Anyone Getting Their DOOM On?

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, May 13, 2016.

1. Taco

Taco [H]ard|Gawd

970, 1080p(TV limited), Ultra. I'm not running a counter, but it's silky smooth and haven't experienced a single noticeable slow down, wish I could up it higher than Ultra.

Anyone having issues getting 5.1 audio to work?

2. Ritorix

Ritorix [H]ard|Gawd

This game is fucking fantastic and runs great. A+ for chainsawing people in half.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  3. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

Reading reports that older GCN parts (290x vs 380X) are running slower. Anyone experiencing this? I should probably just wait for the Vulkan patch.

4. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

Wow, I'm really sensitive to this stuff these days. Turns out mouse smoothing is turned on with no way to turn it off in the in-game options. You can add +m_smooth 0 to launch properties in Steam to disable it. Or create an autoexec.cfg where DoomConfig.cfg is located and add m_smooth "0" to it.

Flexion likes this.
  5. sk3tch

sk3tch [H]ard|Gawd

Waiting for my copy to be delivered by UPS from Best Buy (couldn't resist the $10 pre-order bonus plus 20% off with Gamers Club). Thanks for all of the impressions, guys! Keep 'em coming! Pleasantly surprised. The MP was fun but I did not think I'd look forward to the SP at all! You guys are making me want to hit that up first!

6. pclausen

pclausen Limp Gawd

Got the game from Amazon about 1 hour ago. It took about 20 minutes to install the portions on the disc, but now it looks like it is going to take at least 1 more hour downloading more shit from steam. What's the point of buying physical media if the bulk of the game is still downloaded online? Sitting at 46% and downloading at 11.2 MB/s.... I would have been really pissed if I didn't have a 100 mbps connection.

7. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Punch yo in yo face sucka! Punch.jpg

8. Sedriss

Sedriss Limp Gawd

Couple questions...

1.) How well do you think the game would run with 780 at 1440p?

2.) Steam shows there is co-op. That true?

3.) Anyone have a rough estimate how long the campaign is?

9. sk3tch

sk3tch [H]ard|Gawd

There are always day one patches - discs are pressed like 30 days ahead of release so there will inevitably be something...especially in a game with a pretty big MP component like Doom.

10. socK

socK 2[H]4U

I thought the multiplayer beta was boring shit

Is the SP honestly fun?

11. windianrecords

windianrecords Limp Gawd

LOL - just went on to and played multiplayer and got the IPXSETUP.EXE achievement... wonder if that one exists on PS4/XBONE?

sk3tch likes this.
  12. viscountalpha

viscountalpha [H]ard|Gawd

I'll wait for a sale if the sp is the main draw.

13. windianrecords

windianrecords Limp Gawd

Not with 5.1 over HDMI Nvidia 970 - I have the 5.1 setting in windows Sound as rear speakers, not surround, if that makes a difference... Oddly one Xbox 360 wireless controller wouldnt work, but the second one did...

14. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

1. You can check the following thread. It should have no issues with 1920x1080. Keep in mind those benchmarks were done on High settings and with TSSAA 8 TX.
      DOOM (2016) first benchmark review
    2. There is only co-op in custom maps and games created with the SnapMap feature.
    3. id said it was 10-15 hours, if I remember correctly. Going by other impressions it looks like this is about right for a first playthrough.
    I was hooked within the first 10 minutes. The number of people giving positive feedback around the forum should speak for itself. Remember that the multiplayer portion was outsourced to a company that only has experience with console FPS multiplayer.
    Positional audio and dynamic range has been great for me. Connected to Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround speakers via a Sound Blaster Zx over 3.5mm 6-channel direct.

15. Kyle_Bennett

1. I am not sure that would not be possible with a bunch of the features turned down. I was just playing here at 30fps and it still feels good.

2. Don't think so.

3. 13 hours is what has been said.

Sedriss likes this.
  16. ShuttleLuv

ShuttleLuv [H]ardness Supreme

In for Doom at cdkeys $33.5 with DOOM666 CODE.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  17. Ticker305

Ticker305 [H]ard|Gawd

Having a blast with the sp so far, defiantly worth the $33 I paid for it at cdkeys and haven't even touched the mp yet.

18. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 [H]ardness Supreme

I've just looked on Steam. The game itself is £40 (approx US $60) - not too bad - but there's an additional season pass for DLC at £30. So that's £70 / $100 in all. What DLC do they have planned?

19. Damar

Damar [H]ardness Supreme

It's not just a "patch". it's a 45GB or so download to get the full install.

Buying the physical copy gets you the key and the Steam installer pretty much. Then its sit back and wait....

