The Secret World

I tried GW2's beta weekends and honestly feel TSW's combat is better. The game as a whole is definitely far better, IMO, but as they say... your mileage may vary :p.
 
There aren't that many of them, just for some quests (sparse numbers) and some of the main story (which is designed to be done solo both in way the instances work, and difficulty).



Very cute. Unfortunately for you, the only game I can think of that went F2P that fast is SWTOR (and it's not actually hitting "F2P" for another few months, just has been announced) and that game was an abysmal tragedy. TSW is a solid MMO, better than AOC by a significant margin which didn't go F2P for years.



Combat gets more complex the further you go... you're in the introduction areas. It is mostly hot-button based but there is a dodge key that actually is needed in some encounters, and plenty of "tells" to dodge special attacks that both do and don't have cast bars, let alone having any aoe notification circle on the ground as some obvious ones do. With how the passives & actives synergize it becomes relatively complex, especially in PVP countering. It's not an action MMO, but there are only a handful of those that have commercially launched anyway and none that did well as far as I am aware.

As far as MMO community feeling, again, you're in the first hour of the game, get a few hours in and there are dungeons to do, group quests, PVP instances & Fusang (I wouldn't recommend going in until QL5-6 though, and even then it's rough as heck against most QL10 people), etc. etc. as well as investigation missions etc. that are quite involved. Both servers I have played on (Huldra and Cerberus) have been very lively and MMO-ish in community, whereas with SWTOR it truly was a singleplayer game with other people running around essentially.

At/toward endgame there are even open-world lairs/minidungeons to farm/bosses in them, as well as Fusang of course for non-instanced PVP, auction house in cities (with actual people in them! GASP!), etc., and the community still remains lively just as it does during the run up. I'm only just into Egypt a little ways but I went through to its start once before also before rerolling servers.

No MMO is perfect, nor is TSW... but TSW is one of the most solid, best overall, MMO's to have come out in several years now. The last games I could truly say that about were RIFT (which remains financially successful and still has a good number of active, populated servers, plus a paid expansion coming shortly), and uh.... I can't really think of any others, though I might include WOW if I had played it before trying BC out early-midway into it for a bit.

Yeah, I know about all the dodging and increased complexity, I took a long look at all the trees and speccing techniques and what have you and spend a lot of time playing PvE as though it was PvP just from having truly learned AoC's amazing combat system and it getting me in the habit of doing so. I was just comparing it to Funcom's last MMO in terms of combat which really did offer a greater depth, is all. It's its own game and all that, I know. I was just saying I went into it expecting the same level of depth and they'd focused on different things, no big deal.

I hate to be such a constant girly fanfuck about it but y'all nigguhs should take another look at playing a melée class in AoC, especially now it's F2P. You are locked out of two thirds of dungeons/PvP areas which is shitty, but rolling on a PvP server should satisfy any cravings for bludgeoning your fellow players. Very, very solid and enjoyable nowadays, so much so that I'm still playing with friends even though I know the game well enough by now to level 80 in a week blindfolded.

I guess at the least it shows promise for TSW being even better by this time next year.
 
Last edited:
I'm still only in Kingsmouth and I've come across a couple of bugged quests.

This tells me something was not done right on your part. Not that I am bashing you. I have done every quest in Kingsmouth multiple times and I have yet to run into one quest that was broken in that zone. Most of the players in the game have found in this instance, that you are not seeing something that is hidden or you are not following the quest properly, whether it be some clue somewhere that is missed. There have been rare instances that quests can be broken but are fixed by "zoning into another instance server" but I have not seen one in KM. I have only seen one broken quest and that was in the Savage Coast and they fixed that with the latest patch.
 
There were some quests in Kingsmouth that were broken at the release of the game (e.g. White raven quest), but they were all fixed shortly after release.
 
