Your Fallout 3 Impressions

Also, my weapons are always breaking and the only way I can repair them is by talking to certain people who can repair them but I can never repair any of the weapons myself and my repair skill is like 50 now. I see the repair option on my Pipboy but its still grayed out is my repair skill still not high enough?

I agree, repairing is a bit counter-intuitive. If you want to fix an item, you have to find a second item of the same type, then choose the repair option from the Pip-Boy item menu. Then you can use up your extra guns or armour to fix your existing ones. It kind of makes sense -- you strip unneeded items for parts, and use them to fix the items you want to keep.

That's what I love about this game. If you don't have the time to invest, I suggest you move on and come back when you can experience it in full.

That'll be never. Life and all that ;) Too many places to go, too many things to do (I only have a night or two a week to play games), too many people to see. I get one shot at a game and that's about it, and it better have some directive from the get-go.

There's a *lot* more out of megaton. I've got a lot of playtime now and I'm still working out of there.

Moria for example has a whole series of quests for a book she's writing about survival in the wastelands. They get you out discovering a lot of places (and there's some seriously nice rewards...), and a lot of the places you discover will have thier own quest(s).

As for everything being closed... hint, shops aren't open at night. You might try back during the day....

Also, some quests require you to have a level of skill in something to even know it's an option. Try having 25 medicine skill (I think) when you talk to the doc in megaton for example (even if it is a really lame quest)

Moira's door was locked with a 100 lockpick skill required. Not gonna sit around just waiting for a virtual clock to roll forward 6 hours :p I did get the doc quest, but that was cheesy :-p

More than that though, I nuked the hell out of megaton. Moiarty was irritating, and the fact that everything else was closed... yeah. BURN BABY BURN! El TOASTY!!!!
Sadly, Tenpenny tower only seems to have a single quest - killing Roy Williams. I obliged, took my cash, and now I'm on my way back to DC. Lets see what all I can find to kill there. I ~guess~ I could de-pop the tower though before I leave...

Moira's door was locked with a 100 lockpick skill required. Not gonna sit around just waiting for a virtual clock to roll forward 6 hours :p

You are kidding right? Push the "T" key.

On a side note, a lot of the questions and stuff asked here in this thread is covered in the game's manual. How many people here don't have a manual, perhaps due to the lack of a manual with the warez edition?

You are kidding right? Push the "T" key.

On a side note, a lot of the questions and stuff asked here in this thread is covered in the game's manual. How many people here don't have a manual, perhaps due to the lack of a manual with the warez edition?

No manual - Steam edition :)

And t key? :confused: For torpedo? :p

They can either die in a nuclear fire, or play WalMart - 24 hours a day, your way!

No manual - Steam edition :)

And t key? :confused: For torpedo? :p

They can either die in a nuclear fire, or play WalMart - 24 hours a day, your way!

Steam actually has manuals. I forget where though. I never read manuals.

"T" is the wait key. You can set how long you just stand there and wait. It's in the key bindings.

KoTOR had a lot more guide and direction than this does ;)

sure it was more linear (in a sense) but a lot of sidequests required you to go out of your way.. this game really isn't any different.

I don't want to be held by the hand all the time, but at least tell me things that might be out there, or give me general directions. To put it simply, I don't have ~time~ to just go wandering aimlessly. Too many other games to play, too many other things to do. Give me at least hints, or pass.

It'd also be nice if there were more quests... Megaton only had 2 from what I could see - the bomb, and the pipes. Everything else was closed and wouldn't let me in, so I did those two, and set off the bomb.

Looks like you missed the big one that "tells" you stuff is out there..

Moira's quest line (the Crater's Supply, Wasteland Survival Guide Quest) leads you quite a bit around the world..

To Washington DC, to Rivet City, Minefield, to the RoboCorp Factory etc..

Lucy west in Megaton leads you to Arefu

and (if you save megaton) the find your dad quest line starts in megaton.. which leads you to GNR..

just walking to those places you run into so many things to do and see its pretty amazing..

but i can see if you just went into megaton, talked to the guy in the bar, blew up the bomb how you might think megaton was nothing more than a bomb to blow up (moira's quest line i think is still available after the bomb blows up).. in that case its just the players style. (Main quest has told me to do this, so i do that immediately etc..)

