Anyone Getting Their DOOM On?

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, May 13, 2016.

1. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

Well, it's still a very good game! Nice monocle!

Krenum likes this.
  2. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

I'm pretty confident in saying that this is the best looking game that I've played. (that honor kind of scales with time of course, but this is a really nice looking game/engine)

Now if the clock would move just a bit more quickly, so I can go home and play this some more.

Flexion likes this.
  3. Flexion

Flexion [H]ard|Gawd

Glad another [H]'er shared that here. I was about to make a post about it. Helps a lot with shotgunning fast moving enemies, etc. ;)

4. carnageX

carnageX Limp Gawd

I'll have to check if I have the same issue when I get home; I also got my copy from CDKeys.

5. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

I played some last night and was very relieved to see how well my single overclocked 980ti handled the game at 4k. I was getting in the 50s fps mostly with little dips to the high 40s.. so I think I will turn up some settings tonight. I think I have some performance headroom. It runs silky smooth even in the high 40s with no visible tearing. The game itself is a blast. Can't wait to get home and play more!

I am on the 360.10 driver... is it worth bumping to the .19 version?

6. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

I know!!! Who invented this work shit?!?!?!

Armenius, Flexion and revenant like this.
  7. Marcdaddy

Marcdaddy 2[H]4U

OK whio can help me, 2 things. How and the hell can I get 21:9 support to work???? Also its to DARK there are no ingame Brightness settings after you start the game?? Am I missing something?

8. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise Gawd

There's a gamma slider right in the graphics menus. If it isn't there, I'll wager you're playing in a mode other than fullscreen (i.e. windowed or "fullscreen windowed"). Due to how most things implement gamma shifts, it only works in exclusive mode.

9. Marcdaddy

Marcdaddy 2[H]4U

I found it!!! Now I need to figure out how to make this damn game brighter!!

10. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

You think it's too dark? Interesting. I have the same monitor and I had the opposite problem. Do you use ULMB? That could be the reason. I use G-Sync.

11. Marcdaddy

Marcdaddy 2[H]4U

I think I screwed up the brightness settings in the beginning of the game, I didn't realize that it will never let you change it???? That's not cool, am I overlooking a setting again?

12. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

I'm almost positive it's in either the display or advanced menu. Would have to verify though.

13. Armenius

It's under Video in the options. Gamma is the one you want to change. You just don't get the test image like you did at the very start.

14. Armenius

Just FYI for those on SLI: the 365.19 driver sets SLI to single GPU. If you were getting SLI scaling on a previous driver you won't be now unless you change the setting in the control panel or apply a bit with NVIDIA inspector.

15. sk3tch

sk3tch [H]ard|Gawd

Other games that I have bought recently (I buy physical - mostly because there are more store sales and incentives than digital which is almost always MSRP) have been on 4-6 DVDs. It's not that hard to put 50GB in 6-7 DVDs.

In my case Best Buy was 20% off (Gamers Club) and they gave a $10 gift card with pre-order. Still more expensive than sites like CDKeys - but that is a gray area purchase. CDKeys may be legitimate but they may not (could be keys from another region, etc.). Even then - it is a gray area and not a debate I want to start. Just my personal preference from a dev support perspective. :)

16. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

I got 25% off at Green Man, who in my opinion are as legitimate as any B&M retail store for keys. There are other key shops that I wouldn't touch though, so I hear you there. It's either Steam itself, Green Man, or GoG for me. I don't buy games anywhere else for PC. Wasn't saying you were silly for buying that way. Whatever works. More that I think it's silly for companies to release that size on optical media.

Edit: I guess I should amend that by saying that I will buy Mirror's Edge Catalyst on Origin, but otherwise I don't use Origin either. :p

17. sk3tch

sk3tch [H]ard|Gawd

Oh yeah - GMG, GoG, etc. are on my "legit" list. I just try to steer clear from sites that may or may not have keys from other regions (I.E. Russia). I have done all of that rigamarole and sometimes it causes headaches (i.e. if you want to buy DLC later on).

18. x3sphere

x3sphere 2[H]4U

This game is amazing. Being surrounded by mobs of enemies and the frantic strafing feels right at home. I wasn't expecting it to be this good after playing some of id's more recent output (Rage), so pleasantly surprised!

Visually it looks great and performance is great as well. I'm getting 70-80 FPS average at 3440x1440 on a 980 Ti.

19. Armenius

Did you have to do anything to get 21:9 working? Some people have said that trying a 21:9 resolution they would get a flashing screen. If you did do anything it would be great if you could share.

20. x3sphere

x3sphere 2[H]4U

Nah, 21:9 worked without any tweaking for me. Just changed the aspect ratio using the in-game settings and was good to go.

