• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Waiting for Haswell?

hmm, well I can address as to why I wanna upgrade I guess(not necessarily discuss the improved benefits of the new socket/chipset). Im still on 775 with a Q6600 oc'ed to 3.6. Now as new games/tech coming down the pipe, im just now starting to be "long in the tooth" with this platform. But not in the cpu department, actually in the GPU department. At the same time, there is no sense in investing more money into a dead socket platform. Granted the cpu does everything just fine and then some, its one investment that really HAS paid off for so long now. But its time to move forward, finally get native USB 3, sata 6, newer cpu instruction sets, etc etc. I think now is the time for the move, as the jump will be enough to notice going to a 4770K. From what im reading though, the next huge jump in GPU performance wont be until Maxwell(GTX 800 series), so either continue to use the GTX460 SOC(which is a damn fine card) or buy an intermediate card to get by with until purchasing from the 800 series. I think that is where our biggest leap is going to come from here in the next 2 years personally.

gonna wait for the 800, been having this dilemma
 
Perhaps not, but until official pricing (and availability) is known, I doubt MC is going to go out on a limb and start offering bundles prematurely.

I'm sure retail stores already know the prices of CPUs and motherboards.
 
I'm sure retail stores already know the prices of CPUs and motherboards.

Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't really matter since there's an NDA and the product itself hasn't been released yet. Any one of those would mean no MC deal this early.
 
the sideways ATX connector on the EVGA board is sweet.

Yep, always loved that about the z77 ftw. However the bios was horrid so gigabyte will be getting my money. If evga gets really good real world reviews after a few months i may pick one up.
 
Just seen i5 overclocks and temperatures:
4.2 GHz 60C
4.3 GHz 70C
4.4 GHz 82C
4.5 GHz 94C

Water cooling.
 
Well we need more info from trusted reviewers but not looking too good oc wise. :\
 
If you're waiting for Haswell;It's tomorrow I believe ;)
or is it the 2nd? pretty sure tomorrow :)
OCN will be streaming a release party from UK with Haswell boards n chips.
anddd..I'm jelly
Most likely there will be stuff posted by a very reliable source ;)
 
Well we need more info from trusted reviewers but not looking too good oc wise. :\

That bites. It's taking a little bit of excitement out of me. I'm not a watercooler and never will be, just not [H] enough I guess. If this thing runs super hot on air I'll just go with a 3770K and be done with it.

I will wait and see though, like you said, need some trusted reviews.
 
Actually I'm bit worried about reviewers getting cherry picked chips. Thus reviewers would be creaming about wonderful stuff, and normal user would get this.
 
Buying on release day is always a little more risky and usually a little more expensive. Wait for things to settle, see which mobo's are having some issues and which are fully sorted.
 
I doubt it, I've never seen them even come close to MC prices

it is a 3 hour round trip for me to MC. so if it is close, ill buy TD.

it is going to be hard to pick a MB without seeing the reviews for them all.
 
Indeed it will be, I'm not a huge fan of TD but they still don't charge tax for CA so I will continue buying items from there until they do. Right now I'm between the gigabyte z87 x OC, or the asus ROG series. I'm hoping that intel adds haswell for the winter deals
 
At the IB launch, MC was actually shipping the combos. I doubt TD is going to touch them, but if you're buying for full price anyway, $20 off or so won't hurt.
 
Guru3d is teasing 70 pages of content for a "release" tomorrow so I'm guessing that's when the NDA is lifted.
 
People getting excited over a hot chip like Haswell amuses me. Wasn't Ivy disappointing enough?
 
kyle says he is upgrading from his 2600k. i think he knows what this cpu is all about.

He didn't say WHY he's upgrading, so it's a totally useless statement. Upgrading because you feel like upgrading is one thing, but if that's his reason here, there's no reason for you guys to care about that. I for one think it would have been more useful if he hadn't said that. How long are you guys going to pretend 2013 is actually 2003 (when computers were relatively slow and upgrades were always obvious in performance)? Few of us need an upgrade, and doing so would be a waste of money. Decide whether your computer is holding you back. Don't copy some random website owner's upgrading habits without reason. If your computer isn't slowing you down, then upgrading is a waste of money, period.
 
Last edited:
He didn't say WHY he's upgrading, so it's a totally useless statement. Upgrading because you feel like upgrading is one thing, but if that's his reason here, there's no reason for you guys to care about that. I for one think it would have been more useful if he hadn't said that. How long are you guys going to pretend 2013 is actually 2003? Few of us need an upgrade, and doing so would be a waste of money. Decide whether your computer is holding you back. Don't copy some random website owner's upgrading habits without reason. If your computer isn't slowing you down, then upgrading is a waste of money, period.

I think the point is that in the context of the conversation, Kyle was implying it was worth upgrading to.

We'll see tomorrow at any rate
 
Either way I'm sure it will be worth upgrading from my current system :)

I just hope the mobo reviews come out before the boards become available so I can make an informed decision the split second they show up ;)
 
It looks like a lot of the reviewers have the boards already so I'm hoping we will see reviews as soon as the NDA is lifted.
 
My impression based on early leaked reviews: massive problems with heat again at anything over 4.5... delidding will probably be necessary. Bummer.

I was thinking about upgrading and moving my Sandy chip to my work PC, no chance if the above is the case
 
My impression based on early leaked reviews: massive problems with heat again at anything over 4.5... delidding will probably be necessary. Bummer.

I was thinking about upgrading and moving my Sandy chip to my work PC, no chance if the above is the case

Looks like it. Then again, there's a small chance that those people were using stock coolers when testing oc's.
 
Back
Top