• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Anyone Getting Their DOOM On?

I didn't like The Last of Us...like, at all. I completed the game because I felt I needed to in order to have an opinion. I'm a mild glutton for punishment. As, I also read Twilight so I can argue with my friend's girlfriends and wives about "sexism" in media. So, I can understand why someone would play all the way through it and not like it. Though, I do question the POV if you can't point to something that's positive, as you digested it quickly...thus, it had to do something right. But, when dealing with gamers, the appetite we tend to have is aggressively compulsive. So, sometimes, logic takes a back seat to feeding a need.

Oh, I'm aware of the reasons one might do it. Still puzzling though. :D Personally, if I don't like a game, I press on it bit. If I can't get into it then, I put it down for another day. If I still don't get into it at a later time, I just don't play it anymore. It's funny how many times though a game has hooked me the second time around at a later date. I didn't get into System Shock the first time I played it. I decided to give it another try a few months later, and it became my favorite game of all time to this day. I don't think I've ever pushed myself all the way through a game that I just plain didn't like though.
 
Oh, I'm aware of the reasons one might do it. Still puzzling though. :D Personally, if I don't like a game, I press on it bit. If I can't get into it then, I put it down for another day. If I still don't get into it at a later time, I just don't play it anymore. It's funny how many times though a game has hooked me the second time around at a later date. I didn't get into System Shock the first time I played it. I decided to give it another try a few months later, and it became my favorite game of all time to this day. I don't think I've ever pushed myself all the way through a game that I just plain didn't like though.

Also, I'm curious if the negative reactions are coming from trying to play this with a controller. Some of the stuff in this game is not something I would like to tackle with a controller.

I'm excited to have such crazy movement opportunities. It felt like an eternity since I've been giving such amazing sense of freedom.
 
I'm actually pretty excited to try the MP. I won't until I'm done with the SP (maybe even twice through the SP) but I think it will be pretty fun. The beta was ok in my opinion. Not amazing, but fun. I think with additional maps and options it could be a lot of fun though. Still enjoying SP though for the time being...
 
In the Advanced graphics settings there's a Nightmare texture mode; requires a GPU with at least 5GB of VRAM for it to even be enabled, though.

I didn't even know about this.
I was wondering why at 2560x1080 that 'only' 2.3GB of VRAM was being used with everything at Ultra.

Time to turn this on tonight! :cool:
 
Also, I'm curious if the negative reactions are coming from trying to play this with a controller. Some of the stuff in this game is not something I would like to tackle with a controller.

You know, I've got my desktop in pieces, so playing on the living room PC. (it's got a GTX 970, 4690K, 16GB, etc. on a 65" screen) It's an absolute blast, and I've gotten quite used to playing with a gamepad. I even find myself doing maneuvers that I would have only thought possible on a M+KB up to this point. However, I've had to pull up a TV tray-table with the M+KB to complete the Rune Challenges. I just can't seem to pull those off with the pad. Otherwise though I've been kicked back on the couch with a beer or glass of wine, and just enjoying the game like I would a platform game or something. It's been really surprising to me. It's night and day when I move up and use the M+KB for the challenges, but I find myself leaning back and grabbing the pad for the rest of the game. As soon as I've got my desktop together, I'm going to play through it again and mop the floor with it though. :D I wouldn't recommend choosing the gamepad over a mouse, but I've been surprised at just how good the pad is working for me while I'm down to just this machine.
 
You know, I've got my desktop in pieces, so playing on the living room PC. (it's got a GTX 970, 4690K, 16GB, etc. on a 65" screen) It's an absolute blast, and I've gotten quite used to playing with a gamepad. I even find myself doing maneuvers that I would have only thought possible on a M+KB up to this point. However, I've had to pull up a TV tray-table with the M+KB to complete the Rune Challenges. I just can't seem to pull those off with the pad. Otherwise though I've been kicked back on the couch with a beer or glass of wine, and just enjoying the game like I would a platform game or something. It's been really surprising to me. It's night and day when I move up and use the M+KB for the challenges, but I find myself leaning back and grabbing the pad for the rest of the game. As soon as I've got my desktop together, I'm going to play through it again and mop the floor with it though. :D I wouldn't recommend choosing the gamepad over a mouse, but I've been surprised at just how good the pad is working for me while I'm down to just this machine.

This is funny, my exact situation - I save the rune challenges for my workstation rig but am enjoying playing it on a couch tv/projector environment.

Are you having any issues with the game recognizing your controller at all? I have 2 wireless 360 controllers that are recognized by Windows (and other games), but when I load Doom sometimes I have to kill the process/reload, make sure controllers are off, turn 1 on and then turn the second one on for the first to work, or unplug both and try again... it takes me like 5 minutes to start the damned game. I saw one or two threads on Bethesda's forum but it seems like a bug that is not affecting many users at all, it gets real annoying though.
 