21. blackacidevil

blackacidevil Gawd

$80 CDN on Steam. No thanks, I'll wait til its at least half that price.

22. rezerekted

rezerekted 2[H]4U

Previews on youtube I saw said about 10 -11 hours.

23. rezerekted

rezerekted 2[H]4U

It's $79.99 at London Drugs too. I guess they think that is the new price for AAA titles in Canada now. Not in my lifetime, I will never pay that price for a 10 hour game. Just to spite them I will now wait for an 80% off Steam sale.

24. Red Falcon

Red Falcon [H]ardForum Junkie

The initial price was worth it for this game.
    This isn't Aliens: Colonial Marines; DOOM is a damn good game, and one that has been sorely missed, and needed, for years.

This is one of the few games out there that I can say is absolutely worth the launch price. :cool:

Flexion, revenant and Youn like this.
  25. SvenBent

SvenBent [H]ard|Gawd

Sorry to be "Mr. negative" but that overlay only proff a 3+ threads. threads get distributed in a modified round robin by windows process scheduler ( if the process does not do any affinity control)
    Since it showbetween 200% to 300% usage of a core. We only know there must be at least 3 threads since one thread can only use up to a total of 100% per core ( But it can be dived around since the overlays measurements is in average over time)
    Having a quad core CPU and seeing 25% per core being used is easily just one thread just being tossed around and spending 25% of its time on each core

In this case where it looks to be a few threaded it might be a benefit for Kyle to disable hyper threading to avoid CPU heavy threaded going to the same physical core. this will however only really do anything if the game is CPU limited which it does not appear to do. but disabling HT when you have few (More than one but around physical cores or less) heavy threads going can give up to a 25% boost in CPU performance.

sk3tch likes this.
  26. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

Agree completely!!! If I hadn't gotten the handy GMG code I would have still paid $60. I don't feel too bad though, I have multiple physical, digital, and keys for every id game on the PC.

Red Falcon likes this.
  27. grambo

grambo [H]ard|Gawd

I thought the same thing, but you can get it for $46.66CAD at cd-keys all in. I generally prefer to buy from Steam directly, but I have used cd-keys in the past without issue. Doom is supposedly region free key as well so no weirdness with Russian crap. Might roll the dice on it for this game! I liked the beta.

28. grambo

grambo [H]ard|Gawd

What do you mean by not being able to run higher than ultra? Is it due to 970 not having enough VRAM? Benchmarks look good for the card, I run 1920x1200 so I should be ok.

29. x3sphere

x3sphere 2[H]4U

I don't see any setting higher than Ultra. I remember them talking about a 'Nightmare' setting but I don't see it, maybe it will be added in via a patch or something?

30. Retronym

Retronym Pick your own.....you deserve it.

1080p 60hz oled and ps4 checking in.

On my fucking god. It's glorious.

Flexion likes this.
  31. HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo

I just wish you could launch it in multiplayer rather than going into the main game then relaunching.

32. ShuttleLuv

ShuttleLuv [H]ardness Supreme

Do the 19 they are for Doom.

33. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

ok cool.. I meant 365.10 but you knew that. I'll bump the driver soon and get back to it!

34. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Limp Gawd

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  35. Taco

Taco [H]ard|Gawd

I'm gaming on a 1080p TV. VRAM prevents nightmare settings. I would expect you can run it higher than 1080p on ultra just fine. I don't think it's ever dropped below 60 a single time for me.

36. theelviscerator

theelviscerator Gawd

I am enjoying this at 4k ULTRA settings didn't really change from the medium ones, and yes they "took"... The good old days are back!

DOOMx64 2016-05-13 09-27-56-55.png

37. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

Just bought it and starting download. I've gotta be in bed in like 30 minutes for work in the morning so won't get to play it til tomorrow after 8 when I get home. Can't wait though. First day 1 buy I've done in a while but judging by all the comments here, I won't be disappointed. Ugh, wish this would hurry up. Would love to play a few minutes before I crash for the night.

38. DF-1

DF-1 [H]ard|Gawd

hmm cdkeys seems to be $35.46 w/ code and not $32 not sure what im doing wrong

eh whatever, went ahead and bought it, first purchase from cdkeys, got codes instantly, good experience.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  39. Redmud

Redmud n00bie

My fps seems to be locked at 60. How do I unlock?

40. sk3tch

sk3tch [H]ard|Gawd

Game is super, super fun. Wow. Haven't played a game like this in so long. Just clicks right away...feels "right" on PC it's not bastardized.

5960X / TITAN X SLI manages over 100 FPS maxed out at 1440p.

Afterburner and the in-game stats viewable below:

[​IMG]
    [click to enlarge]