The Offical - Who is buying a Haswell-E 5960X, 5930K or 5820K Thread

Those are pretty much "SATA RAID on a card". Native PCI-E is still not bootable on any other platform than Z97/H97/X99.

Currently, yes, but its probably only a matter of time until bootable SATA Express adapters hit the market. I see nothing inherent in the technology that would prevent this.

Zarathustra[H];1041069479 said:
Currently, yes, but its probably only a matter of time until bootable SATA Express adapters hit the market. I see nothing inherent in the technology that would prevent this.

the ability to boot device over sata ports depends on the chipset, so no, older cards will never boot device on pci expr.

the ability to boot device over sata ports depends on the chipset, so no, older cards will never boot device on pci expr.

Actually did some more reading on this, and the answer is, it depends on the PCIe SSD implementation. All platforms can boot from PCIe, but the device has to have a pre-OS driver that presents the BIOS with a bootable device, like RAID controllers do.

Devices without this pre-OS driver will only boot on newer chipsets, but devices that include this pre-OS driver will likely boot on just about anything.

Early models may lack this, but I'd imagine that manufacturers will keep this in mind when launching their next gen devices, as they'd want to sell to as many as possible.

I see, thanks. Do you know the answers to a few of my other questions?

Can I daisy chain my 3 Displayport monitors to 1 Displayport socket, and if so, how? If not, how do I connect Displayport to Thunderbolt, do I just plug it in, or do I need an adapter? Once I have my 3 monitors connected to my Thunderbolt card, can I still use G-sync (the monitor is G-Sync ready, and I have Nvidia cards)? Forgoing G-Sync, can I still use Nvidia surround and SLI if I connect my monitors to the Thunderbolt card?

I know in the case of the ROG Swift monitor since it is exclusively Displayport, there is no current Nvidia card that has 3 Display port sockets, so you need 3 cards and each connected to a monitor to achieve Surround, but you can no longer use SLI. Assuming the new 980 has 3 Displayport sockets, I can connect all the monitors directly to one card, and then use 3-way SLI with Nvidia surround. Now, assuming the card doesn't come with 3 Displayport sockets, can I connect all 3 monitors to the Thunderbolt card, and still use Nvidia Surround + 3-way SLI?

Again, sorry for the questions but I want to make sure I understand everything before I spend any money.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=200-DP-1301-L1

You need an MST hub, but it looks like the max you can do is 5760x1080 (3x 1080p) and probably only to 60hz

DisplayPort has a lot of bandwidth, but not enough to drive 3x 1440p monitors - and especially not at 144hz

I don't think Nvidia has a card with dual DP ports and even if they did, I think you would want 3 cards to do surround with those monitors.

Just got mine:

Rampage 5 Extreme will be here Monday, but I don't think I'll have the ram until the 15th... :(

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1041069237 said:
I have been thinking all along that Haswell-E was goign to be my next upgrade.

After all, I've had my i7-3930k since launch in 2011.

I just can't justify spending the money though. Close to three years later it does everything I throw at it quickly and expediently, and I can't see anything that I do that would benefit from an upgrade.

For me it looks like a bragging rights only upgrade, and I'm not that into bragging.

In retrospect, even the i7-3930k was a mistake. Should have gone with a cheaper 4 core solution. As much of an enthusiast power user as I am, I haven't done anything I couldn't have done had I picked up a cheaper more mainstream part at the time.

I suspect that my 3930k will be with me for a long time (unless something dies) and maybe once LGA2011 Xeons drop in price on ebay, I'll just drop one of those in there to replace it.

The TITAN - on the other hand - was well worth the money, as my GTX680 just couldn't keep up with the frame rates I needed at 2560x1600.

Keep it, maybe swap your SSD with a current top of the line unit, maybe in RAID 0, maybe a SAS PCI-E controller if you want more that 2 SSDs, upgrade the ram to 32 or 64GB., next year PCI-E SSD should floor the market so the M-2, sata express can not look that impressive anymore.
I'll await at least until Skylake-E (new istructions, no iVR, refined 14nm) to upgrade, Haswell-E and Broadwell-E on X99 will not make that difference on performance Vs 3930K (except if you need 8 cores (but there's E5-1680 unlocked to temp you if you can find a good deal.. but look like this is not the case..)

