Anyone Getting Their DOOM On?

Call me boring, simple-minded, etc. but I'm having an absolute blast, and have been the entire time I've been playing this. I actually don't want it to end. I'll likely hit the multiplayer a bit after I finish single player, then play through it again, but with different upgrades, maybe see if I can find more secrets earlier on than I did on this play, etc.

But then, I've played through Doom 3 at least 6-7 times, same with other Quakes and Dooms, and RAGE I've probably been through 3-4 times.

I like complex games too, but these fill a specific role in my gaming that other games just don't.

I know, right!
This game has been amazing so far, and I was really hesitant after seeing some of id's previous games in the last 5-6 years.

DOOM 2016 has blown my socks off, and went way above my expectations.
I hear you on the specific role thing, too; DOOM and Quake aren't just normal games, they tend to be technological-breakthrough and benchmark games, setting a new standard for all games of that era to follow.

Milestones just from what I remember:
DOOM I and II - First multiplayer gaming over TCP/IP and full utilization of a CPU's FPU.
Quake - Full 3D models and terrain; pushed classic SLI to the limits.
Quake II and III - Really what launched LAN parties and multi-player gaming into what they would become before the MMO-era in gaming.
DOOM 3 - Fully uncompressed mipmap images and textures, pushing the VRAM to 512MB (128MB-256MB were in high-end GPUs at the time); ported to GNU/Linux.
Quake 4 - First game to fully support true SMP with up to two threads on the then-new x86 dual-core CPUs (AMD Athlon X2 and Intel Pentium D).

In fact, funny story, I remember back in 1992 when id was in my town running a demo of a DOOM prototype.
I remember my cousin's were playing in the other three separate booths, and when I could see them moving their characters around on my screen, all on different computers mind you, it was completely mind-blowing.

Not sure if John Carmack or anyone else on the main id development team was there at the time, and honestly, I was so young I wouldn't have known who they were anyways, even if they had introduced themselves.
But, I do remember it well, and at the time, Wolfenstein 3D was my favorite PC game; had no clue they were the same developers of both games. :cool:

I know, right!
This game has been amazing so far, and I was really hesitant after seeing some of id's previous games in the last 5-6 years.

DOOM 2016 has blown my socks off, and went way above my expectations.
I hear you on the specific role thing, too; DOOM and Quake aren't just normal games, they tend to be technological-breakthrough and benchmark games, setting a new standard for all games of that era to follow.

Milestones just from what I remember:
DOOM I and II - First multiplayer gaming over TCP/IP and full utilization of a CPU's FPU.
Quake - Full 3D models and terrain; pushed classic SLI to the limits.
Quake II and III - Really what launched LAN parties and multi-player gaming into what they would become before the MMO-era in gaming.
DOOM 3 - Fully uncompressed mipmap images and textures, pushing the VRAM to 512MB (128MB-256MB were in high-end GPUs at the time); ported to GNU/Linux.
Quake 4 - First game to fully support true SMP with up to two threads on the then-new x86 dual-core CPUs (AMD Athlon X2 and Intel Pentium D).

In fact, funny story, I remember back in 1992 when id was in my town running a demo of a DOOM prototype.
I remember my cousin's were playing in the other three separate booths, and when I could see them moving their characters around on my screen, all on different computers mind you, it was completely mind-blowing.

Not sure if John Carmack or anyone else on the main id development team was there at the time, and honestly, I was so young I wouldn't have known who they were anyways, even if they had introduced themselves.
But, I do remember it well, and at the time, Wolfenstein 3D was my favorite PC game; had no clue they were the same developers of both games. :cool:

Ha! I used to hang out in the media lab of a local school with a bunch of programmers, musicians, etc. after hours. We'd go in there, play games, some would code, (they were always attempting to create a scene demo, but never quite did it :D ) and just generally have a good time. Never knew how we got away with it for so long, but the director of the department was pretty cool. Maybe he liked having his own band of misfit computer nerds. :D

Anyway, we "acquired" (pulled off a BBS somewhere) a very early (I want to say .02 or .2) pre-Alpha of Doom. We just sat there staring at the screen as one of the guys walked around empty hallways with a rifle that had a weird bayonet. We were probably all drooling. :D After playing Wolfenstein so much, seeing the increased textures, actual ceilings and floors, etc. flying by, was pretty insane. I remember it had a blue map function. (later green, orange, yellow). It was so cool seeing your position on the map while running around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got both of the Nightmare settings enabled properly.
It actually does help a lot by pushing a ton of textures into the VRAM, but make sure you either have a fast HDD RAID0 or RAID10 array or SSD, otherwise it will take some time for the textures to get loaded from the drive to the GPU; nothing astronomical or performance decreasing, just a bit of texture loading until everything is fully loaded.

