2, it seems rather mindless. This is all from a PvE non-instance perspective though. I'm sure it's a lot different in PvP, just haven't had the chance to try it out in there yet.
 
Try playing it like wow in pvp and you will get freaking smashed.

To be fair, PvP is more about strategy than individual skill the way I see it (which was true of GW1 as well). At least, that's how I win most of my games and remain in the #1 or 2 spot in points. Still, not the revolutionary action game. ANet probably had something more amazing in mind a few years ago when they started hyping the combat, but they realized they had to dial it back.

I feel GW2 combat is the best out there right now, despite its flaws. I think there should be a lot more visual cues for when monsters are going to do a special attack, however, and I still don't know if they've done anything with the whole "ranged has way more of an advantage" thing, but that might be another nitpick I have regarding combat. Unfortunately I don't feel myself making very many decisions when it comes to combat, but that may come later on in the game. For example, in WoW, I'd think "Okay, I have to shield myself first, then cast mindblast and then sw. Then I will mind flay two times, and wand 'til death" In GW2, it seems rather mindless. This is all from a PvE non-instance perspective though. I'm sure it's a lot different in PvP, just haven't had the chance to try it out in there yet.
The advantage of melee is quite literally... melee weapons do a lot more dps. If I don't need to kite or anything, I actually like whipping out a melee weapon in PvE just to kill mobs faster. In PvP, it's nice to have one on switch if you have someone else in your face meleeing you. There are also some nice skills depending on which weapon (at least from a Ranger's weapon selection). For PvE, it really is somewhat mindless right now. Every fight can be... auto attack/skill rotate until they die or circle strafe kite. If you can't kite indefinitely... (like some veterans or champions), then you will likely just die with no real skill involved. Ascalon catacombs was even worse.

@FLCL, I'm making my own video showing you why you shouldn't just not target something. While you can "use a skill" while not having a target, it's painfully obvious why you really should use a target.
 
Last edited:
You can also hit multiple targets if swinging a greatsword for example. I also enjoy how I will automatically hit the closest monster to me and I do not have to manually switch targets to do so.

I feel GW2 combat is the best out there right now, despite its flaws. I think there should be a lot more visual cues for when monsters are going to do a special attack, however, and I still don't know if they've done anything with the whole "ranged has way more of an advantage" thing, but that might be another nitpick I have regarding combat. Unfortunately I don't feel myself making very many decisions when it comes to combat, but that may come later on in the game. For example, in WoW, I'd think "Okay, I have to shield myself first, then cast mindblast and then sw:p. Then I will mind flay two times, and wand 'til death" In GW2, it seems rather mindless. This is all from a PvE non-instance perspective though. I'm sure it's a lot different in PvP, just haven't had the chance to try it out in there yet.

way too much crying in the first few tests... they've even said they made all the beginning areas easier. i fought some ettins today and they don't have knockdowns anymore(in queensdale) nor did they hit hard enough to kill you in less than 7 hits. they did address the telegraphing on mobs, especially in the dungeon.
 
Back
Top