Anyone Getting Their DOOM On?

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, May 13, 2016.

1. mobusta1

mobusta1 2[H]4U

People who are playing on a 290x reference card with a 4770k at 1440p can you please chime in on how it plays and if you're able to max out everything?

2. jmilcher

jmilcher 2[H]4U

One word... underwhelmed. Finished single player in around 8 hours. Good thing I got the game for free.

3. mobusta1

mobusta1 2[H]4U

Maybe it's just me but the game looks very CODish....

This is just from watching other people play on youtube though.

4. EchoWars

EchoWars Limp Gawd

I'm a little bit disappointed as well. Having fun, sure, but I suppose I was expecting more given all the hype.

5. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

I would agree. The atmosphere & environment looks to sterile. Something about the textures puts me off, I wonder what resolution they are, I'm guessing 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 from the looks of them to accommodate the consoles. Everything looks plastic IMO. (All this is taken from what I've seen in videos & from what I played during the open MP).

6. Taco

Taco [H]ard|Gawd

Love it or hate it, I haven't any clue how someone could see similarities with CoD.

7. trudude

trudude [H]ard|Gawd

8. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

^^ b e a utiful. I am still in shock how well a 980ti (1501/7800) handles 4k on this game with everything maxed.I would imagine one titan x would do the same.

I forgot how FUCKING fun this game can be... They got it just right.. the fast and furious speed - yet I feel like I am not all over the place, like I have good control of the end of my weapon. The atmosphere and the monsters - great! And I love the new additions, power ups and mods, etc.. Damnit it's been a long time. Now going to wait for night so I can play in the dark.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    Armenius and gigatexal like this.
  9. Krenum

I think I know what it is now. Its the fog , just like in Fallout 4(Which makes sense since their both using the same engine). Hopefully there will be a mod like "fogout" for F4 that will get rid of it. Or a good SweetFX Reshade.

10. gigatexal

gigatexal [H]ardness Supreme

Fwiw my single Titan X @ 1.4Ghz on dual Xeon e5 2670s with everything maxxed gets 60FPS at 1440p (8x TXAA fob at like 120, everything ultra)

11. Brent_Justice

Brent_Justice [H] Video Card Managing Editor Staff Member

Just dropping this bit of info, Fury X is percentage points behind 980 Ti at 4K in this game, game is playable at same settings between Fury X and 980 Ti at 4K. Every now and then I get a hiccup or something in the game on Fury X, as if its streaming textures in. Likely this game does not use the Fury X's dynamic VRAM (not confirmed).

12. Pulsar

Pulsar Gawd

Seriously. About the only thing this has in common with CoD is that its a FPS and has guns.

Armenius likes this.
  13. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

It's either people who don't know what an id game is in the first place, or someone who hasn't played it. (Rolls eyes as hard as possible)

Armenius and Pulsar like this.
  14. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

It's not the same engine.

Also, the volumetric effects are amazing in this game. There is a fan in the foundry level with fog and green light streaming through. I had to stop and stare at it. Gorgeous. I know some people hate fog in games, and if it's not your thing, cool. But it is very well done IMO.

This isn't meant as a jab, but have you played it yet? This isn't a static haze. If you're going by screenshots, I don't think you understand.

Armenius and Pulsar like this.
  15. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

Just got to play a couple hours of this and I have to say, I'm very impressed so far. The graphics are excellent, the gameplay is excellent. The monsters are decent so far and the guns are pretty cool. Do wish you could get a little more ammunition though. Keep running out of shotgun shells and have to rely on melee attacks too much. Overall though, I'm very pleased and consider it $60 well spent.

16. jwcalla

jwcalla 2[H]4U

Look at all the new OpenGL converts!

17. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

Ha!! :D

18. Mugato

Mugato Gawd

That's how us old folks used to do it =P

19. Daroller

Daroller [H]Lite

Not exactly new to OpenGL (been using it since minigl on my voodoo) but you have to admit this is the best example we've seen in a l-o-n-g time.

The performance is a bit of a double edged sword. I can't see any reason for [H] to add this to their testing suite.

20. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

I would love to see a AAA openGL/Vulkan title added to the testing suite. The nightmare texture mode alone is great to test VRAM and the game really punishes certain cards.

21. gigatexal

gigatexal [H]ardness Supreme

Nightmare texture mode?

22. Rustynuts

Rustynuts Pick your own.....you deserve it.

I'm OG (original gamer) with wolfenstein and Doom, not impressed so far, but only gave it about 15 minutes. Graphics aside, it definitely has that shooter on rails feel and nothing original. At least throw some head/weapon bobbing in so it feels like you are actually walking/running. Movement is TOO smooth. Possibly trying to be too faithful/retro, or just an oversight/lazy?

23. carnageX

carnageX Limp Gawd

In the Advanced graphics settings there's a Nightmare texture mode; requires a GPU with at least 5GB of VRAM for it to even be enabled, though.