Running at everything Ultra (no Nightmare) at 2560x1080, VRAM usage was around 2.3GB used.
Running at everything Ultra (with Nightmare) at 2560x1080, VRAM usage was around 4.5GB used.

This was only on a 2K display, and I'm sure on a higher resolution 2K or 4K display, the VRAM will easily go above 5GB, so id's requirement for this amount is definitely necessary.
I actually saw a performance boost once all of the textures were loaded from the drive to the GPU, and made the game run a lot smoother; VRAM is faster at loading additional textures than system RAM.

It actually does help a lot by pushing a ton of textures into the VRAM, but make sure you either have a fast HDD RAID0 or RAID10 array or SSD, otherwise it will take some time for the textures to get loaded from the drive to the GPU; nothing astronomical or performance decreasing, just a bit of texture loading until everything is fully loaded.

Running at everything Ultra (no Nightmare) at 2560x1080, VRAM usage was around 2.3GB used.
Running at everything Ultra (with Nightmare) at 2560x1080, VRAM usage was around 4.5GB used.

This was only on a 2K display, and I'm sure on a higher resolution 2K or 4K display, the VRAM will easily go above 5GB, so id's requirement for this amount is definitely necessary.
I actually saw a performance boost once all of the textures were loaded from the drive to the GPU, and made the game run a lot smoother; VRAM is faster at loading additional textures than system RAM.
I haven't checked the VRAM usage myself, but can confirm that I also experienced a jump in performance in both raw FPS and smoothness with the paging size increased to Nightmare. If you have a 980 Ti, Titan X, 390 or 390X you should definitely be using this setting. With it on I'm very nearly capped at my 144 Hz refresh rate all the time while on Ultra I was only getting 100-110 FPS. This is at 2560x1440.

just finished the game, really liked it. Complaints - there are probably too many weapons, making it difficult to switch to the right one using a mouse wheel. I think they probably could have ditched the plasma rifle and the super shotgun. The other thing I did not like was the double boss fight into hell with no restock and a checkpoint save in the middle. I have almost all the unlocks except some rune upgrades and a couple of the final weapon mod unlocks. Secrets some levels I found them all, but after 30 minutes searching I would hit youtube. Those goddamn levers :) Anyway I am pretty impressed with the game. An excellent variety of enemies and some really great animations, especially with the finishing moves. The challenges and upgrades added a lot of zing to the game. It is just far superior IMO to #3 - which I will probably replay the BFG version. Final thing - I wish they had a NG+ version where you could carry over your unlocks. Not for achievements. Just the entire game. The replay mission option is not the same.

15 hours is how long it took me. The last 5 hours or so were a drag. That's why I say too long. For most games 15 hours is fine but in one where it's literally the same thing over and over and over again...yeah...get's a tad long in the tooth.

I feel the same way. I had a lot of fun with this game, and I'll certainly replay some of the levels, but the last few hours started to feel like a drag as well. I think it started around Titan's Realm. One arena after another. I loved the Crucible level after that one though, but the rest of the game became a bit of a chore. I really wished they added some new elements in the final levels. Every time you reach a new arena-like setting, you just know which monsters will spawn next.

Last edited:
I feel the same way. I had a lot of fun with this game, and I'll certainly replay some of the levels, but the last few hours started to feel like a drag as well. I think it started around Titan's Realm. One arena after another. I loved the Crucible level after that one though, but the rest of the game became a bit of a chore. I really wished they added some new elements in the final levels. Every time you reach a new arena-like setting, you just know which monsters will spawn next.

Exactly. It's almost like the developers were getting bored. Every level was the same thing. Simple zombies, then Imps and the shooting zombies, then the tall strong dudes and the rocket shoulders, then the floating demon chick, then end it off with the fat arm cannon and horned dudes.

That was every level after the first 2/3rds of the game. It's like they didn't even try...

just finished the game, really liked it. Complaints - there are probably too many weapons, making it difficult to switch to the right one using a mouse wheel. I think they probably could have ditched the plasma rifle and the super shotgun.

I'll agree with the super shotgun, did seem pretty pointless. The plasma rifle however, once upgraded with the blast wave, was a fucking beast! Especially if you got it to the ultimate level and could power blast everyone every 3 seconds.