I still haven't bought the game, and I'm on the fence still simply due to finances atm ($13k in medical bills), but I may grab this. It'll be a good test of my internet speeds from Steam, that's for sure. :)

20. aliaskary77

aliaskary77 Limp Gawd

LMAO Kyle. As much fun as you are having with this...and showing it...i cant see how anyone would be able to avoid playing this game!

21. DPI

DPI [H]ardForum Junkie

So where did all the "hurt durr no early review copies means only one thing, gonna suck bigtime" assholes suddenly go?

ghostwich likes this.
  22. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 [H]ardness Supreme

Well, I've bitten the bullet for the base game.

23. Zion Halcyon

Zion Halcyon [H]ard|Gawd

Anyone running this on a 390? How far can you push it?

24. Gigantopithecus

Gigantopithecus [H]ardOCP Case Reviewer

Follow up to my glowing SP review from earlier: MP is also GREAT. The pacing is perfect for my tastes, and I like the maps a lot. The power-ups actually make a difference, and so do the loadouts. I haven't enjoyed a MP FPS this much in ages. Also, damn, I am really, really bad at MP. So far the only weapon I can hold my own with is the super shotgun. Hopefully I get better with the other gear...

25. Kyle_Bennett

Bastard knocked me down, ripped my arm off, then beat me to death with it. Sweet.
    bastard.jpg

26. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

Hehehe! I knew they'd quietly disappear, slink off, and magically have it appear in their Steam library with this game. :p

27. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

I haven't had that happen to me yet, but I have noticed that the demons attempt some things that I've never seen before. Very cool stuff!

28. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

pretty sure this should be the official review :)

29. MrSteel74

MrSteel74 [H]ard|Gawd

You guys suck I was going to try and hold off buying this one..... I will be getting it after work.

N4CR likes this.
  30. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

Probably a good idea. :D

31. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

I'm surprised that demon didn't refer to you as a 'butt muncher' before he landed the final blow on you.

And, yeah, this thread convinced me to purchase the game. Well, the positive feedback and the low price at cdkeys ($44 CAD) convinced me to buy it.

N4CR and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  32. Taco

Taco [H]ard|Gawd

Due to some weakness in my home theater setup, I can't do HDMI audio. I have optical through a Sound Blaster Omni, works elsewhere, doesn't seem to be for Doom though. Oh well, will keep an eye on it.

33. Taco

Taco [H]ard|Gawd

I suspect the game isn't going to come close to 13 hours, which maybe they were guarding against. But this game has that old school playability. Beat it twice already? Still fun to jump in and fuck shit up.

34. pothb

pothb [H]ardness Supreme

I don't think anyone actually said it will suck big time. But like I said, it does make you suspect and not a good precedence to set.

35. sk3tch

sk3tch [H]ard|Gawd

Holy shit - I stand corrected (just got my physical copy)...it is just a Steam-enter-your-key wizard. What a joke. Should have just gone full EA and had it be a box with a key code in it. Wasting my time dragging out my external USB3 BR drive for nothing ha.

EDIT: at least it starts by installing some stuff from the disc. Can't be more than 7-8GB considering it is just DVD...but at least it's something heh.

36. Damar

Damar [H]ardness Supreme

Aye its kinda nuts. If you don't have decent broadband (esp with a high or no cap), you're SOL.

I've come to expect that pretty much any physical copy I buy is going to be a Steam installer and key code.

Post back once you get some playtime in. Would love to see more opinions on the game still. :)

37. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

Well, I think it's silly they sell a physical game period. (my opinion, and I know there are some bandwidth challenged people out there) However, when you've got a game that's 50GB, exactly how should they distribute that on physical media? A write-protected SD card or USB stick might be one way. Bluray drives aren't super common in PCs I don't think. I know they're available, but I don't know anyone that uses one. I had one for a bit, but decided that I would not use optical media in my main PCs anymore.

I get where you're coming from, but this is going to become more and more common. I only buy games from Steam and GoG at this point. (or keys from reputable key shops)

The thing that kinda frightens me isn't digital only purchasing. It's streaming games as a service... That's the one I'll fight to the end. :D

38. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

Got the game from cdkeys and the multiplayer doesn't work at all. I join the lobby and the game just crashes... Single player works fine.

39. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm celebrating the launch of Doom (2016) by playing Doom 3 with the Redux mod. :pompous:

40. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

thanks john carmack... sure, he left early on in the development, but it's still his engine and he also helped re-direct and "refocus" the design team after their more -OD-style Doom 4 attempt.

hope he's proud of the game despite his focus now being on VR - and apparently wanting to port old mario games.... smh, let it go man, nintendo doesn't like you especially after that mario 3 PC pitch :p