Red Falcon and gigatexal like this.
  24. windianrecords

windianrecords Limp Gawd

Im having a great time with the game personally, but I definitely agree with the movement animation maybe feeling a little weird... Like, the way the Imps and other characters are so fluid, a little head movement would feel nice, or at least as an option since they fortunately gave us so many.

Sometimes I cant tell if im walking or sprinting when using the controller, kb/m is obviously different but Ive already got this game set up on 4 of my comps and only two are kb friendly.

25. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 [H]ardness Supreme

How do I get the game to show VRAM usage?

26. Phelptwan

Phelptwan [H]ardness Supreme

I have to say, I'm having a ton of fun with this game and am pleasantly surprised. The guns are great, the powerups/mods/etc structure isn't horrendously cumbersome. I do really wish there was a flashlight though.

Armenius and gigatexal like this.
  27. Ranulfo

Ranulfo Gawd

MP beta was definately like COD/Halo. Loadouts? In my DOOM or Quake? Blasphemy. The reviews/impressions of single player are what is keeping me interested in picking this up.

28. Taco

Taco [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe. Enough MP games out there, I'm pretending it doesn't exist in Doom and haven't played it.

29. jiminator

jiminator [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm enjoying the game. I really like how it is almost an RPG with the different weapons, upgrades, abilities and challenges. Don't see how anyone could do all that in 8 hours.

Launch options I use:
    +set m_smooth 0 +com_skipIntroVideo 1

for challenges the levels can be replayed. If you need certain enemies that are near a checkpoint then it is easy to go back to the checkpoint until you have them all. The rune challenges you replay from the main menu. max ammo - I have 50 now and one upgrade left.

Anyway this feels like a much much better game than the last one, which was just about jump scares.

30. Krenum

Every single FPS game that's come out in the last 5 years have had these "RPG" elements tacked onto them to entice the Battlefield / COD crowd.

At least Doom 3 had a mission, to scare you & it achieved its goal. DOOM 2016 has a real identity crisis.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  31. Terpfen

Terpfen [H]ardness Supreme

So, the stereotypical BF/COD player loves RPGs? Is this really what you're claiming?

I do not think those words mean what you think they mean.

Armenius likes this.
  32. Krenum

No, the stereotypical BF/COD loves BF/COD. And games like it.

I think they mean exactly what I know they mean.

33. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

I feel I must ask one more time. Have you played this yet?

Armenius likes this.
  34. Krenum

No I haven't but I don't think I need to to grasp the design elements of the game. Especially things like , Achievements, Skill / Equipment Unlocks, Perks....ect. I do plan to get around to it at some point though.

Reason I haven't is that I'm still working on The Witcher 3 and my 120GB SSD isn't large enough for the 50GB install. Going to have to purchase a larger SSD soon.

35. Flexion

Flexion [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah so... The only semi/remotely similar thing to "RPG" elements that exist in this game are finding some upgrades and making choices on which upgrades to prioritize.

I think it's not too RPG'ish and will add a nice incentive to replay the game campaign over with different choices. (I don't have to grind certain things over and over to increase my character level, etc.)

Anyone else think Doom will get game of the year?

Armenius likes this.
  36. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

Identity crisis? Well, there's the fun factor and you are certainly missing out on that. The "RPG" elements are very well placed into the game nothing major - just weapon mods and upgrades to your suit and stuff. I mean the game is fun, exciting, scary, gory, fast and furious, difficult at times... I actually enjoy the occasional pause to spend some tokens on some upgrades.. All that shit aside, the game is still great. I mean, I feel like I am playing a worthy addition to the franchise and I am Doom nut. Once I clear our a level I am having a blast going back for all the secrets - just like the original.

Armenius, windianrecords and Pulsar like this.
  37. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

Fair enough, but I really feel like you're emphasizing things that are actually not emphasized in the game. They're just fun little optional mods.

They added things to the game, sure, but it is a pure id experience. Totally understand the drive space thing. Hope you get to enjoy this though. It's a good game.

Armenius likes this.
  38. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

2003:

"WTF This game is so dark, I'm going to go manually download a dodgy flashlight weapon upgrade!"

2016:

" WTF this game has weapon and suit upgrades? what casual trash!"

Armenius likes this.
  39. Red Falcon

Red Falcon [H]ardForum Junkie

Actually, DOOM 3 was released in 2004. ;)
    Yeah, I remember so many people were upset about the flashlight, but I thought it was a fun, albeit forced, piece of equipment.

As for DOOM 2016, the upgrades are actually useful and are not exactly easy to obtain; I would hardly call this game "casual", and I do have to say that this could easily make game of the year, at least in my book.

Armenius likes this.
  40. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

Agreed! I feel like I've worked for every upgrade I've gotten, but it happens naturally as the game progresses. No RPG grind, but they don't make it easy. Perfect really, for this sort of game.

Still having an absolute blast. Just had my first encounters with an "old friend" demon. :D something to do with a keycard.

Red Falcon and Armenius like this.