Waiting for Haswell?

The new Razer Blade is already stating that it will have the new Haswell chips in them.

I personally will be skipping Haswell. I am locked into ivy right now on two machines and I think they handle everything I can throw at them well.

yeah, but i need a new laptop anyway so i figure why not? not going to be overclocking or anything. I looked hard at that blade, but in the end the graphics card and the screen kinda make me go no, not for 1800.

Hmn...

I might get Haswell just because my CPU is starting to age, but I was really hoping for cooler running CPU, not hotter =.=

Is a razor blade included with it? So you can delid the CPU.

/rimshot

That was my concern when I first saw it. I have an Lenovo Y500, and that runs warm after a good session of editing or gaming. I can only imagine how hot that thing will be.

Upgrading my i7 930 @ 4.1ghz (maxing out my CPU in most games I play, especially flight sims, doesn't seem to make much sense to upgrade my 680's to 780's instead).

Do these seem like a good match to OC the 4770K?

-ASUS Maximus VI Hero
-Corsair Vengeance (or dominator platinums if I splurge) 8GB * 2 (DDR3-2400)
-Swiftech H220 (too low on disposable cash at the moment to upgrade my custom loop).

So what would be the recommendation on a new build? My computer (Athlon 64 3400+) died a year ago and I haven't gotten around to upgrade. I was going to go with an Ivybridge 3570k but figured I'd wait for Haswell. Would I be better off getting a 3570k or going with the Haswell equivalent?

So what would be the recommendation on a new build? My computer (Athlon 64 3400+) died a year ago and I haven't gotten around to upgrade. I was going to go with an Ivybridge 3570k but figured I'd wait for Haswell. Would I be better off getting a 3570k or going with the Haswell equivalent?
A64 3400? good grief. even a $450 off the shelf pc from Wal Mart would be like a super computer compared to that. might as well go Haswell at this point though.

Haswell should be a terrific upgrade for you. If you are currently using a sandy/ivy bridge cpu, then it isn't much of an upgrade.
A64 3400? good grief. even a $450 off the shelf pc from Wal Mart would be like a super computer compared to that. might as well go Haswell at this point though.

lol.. I agree.

seeing how the haswell reviews have been underwhelming so far, you might be better off with buying an ivy bridge cpu and saving some $$

at least that is what I am considering if the i5 reviews are still mediocre

seeing how the haswell reviews have been underwhelming so far, you might be better off with buying an ivy bridge cpu and saving some $$

at least that is what I am considering if the i5 reviews are still mediocre

Underwhelming because people either (a) expected an insane overclocker along the likes of the 300a or 2.4C (with onboard vr, igp, avx2, fma3 etc just wasn't likely) or (b) expected a HUGE (think more than 20%) jump in performance over ivy or both. It honestly is right in line with what I've been expecting for months, and overclocking might be alittle better when individuals start playing with it and some better cooling? Who knows. But it's a good chip. Remember this is only the second iteration of the trigate 3d transistors as well....

Well said.

Cant see myself saving just ~$150 to not have the latest tech when its upgrade time, especially if you plan on keeping the system for a few years and don't upgrade at every cycle.

Maybe if you were building a computer for playing console ports it wouldn't matter.

there was no need to wait for anything after all said and done.

if you already have the i7 920 or i7 2700 then you should just wait for the new architecture.

the main thing was to upgrade from the 775 platform.

Screw that! I'm tired of my i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz, althought it is a tank and has been ticking along reliably and folding for 4 years.

there was no need to wait for anything after all said and done.

if you already have the i7 920 or i7 2700 then you should just wait for the new architecture.

the main thing was to upgrade from the 775 platform.

Picking the 920 over the 9450 was probably the best computer decision I've ever made.

In laptops its not overclocked though and lower clocks.

This is true. But even at 2.6 Ivy I5 in my lenovo runs near 50C. Even with the lower clock it still might generate a good amount of heat with temps we have already been seeing.

Was scouring the net for more information on Haswell heat issues.

Someone in OCN pointed out, from the Asus guide
Additionally, Haswell has a more specialized point of consideration for synthetic stress tests. When using an adaptive VID,

voltage levels will be automatically increased by the iVR when AVX instructions are detected from an application. An example is noted below:

A defined voltage of 1.245/1.250 would produce a CPU voltage of 1.245 or 1.250 under a normal realworld multi-thread application under load.

Using the same defined voltage of 1.245/1.250 but running a synthetic stress test like Prime 95 with AVX, produces a CPU load voltage of 1.370.

This increase must be considered as it could induce thermal throttle and overwhelm the cooling capabilities of the thermal solution being used.

Looks like it's relevant to the heat issue. A 'new' way of OCing to get around this perhaps?

