The Offical - Who is buying a Haswell-E 5960X, 5930K or 5820K Thread

I feel this way right now. Good thing i didn't open the box, i was still wrecking my brain what mobo to get, but the more i think about it, the more i realize that cost difference between Z97 and x99 could almost net me one extra GPU for SLI. Hell, i started thinking about flashing my BIOS to support SLI, and not upgrade at all, but i'm pretty sure my CPU would be a bottleneck for the upcoming Maxwell cards though. But, damn it's nice to have latest technology :D

This is the situation I'm in with my current Z77 setup. Still meets my needs and most of my wants. Yes, I can benefit from more PCIe lanes and cores, but I don't have a pressing need for it that justifies the cost. I could do a 5820k setup with 32GB to match my current z77 system, or I could make 4-5 extra car payments.

Any truth to the rumour that they will be coming out with a 12 core next year?

Next year? Nope, no way. Broadwell-E probably isn't going to be out until Q3 2016 based on my estimate of where it is in its lifecycle. Haswell-EX and -EP will obviously have 12+ cores in the SKU stack.

I doubt Broadwell-E is going to be more than 8 cores. 14 nm => power savings which datacenters love. If you're cannibalizing 12 cores or 10 cores for Broadwell-E then you're not selling them at a premium as Xeons. Business decision though, not an engineering one.

I can't bring myself to do it.

I would probably make myself happier buying $1300 in storage than if I got 5960X and a high end X99 board.

i so want to pull the trigger.'

only thing holding me back is i have to buy ddr4

IMO Intel pushing DDR4 on X99 is a mistake. AnandTech has shown that 5960X is only about 10-20% better in benchmarks against the hex core 4960X. Even when OC'd to 4.3GHz the difference is only about 30% in most cases, not to mention the amount of heat you have to manage and Haswell's infamous inconsistency. Then tack on DDR4 that costs more and performs less, and X99 just isn't worth it right now.

IMO Intel pushing DDR4 on X99 is a mistake. AnandTech has shown that 5960X is only about 10-20% better in benchmarks against the hex core 4960X. Even when OC'd to 4.3GHz the difference is only about 30% in most cases, not to mention the amount of heat you have to manage and Haswell's infamous inconsistency. Then tack on DDR4 that costs more and performs less, and X99 just isn't worth it right now.

It's a stripped down server part where they (datacenters) do want DDR4.

What you mean to say it the price sucks for the consumer segment. DDR4 does not suck to the enthusiast because the enthusiast has a hobby and an upgrade itch to scratch when something new and shiny comes out. The extra bandwidth will be nice. I'm not sure what I'll use it for, I was more interested in the two extra CPU cores, but at least I've got it.

What you mean to say it the price sucks for the consumer segment. DDR4 does not suck to the enthusiast because the enthusiast has a hobby and an upgrade itch to scratch when something new and shiny comes out. The extra bandwidth will be nice. I'm not sure what I'll use it for, I was more interested in the two extra CPU cores, but at least I've got it.

It will go good with some tri/quad video cards and 4K monitor!

Well, I'm on board. My X58 rig is toast, and the time was right. Grabbed one of the Gigabyte packaged deals from Newegg.

Hey I have a quick question. X99 is Thunderbolt 2 ready, correct? If so, could I get a thunderbolt card like this:

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ThunderboltEX_IIDUAL/

and then connect 3 of the new Asus ROG Swift monitors to the card instead of a graphics card, since it only has 2 display port slots can I daisy chain my 3 monitors to 1 slot? If not, is it possible to connect Display port 1.2 to Thunderbolt directly or will I need an adapter? If so, will there be any performance/quality difference? Using this method, if I have Nvidia GFX cards will I still be able to use G-Sync? Also, will I still be able to use Nvidia Surround with this method?

Thanks, sorry for all of the questions I don't really understand Thunderbolt.

Yes, the X99 chipset supports Thunderbolt 2 with the additional Intel ASIC.

I see, thanks. Do you know the answers to a few of my other questions?

Can I daisy chain my 3 Displayport monitors to 1 Displayport socket, and if so, how? If not, how do I connect Displayport to Thunderbolt, do I just plug it in, or do I need an adapter? Once I have my 3 monitors connected to my Thunderbolt card, can I still use G-sync (the monitor is G-Sync ready, and I have Nvidia cards)? Forgoing G-Sync, can I still use Nvidia surround and SLI if I connect my monitors to the Thunderbolt card?

