Anyone Getting Their DOOM On?

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, May 13, 2016.

1. ghostwich

ghostwich [H]ard|Gawd

Sitting at my desk is awful, I just wanna go home and FIGHT HELL.

Flexion, schlitzbull and Armenius like this.
  2. Lord_Exodia

Lord_Exodia [H]ardness Supreme

Game running great, story and mechanics seem to be getting off to a very good start. Many graphic options, the game looks beautiful. Excited to see where this goes.

Armenius likes this.
  3. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Limp Gawd

SGTGimpy, Flexion, Azrak and 3 others like this.
  4. Sorcerer_Tim

Sorcerer_Tim [H]Lite

Thank you for posting this. I was on the fence about it due to concerns about it running at 3440X1440, let alone well. Can't wait to get home and start playing it.

5. Azrak

Azrak Limp Gawd

Anybody playing on a GTX 690 @ 1600p (or any other resolution on a 690)? Curious how it does before I buy it.

6. pclausen

pclausen Limp Gawd

So does the 365.19 - WHQL driver improve SLI performance? Kyle was getting about a 33% boost with the 365.10 driver.

7. Yakk

Yakk [H]ardness Supreme

Even with the almost worthless Canadian Dollar that's silly pricing. Look at GMG and other sites selling between +/- $35 to 45US = $45 to $60CDN.

8. aliaskary77

aliaskary77 Limp Gawd

thanks to post 43, (PinchedNerve), its down to about CDN$42. Will look into that site this weekend. $79.99 was on steam.

PinchedNerve likes this.
  9. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Limp Gawd

CDkeys, looked to be the cheapest I could find.

10. Riccochet

Riccochet Necrodancer

Sounds like a winner. I'll be picking up this game for sure.

11. windianrecords

windianrecords Limp Gawd

I've only got a few hours of work and I work from home today, so tempted to open it on my second monitor but want the full experience...

I had never wanted to play 'at midnight', but timed my download so it'd be ready by then. Was so sleepy and went to hit "PLAY" then Steam reminded me it had to decompress the 60GB file and it may take awhile, so I didn't even get to play...

12. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise Gawd

They nailed the tight controls, smooth feel, and DOOM style run n gun (doom 1 and 2, 3 was of course an altogether different beast).

AAAAAND - everyone else doing motion blur, please copy this. It actually improves the experience rather than makes it look like blurry shit. IMO. I suspect that's part of why it looks so fluid.

13. ThatsAgood1jay

ThatsAgood1jay Gawd

If wolfenstein is any indicator, this game will be great. I can't wait to pick it up!

14. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

I was only able to play about 45 minutes this morning, but I'm blown away so far. The game looks amazing and runs great, though enemy textures leave a little to be desired. With AA cranked and all settings at Ultra I'm averaging 120 FPS at 2560x1440. Since it's running so well I'm going to play around with resolution scaling in-game or DSR tonight. The game itself is extremely fun. I can't wait to get to more populated areas. I suggest not being a pussy and playing on Ultra Violence or Nightmare from the get-go.

I highly recommend playing around with the gamma setting. On my monitor the default 1.0 setting is way too bright. I turned it down to 0.5 and it makes the lighting way more dynamic. In the beginning when you're coming off the altar it makes the candlelight actually do something. The moment was a lot more tense, too, as I couldn't make out the enemies to see what they were. But coming to the first arena when the lights come on it is bright enough for the situation of a cold, metallic interior. Going out to the surface offers the same kind of effect where it's slightly warmer, but it still looks gloomy with everything tinged red.

My only complaint is that mouse input feels a little weird... Probably due to acceleration we can't disable. Maybe they can add RAW input with a patch, or there is a config setting hidden that we can set.
    Motion blur is really well done in this game. Probably going to get hate for this, but I think chromatic aberration is actually looking good, too. It doesn't make distant objects blurry but it adds to the effect of looking through the glass of a helmet. This is definitely not Dying Light-style chromatic aberration.

15. magoo

magoo [H]ardForum Junkie

Got 20% off GMG, got me some DooM goodness.
    So far......it's DooM bitches, what more could you ask for!!!!!

16. amdgamer

amdgamer [H]ardness Supreme

Good question. I am getting ready to pick this up for my Xbox so has anyone tried the console version yet? I cannot wait to try it later as I have the day off once I catch up on all the errands for the week.

