The Secret World

Not sure what RVR means, I can not seem to log into the main forum site. It hasn't been able to recognize my forum log in. I have a ticket with funcom for it though.
Not much of a pvp in mmo's not sure why because I love old school FPS's. I think it goes back to a traumatic episode in UO a long time ago, lol.

Not sure what RVR means, I can not seem to log into the main forum site. It hasn't been able to recognize my forum log in. I have a ticket with funcom for it though.
Not much of a pvp in mmo's not sure why because I love old school FPS's. I think it goes back to a traumatic episode in UO a long time ago, lol.

I mean objective-based open-world PVP zones, in modern-day terms ;). RVR = Realm vs. Realm from DAOC/WAR :).

he means fusang.

I think there are two of them, Fusang and one other.... that aren't instanced, currently? Any thoughts on them :)?

I mean objective-based open-world PVP zones, in modern-day terms ;). RVR = Realm vs. Realm from DAOC/WAR :).

I think there are two of them, Fusang and one other.... that aren't instanced, currently? Any thoughts on them :)?

all PVP is instanced in the game. there are two battlegrounds and there's fusang projects which is their "large scale" pvp format.

all PVP is instanced in the game. there are two battlegrounds and there's fusang projects which is their "large scale" pvp format.

Errrrrr.... as far as I have seen and read, Fusang is not instanced (i.e. there is only ONE copy per server, not multiple) but it is a separate zone, correct?

How is the gameplay working out? I'm reading that people are using it as a power-grind instead of fighting.... sounds like the problems WAR had originally but was helped a lot by adding defense rewards/etc. to encourage people not to just merry-go-round eachother capturing things continuously?

Errrrrr.... as far as I have seen and read, Fusang is not instanced (i.e. there is only ONE copy per server, not multiple) but it is a separate zone, correct?

How is the gameplay working out? I'm reading that people are using it as a power-grind instead of fighting.... sounds like the problems WAR had originally but was helped a lot by adding defense rewards/etc. to encourage people not to just merry-go-round eachother capturing things continuously?

Fusang is not like the Frontier was in DAoC. There are objectives to capture and if you control the majority of the spawn points your whole realm, ie...Templar, Dragon, Illuminati get bonuses. So there is some incentive to control Fusang. However, there are no relics/prices that you capture and bring back to one of your control areas.

Combat in Fusang is best when you are with a few friends coordinating over a voice server. In other words, you are either part of the zerg or just roadkill in its wake. However, when two zergs meet...shizam its damn fun.

i only have first hand experience with battlegrounds and PVE. fusang is a separate area like GW2's WvW but i just call them instances for simplicity's sake since i don't consider either to be real world pvp.

anyways the battlegrounds, not feeling it. i don't think it was designed well. i hear fusang is a cap trade fest like Ilum was when swtor launched, although it's probably much better overall since we'd all know if someone actually managed to make worse PVP than Ilum.

this game could of been amazing with what they got going on but its a just pretty decent game just for the Single Player PVE aspect of the atmosphere just nothing like it right on the market great concept, ill play for a month or two probly. The combat could totally use some love and the graphics are decent no where what it should be for 2012 and yes im maxed out Dx11 on a boss PC.

Just got done with Polaris tonight and have to say that was AMAZING!!! Most fun I've had in an MMO and that was just the first raid so far in the game. That last boss we wiped like five or six times but finally took him down. The feeling of accomplishment when we did it was almost identical to when we took down Rag in Molten Core for the first time in WOW!!!
I had to respec my character after the third wipe and managed to get my dps up to take him down much faster.

Just got done with Polaris tonight and have to say that was AMAZING!!! Most fun I've had in an MMO and that was just the first raid so far in the game. That last boss we wiped like five or six times but finally took him down. The feeling of accomplishment when we did it was almost identical to when we took down Rag in Molten Core for the first time in WOW!!!
I had to respec my character after the third wipe and managed to get my dps up to take him down much faster.