I know in the case of the ROG Swift monitor since it is exclusively Displayport, there is no current Nvidia card that has 3 Display port sockets, so you need 3 cards and each connected to a monitor to achieve Surround, but you can no longer use SLI. Assuming the new 980 has 3 Displayport sockets, I can connect all the monitors directly to one card, and then use 3-way SLI with Nvidia surround. Now, assuming the card doesn't come with 3 Displayport sockets, can I connect all 3 monitors to the Thunderbolt card, and still use Nvidia Surround + 3-way SLI?

Again, sorry for the questions but I want to make sure I understand everything before I spend any money.

Ordered an 5960X with a UD4 board and some G.Skill DDR4. Hopefully would come within a week. Sad part is I'll be busy will mid September and won't be able to put together everything and leak test my loop :(

Current rig will be downgraded to a secondary machine running stock clocks.

I guess, but paying more for less just doesn't seem logical to me, no matter how hardcore of an enthusiast you are. I'm not denying DDR4 has great potential ahead of it, but at least from now till the end of 2014, I can't see DDR4 being a worthwhile upgrade.

My assessment is that X99 is only worth it if you're upgrading from a very old platform and you would buy new memory anyway. Or if you can afford the 5960X. I certainly can't.

I'm upgrading from an intel i3 dual core overlocked to 1.73Ghz to a 5820K... can't wait!

I guess, but paying more for less just doesn't seem logical to me, no matter how hardcore of an enthusiast you are. I'm not denying DDR4 has great potential ahead of it, but at least from now till the end of 2014, I can't see DDR4 being a worthwhile upgrade.

It's not worthwhile to you, because you can't afford it. I get it. Thread crap more, day 1 chump.

I can afford to upgrade my PC but maybe ive finally gotten wise enough to not do it, Im spending my money to upgrade my 3 780GTXs and Waiting to get my new ASUS 27in Gsync moniter instead. Maybe next fall Intel will convince me to upgrade.

I see, thanks. Do you know the answers to a few of my other questions?

Can I daisy chain my 3 Displayport monitors to 1 Displayport socket, and if so, how? If not, how do I connect Displayport to Thunderbolt, do I just plug it in, or do I need an adapter? Once I have my 3 monitors connected to my Thunderbolt card, can I still use G-sync (the monitor is G-Sync ready, and I have Nvidia cards)? Forgoing G-Sync, can I still use Nvidia surround and SLI if I connect my monitors to the Thunderbolt card?

I know in the case of the ROG Swift monitor since it is exclusively Displayport, there is no current Nvidia card that has 3 Display port sockets, so you need 3 cards and each connected to a monitor to achieve Surround, but you can no longer use SLI. Assuming the new 980 has 3 Displayport sockets, I can connect all the monitors directly to one card, and then use 3-way SLI with Nvidia surround. Now, assuming the card doesn't come with 3 Displayport sockets, can I connect all 3 monitors to the Thunderbolt card, and still use Nvidia Surround + 3-way SLI?

Again, sorry for the questions but I want to make sure I understand everything before I spend any money.

You can daisy chain displayport devices either by using a mini-DP hub or by using a pass through port on the device itself. Thunderbolt devices should have these, but monitors don't always because they use mini-DP ports which are compatible, but not the same as Thunderbolt.

It's not worthwhile to you, because you can't afford it. I get it. Thread crap more, day 1 chump.

It's not worthwhile to me because I see no value in it. I assure you I can afford multiple Titan-Z's, but that doesn't mean I should run out and grab a bunch. There's wise and stupid ways to spend your money. Hey but whatever makes you happy, if it's worthwhile to you who cares what anyone else thinks. And what's with the ad hom?

It's not worthwhile to me because I see no value in it. I assure you I can afford multiple Titan-Z's, but that doesn't mean I should run out and grab a bunch. There's wise and stupid ways to spend your money. Hey but whatever makes you happy, if it's worthwhile to you who cares what anyone else thinks. And what's with the ad hom?

Well this thread is for posters who plan on or have already purchased haswell-e procs. Not the I'm not interested in its value thread.

My 5960X has arrived!!!

NewRig01.jpg

Now just need to wait for the Vengeance RAM and a few other odds and ends to come in.

H55 AIO?! Do you not plan on overclocking that octo-core? And that 1500W PSU is waaaay overkill for 750 Ti. I'm just going to assume I'm missing something...

No, I don't want to overclock. I'm much more interested in stability and I think the H55 will suffice at stock speeds.

