Anyone Getting Their DOOM On?

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, May 13, 2016.

1. windianrecords

windianrecords Limp Gawd

Great - controllers still not working, now on both systems if I go to change graphics settings to Custom the game just dies and goes to desktop. Getting "
    Aborting, as com_enableCrashHandler is not set." in qconsole.log.

EDITED TO ADD:

Alright, if anyone else has tried to change to "CUSTOM' graphics and gotten kicked out, I've found a workaround - Set it to 'HIGH' or 'MEDIUM', re-modify your settings (I put paging memory to ULTRA), then the 'CUSTOM' setting will overwrite itself.

Still don't know what the deal is with controllers, but it doesnt seem like a common problem at all...

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

Starting to get a little old. Slowly wander around and OH SHIT there are 5 million demons dog piling you. You die several times and repeat the same shit because the checkpoint is 10 minutes behind the ambush. Finally clear out the horde and then slowly wander around until OH SHIT there are 5 million demons dog piling you. And on and on it goes. I'm finding I can't play more than about 30 minutes before rage quitting.

Rustynuts likes this.
  3. Flybye

Flybye Limp Gawd

I only have 2x660Ti in SLI with 3GB VRAM each. At 2304x1440 almost all 3GB were being used. But 2304x1440 ended up being a bit to much since I was usually in the 40-50fps range, so I had to go down to 1920x1200 which gave me a nice bump of about 20-30fps, but I havent counted VRAM usuge with it. Yeah its probably time to upgrade cards.

Other than that guys I am LOVING new Doom! Playing in Nightmare of course. :D I have about 36 hours in. It feels like a beautiful marriage of Quake and Doom. I have been mostly using scroll wheel to switch between weapons, but now Ive found myself stuck in an area for almost 3 hours where I am seriously going to have to go hardcore and bind weapons like I did in UT2k4 to pass this area. Funny thing is this area is just after I got the BFG. I sneezed and preshot the BFG using up my last round which would have been VERY helpful where I am stuck. So I am going to have to get very creative.

I am kinda and kinda not bothering with some of the secrets. I will go through all the areas in the map that are still grayed out, but I wont go too crazy for it if I cant find it. It takes time from having fun with the demons.

I played Doom3 something about 3-4 times the last times with texture and difficulty upgrades, and new Doom is looking to have a great replayability to it.

4. Beerbob

Beerbob n00bie

Hi, folks:

Not sure if this is in the right place. Anyhow, I've just put together a triple monitor rig (3x HD), and tried to get DOOM 4 to run on it. It does, but it's incredibly distorted - stretched horizontally. it's set at 5760x1080, but it looks like a 1920 x 1080 that's been stretched out. Like 16x9 spread over 58x9.

I can't believe that Id's Tech6 doesn't work properly with triple monitors, so, I'm missing something. I tried messing with the FOV, but that didn't do anything. I'm new at setting up games for widescreen, but Borderlands 2 and TPS just worked - enable Surround, then pick the resolution. Even DOOM 3 BFG worked perfectly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Beerbob

5. Taco

Taco [H]ard|Gawd

So enjoyed the game tremendously, right up until the final boss. Which is a sadly uninspired bullet sponge in a tiny 1 level circular arena with basically no cover or any worthwhile change-ups to keep the battle interesting. So I'm going to go ahead and not finish the game.

Don't get how bullet sponge final bosses are still a thing. I don't think I'm missing any trick to do extra damage. Dumb dumb dumb, don't have the patience.

6. jiminator

jiminator [H]ardForum Junkie

shoot the brain matter. I couldn't figure it out so I youtubed it. the brain staggers it so it cancels a lot of the attacks.

Pyroja and Armenius like this.
  7. Taco

Taco [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, I've watched the YouTube vids, none make it look like anything I'm interested in slogging through.

8. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

There is a loading screen tip that says if it has a head, it's its weak spot. I don't think you can get a head that is any bigger...

Pyroja likes this.
  9. LaAaZ

LaAaZ [H]Lite

I just finished the game on hurt me plenty. It took me almost 27 hours. I found about half of the secrets and unlocked 3 of the classic doom levels. I was probably slower than most, but faster than my friend who has put in 28 hours and just got the bfg. I thought that the game was great!

How long did it take you guys to beat the game?

10. DrDoU

DrDoU 2[H]4U

Just bought it today can't wait to play.

heatlesssun and KazeoHin like this.
  11. jiminator

I put about 45 hours into the game, but only because I would play a level then go back and replay it until I got all the unlocks I missed.

12. ShamisOMally

ShamisOMally [H]ard|Gawd

Its digital sex

Sadly I doubt gamers will get laid for another 15+ years again....

