Your Fallout 3 Impressions

Not only did I find a ton of explosives and a nice little energy weapon, but I also activated some "clean-up" droid that patroled the store protecting me, it was awsome lol. One guy comes running at me only to be surprised by this bots laser blast that incerates him in 1 shot lol.

Where is this robot? How did you activate him?

That's interesting considering that Fallout 3 was leaked for download on the 360 before the PC version was. Still would like to see some US numbers though.

Wow..so with leaks, the 360 number is technically even higher. I figured FO3 for a PC title first and foremost because of mod support.

Wow..so with leaks, the 360 number is technically even higher. I figured FO3 for a PC title first and foremost because of mod support.

I dont think anyone can really deny the pc version is the best, better graphics and actual loads of free upcoming mods.

Oh and one final let down was the Power Armor. . . I just can't believe that it's so pathetic. It's creation altered the very nature of war and in FO3 it's no better than garbage can? No wonder all those BOS guys I see wandering around the wasteland get rocked by a random group of ravagers, in spite of the fact that they are supposed to be walking tanks with their suits.

Maybe you should really think about repairing your power armor. Once it's repaired from the brink of being scrap (like you must have it), it's pretty damn good stuff. It also increases your weight carrying ability and some other attributes.

I dont think anyone can really deny the pc version is the best, better graphics and actual loads of free upcoming mods.

I agree, how could they. It's the best version of the game. Though it's not better for me based on my gaming preferences, console gaming.

Maybe you should really think about repairing your power armor. Once it's repaired from the brink of being scrap (like you must have it), it's pretty damn good stuff. It also increases your weight carrying ability and some other attributes.

the power armor I have sucks, and it's not on the brink of being scrap

I agree, how could they. It's the best version of the game. Though it's not better for me based on my gaming preferences, console gaming.

nothin wrong w/ playin from a couch, that is the most comfortable no doubt.

My opinion is that I love fallout 1/2 and beat both half a dozen times. Fallout 3 has eclipsed my expectations by leaps and bounds. The story is so rich and the sidequests and various areas you find are diverse and each has its own story to tell. This game has so much packed in I cant believe they can sell it for 50 dollars frankly. I mean there is content galore and not lame content, quality content. It is a bit easy on normal but a lot more of a challenge on very hard, this is definately game of the year or even the past several years for me.

during the 'Blood Ties' quest I was given an option to learn the ways of the vampire...I accepted and was given a Bonus perk plus hopefully some cool vampire quests down the road

You are correct, power armor does suck, it only has a DR of 40. :rolleyes:

Despite the :rolleyes: you are correct when you compare the power armor to the Ranger battle armor's 39 and it's only modestly better than the generic combat armor's 32. And both of those only weigh half as much; the power armor doesn't even give enough of a boost to strength to offset it's own weight and most versions come with a minus to agility which hurts your small arms skill, which is the most prevalent of weapons.

But that aside, it's fairly contradictory to the far above the best armor as it was in prior Fallout games. Which was done purposefully because it was supposed to be, it was the armor that allowed America to reclaim Alaska.

...and most versions come with a minus to agility which hurts your small arms skill, which is the most prevalent of weapons.
No kidding? The power armor has a constant effect -1 agility enchantmen...err, attribute? ;)

guys its not about the stats

its about looking badass in a suit of armour while mowing down enemies with ur machine gun

:D:D:D

I agree with a few of the other posters. It's an entertaining game but has a couple shortcomings. I wish the character animations were a little smoother, and interface a little faster to navigate. It would be nice if some of the FPS elements would be tweaked a bit too. The atmosphere is great though.

just located Dogmeat...he was most useful to me in distracting/attacking enemies so I could get an advantage...he also detected enemies by barking much earlier then my radar picked them up...Dogmeat was a very nice touch...unfortunately I underestimated his strength and he was killed by some Mirelurks :(

I've also become addicted to a drug (Buffer pills) even though I only took like 3-4 pills...I found 3 Bobbleheads so far as well (Lockpick, Medicine, Science)...I really like the 'Ripper' melee weapon...cuts enemies up pretty easily...only bad thing is that it seems to break down more often

I just finished the game as a super-goody two-shoes. I even wiped out the entire Slaver city instead of doing it's bidding, which upped my karma.

It was pretty good in all. I'll replay the ending several different ways to see the different outcomes.

I was disappointed in the "return to vault 101" quest line. It could have been so much more. Afterall, you lived there for 19 years. I was hoping to bang Amata.

I'll probably replay it again as a total evil character bent on the annihilation of everything.

I think the single worst plot line of the entire game is little lamplight, oh how i hate those kids and I am a guy that plays a pretty ethical character. I guess the main little brat annoys me the most rarrr almost wants me to tell the slavers where they are!

little lamplight, i feel like im in nevernever land,,,,M jackson would love it

during the 'Blood Ties' quest I was given an option to learn the ways of the vampire...I accepted and was given a Bonus perk plus hopefully some cool vampire quests down the road

heh was wondering what the point of Blood Packs were

now I know

I came across vault 112 when exploring. I thought it was really cool that I could find and interact with what was going on there, until I discovered that it was part of the main quest line and upon exiting I found I had skipped everything between leaving vault 101 to find the GNR building to, well, vault 112.