I'm glad you played it Q! :)

A buddy and I played all of Friday night into the wee hours, a first for me in a long time since I finished college (lots of late nights gaming then). The investigative missions are probably our favorite type of mission, and I love that it takes us more than a few seconds to think of possible solutions. He's doing a melee/tank type character, I'm a dual pistol DPS, working out great so far. We literally didn't notice that 6-7 hours had passed, it was just that engrossing. Needless to say, he'll be buying it since the free weekend is over, and we'll continue. :)
 
I'm glad you played it Q! :)

A buddy and I played all of Friday night into the wee hours, a first for me in a long time since I finished college (lots of late nights gaming then). The investigative missions are probably our favorite type of mission, and I love that it takes us more than a few seconds to think of possible solutions. He's doing a melee/tank type character, I'm a dual pistol DPS, working out great so far. We literally didn't notice that 6-7 hours had passed, it was just that engrossing. Needless to say, he'll be buying it since the free weekend is over, and we'll continue. :)

The combat especially just kills it for me. I like everything else you mentioned here. It's all about gameplay for me. Gameplay has to grab and hook me across the boards it just isn't going to happen.





I guess at the least it shows promise for TSW being even better by this time next year.

Even I know enough about the MMO scene to know this is just the way it is.

Anyone that jumps into any MMO early or first is simply paying through the nose to be a glorified beta tester.

Can they still enjoy it and have fun? Sure. More power to them. :)

I'll never support or abide by that concept myself. I'll never go along with this pay model.

Next year this thing will probably kick ass and yes, I think it'll F2P by then. The reason I think that is due to larger market circumstances not a "bash" against the game itself.
 
The combat especially just kills it for me. I like everything else you mentioned here. It's all about gameplay for me. Gameplay has to grab and hook me across the boards it just isn't going to happen.

What didn't you like about the combat? I very much enjoy the gun play, and my friend says the melee is very solid. The skills you're able to pick, and the ability to dodge are very welcome too.
 
The combat is the games weakest point.

It's jsut so repetitive, hit your build up skill 4 times, then your main/secondary consumer, repeat over and over and over, regardless of enemy.

There's no tactics behind it, no skill or thought. Every single combat encounter you masht eh same buttons over and over and over in the same exact order.

The variety of skills, and hte ability to mix and match are nice, but the combat itself is just bad.
 
What didn't you like about the combat? I very much enjoy the gun play, and my friend says the melee is very solid.

See Stiler's post basically. A lot of rote hotkey bashing. It's just not FUN to me personally.



PC Gamer's review described it well:

It doesn’t help that the combat is so uninspired. It’s not bad as much as perfunctory. Average. You hit the number keys of your hotbar in a repeat pattern as your character chip, chip, chips away at the enemy’s health bar. Build Focus, which allows you to perform special moves, then dodge an attack, then repeat. As you progress through the levels, the mobs don’t get more challenging, they just take more time to kill.

Based on what I saw, this is the weakest part of the entire game right here. If they can work on this and simply make it more fun to play (I know that's subjective) I'll jump in because there's a lot to like here.



The skills you're able to pick, and the ability to dodge are very welcome too.

Yes, this impressed me.
 
Just a heads up on a deal for anyone interested in buying

Greenmangaming has it using code PCGMR-ALLIN-GREEN will get you it for $37.50.

worked for me earlier today but YMMV

I'll edit my post once we confirm the deal is over
 
This tells me something was not done right on your part. Not that I am bashing you. I have done every quest in Kingsmouth multiple times and I have yet to run into one quest that was broken in that zone. Most of the players in the game have found in this instance, that you are not seeing something that is hidden or you are not following the quest properly, whether it be some clue somewhere that is missed. There have been rare instances that quests can be broken but are fixed by "zoning into another instance server" but I have not seen one in KM. I have only seen one broken quest and that was in the Savage Coast and they fixed that with the latest patch.

I ran into a couple that were bugged this past weekend.

It Takes Two to Tango was definitely bugged. Tango disappeared for several hours, and was not "stuck" along his path. After the server restart on Sunday morning, he was back and I was able to do the quest. I had an investigation quest .....
<SPOILER ALERT>
had me go into town hall and look at some paintings. When I first went into town hall, there was only one painting that would "light up" or allow me to examine. I had to "cancel" the quest by picking up another one, then renew it. Then it worked fine.
<END SPOILER>

There is also the one where the guy is stuck in the bear trap. He just wasn't there all weekend long.

Not all quests are bug free yet.
 
I ran into a couple that were bugged this past weekend.

