Anyone Getting Their DOOM On?

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, May 13, 2016.

1. crispyb

crispyb Magical Crispyness

The game is fucking great. I havn't had this much in SP FPS games in while. Definitely worth picking up. I actually got grossed out a little and taking a break now.

Ninja edit: Using 4690k w/ EVGA GTX970 and running smooth as butter on High@1080

Armenius, Flexion and Pulsar like this.
  2. Azrak

Azrak Limp Gawd

Even with Nvidia driver 365.19 disabling SLI on my GTX 690, it still plays amazingly well on single GPU at 2560x1600 and automatic settings. Looks good too.
    Which setting is recommended to enable SLI? AFR1 or AFR2?

3. Unoid

Unoid Gawd

SP is fun as heck. Well polished. Runs very smooth 90FPS constant at 1440po 90hz. I'm actually surprised for once by a AAA game.

Armenius likes this.
  4. Squall_Rinoa89

Squall_Rinoa89 Limp Gawd

So far, I haven't had the time but my Alienware 17 R3 with the 970M Runs most of the game on Ultra @ 1920x1080 flawless in the 50-60FPS range. Haven't had to much time to play with it yet.

Desktop runs at 100+ with 2 970's @ 2560x1440P using Alternate Frame rendering 2.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  5. pothb

pothb [H]ardness Supreme

Do you have trouble with multiplayer? Someone else earlier said they did when they used the key they got from there.

6. N1GHTRA1N

N1GHTRA1N Gawd

DOOM!!!! You have got to get this game if you like awesome, high action, fps games. The music and graphics are top notch (some of the best ever) and the 3 hours I've played so far have been incredible. Here are a couple screen shots from early in the game. So far it is everything I hoped it would be and it is running super smooth, which is nice since the last couple of id games have had a bumpy start for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Armenius, AlexisRO and Pulsar like this.
  7. DF-1

DF-1 [H]ard|Gawd

checked just for you.

played a match to completion, teams were really uneven though lol. seems to work fine

8. pothb

pothb [H]ardness Supreme

I was just wondering, I don't plan on playing online when I get it, and I'm in no hurry to get it. Really, it's more of me wanting to see if cdkeys can get really messed up or not.

That said, thanks for testing it.

9. jyi786

jyi786 [H]ardness Supreme

Game runs awesome on my rig. Feels like the good Doom of old.

I've noticed some quirks/bugs, though.

1. Key bindings are sort of awkward; they don't show you all the keys that are mapped, so if you accidentally unmap one, you can't go back and remap it. You have to reset it and start all over from scratch.
    2. 5.1 surround sound is broken; when I switch to 7.1, surround sound works.

10. Squall_Rinoa89

Squall_Rinoa89 Limp Gawd

Dont think on playing DOOM on a 4K Screen with a 970M... talking about 20FPS on Ultra..

my Alienware however games @ 64'C

11. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

That was me. For some reason I couldn't play multiplayer until I got home. Maybe work was blocking it for me. But it would crash to the desktop every time there. Works perfectly now.

12. Daroller

Daroller [H]Lite

I picked it up on CDKeys for $46.99 CAD using DOOM666 as my coupon code.

13. ChronoDetector

ChronoDetector 2[H]4U

Just bought it, the SP campaign is quite nice, though a lack of quick save is annoying, as I expected one because ID games usually have this feature.

However, having a low ammo count limit is annoying, not sure if this can be raised when you progress further into the game.

MP still sucks, I don't see a mode where you can pick up weapons, the stupid loadout system is still present and doesn't seem to work well with this game.

However, the game seems to run well with a GTX 980Ti at Ultra settings at 3840x2160, getting an average between 40-50 FPS which I'm happy about. At least this engine is a huge improvement over IDTech 5.

14. DF-1

DF-1 [H]ard|Gawd

yeah, i just died like 95% into a mission and it sent me back 15 minutes, near the beginning, stopped for the day.

15. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

It annoys me too. I did see a stream where the person had the shotgun with 30 rounds max and the starting value is 20 rounds, so I guess it can go up later. By how much, though, I don't know.

16. deaedius

deaedius Gawd

I have to agree with others on how fluid the game play is even if the FPS drops. The visuals are great and totally has the classic doom feel with multi level touch to it. It can definitely be hectic and very fast paced and melee kills are a sweet add, saving ammo to melee kill the possessed and imps, while shot gunning everything else makes for a great experience. I was a bit worried the gameplay was going to be too fast, after dying a few times and getting used to it, it is a great experience! I'm pleased!

17. Pulsar

Pulsar Gawd

It increases. You need to put more points into your ammo capacity. I'm can have up to 50 shot shell currently.

18. ghostwich

ghostwich [H]ard|Gawd

It's weird, I changed my resolution (was messing with DSR) and I got stuck at 60fps when I went back to 1080p.

I had to restart the game to get back to 144-land.