On this aspect they've improved hugely over oblivion.. at some point in oblivion i started to just fast travel more and more.. in FO3 i just have no desire because i have explored so little..

besides its a wasteland, DC was hit by a nuclear bomb.. how can you not want to just go out and explore :)

In the originals, it was the Z key (you know, for catching Z's). Of course, it was T in Oblivion, so it's naturally T in FO3 :)

I never waited in the originals either :p Somehow never needed to, I guess.

Steam actually has manuals. I forget where though. I never read manuals.

"T" is the wait key. You can set how long you just stand there and wait. It's in the key bindings.

Walmart or nuclear apocalypse. Megaton chose to die, so they died. It was a very pretty explosion too. :)

sure it was more linear (in a sense) but a lot of sidequests required you to go out of your way.. this game really isn't any different.

Looks like you missed the big one that "tells" you stuff is out there..

Moira's quest line (the Crater's Supply, Wasteland Survival Guide Quest) leads you quite a bit around the world..

To Washington DC, to Rivet City, Minefield, to the RoboCorp Factory etc..

Lucy west in Megaton leads you to Arefu

and (if you save megaton) the find your dad quest line starts in megaton.. which leads you to GNR..

just walking to those places you run into so many things to do and see its pretty amazing..

but i can see if you just went into megaton, talked to the guy in the bar, blew up the bomb how you might think megaton was nothing more than a bomb to blow up (moira's quest line i think is still available after the bomb blows up).. in that case its just the players style. (Main quest has told me to do this, so i do that immediately etc..)

On this aspect they've improved hugely over oblivion.. at some point in oblivion i started to just fast travel more and more.. in FO3 i just have no desire because i have explored so little..

besides its a wasteland, DC was hit by a nuclear bomb.. how can you not want to just go out and explore :)

Going out of your way isn't a problem - a wide empty map with no hint about where one is going is. And yes, I must have missed something, since no one mentioned anything except Burke telling me about Tenpenny tower, Moiarty told me about GNR (right before I put an assault rifle to his head and solved his bad irish accent). Then I blew the place up. Was there something there that was supposed to tell me about some places on the map?

I'm already using fast travel to get everywhere I can - don't want to waste time holding down W and watching gray rock flow past. Less radscorpions this way too.

The only people that had anything for me to do was a "fix the pipes", "talk to this loser druggy", and "blow up the town". I fixed the pipes, shot the druggy, and nuked the place. :) Done and out!

I just don't have time to explore, it's really that simple. I get maybe an hour to play here and there, and wandering around aimlessly is something I can do in the real world. Games need direction so I can experience whatever it is they want me to and move on, at least for ~me~ - I used to love wandering.

I never waited in the originals either :p Somehow never needed to, I guess.

Walmart or nuclear apocalypse. Megaton chose to die, so they died. It was a very pretty explosion too. :)

Going out of your way isn't a problem - a wide empty map with no hint about where one is going is. And yes, I must have missed something, since no one mentioned anything except Burke telling me about Tenpenny tower, Moiarty told me about GNR (right before I put an assault rifle to his head and solved his bad irish accent). Then I blew the place up. Was there something there that was supposed to tell me about some places on the map?

I'm already using fast travel to get everywhere I can - don't want to waste time holding down W and watching gray rock flow past. Less radscorpions this way too.

The only people that had anything for me to do was a "fix the pipes", "talk to this loser druggy", and "blow up the town". I fixed the pipes, shot the druggy, and nuked the place. :) Done and out!

I just don't have time to explore, it's really that simple. I get maybe an hour to play here and there, and wandering around aimlessly is something I can do in the real world. Games need direction so I can experience whatever it is they want me to and move on, at least for ~me~ - I used to love wandering.