It Takes Two to Tango was definitely bugged. Tango disappeared for several hours, and was not "stuck" along his path. After the server restart on Sunday morning, he was back and I was able to do the quest. I had an investigation quest .....
<SPOILER ALERT>
had me go into town hall and look at some paintings. When I first went into town hall, there was only one painting that would "light up" or allow me to examine. I had to "cancel" the quest by picking up another one, then renew it. Then it worked fine.
<END SPOILER>

There is also the one where the guy is stuck in the bear trap. He just wasn't there all weekend long.

Not all quests are bug free yet.
Weird, did not know they were bugged. The first time I had the Tango quest he was not there either, I just did another quest until he showed up from someone else popping him. It takes a couple mins for the dog to re-appear. The same with the guy in the bear trap. I just waited until he re-appeared again. I would say they are probably just timed quests. I guess it is a subject of opinion on it or it was messed up due to this past weekend being a little wonky.

If you guys do not like using the same buttons for building skills, there are other skills to build that will produce other effects and build at the same time. Some do de-buffs where others do more damage. Its a matter of play style. Early on, I can definitely see it being 1 1 1 1 1 2(or in my case e e e e e q since I remap my keys) since you are limited on abilities but once you get the wheel filled in a little more there are other skills to use.
It is a builder style combat so I can see why some people might get bored with it. I never really keep the same play style though.
 
The combat is a little stale but so far it is a bit more active than say WoW or Rift. I like the dodge aspects as well as the AoE attacks the mobs do which require you to pay attention at least. So at the very least it does require more than just hitting your attack buttons over and over again until the mob dies.

I'm enjoying the game immensely, even more so than GW2 BWE, still in Kingsmouth though but looking forward to playing a bit today since I've got the day off work and the family is all gone. Going to try and figure out crafting since I'm stockpiling runes and I have no clue what to do with them.
 
I wish they had copied Max Payne style combat without the slow motion or had bullet time as a buff for the group. I agree the combat is the most annoying thing about the game. If the game was like a GW2 subscription model I could have overlooked the combat and had fun. As is all I could think was if I get tired of hitting 1,1,1,1,2 and take a one week break, will I get my $15 worth for that month?

I've never paid $200 for a game although I did pay $150 for SWTOR collector's edition. I just can't see myself doing that and pressing 1,1,1,2. I'll follow the game and see if it improves much in the future though.
 
I wish they had copied Max Payne style combat without the slow motion or had bullet time as a buff for the group. I agree the combat is the most annoying thing about the game. If the game was like a GW2 subscription model I could have overlooked the combat and had fun. As is all I could think was if I get tired of hitting 1,1,1,1,2 and take a one week break, will I get my $15 worth for that month?

I've never paid $200 for a game although I did pay $150 for SWTOR collector's edition. I just can't see myself doing that and pressing 1,1,1,2. I'll follow the game and see if it improves much in the future though.

Combat's not that miraculous, have to agree, but the storyline alone and the quests keep my buddy and I busier than beavers building a dam.
 
Positives outweigh negatives no question. I'll be eager to see what another 6 months or so does for this.
 
The combat is a little stale but so far it is a bit more active than say WoW or Rift. I like the dodge aspects as well as the AoE attacks the mobs do which require you to pay attention at least. So at the very least it does require more than just hitting your attack buttons over and over again until the mob dies.

I'm enjoying the game immensely, even more so than GW2 BWE, still in Kingsmouth though but looking forward to playing a bit today since I've got the day off work and the family is all gone. Going to try and figure out crafting since I'm stockpiling runes and I have no clue what to do with them.

crafting guide

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:craft-patterns

my lazy approach to crafting is I disassemble an item I want to craft to see the pattern, then proceed with crafting the item I want
 
So I downloaded this last night. Which society should I play and why?
 
So I downloaded this last night. Which society should I play and why?

templar or illuminati if you want the faction buff

there's definite population imbalance with Dragon always being the lowest pop and either templar or illuminati being the highest pop on a server

other thing to consider is that cabals (guilds) are faction specific, so joining a higher pop faction will give you access to a greater variety of cabals

all factions can party together in PvE. factions are separated in PvP.
 
