The Offical - Who is buying a Haswell-E 5960X, 5930K or 5820K Thread

2 x 5960Xs
1x EVGA X99 Classified
32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill DDR4 2400MHz

Ordered. I'll sell whichever 5960X doesn't overclock the best.

I like that the Classified has 2 8 pin power connectors for the CPU. I'm probably going to need it. Supporting hardware like the AX1500i are already in my case.

2 x 5960Xs
1x EVGA X99 Classified
32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill DDR4 2400MHz

Ordered. I'll sell whichever 5960X doesn't overclock the best.

I like that the Classified has 2 8 pin power connectors for the CPU. I'm probably going to need it. Supporting hardware like the AX1500i are already in my case.

Is the X99 Classified a dual socket board?

Non-Xeon's lack the QPI to enable multi socket configurations. I buy 2, try one. If it doesn't work at 4.8 Ghz I'll put it up on ebay for $850 and use the other one.

I hope you have a good custom loop to handle the heat...

I hope you have a good custom loop to handle the heat...

I do. 25 gallons of chilled water (60-65F) with fully independent loops for the CPU and GPUs. The rads are submerged so I don't need fans (my entire desktop is fanless except the power supply) and I don't have to really worry about heat soak or ambient temperature. It's a similar setup to what you'd see in a datacenter, just scaled down (it still takes up quite a bit of floor space overall :) )

I'm shooting for 5Ghz because it's a round number. I'm skeptical it's going to happen because it didn't on the 4770Ks I've tried.

Last edited:
Yeah if you're shooting for 5GHz on 5960X you're gonna need more than just 2 chips. Or maybe you'll get extremely lucky and land a golden chip. But I wouldn't count on Haswell.

Haswell-E Overclocking tips from Raja@ASUS.
The board in this case, obviously, is the Rampage 5 Extreme.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz2VRRbLPrZnYmJVVHM2UGxVS00/edit

Hmmm it sounds like they're finding heat to be the limit to the overclock rather than the silicon itself:

"The end result is the possibility of overclocking the K series CPUs 100~200MHz higher than the 8 core 5960X."

I'm concerned that the X99 Classified only has passive VRM cooling...hopefully that's not a limiting factor. I assume with it being a flagship board that EK and others will make a waterblock for it.

EDIT: And I notice the RVE only have 12 total pins for CPU power (8+4) vs. the Classified's 8+8 and 2 fewer Vcc_in phases. So that might be limiting their top end a bit too.

A typical EPS12v 8pin supplies up to 28A. With the comment that you really won't draw more than 30A, an 8+4 should be more than sufficient. The idea that ASUS would leave such a flaw on the Rampage 5 Extreme, if it really were a flaw, is kinda insane.

Not to mention ocaholic's findings that show the R5E beats the pants off all the other boards easily - especially in DRAM overclocking.

Both boards (rve and classy) use ir3550 vrms as far as I know. Ultimately the bios is what's most important, see gigabyte on x79. Nice hardware, mediocre bioses.

A typical EPS12v 8pin supplies up to 28A. With the comment that you really won't draw more than 30A, an 8+4 should be more than sufficient. The idea that ASUS would leave such a flaw on the Rampage 5 Extreme, if it really were a flaw, is kinda insane.

I wouldn't call it a flaw, but for a board meant to handle 8 cores and be the flagship board, an 8+4 power configuration is pretty lazy. Guys like me that will throw 1.5V chasing 5Ghz do exist, and it's almost certain that much voltage will draw well over the 450-500W limit of 8+4.

I wouldn't call it a flaw, but for a board meant to handle 8 cores and be the flagship board, an 8+4 power configuration is pretty lazy. Guys like me that will throw 1.5V chasing 5Ghz do exist, and it's almost certain that much voltage will draw well over the 450-500W limit of 8+4.

Seriously doubt that. Rve holds a ton of records atm, with their "lazy" 8+4 configuration. You won't ever draw that much power.

Seriously doubt that. Rve holds a ton of records atm, with their "lazy" 8+4 configuration. You won't ever draw that much power.

We'll see. I've been at over 300W with 4 cores (which I've also been told is impossible), so I plan on my theoretical max being 600W which requires an 8+8 configuration. LN2 overclocking "records" are meaningless. When the whole board is frosty you don't have to worry about melting a power trace, for example.