I keep hearing great things about Polaris but have had a tough time getting myself in there.

My main mission has already moved me on to the next area (SC) and I'm up to QL4 gear for about half my slots now with a QL5 main weapon, so I'm sure I'm geared enough.

Is there a questline that takes you there like Inferno does in SC or do you just wander in and send the evil spawn back to the darkness at any point? :)

Most of what ive heard so far is that its great at first bu tthen turns into your typical grind.

I keep hearing great things about Polaris but have had a tough time getting myself in there.

My main mission has already moved me on to the next area (SC) and I'm up to QL4 gear for about half my slots now with a QL5 main weapon, so I'm sure I'm geared enough.

Is there a questline that takes you there like Inferno does in SC or do you just wander in and send the evil spawn back to the darkness at any point? :)

You may be a little dissapointed with drops then since it's all QL3 drops. I know I had all QL4 I think I got a blade that was blue at QL3 that had just a little bit better stats then my QL4 blade.

There is a mission in the camp right next to the helicopter from the girl. It's the bottom mission I think it's in green? I can't remember the exact color of raid missions. But only took us 10 minutes to group together. My guy is spec'd for dps, but I used him as a tank since I had all higher gear and the healer just focused on me. If you use blades then you can generate hate much easier.

You will be surprised at the last boss. I know I was. He's hard as hell but not impossible.

To my knowledge all of the group missions have a storyline/progression leading up to them....

For polaris it comes from the npc at the ramp area there surround by all the guards and things. You should have already gotten missions from her before, one of the last npc's you get missions from in Kingstown, if you are following the natural progression of that area.

Most of what ive heard so far is that its great at first bu tthen turns into your typical grind.

I don't know about later on in the game but I've logged lots of hours in to this and have had a blast. Bought Diablo 3 for 60 bucks and thought it was shit after 10 hours or so. This by far is the best game I've played in a long while, def worth the sticker price. If end game is shit then I'll quit playing, and yet I'd still be happy. SWTOR was a shit game that was uninteresting while leveling and doing quests. My hope for that game was to level as quickly as possible to play end game which I later found was non-existant. This game makes me want to take my time and find out what happens next. What the next area looks like, what the bosses are like, etc. The graphics on this game for an MMO are superb as well. It may not be Witcher 2 graphics, but if you like AOC with all the DirectX10 bells and whistles, this games reminds me of that but even more richer in detail.

I find myself wanting to complete all the side quests before moving onto the main mission. I was never much of an end game player when it came to MMO's, so I am fine with it for now. They say once things get settled, they will be bringing in new content every month, or at least try I would think. I am wearing mostly QL3/4 stuff right now and just got done with the starting mission from the woman so I am sure Polaris will be very soon. I love the mission mechanics of this game and it really makes you think, and research, which is a nice twist. Using Blade/Pistols and have yet to die from anything. Soloing up to now so I am enjoying it.

They already announced new content in the monthly update, plus new clothing/character customization in August.

So, any thoughts from those who have played some in Fusang? Have they been talking much about pvp other than the dungeon announced in the state of the game? I am thinking of grabbing this.... I played in the beta and loved the questing, only tried the instanced pvp though and not Fusang. Also pre launch they publicly talked about more Fusang type zones.... Any further news on that?

i havent tried pvp at all yet. I'm QL6 gear now im in blue mountains, ive ran the first 3 dungeons so far and i'm still enjoying the game. I may only be playing until GW2 comes out though. We'll see how it goes in a month.