Last edited:
Keep it, maybe swap your SSD with a current top of the line unit, maybe in RAID 0, maybe a SAS PCI-E controller if you want more that 2 SSDs, upgrade the ram to 32 or 64GB., next year PCI-E SSD should floor the market so the M-2, sata express can not look that impressive anymore.
I'll await at least until Skylake-E (new istructions, no iVR, refined 14nm) to upgrade, Haswell-E and Broadwell-E on X99 will not make that difference on performance Vs 3930K (except if you need 8 cores.. but look like this is not the case..)

Yeah.

I have 32gigs of RAM in it, and 32 gigs more kicking around I haven't gotten around to installing (because I never even come close to using the 32gigs I have)

One of these days I'll get around to bumping it up to 48GB though (remove 4x4GB, install 4x8GB)

Upgraded from a Core i7 2600k.

The actual size of the CPU and heat spreader was surprising! The chip actually had a little bit of heft to it due to it's size.
DSC_9197_zps898a5dc3.jpg

DSC_9229_zps3dd7649c.jpg

Just finished getting everything setup :)

YKcb.jpg

Full specs:

Corsair 650D case
5930k and Noctua NH-U12S
Asus X99 Deluxe
Radeon 290 Tri-X CF
GSKILL 32GB RAM
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (OS drive)
Samsung Evo 256GB and 512GB
Corsair AX1200 PSU

3xCorsair SP120 fans (rear and top)
Bitfenix 200mm for the front

Last edited:

The actual size of the CPU and heat spreader was surprising! The chip actually had a little bit of heft to it due to it's size.

Yea the Enthusiast CPU's are much larger than their mainstream.

Just got mine:

Rampage 5 Extreme will be here Monday, but I don't think I'll have the ram until the 15th... :(

Same problem here and it seems that there are tons of people with the same problem.
CPUs are here, mobos are here but there is no RAM at shops.

DSC_9197_zps898a5dc3.jpg

DSC_9229_zps3dd7649c.jpg

congratulations, your rig is awesome, a dream machine buy how could you spend that money on GTX780ti while GTX9xx series is coming?

Anyone know if its better than a i7 980x? Im thinking of upgrading, but.. Im not sure it aint overkill. :)

Same problem here and it seems that there are tons of people with the same problem.
CPUs are here, mobos are here but there is no RAM at shops.

congratulations, your rig is awesome, a dream machine buy how could you spend that money on GTX780ti while GTX9xx series is coming?

The 9 series are rumored to be either barely faster or of equal performance.

I would wait too but I have a feeling its a refined 110 core, like what AMD has been doing with GCN 1.1 since everyone is stuck on an older process.

DSC_9197_zps898a5dc3.jpg

DSC_9229_zps3dd7649c.jpg

With a 780Ti SLI + 140W CPU at stock a 1000W PSU would have more breathing room to run the rig, under heavy load, if you OC the CPU you'll run that PSU at around 90% (230Wx2 + 180-200W CPU +plus board, mem, SSD, HDD, Fans, H105...
$20-30 more for a 1KW PSU was IMHO a wiser choice.

The 9 series are rumored to be either barely faster or of equal performance.

I would wait too but I have a feeling its a refined 110 core, like what AMD has been doing with GCN 1.1 since everyone is stuck on an older process.

It's baby maxwell. The top end part is indicated to be only slightly faster than a GTX 780ti by nVidia. However, if the 750ti is any indication, the top end baby maxwell will actually be slightly slower than a 780ti. nVidia was saying the 750ti would beat a 660, and that's not the case, it's marginally slower.

I actually already had the 780Ti's from when they were launched last November. I added Hi Flow brackets and backplates.

The 850 Watt PSU was also a carry over as well. So far no problems but I don't know how to measure total usage.

It's baby maxwell. The top end part is indicated to be only slightly faster than a GTX 780ti by nVidia. However, if the 750ti is any indication, the top end baby maxwell will actually be slightly slower than a 780ti. nVidia was saying the 750ti would beat a 660, and that's not the case, it's marginally slower.

There is also this :D

I've put the 5960X into the case. It works!

NewRig02.jpg

Sadly, I can't really benchmark games until the I get the real video cards. But so far most normal things are blazing fast. It boots up into Windows in probably under 10 seconds (meaning from me pressing the power button to having mouse control of the desktop). Websites display almost instantly (not like on my old computer where images would popup one after another). I did try to run 3DMark, but with only a 750Ti I wasn't impressed. The new Nvidia cards cannot come soon enough.