And those ln2 overclocks suck up much more power than you ever will, which is my point.

And those ln2 overclocks suck up much more power than you ever will, which is my point.

Power consumption decreases with temperature, so running 5Ghz @ 80C is going to be exponentially more power draw than 5Ghz @ -100C:

powertemp.png

Hence, LN2 overclocks are meaningless.

Meh, you seem hellbent. As someone with experience on this, you will be fine even with a regular 8 pin connector. Happy oc'ing!

First time on hardforum here. Been stopping by and reading here for years never posted until now. Just stopping by to say I've replaced my asus z87-a, i5 [email protected], and 16gb of ddr3 at 1600mhz. Picked up an i7 5820k from microcenter today. Also have a msi x99s sli plus and 16gb gskill ripjaws 4@2666mhz on the way from newegg. Going to be able to set it all up on this wednesday. Was going to go for trifire r9 280x but I'm a little strapped on cash after all this. This will be the first extreme chip I've owned as I got into building pcs only 3 years ago. The rest of my system specs are as follows:
2x 280x@1100mhz
Cooler master h100i
Cooler master haf xm
Evga supernova 1300w g2
Asus xonar essence stx
Windows 8.1 64bit
Samsung 840 evo 120gb
1tb seagate barricuda

You're concerned with the wrong numbers. Your core voltage of 1.5v doesn't reflect a limit of any kind at the EPS12v header itself. You're drawing amps off the 12v rail and then transforming to 1.5v.
P=iV and nothing changes that. Ever. This is the basic law of power. We know voltage and power as you've given your target at 500, which means the maximum current draw will be 500/12 = 41A - which is still below the 42A max rating of 8+4. Converting that 500W at 12v to 500W at 1.5v means you can supply your chip with 333A. (500=i*1.5)

You can see the datasheet I linked earlier that the absolute maximum intel states before you start seeing immediate junction damage is 175A(page 54) and you can only do so for 4 milliseconds. Even if we assume a loss of 20%(which is basically the worst transformer you'll find) that's still >250A.

Finally, if you STILL think you're right, you seem to have forgotten about the fact that your motherboard pulls 12v power out of the ATX24pin also. The 20pin portion of the ATX connector allows you to draw 6A. Then the 4 pin 12v (ATX 20+4) that all these motherboards have provides an additional pin that can supply 8A. For a total of 12A additional to what the EPS12 supplies anyway. So we're up to 54A peak supply potential, which at 12v is 648W.

Asus has good reason to not use two 8pins - it's totally unnecessary in any situation. Not to mention their real world overclocking showed that even heavily overclocked 5960x's didn't draw more than 30A off the 12v rail.

And before you say stuff about pcie cards needing power, that's why asus provides a 4pin molex for powering the pcie slots.

Last edited:

8 phases on one mobo can be better than 12 phases on different mobo due to quality of components used.

There are also potential issues with the option ROMs not being able to load due to the option ROM configuration of the motherboards themselves. There are tons of issues using RAID controllers with SLI systems, (dual video card OROMs) and of course integrated RAID controllers cause further issues. In fact it's OROM limitations that prevent manufacturers from integrating more RAID controllers into the motherboards. ASUS and MSI use ASM106SE and ASM1061's which don't support RAID functionality because these don't have a large OROM to load. On GIGABYTE motherboards the integration of the Marvell 9172 for example is an "either or" option because the motherboard can't load both the Intel RAID OROM and the Marvell controller OROM at the same time.

Interesting.

That is a moot point through, right? As you only need to boot from one of them? Or am I misunderstanding how this works?

Zarathustra[H];1041099772 said:
Interesting.

That is a moot point through, right? As you only need to boot from one of them? Or am I misunderstanding how this works?

For RAID you have to load both OROMs at the same time. You can use a total software implementation independent of BIOS, but to have the BIOS manage the configuration (such as with IRST on the chipset) you'd have to load both OROMs.

8 phases on one mobo can be better than 12 phases on different mobo due to quality of components used.

Absolutely. I've seen 16+ phase setups that won't overclock for shit and 6 phase power designs that will surprise the shit out of you.

Oh nice, someone else has a classy :)

Mine is running a 5930k at 4.4 ghz atm until I get some better ram

Absolutely. I've seen 16+ phase setups that won't overclock for shit and 6 phase power designs that will surprise the shit out of you.