Bastards. Could they at least lock it until you've pursued the relevant line or something?

I think the single worst plot line of the entire game is little lamplight, oh how i hate those kids and I am a guy that plays a pretty ethical character. I guess the main little brat annoys me the most rarrr almost wants me to tell the slavers where they are!

The main little dude at lamplight was a nod to the kid with the plane in the third Mad Max movie, "Beyond Thunderdome".

And yes, in FO3, he was VERY annoying.

It's not fallout. It's not bad, but it's not fallout. Still plays a lot like oblivion, sadly... and it's gradually turning me off of the game, since I couldn't stand Morrowind/Oblivion.

Sadness... may just throw on god mode and plow through to get the story. Butcher everyone I see.

How long does it take to plow through ~just~ the main storyline? Anyone know?

It's not fallout. It's not bad, but it's not fallout. Still plays a lot like oblivion, sadly... and it's gradually turning me off of the game, since I couldn't stand Morrowind/Oblivion.

Sadness... may just throw on god mode and plow through to get the story. Butcher everyone I see.

How long does it take to plow through ~just~ the main storyline? Anyone know?

Not long, few hours tops; especially with god mode.

I keep trying to get into it... Just doesn't click for long each time for some reason.

Wow, just finished. Just following the main story, with a few side missions here and there, the game is VERY short. And i'm not going to say anymore about it, but the ending... meh.

Gonna start again sometime this week, and probably take every chance I can to do more side quests. I'll probably get more out of it that way. Its weird, I was having alot of fun, then randomly it just ended.

Wow, just finished. Just following the main story, with a few side missions here and there, the game is VERY short. And i'm not going to say anymore about it, but the ending... meh.

Gonna start again sometime this week, and probably take every chance I can to do more side quests. I'll probably get more out of it that way. Its weird, I was having alot of fun, then randomly it just ended.

Games like this are never about the main quest. It's just there for a spine. The game is about exploring the entire wasteland.

I played the first two and liked them a lot. Fallout 3 isn't bad, but it does not live up to the legacy. First off the ending has huge plot holes. They did a great job with the art, and the game is very gritty, but the humor that brightened the wastes is barely a memory. Also there just isn't much writing in the game; that could be a problem of all games that only use speech.
My main problems are:

Vats is basically bullet time.

You are no longer S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Your skills define you so practically everyone can become superman. Gone its seems is the blithering idiot with an intellect of 2. Also traits are gone. And most of the perks just add skill points.

There seems to be a lot of magic numbers. Picking locks it seems to require a particular number of skill points, but is seems there are only 4 or so cutoffs. If my skill is 99 i don't have a snow balls chance in hell, but if its 100 is easy as pie.

There doesn't seem to be that many quests (I may also have missed a bunch)

Enemies are leveled. This is really noticeable later in the game.

That radio plays around 5 songs...

Apparently guns are really breakable.

Exactly why are there so many infertile super mutants around? I haven't seen any FEV? I thought vats were all destroyed a while ago.

Not turn based, probably too much to ever hope for though

Apparently enemies have infinite ammo. No matter how many bullets they fire they never run out and they always drop about the same amount of ammo.

It doesn't seem to bring any new fallout mythos or new hi-tech weaponry

Power armor is nerfed/a joke.

There doesn't seem to be any civilizations that are building a better future (save the main plot city)

My companion, Fawkes, is apparently immortal with a gun that never runs out of ammo

Not very deep gameplay

Enemies seem pretty damn accurate with their weapons. I can't hit them at the distances they shoot from and I have a very high small arms skill, applicable perks and hunting rifle.

Its not all bad for me, though:

Great art, very scary Mutants.

Some great cinematic battles

The repair skill is useful

Plays like deus ex (an amazing game)

Very polished, save the bugs (true to the fallout lineage)

Very great if very somber atmosphere.

Hopefully this games success will cause more games like deus ex and bloodlines to be made.

Anyway these are my initial and probably final impressions (I think I have hit a lot of the game) Its a good game and one worthy of your time. It just isn't the second coming.

-Grimm Fool

Games like this are never about the main quest. It's just there for a spine. The game is about exploring the entire wasteland.

between destroying megaton, destroying roy williams, and I'm getting ready to wipe out Tenpenny for the hell of it... I have a feeling I'm going to miss al ot of the optional quests.

Gotta GIVE me a reason to though. I'm not going to just wander random boring wasteland without a reason. Doesn't seem so far like the quest line is going to drag me very far out there.

Power armor is nerfed/a joke.

My only complaint really.I can overlook all the other stuff. Bethseda still did a hell of a job for something they didn't originate.