The Fumcom points. Do they come from playing the game or do I have to purchase them? Negotiating with nephews on the game. Ha ha.
 
The Fumcom points. Do they come from playing the game or do I have to purchase them? Negotiating with nephews on the game. Ha ha.

I believe the way to get them is to purchase them. Alternatively, they had a way to get some bonus ones this last week by playing 30 missions in the game. I also know you can transfer some from Age of Conan if you have any.
 
I believe the way to get them is to purchase them. Alternatively, they had a way to get some bonus ones this last week by playing 30 missions in the game. I also know you can transfer some from Age of Conan if you have any.

Ok thx! I have a new 3D monitor on the way, but I have an AMD video card and one of my nephews has a 3D TV. Does the game work in 3D for AMD equipment? My nephews and I play games together and some 3D on his TV and my monitor would sell him the game. At least make him upgrade his video card. :)

Man the lifetime sub is $250; game + subscription. That's an awful lot to spend. I kinda justified $200 by ignoring sensibilities but $250 is more than the Asus Phoebus sound card I was debating. I mean they even have an item store with 9,000 Funcom points for $75. This screams F2P to me. I'll buy character slots in a F2P game, and maybe a doodad or 2, but not sure if I'd buy anything in a subscription based game.

Do your Funcom points disappear if you cancel your sub for a month? I tend to do that these days as MMO's tend to resemble WoW more and more. I got bored of WoW and quit; now everyone wants to bore me with clones of it.

I know lots of questions and musings. Just curious! Thx :)
 
Do you guys use just one builder and one consumer? I slot 3 builders, 2 consumers, 1 big heal, and one non-consumer AOE hinder. Each builder slotted have different utility (apply stacking weakened, affliction, or hit point buff). Mobs start to have different resists at Blue Mountain and you'll find that some builders would disadvantage you. This gets more pronounced after BM.

Ok thx! I have a new 3D monitor on the way, but I have an AMD video card and one of my nephews has a 3D TV. Does the game work in 3D for AMD equipment? My nephews and I play games together and some 3D on his TV and my monitor would sell him the game. At least make him upgrade his video card. :)

Man the lifetime sub is $250; game + subscription. That's an awful lot to spend. I kinda justified $200 by ignoring sensibilities but $250 is more than the Asus Phoebus sound card I was debating. I mean they even have an item store with 9,000 Funcom points for $75. This screams F2P to me. I'll buy character slots in a F2P game, and maybe a doodad or 2, but not sure if I'd buy anything in a subscription based game.

Do your Funcom points disappear if you cancel your sub for a month? I tend to do that these days as MMO's tend to resemble WoW more and more. I got bored of WoW and quit; now everyone wants to bore me with clones of it.

I know lots of questions and musings. Just curious! Thx :)

You would be surprised how much players spend on clothing. I see so much customization going on that I'm actually tempted to buy some from the store. Good thing I'm still able to match well enough using the in-game clothing choices. I don't mind the store really since it's all fluff. Once they add "me win!" items I'm gone.
 
Ok thx! I have a new 3D monitor on the way, but I have an AMD video card and one of my nephews has a 3D TV. Does the game work in 3D for AMD equipment? My nephews and I play games together and some 3D on his TV and my monitor would sell him the game. At least make him upgrade his video card. :)

Man the lifetime sub is $250; game + subscription. That's an awful lot to spend. I kinda justified $200 by ignoring sensibilities but $250 is more than the Asus Phoebus sound card I was debating. I mean they even have an item store with 9,000 Funcom points for $75. This screams F2P to me. I'll buy character slots in a F2P game, and maybe a doodad or 2, but not sure if I'd buy anything in a subscription based game.

Do your Funcom points disappear if you cancel your sub for a month? I tend to do that these days as MMO's tend to resemble WoW more and more. I got bored of WoW and quit; now everyone wants to bore me with clones of it.

I know lots of questions and musings. Just curious! Thx :)

No 3D support as far as I'm aware. I wouldn't blow money on the game like that just yet, try it for a month or two to see if it's really what you want. Lifetime subscriptions aren't the smartest thing to purchase so early on. Not entirely sure if the points disappear either once you unsub.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So I downloaded this last night. Which society should I play and why?