I'm dealing with that right now. MSI Z87 Mpower Max. 20 CPU phases and the thing can't hold any overclock at all. Think it's something to do with shitty trace routing for the ram because it's a 6 layer board. So I'm forever done with MSI mobos. I liked my ASRock Z77 OC Formula but their RMA process too way too long. Was something like 4 weeks before I got a replacement. Companies like EVGA and Corsair win my business because they have cross-ship RMA options. /tangent.

I haven't had that problem with MSI boards. They do require some more tweaking than their competitors do though as I've noted in the reviews of the XPower and MPower series.

Truth. It's about the quality of the vrms and bios that matter in these situations. Asus usually has this in spades.

Truth. It's about the quality of the vrms and bios that matter in these situations. Asus usually has this in spades.

Perfect example of this was the x58 Classified vs the Rampage 3 Extreme. The Classified appeared to be the better solution on paper, but the R3E's implementation was so good that it ended up beating the pants off the Classified in every single way.

I remember seeing a comparison on how the two handled power differently, I think the gigabyte OC board was tossed in there too, and it showed that while both GB and EVGA could supply more power, it was never necessary and because the ASUS had been designed to run near max capacity, it operated significantly better that way.

Edit: looks like history is repeating itself... R5E topping all the charts and EVGA being dead last in nearly all of them.
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1425&page=18

Last edited:
probably should move to another thread, but with this baseline run, let the games begin #5ghzorbust:

Asrock did nicely too.
At the moment I'm thinking about Extreme 4 or OC Formula for my next build.

Also I like that they are using only ports from Intel chipset with no additional controlers added - no pointless shit increasing boot times.

This is because ASUS knows that adding additional raid capable controllers is retarded. Due to OROM limitations at this point you would have to choose between the two controller's in RAID. You can't run both in RAID mode at once (and the Intel is almost always the preferred choice.) and the Intel controller now has so many SATA ports that more controllers is really not necessary.

How much real world gaming performance would I loose going with one of these over a 4970K?

Honestly I probably don't really need an E series Haswell, but since when computer hardware addiction ever had anything to do with needs?

This is because ASUS knows that adding additional raid capable controllers is retarded. Due to OROM limitations at this point you would have to choose between the two controller's in RAID. You can't run both in RAID mode at once (and the Intel is almost always the preferred choice.) and the Intel controller now has so many SATA ports that more controllers is really not necessary.

Speaking of RAID, when I fired up the X99 board it handled both my raid arrays originally created on Z77 (migrated to Z87) perfectly. Intel - it just works.

I never used the Marvell SATA controller for anything more than my disc drives. Every benchmark showed crappy performance anyways of them in raid.

Windows on the other hand couldn't handle jumping from Z87 to X99. Lost mouse and keyboard (USB) control so even though I could get to the login screen I couldn't do anything about it. Had to fresh install.

Speaking of RAID, when I fired up the X99 board it handled both my raid arrays originally created on Z77 (migrated to Z87) perfectly. Intel - it just works.

I never used the Marvell SATA controller for anything more than my disc drives. Every benchmark showed crappy performance anyways of them in raid.

Windows on the other hand couldn't handle jumping from Z87 to X99. Lost mouse and keyboard (USB) control so even though I could get to the login screen I couldn't do anything about it. Had to fresh install.

very bad news for me, I hoped to save my previous installation.
I'm going to switch from a P67 to X99 and I hoped that Windows 8.1 is smart enough to handle this change.

very bad news for me, I hoped to save my previous installation.
I'm going to switch from a P67 to X99 and I hoped that Windows 8.1 is smart enough to handle this change.

YMMV. 8.1 might be smarter than 7. Or your existing hardware combination might be able to move to X99 no problem. I believe there's also software that will strip all the drivers out from Windows for this sort of purpose. IT departments use it so they can create one image and deploy it to many different types of hardware.

YMMV. 8.1 might be smarter than 7. Or your existing hardware combination might be able to move to X99 no problem. I believe there's also software that will strip all the drivers out from Windows for this sort of purpose. IT departments use it so they can create one image and deploy it to many different types of hardware.

I hope to build all the rig on saturday at the latest, can't wait to post my results :D

Back