The super shotgun is amazing! In fact, once you fully upgrade it, you can shoot it twice per load. Increasing it's effectiveness on murdering.

Yeah, Super Shotgun is my weapon of choice. I have plasma with power blast and rarely use it.

The super shotgun is amazing! In fact, once you fully upgrade it, you can shoot it twice per load. Increasing it's effectiveness on murdering.

Yeah, Super Shotgun is my weapon of choice. I have plasma with power blast and rarely use it.

Add me to the Super Shotgun bandwagon. While of course you have to get in close to do nice damage, the damage is truly there. Hits like a truck if you can get up close and land headshots.

I used the assualt rifle, have both skill trees maxed out on it and the gauss cannon, super shotgun, and the rocket launcher with homing missiles. All the other weapons i use in the "oh shit" moments where im out of ammo and just need to run around and live. The gauss cannon with the charged beam while walking around with it is almost too powerful.

The only gun I felt that was kinda pointless, was the "mini-gun" or chain-gun. I rarely ever use it.

If you get the Rune that unlocks unlimited ammo, then using the assault rifle is like a bombardment of rockets. It's amazing.

The mini-gun in dual barrel mode can clean out entire levels fast as long as you keep your armor up so yeah, that was a go-to weapon for me. The other weapons and mods seem to have too much crossover. There is explosive shotgun, missile assault rifle and rocket launcher. WTF. 3-shot shotgun and super-shotgun. The plasma gun is interesting, just not sure what to do with it. Regular fire is too weak and switching with mouse wheel is a pain.

The mini-gun in dual barrel mode can clean out entire levels fast as long as you keep your armor up so yeah, that was a go-to weapon for me. The other weapons and mods seem to have too much crossover. There is explosive shotgun, missile assault rifle and rocket launcher. WTF. 3-shot shotgun and super-shotgun. The plasma gun is interesting, just not sure what to do with it. Regular fire is too weak and switching with mouse wheel is a pain.

The plasma was good for getting rid of the guys with shields.

I kill imps with the normal shotgun. Midrange enemies with the super. Distant enemies with either gauss or assault rifle. I typically only use the rockets on mancubi.

Love the super shotgun though. It's fun because of the timing required.

I am enjoying the ever living hell out of it.

However, my progress has been slow because something in by fucked-up brain is preventing me from completing a map until I discover every secret. I'm not sure where this new-found OCD is coming from.

that works for a while but then the maps start having no backwards paths. so I did the levels and find what I can find then hit youtube and replay. :)

The heat blast mod is pretty useful, especially once fully upgraded. It can be a lifesaver if you're focusing on the harder enemies and get surrounded by a bunch of possessed and imps. Before getting the auto heat generator I would just fire the thing at the wall before entering an arena to have it ready.

The heat blast mod is pretty useful, especially once fully upgraded. It can be a lifesaver if you're focusing on the harder enemies and get surrounded by a bunch of possessed and imps. Before getting the auto heat generator I would just fire the thing at the wall before entering an arena to have it ready.

The stun mod is also useful for getting rid of shield dudes and pinky demons.

I am enjoying the ever living hell out of it.

However, my progress has been slow because something in by fucked-up brain is preventing me from completing a map until I discover every secret. I'm not sure where this new-found OCD is coming from.
Happened to me about mid way through the game, now i cant beat a mission unless ive gotten every possible secret/item.

It's pretty easy to find most of the secrets if you max out the Exploration perks. The classic Doom levels though are a pain in the ass.

I am too poor to get the new DOOM game right now.

Thankfully, I just discovered Brutal Doom. So now I'm replaying all the classics :) That should hold me over until I can get the new one.

I am too poor to get the new DOOM game right now.

Thankfully, I just discovered Brutal Doom. So now I'm replaying all the classics :) That should hold me over until I can get the new one.

Played Brutal for the two weeks before it came out, hadn't played it until then. Pretty damn fun!

Right now I've got too many little jobs to take care of before getting back into the game, setting up HIPAA compliant email servers is even more of a chore when you know you could be blowing Cacodemons to bits instead...

Played Brutal for the two weeks before it came out, hadn't played it until then. Pretty damn fun!