Gotta GIVE me a reason to though. I'm not going to just wander random boring wasteland without a reason. Doesn't seem so far like the quest line is going to drag me very far out there.

if nothing more its a sense of adventure and discovery..

these kindof games don't lend well to the "must lead me by the hand" mentality..

its the difference between a cooridor shooter (Doom Quake etc..) and the sandbox approach (Operation Flashpoint, Oblivion, Crysis etc..)..

In this style of game (i would say with more RPGs) you have to sortof be self motivated to want to discover and explore..

I love FO3 because of this, a lot of the quests have been so well done that they lead you all over the world. Moira's quest is a great example.. but that is just to get you started, now i find the empty triangle in my compass and i walk towards trying to find out what is in store or what is there (I found Vault 102 last night doing this, great find - i finally got what it was all about at the end).. if you expect to sortof have these rails to lead you everywhere and whatnot this game is not for you (nor is any sandbox style game / rpg)..

in the end it is your story (characters), the adventure s/he has been on, the choices s/he's made etc.. I still look back at otehr RPGs and think about the adventures (Oblivion happens to be near the top of the list with Deus Ex and KoToR) and choices, the great battles etc..

anyone find Dukov yet?...what's up with the guy?...I went into his house and chatted with him and his lady friends and nothing happened...is there a quest that is available with him?...how do I get the quest?

Agreed about the ending, meh. It was a short game, took less than 20 hours and I did a lot of the side quests.

anyone find Dukov yet?...what's up with the guy?...I went into his house and chatted with him and his lady friends and nothing happened...is there a quest that is available with him?...how do I get the quest?

A Ghoul in the Underworld gives you a quest regarding him.

if nothing more its a sense of adventure and discovery..

these kindof games don't lend well to the "must lead me by the hand" mentality..

its the difference between a cooridor shooter (Doom Quake etc..) and the sandbox approach (Operation Flashpoint, Oblivion, Crysis etc..)..

In this style of game (i would say with more RPGs) you have to sortof be self motivated to want to discover and explore..

I love FO3 because of this, a lot of the quests have been so well done that they lead you all over the world. Moira's quest is a great example.. but that is just to get you started, now i find the empty triangle in my compass and i walk towards trying to find out what is in store or what is there (I found Vault 102 last night doing this, great find - i finally got what it was all about at the end).. if you expect to sortof have these rails to lead you everywhere and whatnot this game is not for you (nor is any sandbox style game / rpg)..

in the end it is your story (characters), the adventure s/he has been on, the choices s/he's made etc.. I still look back at otehr RPGs and think about the adventures (Oblivion happens to be near the top of the list with Deus Ex and KoToR) and choices, the great battles etc..

KoTOR had a lot more guide and direction than this does ;)

I don't want to be held by the hand all the time, but at least tell me things that might be out there, or give me general directions. To put it simply, I don't have ~time~ to just go wandering aimlessly. Too many other games to play, too many other things to do. Give me at least hints, or pass.

It'd also be nice if there were more quests... Megaton only had 2 from what I could see - the bomb, and the pipes. Everything else was closed and wouldn't let me in, so I did those two, and set off the bomb.

I don't want to be held by the hand all the time, but at least tell me things that might be out there, or give me general directions. To put it simply, I don't have ~time~ to just go wandering aimlessly. Too many other games to play, too many other things to do. Give me at least hints, or pass.

It'd also be nice if there were more quests... Megaton only had 2 from what I could see - the bomb, and the pipes. Everything else was closed and wouldn't let me in, so I did those two, and set off the bomb.

There's a *lot* more out of megaton. I've got a lot of playtime now and I'm still working out of there.

Moria for example has a whole series of quests for a book she's writing about survival in the wastelands. They get you out discovering a lot of places (and there's some seriously nice rewards...), and a lot of the places you discover will have thier own quest(s).

As for everything being closed... hint, shops aren't open at night. You might try back during the day....

Also, some quests require you to have a level of skill in something to even know it's an option. Try having 25 medicine skill (I think) when you talk to the doc in megaton for example (even if it is a really lame quest)

Ok I'm really liking this game alot so far been to roughly 25 locations on the map. I have a couple questions though. My dog companion from the scrapyard was killed is there any other companions I can get later on in the game I really miss him sorry dogmeat I shoulda put a leash on ya! :( Also, my weapons are always breaking and the only way I can repair them is by talking to certain people who can repair them but I can never repair any of the weapons myself and my repair skill is like 50 now. I see the repair option on my Pipboy but its still grayed out is my repair skill still not high enough? I'm digging this game alot I just like to wander around even when I have a bunch of quests to do I guess I'm just the sort of person that likes to waste time and kill stuff for no reason :p Oh yea one last word of advice for new players dont let anyone in megaton see you steal something theyll gang rape ya!

That's what I love about this game. If you don't have the time to invest, I suggest you move on and come back when you can experience it in full.

Back