17. ghostwich

ghostwich [H]ard|Gawd

This feels a million times better than Wolfenstein.

Armenius likes this.
  18. HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo

Downloading now, can't wait.

19. IceDigger

IceDigger [H]ardForum Junkie

Wonder how it will run on my 12 core (24 thread) Xeon workstation?

20. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Make sure to check out the performance overlay that is available in settings. Check out how well the game is threaded. This is 4K with just about everything turned on. I think Motion Blur is at low and again, as fluid as it can get.

upload_2016-5-13_9-52-11.png

21. schizrade

schizrade [H]ardness Supreme

Haven't touched my PC in a week... gonna snag this and fire it up tonight.

22. schizrade

schizrade [H]ardness Supreme

Wow that is impressive. Most of the games I have seen that "multi-thread" just seem to round robin the cores.

23. IceDigger

Too bad my workstation (2x x5670 cpus) only has an NVidia NVS 295 video card :(

Someone hook a brother up....

24. BloodyIron

BloodyIron [H]ard|Gawd

Considering the game runs so well in OpenGL and Vulcan, I'm holding out for a "native" Linux version.

Oh, and wine testing on Linux shows no hard work to get it running. So, waiting for them to stop sitting on their hands.

25. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

This must be the reason the game is running so well. Are you guys planning or already working on doing a detailed analysis of this one?

26. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

I really had my reservations on this game. Wasn't too sure if it was going to be any good or not based on the videos they were showing. The holding off on reviews turned me off a bit, too.

But, now after reading some peoples experiences, I think I may grab it. CDKeys at $33 seems like a steal. :)

27. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Chain Gun is pretty OP in the Game :sneaky: Just went 19-8 with one.

28. GoodBoy

GoodBoy Gawd

I am liking the gameplay so far, but only got past the first level in the campaign,

I use a 980ti, and a 3440x1440, and when I went into video settings and turned on 21:9 and applied it, then screen started flickering, a pretty heavy flicker. could still see what was behind the mess, the mouse was moving slow, but I put it back in 16:9, was unchanged. Exit game, get back in, working normally again. Start to change aspect and resolution, heavy flicker came back. Went ahead and saved the settings as 21:9 3440x1440, it flickered, exited game, got back in, working ok now.

But something off going on with changing resolutions. Running 365.10, and I am still on my x58/i7-920 @ 3.6ghz.

29. crispyb

crispyb Magical Crispyness

I just bit. Couldn't resist it at $33.60. Thanks Pinchednerve!

30. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Yes, but we are working on something else right now.

Seems to be an ultra-widescreen bug.

31. Lifelite

Lifelite [H]ard|Gawd

Alright, fuck it, I'm taking a half day and going home to play this.

32. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

ok on a serious note... I can't remember peoples' names at work but I can remember: idkfa from 5th grade about 23 years ago.

33. IceDigger

Hey kyle, got any cheap graphics cards you want to sell that you don't use?

34. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

:D <------ Me for every second of the hour I got to play last night. The rest of the weekend shall be the same. Game is incredible.

ghostwich and Red Falcon like this.
  35. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

There are some issues with the game but overall this seems like a Doom, and more importantly a PC game done right.

36. windianrecords

windianrecords Limp Gawd

This is awesome!!! Playing on a 100" projector with surround sound, glad I wasn't able to play this last night as it would've not been nearly as menacing at super low volumes... Graphics look GREAT, playing on a 970 and didn't even change any of the defaults other than FOV, will mess with that later I guess. Not disappointed at all yet.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  37. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

Agreed!

I'm on a 970 also. I tried the defaults, and it was flying along smooth as silk. So I cranked a bunch of options up. Still silky. So I did it again. I've got everything at high or ultra now, except a few things that I lowered for personal taste. (motion blur is low, and a few things like that) Playing on a 65" TV right now. I'm in the process of rebuilding my desktop, so I'm playing in the living room. I just found out that I'm better with a gamepad than I thought. :D I still can't wait to be back on the Mouse and Keyboard though. I think I can get by in SP just fine though for now. MP will have to wait for proper controls.

38. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Finally got a Demon Rune it's looks cooler than it really is everything is Greyed out it's like Power Armor in Fallout.

39. HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo

Running great at 1440p with my 390X. Awesome game.

40. maxius

maxius 2[H]4U

and this pushed me off the fence thanks kyle