If you don't have time to explore just stick to the main quest line. It'll take you wher eyou need to go. when you have a quest, just select it in the pip-boy and it'll mark waypoints on your map.

sidenote: I found my dad without going to GNR... forget how though. I talked to someone, or did something instead of going to GNR. I made it there eventually though, and a different questline starts.

after finishing the 'Blood Ties' quest and making a deal with the vampires to protect Arefu I went back there because I needed to Sleep in the bed and get my health back to 100%...but when I got there some creature had killed off most of the people and the few that were left started shooting at me or running from me...I talked to one guy who said that 'The Family' was not responsible but someone else...what the hell?...there was no new Quest either...anyone else experience this?

after finishing the 'Blood Ties' quest and making a deal with the vampires to protect Arefu I went back there because I needed to Sleep in the bed and get my health back to 100%...but when I got there some creature had killed off most of the people and the few that were left started shooting at me or running from me...I talked to one guy who said that 'The Family' was not responsible but someone else...what the hell?...there was no new Quest either...anyone else experience this?

I haven't been back there in a while. Maybe I'll check it out.

Shit, I'm about 35 hours in and just hit the level cap (20). I didn't use quick travel though. I kinda created an evil mutated cyborg cannibal with adamantium skeleton ( :D ) who can rape a freakin' army using an AK and a few grenades. And I didn't even start exploring the northern part of the wasteland. Anyhow, the game's great (and yeah, I did play the original FO's - loved those games), but there are a some flaws. To name a few: AI movement sucks balls (seems like companions can't jump off a ledge, they have to go around), there are only a few interesting weapons, power armor is a fucking joke (I managed to decapitate 2 enclave soldiers in adv. power armors in a single VATS "turn" with the AK :rolleyes: ). Overall, the game starts suffering from the same thing as Oblivion did - it is way too easy and it's possible for the player's character to become insanely powerful with a decent distribution of skills and perks. Oh, and the perks. They suck. In FO1 and 2 it was hard to choose a perk because almost each one was valuable. Here I have problems with choosing the one that doesn't suck (I mean, there are really only a few cool ones). At least the perk rewards for quests are interesting and funny (like the one with regenerating limbs). But, even considering these flaws, this game fucking rules and I love it. The size of the wasteland is freakin' epic, VATS is quite cool, quests are mostly really good, dialogues are great.

P.S.: One more flaw: you can't burn children and eat their corpses.
P.S.2: Does anyone know if there's a retard dialogue mode if your int. is extremely low?

I havent been sticking to the main quest, mainly just wandering around getting rich and doing some side quests. But Moira's research quest lead me to rivet city which uncovered some plot info. From there the "following in pops foot steps " quest became blacked out like I had completed it. Did I miss anything from doing this ?

Sadly, Tenpenny tower only seems to have a single quest - killing Roy Williams. I obliged, took my cash, and now I'm on my way back to DC. Lets see what all I can find to kill there. I ~guess~ I could de-pop the tower though before I leave...

there's a few variations on that quest...you can kill Roy Williams and his followers or unlock a door in the basement of Tenpenny tower to let the ghouls in or talk to Alistair Tenpenny and try to convince him to let the ghouls stay at Tenpenny---you then will have to convince 5 residents of Tenpenny that ghouls should be allowed to live there

nothing is simple in Fallout 3...always many ways of finishing a quest, usually with many sub-quests within the main quest

anyone else talk the Moira chick out of her book. I have awsome speech and charisma and maanged tot alk her out of doing the book after completeing the first chapter. got a pretty decent permanent perk out of the deal also. aswell as a permenent discount

anyone else talk the Moira chick out of her book. I have awsome speech and charisma and maanged tot alk her out of doing the book after completeing the first chapter. got a pretty decent permanent perk out of the deal also. aswell as a permenent discount

Shame, you missed a massive quest tree there, she sends you all over the place.