Right now I've got too many little jobs to take care of before getting back into the game, setting up HIPAA compliant email servers is even more of a chore when you know you could be blowing Cacodemons to bits instead...

talktothemonsters.jpg

CHOP CHOP!
Those e-mail servers aren't going to build themselves, my dear boy, and time is money! :D

Great - controllers still not working, now on both systems if I go to change graphics settings to Custom the game just dies and goes to desktop. Getting "
Aborting, as com_enableCrashHandler is not set." in qconsole.log.

EDITED TO ADD:

Alright, if anyone else has tried to change to "CUSTOM' graphics and gotten kicked out, I've found a workaround - Set it to 'HIGH' or 'MEDIUM', re-modify your settings (I put paging memory to ULTRA), then the 'CUSTOM' setting will overwrite itself.

Still don't know what the deal is with controllers, but it doesnt seem like a common problem at all...

Last edited:
Starting to get a little old. Slowly wander around and OH SHIT there are 5 million demons dog piling you. You die several times and repeat the same shit because the checkpoint is 10 minutes behind the ambush. Finally clear out the horde and then slowly wander around until OH SHIT there are 5 million demons dog piling you. And on and on it goes. I'm finding I can't play more than about 30 minutes before rage quitting.

I only have 2x660Ti in SLI with 3GB VRAM each. At 2304x1440 almost all 3GB were being used. But 2304x1440 ended up being a bit to much since I was usually in the 40-50fps range, so I had to go down to 1920x1200 which gave me a nice bump of about 20-30fps, but I havent counted VRAM usuge with it. Yeah its probably time to upgrade cards.

Other than that guys I am LOVING new Doom! Playing in Nightmare of course. :D I have about 36 hours in. It feels like a beautiful marriage of Quake and Doom. I have been mostly using scroll wheel to switch between weapons, but now Ive found myself stuck in an area for almost 3 hours where I am seriously going to have to go hardcore and bind weapons like I did in UT2k4 to pass this area. Funny thing is this area is just after I got the BFG. I sneezed and preshot the BFG using up my last round which would have been VERY helpful where I am stuck. So I am going to have to get very creative.

I am kinda and kinda not bothering with some of the secrets. I will go through all the areas in the map that are still grayed out, but I wont go too crazy for it if I cant find it. It takes time from having fun with the demons.

I played Doom3 something about 3-4 times the last times with texture and difficulty upgrades, and new Doom is looking to have a great replayability to it.

Hi, folks:

Not sure if this is in the right place. Anyhow, I've just put together a triple monitor rig (3x HD), and tried to get DOOM 4 to run on it. It does, but it's incredibly distorted - stretched horizontally. it's set at 5760x1080, but it looks like a 1920 x 1080 that's been stretched out. Like 16x9 spread over 58x9.

I can't believe that Id's Tech6 doesn't work properly with triple monitors, so, I'm missing something. I tried messing with the FOV, but that didn't do anything. I'm new at setting up games for widescreen, but Borderlands 2 and TPS just worked - enable Surround, then pick the resolution. Even DOOM 3 BFG worked perfectly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Beerbob

So enjoyed the game tremendously, right up until the final boss. Which is a sadly uninspired bullet sponge in a tiny 1 level circular arena with basically no cover or any worthwhile change-ups to keep the battle interesting. So I'm going to go ahead and not finish the game.

Don't get how bullet sponge final bosses are still a thing. I don't think I'm missing any trick to do extra damage. Dumb dumb dumb, don't have the patience.

Don't get how bullet sponge final bosses are still a thing. I don't think I'm missing any trick to do extra damage. Dumb dumb dumb, don't have the patience.

shoot the brain matter. I couldn't figure it out so I youtubed it. the brain staggers it so it cancels a lot of the attacks.

Yeah, I've watched the YouTube vids, none make it look like anything I'm interested in slogging through.

shoot the brain matter. I couldn't figure it out so I youtubed it. the brain staggers it so it cancels a lot of the attacks.
There is a loading screen tip that says if it has a head, it's its weak spot. I don't think you can get a head that is any bigger...

I just finished the game on hurt me plenty. It took me almost 27 hours. I found about half of the secrets and unlocked 3 of the classic doom levels. I was probably slower than most, but faster than my friend who has put in 28 hours and just got the bfg. I thought that the game was great!

How long did it take you guys to beat the game?

I put about 45 hours into the game, but only because I would play a level then go back and replay it until I got all the unlocks I missed.

19hrs in and at Necropolis on Hurt Me Plenty. How much more until the final boss?

I tried to load this up with my GTX 580...its ugly and painfully slow at 1920x1200. Not so patiently waiting on 1080 or 1070's to be in stock.

Back