NewRig02.jpg

Sadly, I can't really benchmark games until the I get the real video cards. But so far most normal things are blazing fast. It boots up into Windows in probably under 10 seconds (meaning from me pressing the power button to having mouse control of the desktop). Websites display almost instantly (not like on my old computer where images would popup one after another). I did try to run 3DMark, but with only a 750Ti I wasn't impressed. The new Nvidia cards cannot come soon enough.

How much RAM it Is?

Just finished getting everything setup :)

YKcb.jpg

Full specs:

Corsair 650D case
5930k and Noctua NH-U12S
Asus X99 Deluxe
Radeon 290 Tri-X CF
GSKILL 32GB RAM
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (OS drive)
Samsung Evo 256GB and 512GB
Corsair AX1200 PSU

3xCorsair SP120 fans (rear and top)
Bitfenix 200mm for the front

Your airflow is messed. Why you put the rear chassis fan in intake with a heatsink like that?
Is it a sort of push push? XD

Seeing some lovely rigs here,

I ordered my 5960X + Rampage V Friday , the motherboard is still on backorder in Belgium so that sucks.

Still not sure about the memory , It sooooo expensive compared to DDR3 , Not sure which kit to take , is the DDR4 frequency that important ?

My 3930K was binned at a multiplyer of x 52 Massman and Leeghoofd
I hope i get a good chip!

Last edited:
How much RAM it Is?

It's 32GB of 2800 speed DDR4 RAM. Originally I wanted to do 64GB, but the 8GB kits weren't widely available and I guess 32GB is already more than enough. I also really liked the look of the Corsair LPX RAM, and it matches the ASUS X99-Deluxe well.

Yeah was a mistake, I have fixed it since :p

also flip the PSU you do not want that airflow conflict with the lower Video card... the PSU will pull very hot air from the GPUs which its really bad..

NewRig02.jpg

man that's so ffrikken sexy

It's interesting to see that Asus removed the Xeon support completely.
There is no mention to Xeon on the x99 boards.
Some days ago there were a big list of Xeon supported but now they removed it all.

Zarathustra[H];1041069679 said:
Actually did some more reading on this, and the answer is, it depends on the PCIe SSD implementation. All platforms can boot from PCIe, but the device has to have a pre-OS driver that presents the BIOS with a bootable device, like RAID controllers do.

Devices without this pre-OS driver will only boot on newer chipsets, but devices that include this pre-OS driver will likely boot on just about anything.

Early models may lack this, but I'd imagine that manufacturers will keep this in mind when launching their next gen devices, as they'd want to sell to as many as possible.

There are also potential issues with the option ROMs not being able to load due to the option ROM configuration of the motherboards themselves. There are tons of issues using RAID controllers with SLI systems, (dual video card OROMs) and of course integrated RAID controllers cause further issues. In fact it's OROM limitations that prevent manufacturers from integrating more RAID controllers into the motherboards. ASUS and MSI use ASM106SE and ASM1061's which don't support RAID functionality because these don't have a large OROM to load. On GIGABYTE motherboards the integration of the Marvell 9172 for example is an "either or" option because the motherboard can't load both the Intel RAID OROM and the Marvell controller OROM at the same time.

It's interesting to see that Asus removed the Xeon support completely.
There is no mention to Xeon on the x99 boards.
Some days ago there were a big list of Xeon supported but now they removed it all.

There were 8 core ES Xeon's floating on ebay for 2011-3 few weeks back for less then $40. The seller only confirmed they worked on an Asus board, no mention of model.

There were 8 core ES Xeon's floating on ebay for 2011-3 few weeks back for less then $40. The seller only confirmed they worked on an Asus board, no mention of model.

They may work on other models, but ASUS won't support or warranty them on any X99 motherboard besides the "WS" model. That's the only one officially validated and QC'ed for Xeons.

They may work on other models, but ASUS won't support or warranty them on any X99 motherboard besides the "WS" model. That's the only one officially validated and QC'ed for Xeons.

never known it.
but could I use Xeon on Deluxe or it will not work for sure?

Asrock still has support for all xeons on cheap mobos like Extreme 4 so there's probably nothing technical to stop asus apart from trying to push people into expensive WS mobo.

Back