I just started playing FO3 (at last!) and I'm impressed. Walking through the wasteland is disturbing and always keeps me on my toes. I'm on my first mission, after leaving the vault, so I have a lot of exploring work to do. I declined Burke's "assignment", but I have yet to tell Lucas what Burke asked me to do. I'll keep my options open for now :)
Overall and only based on the couple of hours I spent playing it, it's very good. Bethesda didn't disappoint. Another + for them in my book!

how do you take screen shots? what key

Print screen

there's a few variations on that quest...you can kill Roy Williams and his followers or unlock a door in the basement of Tenpenny tower to let the ghouls in or talk to Alistair Tenpenny and try to convince him to let the ghouls stay at Tenpenny---you then will have to convince 5 residents of Tenpenny that ghouls should be allowed to live there

nothing is simple in Fallout 3...always many ways of finishing a quest, usually with many sub-quests within the main quest

Yeah, I let the ghouls run rampant in Tenpenny and got a ghoul mask from Roy. Now whenever I enter any sewers or tunnels I just strap on my mask and don't have to bother with those pesky ferals.

What's the perk? I got some pretty good stuff from that whole ordeal, I'm curious as to what the alternative is.

I let the ghouls run rampant in Tenpenny and got a ghoul mask from Roy. Now whenever I enter any sewers or tunnels I just strap on my mask and don't have to bother with those pesky ferals.

The Ghoul Mask rules. I use it all the time. Even though I use the mask I still kill the ferals for the XP, but at least I don't have them running at me all the time now (unless one is near another I killed). Oh yeah have you heard Three Dog comment on you wearing the mask over the air yet? It's quite amusing.

I found Vault 112 but it seems to break the main story if you find it too soon...crap now I have to go back to an earlier saved game...they should have locked that section till the end of the game and not allow you to accidently find it too soon...:mad:

See, the path I took had no variations and no sub quests. I killed them, and that was it. No followup, no new quests, nada. Tenpenny tower is now a place to sleep and that's ~it~. I'm about an inch from killing everyone there for their caps.

Best way is to let Roy Williams and ghouls go in and slaughter the tower. You loot all the bodies and still get to keep your room. After all the body looting I yielded about 2k+ in bottlecaps from selling + looting safes and kept the good armor.

That lowers Karma >.<

I think the good karma way is impossible without insane Speech skill. I managed to convince one guy though, but three others are being stubborn.

That lowers Karma >.<

I think the good karma way is impossible without insane Speech skill. I managed to convince one guy though, but three others are being stubborn.

The trick is to save before you try to convince them. If you get a FAILED reload and repeat until you get SUCCESS. I kept doing that with just 25 in speech.

Best way is to let Roy Williams and ghouls go in and slaughter the tower. You loot all the bodies and still get to keep your room. After all the body looting I yielded about 2k+ in bottlecaps from selling + looting safes and kept the good armor.

They're already dead too.

If there's no one there to stop me, I bet it'll let me use the room too :)

I'm just a psychotic murderer in game. Repressed vault upbringing and all that, don't ya know.

I'm unimpressed shortly after leaving the vault.

Some guy: "You asshole wastelanders [etc.]"

Me: "What's the word around here?"

Some guy: [gives me the word]

Me: "See you."

Some guy: "Come back if you ever need anything! Cheerio! ROFL"

This is postapocalyptic society?

Bethesda needs some writers...

The trick is to save before you try to convince them. If you get a FAILED reload and repeat until you get SUCCESS. I kept doing that with just 25 in speech.

BOOOO! Save/reload takes the fun out of these types of games. Unless you break a main quest, live with your actions!

I've only been playing a couple hours, been to Megaton and got most of the quests there, unfortunately I made the mistake of accepting both sides to save/blow up Megaton, but I never got paid by the guy in the suit, so when i went with Simms to arrest him they both died :mad: Now I feel bad the Simms boy has no poppa

Cleared out the School nearby, just got to Big Town, but doesn't look like there is much to do there. Working my way up to Arefu, if I don't get killed by any Super Mutants I keep hearing about.