This is funny, my exact situation - I save the rune challenges for my workstation rig but am enjoying playing it on a couch tv/projector environment.

Are you having any issues with the game recognizing your controller at all? I have 2 wireless 360 controllers that are recognized by Windows (and other games), but when I load Doom sometimes I have to kill the process/reload, make sure controllers are off, turn 1 on and then turn the second one on for the first to work, or unplug both and try again... it takes me like 5 minutes to start the damned game. I saw one or two threads on Bethesda's forum but it seems like a bug that is not affecting many users at all, it gets real annoying though.

No problems here with the pads. I've got wireless Logitec F710s in XInput mode, which work great. I also have these little XBox One third party wired pads that also work great. (I actually use these ones more as they're very comfortable.) (A-Power Mini I think is what they're called...)
 
Also, I'm curious if the negative reactions are coming from trying to play this with a controller. Some of the stuff in this game is not something I would like to tackle with a controller.
Pretty sure the higest difficulty is going to be impossible to beat on consoles with a controller. You need the dexterity of the M+KB to jump around quickly kill enemies.
 
Pretty sure the higest difficulty is going to be impossible to beat on consoles with a controller. You need the dexterity of the M+KB to jump around quickly kill enemies.

I'm playing on Normal (Hurt Me Plenty) and I get in some serious bouts with Hell Knights. I feel like a controller must be hard to use while trying to actively dodge three of those guys at a time. Maybe, they tweaked it for consoles?
 
I'm playing on default difficulty as well right now, and it's not too bad with the pad. I would agree that any higher, and the M+KB would be highly desirable if not completely necessary. I'll be bumping it up when my desktop is back in order.
 
I'm playing on Normal (Hurt Me Plenty) and I get in some serious bouts with Hell Knights. I feel like a controller must be hard to use while trying to actively dodge three of those guys at a time. Maybe, they tweaked it for consoles?

Exactly, those Hell Knights can give you a run for your money, even with a keyboard and mouse!
They definitely gave those guys a big upgrade over their DOOM 3 counterparts. :eek:
 
I've had some pretty intense battles (especially on the gamepad). There were some spots last night with mixtures of Hell Barons, Hell Knights, Revenants, Mancubi(?) those teleport-dashy-demon-thingies, and then your standard imps all at once. It was hard but manageable. I think the two-three battles in question were the only places I've died multiple times in a row in the same scenario. I kept running in with my new toys (Gauss Gun for example) when I should have run in with the shotgun. (I learned pretty quickly.) They like to throw some peons at you first to wear you down, then start bringing in the big guys afterward. So when I'd do it right, I start with a shotgun and wipe out the little guys, then maybe move up to the assault rifle, and by the time the knights and barons were in the mix, start zapping the hell out of them :D with the Gauss Gun. Seemed to work pretty well in several cases. Also, I find that rockets are pretty effective on the Mancubi. They have them too, but they move slowly. You can run circles around them even using a gamepad.
 
You know those teleport dudes spawn other enemies? They need to go first :)

I actually didn't realize that, so thanks for the tip. However, I just naturally tend to eliminate them early on just because they annoy me so much :D I've still been wiping out the imps, and the standard beam-shooting guys first, but if I can get in a good Gauss or Assault shot on the teleporty guys I do that. (I've upgraded both of these guns with scopes and long range upgrades.) Now I will focus on killing them first period. :D
 
In one of the earlier missions I went into an alcove. There was just a continuous stream of enemies that were spawning and coming down. I realized... something is not right. And yeah, reading the enemy descriptions in the bestiary is pretty useful.
 
In one of the earlier missions I went into an alcove. There was just a continuous stream of enemies that were spawning and coming down. I realized... something is not right. And yeah, reading the enemy descriptions in the bestiary is pretty useful.

Reading the beastiary!!! Phooey!!!

(really though, that's probably a good idea)

:D
 
So Ive got a few more hours into it and Im still enjoying it but I wish it would kind of slow down. Hordes of demons coming out jumping all over the place and blasting the shit out of you thousands of times a second is a little much. The original Doom, you could even sneak up on demons if you were careful. I dont know but Im kinda getting disappointed with it. You go from one mass horde jumping all over you rapid fire to the next. The pace needs to slow down. Theres no strategy to fighting the demons when its like that. You basically just go toe to toe until one of you dies first. In the original Doom you would dodge, outmaneuver and pick apart the bigger demons like the Hell Knight and such. Maybe Im just getting too old and my reflexes are slowing down.