Leviathan is the new RP "server" and it always seems like Dragon has all the objectives, at least when i'm playing. I haven't played Dragon because I didn't like their description; however, I'm enjoying the Templar faction and storyline so far.

crafting guide

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:craft-patterns

my lazy approach to crafting is I disassemble an item I want to craft to see the pattern, then proceed with crafting the item I want

Thanks!
 
Leviathan is the new RP "server" and it always seems like Dragon has all the objectives, at least when i'm playing. I haven't played Dragon because I didn't like their description; however, I'm enjoying the Templar faction and storyline so far.

My buddy and I are also playing Templar (I started Illuminati for solo play though), and we're really liking the storyline so far.
 
Why is everyone against a 15$ a month subscription charge? Think about how much money a month that most of us blow on cokes, candy, chips, beer, weed. I think 15$ is a fair price to pay for endless hours of entertainment. As long as you are playing and enjoying the game, who cares, pony up the money. When you stop playing the game cancel the sub. Its a pretty easy concept. If you have played this game and enjoyed it, sign up and play some more, this game is amazing and I am completely in love. This is the first MMO that I have ever played and I am sorry that I waited so long. With that being said, does anyone know where to find a MMO guide for dummies. There is just so much new aspects of a game that I am not generally familar with. I would love to group with some people for some dungeon runs but i do not want to get nerd raged on for not purging or clensing or CC'ing properly.
 
The combat is a little stale but so far it is a bit more active than say WoW or Rift. I like the dodge aspects as well as the AoE attacks the mobs do which require you to pay attention at least. So at the very least it does require more than just hitting your attack buttons over and over again until the mob dies.

I'm enjoying the game immensely, even more so than GW2 BWE, still in Kingsmouth though but looking forward to playing a bit today since I've got the day off work and the family is all gone. Going to try and figure out crafting since I'm stockpiling runes and I have no clue what to do with them.

It's way deeper than WoW or Rift, for sure, in PVE, and better in PVP imo.

The combat is the games weakest point.

It's jsut so repetitive, hit your build up skill 4 times, then your main/secondary consumer, repeat over and over and over, regardless of enemy.

There's no tactics behind it, no skill or thought. Every single combat encounter you masht eh same buttons over and over and over in the same exact order.

The variety of skills, and hte ability to mix and match are nice, but the combat itself is just bad.

Except when you don't... mobs in Blue Mountain, Egypt especially and beyond, require different things oftentimes. Avoid aoe, stop attacking due to damage reflection, make sure you interrupt, make sure you LOS, use snares, etc. And melee weapons start out with full points available.... so no, you're not using a builder there initially. You can boil ANY game down to "hit buttons a few times and watch things die", any MMO easily and things like BattleField 3 (Oh just hit the mouse button a few times to spray that guy dead). However, there's a LOT more complexity to actually doing so effectively ;).


Why is everyone against a 15$ a month subscription charge? Think about how much money a month that most of us blow on cokes, candy, chips, beer, weed. I think 15$ is a fair price to pay for endless hours of entertainment. As long as you are playing and enjoying the game, who cares, pony up the money. When you stop playing the game cancel the sub. Its a pretty easy concept. If you have played this game and enjoyed it, sign up and play some more, this game is amazing and I am completely in love. This is the first MMO that I have ever played and I am sorry that I waited so long. With that being said, does anyone know where to find a MMO guide for dummies. There is just so much new aspects of a game that I am not generally familar with. I would love to group with some people for some dungeon runs but i do not want to get nerd raged on for not purging or clensing or CC'ing properly.

As to the subscription fee "debate", $15/mo is very little for a service like this... compared to other things it's just not that much money for a hobby. It's a non-factor to me on deciding whether to be playing an MMO. I'm probably grabbing lifetime soon since it'll be cheaper in the long run, though.

For dungeon guides/etc., check out Dulfy's site (http://dulfy.net/category/tsw/), she has very nice write-ups and info.

----

P.S. TXAA is enabled with today's patch, looks WAY better than FXAA to me in motion and texture clarity. :D :D :D /hugs his GTX 670. The difference in motion is incredible (the article with an example video is on the official GeForce site, [h] blocks the url so I can't post it, but go to: geforce dot com/whats-new/articles/the-secret-world-txaa/ to see it).