From what I've seen and read so far, I agree... fun game, repair skills are VERY important. I also have medical, speech, and small weapons. Seems to be a balanced enough character, of course leaning towards non-violence. I'm trying to be good... most of the time. I went to the junkie woman in Springvale and got her money she owed to Moriarty.... then shot her and took the rest. She was a junkie, so I don't feel too bad about it, hehe :p

So far, I'm another on the list that is really enjoying the game. I have to admit that it feels and plays like Oblivion, just the way the world kind of looks and the way the characters look. Definitely feels more gritty and dirty though. I liked Oblivion, so I'm not saying that it's a bad thing. I have a feeling it's going to occupy a lot of my gaming time in the next few weeks :D

Shit, I'm about 35 hours in and just hit the level cap (20). I didn't use quick travel though. I kinda created an evil mutated cyborg cannibal with adamantium skeleton ( :D ) who can rape a freakin' army using an AK and a few grenades. And I didn't even start exploring the northern part of the wasteland. Anyhow, the game's great (and yeah, I did play the original FO's - loved those games), but there are a some flaws. To name a few: AI movement sucks balls (seems like companions can't jump off a ledge, they have to go around), there are only a few interesting weapons, power armor is a fucking joke (I managed to decapitate 2 enclave soldiers in adv. power armors in a single VATS "turn" with the AK :rolleyes: ). Overall, the game starts suffering from the same thing as Oblivion did - it is way too easy and it's possible for the player's character to become insanely powerful with a decent distribution of skills and perks. Oh, and the perks. They suck. In FO1 and 2 it was hard to choose a perk because almost each one was valuable. Here I have problems with choosing the one that doesn't suck (I mean, there are really only a few cool ones). At least the perk rewards for quests are interesting and funny (like the one with regenerating limbs). But, even considering these flaws, this game fucking rules and I love it. The size of the wasteland is freakin' epic, VATS is quite cool, quests are mostly really good, dialogues are great.

P.S.: One more flaw: you can't burn children and eat their corpses.
P.S.2: Does anyone know if there's a retard dialogue mode if your int. is extremely low?

I think people have selective memory, FO 1/2 had at least 50% of the perks that were pretty worthless and/or sucked big time.

The Ghoul Mask rules. I use it all the time. Even though I use the mask I still kill the ferals for the XP, but at least I don't have them running at me all the time now (unless one is near another I killed). Oh yeah have you heard Three Dog comment on you wearing the mask over the air yet? It's quite amusing.

I have teh ghoul mask but I dont use it. Ghoul loaded places get really boring with it. For me, ghouls give you the most scare out of the game because they are fast as hell and there was more than one time where it urn around and there is one already in my face.

I found Vault 112 but it seems to break the main story if you find it too soon...crap now I have to go back to an earlier saved game...they should have locked that section till the end of the game and not allow you to accidently find it too soon...:mad:

Thanks for the heads up, I'm currently mapping the Wasteland as I wanted a change from the main quest

I'm unimpressed shortly after leaving the vault.

Some guy: "You asshole wastelanders [etc.]"

Me: "What's the word around here?"

Some guy: [gives me the word]

Me: "See you."

Some guy: "Come back if you ever need anything! Cheerio! ROFL"

This is postapocalyptic society?

Bethesda needs some writers...

:eek:

Bethesda aren't renowned for their writting ability

From what I've seen and read so far, I agree... fun game, repair skills are VERY important.
I learned pretty quickly that playing through the game with a low/default Repair skill would be practically impossible. Someone definitely has to come out with some sort of Repair balancing mod (assuming the toolset ever gets released).

I think people have selective memory, FO 1/2 had at least 50% of the perks that were pretty worthless and/or sucked big time.
Such as...?

The only useless perk in the originals is Bloody Mess. The rest are quite helpful.

So I level up last night and the "here and now" perk showed up .... umm .... awesome. An entire level of experience and I get to put more skill points into skills and select an additional perk.

I'm about 20 hours into the game. No signs of slowdown or boredom approaching. I love it!

Still have yet to really crack into the main quest -- I've only completed the first 1 or 2 legs of it.

So I level up last night and the "here and now" perk showed up .... umm .... awesome. An entire level of experience and I get to put more skill points into skills and select an additional perk.

You'll be level capped out well before you run out of things to do though, so while it speeds things up in the end you lose an extra perk you would otherwise have had.

Back