Ha, that 750Ti is a temporary card while I wait. I want to get 3 of whatever the new Nvidia card is. However I didn't want to buy 3 780Tis just to end up selling them on eBay and dealing with all that BS. So I just got the 750ti so I could at least put the system together for now. The reason for the 1500W PSU is the 3 high-end cards and room to grow in the future.

H55 AIO?! Do you not plan on overclocking that octo-core? And that 1500W PSU is waaaay overkill for 750 Ti. I'm just going to assume I'm missing something...

Theres nothing wrong with it, but I do like the tubing on the H60 variants much better.

No, I don't want to overclock. I'm much more interested in stability and I think the H55 will suffice at stock speeds.

Ha, that 750Ti is a temporary card while I wait. I want to get 3 of whatever the new Nvidia card is. However I didn't want to buy 3 780Tis just to end up selling them on eBay and dealing with all that BS. So I just got the 750ti so I could at least put the system together for now. The reason for the 1500W PSU is the 3 high-end cards and room to grow in the future.

Good choice. GTX 980 is rumored to be 10-15% better performing than 780Ti with a supposedly <$500 price tag (probably means $499 lol knowing nVidia)

I know what you mean about the placeholder card, I'm actually contemplating doing the same thing as I piece together my next build.

You can overclock and have stability too. We have the technology!

This crime should be under investigation and the item confiscated... like immediately !!

I have been thinking all along that Haswell-E was goign to be my next upgrade.

After all, I've had my i7-3930k since launch in 2011.

I just can't justify spending the money though. Close to three years later it does everything I throw at it quickly and expediently, and I can't see anything that I do that would benefit from an upgrade.

For me it looks like a bragging rights only upgrade, and I'm not that into bragging.

In retrospect, even the i7-3930k was a mistake. Should have gone with a cheaper 4 core solution. As much of an enthusiast power user as I am, I haven't done anything I couldn't have done had I picked up a cheaper more mainstream part at the time.

I suspect that my 3930k will be with me for a long time (unless something dies) and maybe once LGA2011 Xeons drop in price on ebay, I'll just drop one of those in there to replace it.

The TITAN - on the other hand - was well worth the money, as my GTX680 just couldn't keep up with the frame rates I needed at 2560x1600.

Zarathustra[H];1041069237 said:
I have been thinking all along that Haswell-E was goign to be my next upgrade.

After all, I've had my i7-3930k since launch in 2011.

I just can't justify spending the money though. Close to three years later it does everything I throw at it quickly and expediently, and I can't see anything that I do that would benefit from an upgrade.

For me it looks like a bragging rights only upgrade, and I'm not that into bragging.

In retrospect, even the i7-3930k was a mistake. Should have gone with a cheaper 4 core solution. As much of an enthusiast power user as I am, I haven't done anything I couldn't have done had I picked up a cheaper more mainstream part at the time.

I suspect that my 3930k will be with me for a long time (unless something dies) and maybe once LGA2011 Xeons drop in price on ebay, I'll just drop one of those in there to replace it.

The TITAN - on the other hand - was well worth the money, as my GTX680 just couldn't keep up with the frame rates I needed at 2560x1600.

from 3930K the only real upgrade would be the 5960X for its 2 more cores.
anyway, you platform does not support "the new SSD", you haven't M.2 and neither Sata Express so no way to use a more modern SSD.
The PCI Express extension is not a viable solution on your platform since you can't boot the drives from there.

from 3930K the only real upgrade would be the 5960X for its 2 more cores.
anyway, you platform does not support "the new SSD", you haven't M.2 and neither Sata Express so no way to use a more modern SSD.
The PCI Express extension is not a viable solution on your platform since you can't boot the drives from there.

Time will tell if M.2. will wind up being useful for me or not.

I have a difficult time believing that there will not be a PCIe solution that allows booting. PCIe controllers have been bootable for a long time and it would seem trivial to implement that in a PCIe to SATA Express adapter.

Zarathustra[H];1041069401 said:
Time will tell if M.2. will wind up being useful for me or not.

I have a difficult time believing that there will not be a PCIe solution that allows booting. PCIe controllers have been bootable for a long time and it would seem trivial to implement that in a PCIe to SATA Express adapter.

it will not boot, this is why there is new hardware.

Zarathustra[H];1041069401 said:
PCIe controllers have been bootable for a long time and it would seem trivial to implement that in a PCIe to SATA Express adapter.

Those are pretty much "SATA RAID on a card". Native PCI-E is still not bootable on any other platform than Z97/H97/X99.

Back