Unfortunately, it hurts my framerate a good bit even on TXAA x2 :(... time to go back to SLI?? :p
 
Last edited:
Why is everyone against a 15$ a month subscription charge? Think about how much money a month that most of us blow on cokes, candy, chips, beer, weed. I think 15$ is a fair price to pay for endless hours of entertainment. As long as you are playing and enjoying the game, who cares, pony up the money. When you stop playing the game cancel the sub. Its a pretty easy concept. If you have played this game and enjoyed it, sign up and play some more, this game is amazing and I am completely in love. This is the first MMO that I have ever played and I am sorry that I waited so long. With that being said, does anyone know where to find a MMO guide for dummies. There is just so much new aspects of a game that I am not generally familar with. I would love to group with some people for some dungeon runs but i do not want to get nerd raged on for not purging or clensing or CC'ing properly.

Because I have played many MMO's, and have burned out on them when they follow the WoW set of rules. I put almost 700 days played into WoW. 700 x 24 is 16,800 hours. For example in Tera I got up to level 18 and got bored even though the combat was awesome. I ponied up another $15 to only play for 2 hours last month. I was bored senseless of the questing and storyline even though I love the combat.

For $15 a month and a total login time of 2 hours I don't think monthly subscription fees are for me. Now if I were more like you where a MMO is a new experience, I might have a different outlook. The Secret World appeals to me because of the investigations, but I don't like the combat. I was contemplating the lifetime sub but at $250 that's too ridiculous to pay.

So maybe now you can understand why $15 is too much. :)
 
Fair enough...I see where you are coming from. I guess being new to MMO's and in the honeymoon phase with a great game makes the 15$ fee irrelevant to me. Hell, I spent 12$on lunch alone yesterday at work so to me 15$ is just dispensible income. I can just not buy a case of beer one weekend and then the sub fee is payed.
 
Do you guys use just one builder and one consumer? I slot 3 builders, 2 consumers, 1 big heal, and one non-consumer AOE hinder. Each builder slotted have different utility (apply stacking weakened, affliction, or hit point buff). Mobs start to have different resists at Blue Mountain and you'll find that some builders would disadvantage you. This gets more pronounced after BM.

solo build farming NM Ghouls in Castlevania

1 builder (Ignition), 3 consumers (Combust, Bloodshot, Blaze), 1 Hinder (Molten Earth), 2 Heals

I'm pretty sure you can make your build tighter by reducing builders to 1 to 2 since builders are lowest DPS skills and using consumer/utility skills instead
 
Fair enough...I see where you are coming from. I guess being new to MMO's and in the honeymoon phase with a great game makes the 15$ fee irrelevant to me. Hell, I spent 12$on lunch alone yesterday at work so to me 15$ is just dispensible income. I can just not buy a case of beer one weekend and then the sub fee is payed.

$15 is no big deal for me either, but for me $15 is the price of CS:GO or another similar game that I'll play for a good bit. I guess for me it's a waste of money if I'm paying money and not playing like you're playing. :)
 
solo build farming NM Ghouls in Castlevania

1 builder (Ignition), 3 consumers (Combust, Bloodshot, Blaze), 1 Hinder (Molten Earth), 2 Heals

I'm pretty sure you can make your build tighter by reducing builders to 1 to 2 since builders are lowest DPS skills and using consumer/utility skills instead

I actually like having three builders since you can stack most effects. Two rotations would net me potentially ten stacks of weakened then next two rotations could potentially net me ten stacks of +30 to hit and so on with affliction with the third builder. That's some massive dps boost. If I'm lucky my faction would have all pvp objectives which further boosts my character.
 
Except when you don't... mobs in Blue Mountain, Egypt especially and beyond, require different things oftentimes. Avoid aoe, stop attacking due to damage reflection, make sure you interrupt, make sure you LOS, use snares, etc. And melee weapons start out with full points available.... so no, you're not using a builder there initially. You can boil ANY game down to "hit buttons a few times and watch things die", any MMO easily and things like BattleField 3 (Oh just hit the mouse button a few times to spray that guy dead). However, there's a LOT more complexity to actually doing so effectively ;).