Last edited:
I'm determined to upgrade from my 920. Even if I never overclock, is there any reason not to go haswell if I'm upgrading today? (besides a few bucks)

for those into overclocking, Haswell is a joke. for those who will keep their cpu's stock, it is good

Was scouring the net for more information on Haswell heat issues.

Someone in OCN pointed out, from the Asus guide

Looks like it's relevant to the heat issue. A 'new' way of OCing to get around this perhaps?

Kyle tried it and got the green light from the software that everything was stable. When he tried to render a movie I believe the PC blue screened.

Well, I hope everyone buys them and then one person sells me a cheap 3770k to replace my 3570k.

In fact, 6GHz will be the minium OC for most OC'er Users, and not only with a 80x multiplier, i think the main diference as i stated several times on this same topic comes with the 3 bases of blck, 100mhz stock, 125mhz ans 167mhz. That only affect the processor and not the pci and dmi lines, free upgrade without impact the voltage, that as the image posted at 2.29VID the last news about haswell said it will perform optimum even at 2.3v stable.. So will be mucho easier to reach 6-8ghz without touch the max multiplier and voltages...

Well you are wrong, using the 167mhz blck base profile, does not need any voltage bump, does not even touch the pcie lines, or dmi lines, all keep at 100mhz while processor blck remain at 167 (without the 5-7% extra margin as sandy/ivy was possible to jump in the blck) so if you have 167mhz with the stock 35 multiplier 167mhzx35=5.8ghz instant jump.. WITHOUT do anything more than increase the blck base.. (That mean in a lower increase on the heat... Cuz the chip are under stock multiplier and voltages... Most people will like to use the 167mhz blck base with a 40 multiplier for a 6.6ghz or increase the blck to 170mhz and same 40 multiplier to get 6.8ghz. Its not anything insane... That test was just stated by intel.. Nothing crazy... They said that even using 125mhz blck base allow for even higher stability on increased voltage for enthusiast ppl..
simpsons_nelson_haha3.jpg

In fact, 6GHz will be the minium OC for most OC'er Users, and not only with a 80x multiplier, i think the main diference as i stated several times on this same topic comes with the 3 bases of blck, 100mhz stock, 125mhz ans 167mhz. That only affect the processor and not the pci and dmi lines, free upgrade without impact the voltage, that as the image posted at 2.29VID the last news about haswell said it will perform optimum even at 2.3v stable.. So will be mucho easier to reach 6-8ghz without touch the max multiplier and voltages...

Your thoughts now that oc minimums are closer to 4.5 than 6? :)

I was waiting on Haswell until I saw the early reviews about it running really hot last week, those in combination with some sales on a 3930k pushed me to just go for the 3930k. I just finished building it up yesterday and as I sit here on my 5ghz 6 core machine (3930k, x79 sabertooth, h220 watercooled, Vapor-X 7970ghz, 4k seiki monitor, yes, its prime95 stable with all 4 cores at 5ghz) I have no regrets about not waiting for Haswell. Still installing NLE video software but I have been VERY pleased with the tests I have done on It so far. Also, this is my first water cooled system and wow they are really quiet (I replaced the h220 stock fans with nf12s).

I just bought an H80 instead of Haswell and boosted my cpu voltage through the roof. Prime Stable 4ghz i7 860 with HT is good enough for gaming and everything else I do.

Would have enjoyed a new Mobo, but this will have to do....

I'm so lost now considering in my eyes haswell flopped big time. For the mobile market and stock clocks it's fine. But considering I always OC it just kills it for me. Going to wait and see what the results are with delidding before I make the plunge.

I ordered a 3930k through the retail edge program that I was planning to sell locally...But I might actually just use it now considering how hot the haswell chips run. I mean seriously, a new quad core actually running hotter compared to the previous gen 6 core?...*facepalm*

Yea...I'm lost now...I have a i7 920 D0 atm @ 4ghz..I don't know what to do. Ivybridge-e looks interesting. If I build a 3930k now, would be nice to drop an ivybridge-e chip into it...But knowing intel, they will probably release a new chipset, so might as well wait and pick up a new mobo instead of the existing 2011 socket boards.

Damn you intel...For giving us a giant turd of an overclocker...If delidding turns out to be a gem for haswell, I will be picking one up. If not...Bah..>_<

I've been doing it on my SB i5 and IB i7 since I owned them. I can't imagine why this would be any different on Haswell. I call BS on that claim.

That said, it would be a very weak reason to not go Haswell.

This is something Intel has allowed going back to LGA775 - and both G3x and G4x; it previously was not the case. (Mom has G31, while I currently have G41 - she doesn't have discrete graphics, while I do. The only reason neither of us do the two-GPU tango is because we each have but a single monitor - not lack of support.)

Back