13. crispyb

crispyb Magical Crispyness

19hrs in and at Necropolis on Hurt Me Plenty. How much more until the final boss?

14. cryogenic419

cryogenic419 n00bie

I tried to load this up with my GTX 580...its ugly and painfully slow at 1920x1200. Not so patiently waiting on 1080 or 1070's to be in stock.

15. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

I'm purposefully holding off on replaying the campaign again until Vulcan is patched in and/or SLI is properly supported. I had to turn down a setting or two to meet appropriate performance for 4K, even then it dropped to 45FPS in some areas. The patch can't come soon enough.

16. carnageX

carnageX Limp Gawd

2 levels left after Necropolis.

17. Flybye

Flybye Limp Gawd

I finished it in about 51 hours and loved every minute of it.

18. aeliusg

aeliusg Gawd

I had doubts about Bethesda's involvement in the game, but it ended up being a GOTY for sure.

19. Ozzman

Ozzman [H]Lite

20. jfreund

jfreund Gawd

Checkpoint? I'll be skipping this one.

21. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

You'll be missing out. It does get old as it seems to go from one mass brawl to the next but it's still a lot of fun and I always wind up coming back to it after a few minutes of bitching and moaning. So while I don't care for the checkpoint system or the mass brawl system, it's still a great game and worth buying if you like single player shooters.

Armenius likes this.
  22. jfreund

jfreund Gawd

It's a deal-breaker for me. It's in the same category of unforgivable as non-remappable controls. There's no excuse for any PC game in the last 25 years to do it.

I still set Quick Save to F6 and Quick Load to F9 when possible, because that's the way DOOM, DOOM II, Quake,and Quake II did it, and that's what I got used to .

23. jiminator

the checkpoint system works pretty well in the game. it typically saves after completing certain actions or before initiating some types of actions. flimsy justification as a "reason" goes, especially when the game is otherwise so strong that harsh critics love the game.

24. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

downloading the demo now.

25. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

The checkpoints are fine in this. There are plenty of them, and I barely die often enough to even notice. Anyone who skips this game because of something like this should get their head examined. Seriously, they put you right back almost where you died (there are so many).

Red Falcon and Flexion like this.
  26. defaultluser

defaultluser [H]ardForum Junkie

And there's an easy mode if you feel the checkpoints are too hard on Hurt Me Plenty.

I played through the demo on Hurt Me Plenty without dying, and last night got past the first level before I finally died. The checkpoint system starts you over right at the room before I died. It's not insane like Borderlands, where you have to get to a transit station to actually permanently save the game. No, you can pick it up at your last checkpoint.

Also, can run the game at 1080p on my GTX 960 2gb on high with just medium textures. I regret not waiting for a 4GB card, but only a little, cause the difference between med and high textures is not huge. I notice the difference between mid and high effects far more.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  27. Red Falcon

Red Falcon [H]ardForum Junkie

Like the others have said, the checkpoints in this are very reasonable and are not annoying at all.
    It literally starts you off from the last room or right before the last big battle.

Every time I died, I didn't even notice, and the stage reloads are very fast, even with a HDD, so no super long waits while the stage resets.
    I have to say, they did this one right. :cool:

28. DocFaustus

DocFaustus 2[H]4U

I really like the checkpoint system in this game. The game is a series of mini-battles and it saves your progress after every battle. Letting you focus more blasting holes in demons and less on should you save or not.

29. Executioner

Executioner Limp Gawd

I'm playing on an ancient rig: running a Geforce 660gtx with 8 gigs of ram on windows 7. The cpu is a quad core 2.4GHz Q6600, on an Asus P5KE. The only change I did was to upgrade my video drivers. The game played fine with NO adjustments to any video settings until I got to the level after the Foundry. It took almost 2 minutes for the new level to load, but after that it was running fine. My system though did get pretty warm. I had to put an external fan to blow air into the tower, and being that we are in summer does not help. I may have to play only in the early morning hours to avoid overheating the system.
    I must say that the graphics are amazing including the AI.

windianrecords likes this.
  30. defaultluser

defaultluser [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, the game has pretty good auto-detection of your card and adjusting settings. Other than the "Ultra" texture cache on my 2GB GTX 960 + Core i5 plus 16GB ram, the mid/high auto-settings were pretty good.

I can play fine on 1080p all high effects, and medium texture cache, and I get consistent 80fps. The textures are hard to tell the difference.

CPU is not an issue in this game, you could play it on an ancient Core 2 Duo. The game is doing so little compared to your average massive Battlefield game, the cores are mostly idle. And yet it still feels like great fun!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  31. windianrecords

windianrecords Limp Gawd

Anybody lose their saves to the developer mode bug? This guy did, and he is furious!