When you are attacking, aside from avoiding the aoe's (which you will find on mobs even before Blue mountain and higher) and stopping to avoid reflection you are still going to want to hit the same keys, in the same order, to maximize your damage output.

There's no variety to it, sure you can throw a snare in there or two when you want, or if something gets aggro'd to you you don't want, but the base combat boils down to hitting your build up abilities , your two weapon spenders, then repeating it.

That's the m ain complaint people have against the game, even on the games official forums.
 
When you are attacking, aside from avoiding the aoe's (which you will find on mobs even before Blue mountain and higher) and stopping to avoid reflection you are still going to want to hit the same keys, in the same order, to maximize your damage output.

There's no variety to it, sure you can throw a snare in there or two when you want, or if something gets aggro'd to you you don't want, but the base combat boils down to hitting your build up abilities , your two weapon spenders, then repeating it.

That's the m ain complaint people have against the game, even on the games official forums.

That's how all mmo's work, even the holy WOW that everyone lauds so much for its combat: you're best off using a set rotation, be it rote order or priority-based. It's no different in any MMO... TSW's combat is as deep as any I've seen. Obviously, in any MMO, pvp combat is more complex as well.
 
That's how all mmo's work, even the holy WOW that everyone lauds so much for its combat: you're best off using a set rotation, be it rote order or priority-based. It's no different in any MMO... TSW's combat is as deep as any I've seen. Obviously, in any MMO, pvp combat is more complex as well.

I wish MMO's would start to wean themselves off WoW. TSW questing is darn good though. Still say they should have Max Payne'd the combat. :)

Ok here's a very important question. I have one nephew that has a kid, works 20 hour shifts when his coworkers don't show, likes 4 wheelers, touchy GF; aka b*tch. If were to level past him, can I come back and assist him without messing up his EXP? Can I run dungeons with him? Or am I going to be stuck looking at the login screen for a week like usual because I can't leave him behind.
 
I wish MMO's would start to wean themselves off WoW. TSW questing is darn good though. Still say they should have Max Payne'd the combat. :)

Ok here's a very important question. I have one nephew that has a kid, works 20 hour shifts when his coworkers don't show, likes 4 wheelers, touchy GF; aka b*tch. If were to level past him, can I come back and assist him without messing up his EXP? Can I run dungeons with him? Or am I going to be stuck looking at the login screen for a week like usual because I can't leave him behind.

As far as I know, the QL of your gear/etc. does not affect XP for others in your group, but this would be a question I'd float on the official forums as I'm not positive :). Dungeon-wise, you'd be fine, 99% sure on normal questing/mobs as well.

EDIT: If you can't post there, let me know here and I'll make a thread to ask for you.
 
Last edited:
Weird, did not know they were bugged. The first time I had the Tango quest he was not there either, I just did another quest until he showed up from someone else popping him. It takes a couple mins for the dog to re-appear. The same with the guy in the bear trap. I just waited until he re-appeared again. I would say they are probably just timed quests. I guess it is a subject of opinion on it or it was messed up due to this past weekend being a little wonky.

Yeah, that's what we thought. We hung out in the area for about a half-hour or more working on other quests that were right there. Kept checking on them, but they never popped. Several people had said that that Tango was bugged. We ran the entire path and he wasn't there.

The guy in the trap didn't show up the entire time we were in the area where the wisps hang out. There was a guy camping the trap the entire time waiting for the guy to pop. He never did. I think that's the only mission in Kingsmouth I have not completed.
 
XP gain never changes in this game. It breaks the mold of MMO's in this instance. You will always get the same xp for a mob whether you are rank 1 or rank 9 etc. That is why people say they can go back to Kingsmouth and redo the quests. The only difference is at a higher rank you obviously need more xp points for those higher wheel abilities. So no, it will not hurt you or him cageymaru.

I wish everyone would stop using WoW as the ultimate MMO mold personally, I put way too much time into EQ, even before WoW was even played to have to always be reminded that WoW was the be all end all first MMO in existence, lol. WoW just made things too simple, easy and hand held. Guess that is the reason my friends and me went to AO instead. Much better game in my eyes.
 
Back
Top