Armenius likes this.
  19. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 [H]ardness Supreme

Kyle_Bennett you noted the multi-threading - can you possibly investigate that by testing with a high-core Xeon CPU?

20. Quartz-1

I've just tried running it for the first time and, of course, it's gone wrong. I have three screens and despite selecting Screen 3, my 4k screen, in Doom itself the game appears on screen 1, one of my 1200p portrait displays. I do have the latest Nvidia driver installed.

21. morningreis

morningreis 2[H]4U

The graphics in this game are incredible, and it runs great too. Totally playable on a 970 at 4K.

I love the fact that you can actually go outside in this one. They really nailed the martian landscape. Oh and aside from all the awesome visuals, the music in the game is spot on also.

Armenius and Flexion like this.
  22. morningreis

morningreis 2[H]4U

I'm running a 6 core/12 thread Xeon and my CPU usage was maybe maximum 20-25%. In fact, I was playing well into the morning which is when I have scheduled Plex to do its transcoding. So I was at 100% CPU usage, and it didn't slow down gameplay. I just let Plex do its thing and kept on playing Doom.

Armenius, Red Falcon and Quartz-1 like this.
  23. Quartz-1

I restarted Doom and it then worked properly on my 4K screen. I've enabled SLI in the Nvidia control panel, but I don't see it working in Doom. How do I check?

24. Quartz-1

What are people using to take screenshots?

25. jh24

jh24 Limp Gawd

Really enjoying the game so far, although I'm playing it in small steps. I only have a 760 GTX so I had to make some sacrifices. I'm impressed how efficient and smooth the engine is even with lower framerates.

After some testing I was able to keep lighting on Ultra and the rest on High/Medium. There seems to be a subtle difference between High and Ultra lighting in the sense the latter feels more vivid and has more contrast.

Turning down/Disabling Depth of Field (Anti-aliasing) and reducing motion blur really gave a boost to my FPS.

26. sk3tch

sk3tch [H]ard|Gawd

MSI Afterburner set to F12 and PNG which also takes a screenshot in Steam for upload to the Community (optionally).

27. Flexion

Flexion [H]ard|Gawd

Really it is. Been watching youtubes of it running on both consoles. They did really great work with this game engine. Finally some real next gen stuff.

28. Flexion

Flexion [H]ard|Gawd

If you can get your hands on it, perhaps try running 365.10, while it's not optimized for the game, it's running SLI with Doom. I was playing yesterday and saw both GPUs with similar activity/load and I did see improvements when switching SLI on vs off in the global profile.

Armenius and Azrak like this.
  29. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

Guess they're trying to throwback to the original games which had no save points or checkpoints so you make it to the final level boss or fight and die, you start the whole thing over. It used to piss me off to the point of madness but I always kept coming back because the game was so good. I'm sure I'll be bitching and raising hell in this game too but it looks like it'll be so good I keep coming back.

30. ghostwich

ghostwich [H]ard|Gawd

Just an FYI, Ultra sets most things to the max but there are two Nightmare settings - shadows and textures.

Armenius likes this.
  31. trudude

trudude [H]ard|Gawd

I'm running every single thing maxed out with adaptive vsync 8x AA @ 3440x1440 and the fps just basically sits at 60 all the time. Perfect for the screen I have. I would probably be okay @ 4k, but having a silky smooth 60fps constant is great.

32. Daroller

Daroller [H]Lite

What wizardry is this? 90fps+ @ 3440x1440 on a single TITAN X, I expected this game to be a lot more demanding!

20160513230719_1.jpg

I *love* the performance overlay. Well done, id.

Armenius likes this.
  33. MrSteel74

MrSteel74 [H]ard|Gawd

This game is fast and beautiful running max everything at 1440P, GSYNC on a Titan X and I have yet to see my fps drop below 100 simply amazing!

Armenius likes this.
  34. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

You can save/load anywhere in the original Doom games... F6/F9 normally

Armenius likes this.
  35. Taco

Taco [H]ard|Gawd

F6 and F9 are ingrained in me to this day. I always remap quick save and load to those keys.

36. Damar

Damar [H]ardness Supreme

I set my 970's to AFR1 and they are running 65%/70% utilization with the settings I picked at 1440 resolution.

Didn't try AFR2 yet, though I might.

Armenius and Azrak like this.
  37. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

Ah. Well I played the PS1 version of Doom and Final Doom. Way way better sound effects and music. In the PS1 version, if you died before you completed a level, you restarted at the beginning of that level.

Youn likes this.
  38. rezerekted

rezerekted 2[H]4U

You're sure that site is legit? How can they sell it for so much cheaper if it is?

39. rezerekted

rezerekted 2[H]4U

Turn off vsync?

40. ep0x73

ep0x73 2[H]4U

Game looks really slick, great graphics. I don't remember when I last played the original but I never finished it.
    It was like playing a horror movie, some scenes really scared the piss out of you [surprise wise]