Graphics wise Im still impressed. I tinkered with my settings a little more and it was the Shadows setting that was having the biggest hit on performance. I set everything to Ultra and Shadows to High and Im back in the 70-120 fps range again. I guess those benchmarks showing the 290x doing so poorly were just flat out wrong. Granted Im only at 1080 but those benchies earlier were showing ~60 fps average and I dont think Ive seen anything in the 60's yet now that Ive put the settings where they are.
 
Last edited:
Played it for a couple hours, i like it. Since im a metal head the music when the zombies are out is a nice touch i enjoy. But i havent even messed with the configuration at all. It looks super nice, and i want to wait till i get my 32 inch monitor next week to fully tweak it.

Surprisingly i havent touched multiplayer yet, which, well, its an ID game, is usually about all i play, may be able to get some time in tonight though.
 
Fully upgraded gauss cannon with the perk to walk and charge it up is so OP. Nothing can stop that gun, and when you get ammo maxed out its almost unfair.
 
Fully upgraded gauss cannon with the perk to walk and charge it up is so OP. Nothing can stop that gun, and when you get ammo maxed out its almost unfair.

I only have one or two upgrades on it, but powerful or not, it's such a fun weapon! The railguns in Quake weren't much different really. I absolutely love the zap sound it has. Part electrical, part low frequency. It's very satisfying to shoot it. It's kinda like the laser on Wolfenstein in that regard.
 
So I opened up DOOM to play some multiplayer and my profile was "corrupted"/"possessed" and the game deleted it instead of say downloading a cloud save. So yeah all my progress is gone.
 
So I opened up DOOM to play some multiplayer and my profile was "corrupted"/"possessed" and the game deleted it instead of say downloading a cloud save. So yeah all my progress is gone.

Goddamn, that is terrible. I have noticed that since I play on 3 different computers, my settings travel from each one so I have to change my Gamma and advanced settings from my 770/960/970, which gets sort of annoying - although the 770 can stay around 30fps with beautiful graphics.

I've never messed with the Bethesda forum but do they have a ticket system or anything? Hope you weren't too far
 
Goddamn, that is terrible. I have noticed that since I play on 3 different computers, my settings travel from each one so I have to change my Gamma and advanced settings from my 770/960/970, which gets sort of annoying - although the 770 can stay around 30fps with beautiful graphics.

I've never messed with the Bethesda forum but do they have a ticket system or anything? Hope you weren't too far
You're not going to get any help from them, anyway. Their "solution" for corrupted saves or saves locked in "Dev Mode" is to delete the affected save.
 
How long do people think it will take for new FPS games to copy the speed of this new Doom release? I love the frantic, fast pace.
 
Well just like Doom 3 this game too is too long/not enough different and get's mad repetitive towards the end. What is wrong with id? All their games are like this. Starts strong but just drags out til it gets boring. I ended up beating the last couple hours of the game using the BFG and just spamming it with infinite ammo.
 
Well just like Doom 3 this game too is too long/not enough different and get's mad repetitive towards the end. What is wrong with id? All their games are like this. Starts strong but just drags out til it gets boring. I ended up beating the last couple hours of the game using the BFG and just spamming it with infinite ammo.

How'd you get infinite ammo? Also... Well if you choose to trivialize the content by using an OP weapon of course it's going to get boring. I mean... I haven't gotten a BFG yet in game, but in past Doom games firing that gun basically meant "clear the room with a button press" and if you keep spamming that, well... You see my point?
 
Well just like Doom 3 this game too is too long/not enough different and get's mad repetitive towards the end. What is wrong with id? All their games are like this. Starts strong but just drags out til it gets boring. I ended up beating the last couple hours of the game using the BFG and just spamming it with infinite ammo.

So, maybe you shouldn't have spent the last couple of hours of the game spamming with the BFG? Are you really surprised that an id game plays like an id game? Every game they've ever made stays pretty much the same throughout the entire game. I think Quake IV is the only one that has a major change part way through. I personally walk into a new id game expecting solid shooting, amazing graphics/sound, very light story elements. If I want deep plot twists, I look elsewhere.
 
Well just like Doom 3 this game too is too long/not enough different and get's mad repetitive towards the end. What is wrong with id? All their games are like this. Starts strong but just drags out til it gets boring. I ended up beating the last couple hours of the game using the BFG and just spamming it with infinite ammo.
Too long? I played it for quite a bit this weekend and some yesterday and i think im already near the end and ive gotten most of the secrets on every level so far minus some classic maps. I wish it was about 5-6 hours longer actually with a little more hell levels. But i am still completely happy with my $60 purchase.
 
How'd you get infinite ammo? Also... Well if you choose to trivialize the content by using an OP weapon of course it's going to get boring. I mean... I haven't gotten a BFG yet in game, but in past Doom games firing that gun basically meant "clear the room with a button press" and if you keep spamming that, well... You see my point?

there is a rune that allows no ammo use for regular weapons as long as your armor is above 100 (or 75)
bfg/chainsaw are not regular weapons
 
How'd you get infinite ammo? Also... Well if you choose to trivialize the content by using an OP weapon of course it's going to get boring. I mean... I haven't gotten a BFG yet in game, but in past Doom games firing that gun basically meant "clear the room with a button press" and if you keep spamming that, well... You see my point?

A trainer. And no, using the BFG didn't trivialize anything as I was already bored at that point and just wanted to finish the game. I hadn't cheated up to that point so it's not like I ruined the game for myself or anything...I had just had enough honestly. Did the same thing in Bioshock Infinite. After the ghost attack I had had enough of the game and just wanted to say that I at least finished it.

So, maybe you shouldn't have spent the last couple of hours of the game spamming with the BFG? Are you really surprised that an id game plays like an id game? Every game they've ever made stays pretty much the same throughout the entire game. I think Quake IV is the only one that has a major change part way through. I personally walk into a new id game expecting solid shooting, amazing graphics/sound, very light story elements. If I want deep plot twists, I look elsewhere.

Spamming or not I was already bored. If it wasn't the BFG it would have been some other OP gun like the railgun or mounted chaingun. Like I said right above, I was just bored at that point.

And don't get me wrong, it was a solid game, just not enough differentials for me. I was expecting something a bit more Wolfenstein. Awesome battles and gore but with just stronger cinematics or something to that effect.

Too long? I played it for quite a bit this weekend and some yesterday and i think im already near the end and ive gotten most of the secrets on every level so far minus some classic maps. I wish it was about 5-6 hours longer actually with a little more hell levels. But i am still completely happy with my $60 purchase.

15 hours is how long it took me. The last 5 hours or so were a drag. That's why I say too long. For most games 15 hours is fine but in one where it's literally the same thing over and over and over again...yeah...get's a tad long in the tooth.
 
I was bored
Not sure if you said it before, but what difficulty were you playing on? If it was anything less than ultra violence then that might be why. The third hardest difficulty gives me a nice balance of challenge while not being too hard. Honestly what else would you have liked them to do? You can only do so much with a doom game. Go here, kill these demons, grab that key card, exit stage. If they gave it anymore of a story and had the doomguy talk then it wouldve taken away from the game. What i like about the game is that it doesnt take itself seriously like some of these other games that come out that try to have some epic story everytime only to have it try too hard and fall on its face.
 
Any coupon codes still out there? I didn't get a chance to grab it this weekend at cdkeys (DOOM666) and that code is no longer working. Would be nice to find for under $50CAD.

Thanks
 
anyone post images of the difference when in regular texture mode or using nightmare textures please. I have a 970 so don't see that option. curious. thanks.
 
15 hours is how long it took me. The last 5 hours or so were a drag. That's why I say too long. For most games 15 hours is fine but in one where it's literally the same thing over and over and over again...yeah...get's a tad long in the tooth.
It really sounds like you need a different hobby other than video games, especially if a mad-awesome game like DOOM 2016 made you bored; seriously, what more do you want from a game?
If you don't like consistency in games, then I would suggest the Mario Party series or WarioWare, Inc. ;)
 
Any coupon codes still out there? I didn't get a chance to grab it this weekend at cdkeys (DOOM666) and that code is no longer working. Would be nice to find for under $50CAD.

Thanks

There is still a 20% code from Green Man. I don't have it on me right now though.
 
anyone post images of the difference when in regular texture mode or using nightmare textures please. I have a 970 so don't see that option. curious. thanks.

There is no specific texture quality setting for Nightmare - just Shadow Quality and Virtual Texturing Page Size.
 
It really sounds like you need a different hobby other than video games, especially if a mad-awesome game like DOOM 2016 made you bored; seriously, what more do you want from a game?
If you don't like consistency in games, then I would suggest the Mario Party series or WarioWare, Inc. ;)

Call me boring, simple-minded, etc. but I'm having an absolute blast, and have been the entire time I've been playing this. I actually don't want it to end. I'll likely hit the multiplayer a bit after I finish single player, then play through it again, but with different upgrades, maybe see if I can find more secrets earlier on than I did on this play, etc.

But then, I've played through Doom 3 at least 6-7 times, same with other Quakes and Dooms, and RAGE I've probably been through 3-4 times.

I like complex games too, but these fill a specific role in my gaming that other games just don't.
 
Back
Top