Last edited:
I picked it up yesterday. A little overwhelmed at the skill tree and how to build (if I want to heal, do I level up healing first or go a dps/survival build to quest first, etc)

I picked it up yesterday. A little overwhelmed at the skill tree and how to build (if I want to heal, do I level up healing first or go a dps/survival build to quest first, etc)

do not level healing first unless you are always duoing with someone, make a build that you can solo with first then start branching out into tank, heal, or DPS.

you can follow the pre-built decks or use them to get an idea of how/why they are constructed, then build your own custom deck

just keep in mind that all the pre-built decks are not necessarily great for soloing, but you won't really find out whether the deck you're using is sufficient for soloing until Blue Mountain the third zone in TSW

I can provide a link to the solo build I've been using up through the 5th zone of TSW if you want to get some ideas

some general tips to deck building is that you should eventually be using two focuses. You can start out using 1 through the first zone to get more comfortable with the play style, then add a second focus after you have a better understanding of what might compliment the first focus you chose.

you should only be using 2 dual resource builders at most (having only 1 is perfectly fine) and fill the rest with utility skills, resource consumers, CD skills, or heals. since you only have 7 skill slots available, make sure whatever skills you choose have good reason to be there and are not being underutilized and wasting a skill slot.

Yep, the best newbie tip is that you want to build at least two area's, the way the combat system works you will build up "resources" which builds up for both weapons (whichever two you choose) then you use a "focus" attack that deals much more dmg then most other attacks, so to use the combat system the best you need at least two.

When finding out which skills you want to learn remember:

1. You can ap/sp at the same rate.
2. You never gain a "cap" on them, so don't feel bad if you put some sp/ap into something then decide you don't like it/want it.
3. You can redo quests (there is a CD timer on many, but once it's over you can do it again).

Swords are great for aoe dmg (and later can be focused to good single) Hammers are good dps too more focused on single target early on, Blood is good for healing, Rifles are good for pvp, elemental good for dmg.

What you really want to do is look for two skill sets to focus on that have good synergy together.

For instance I use Swords and Elemental, both of this have a decent synergy as you can set up skills and passives from eacht hat focus on crit chance/penetration and affecting more dmg on "Afflicted" targets. I also went into the fist skill tree to get an ability that causes any attack I do to set "Afflicted" state, so every attack I do causes it but also my abilities gain/do more dmg because targets are afflicted.

Just don't be afraid to experiment and find something you enjoy doing. Plenty of choices and part of the fun is just finding what works for you.

right now im just trying to finish my first deck i just went straight to paladin deck i have 4 abilities left to purchase to have completed my first deck. pistol/sword combo for now

Bah, decided to go for it, but when trying to buy through GreenMan Gaming for 20% off + $2 credit I have with them and keep getting "Order not complete" error immediately when trying to pay with paypal (not being sent to paypal to login even). Hopefully they fix it before the sale ends (code is COSYO-UDIDN-TGET1 for anyone who wants to go for it themselves).

Forums seem to indicate the bulk of the pvp issues are that there isn't any real incentive to defend in Fusang, but rather just attack... and that consumables take one type of currency (Black Tokens) that's rare instead of an easier and plentiful one (White Tokens). I'm sure both will be addressable pretty easily by the devs ;). Some complain of TTK being too quick thanks to high spike damage, but that too is a non-fundamental problem but rather one that can be adjusted to get right.

Bah, decided to go for it, but when trying to buy through GreenMan Gaming for 20% off + $2 credit I have with them and keep getting "Order not complete" error immediately when trying to pay with paypal (not being sent to paypal to login even). Hopefully they fix it before the sale ends (code is COSYO-UDIDN-TGET1 for anyone who wants to go for it themselves).

Forums seem to indicate the bulk of the pvp issues are that there isn't any real incentive to defend in Fusang, but rather just attack... and that consumables take one type of currency (Black Tokens) that's rare instead of an easier and plentiful one (White Tokens). I'm sure both will be addressable pretty easily by the devs ;). Some complain of TTK being too quick thanks to high spike damage, but that too is a non-fundamental problem but rather one that can be adjusted to get right.

I had the same error for a long time yesterday and I eventually just broke down and bought it straight from funcom :(

Any [H] members have a cabal that's welcoming to newbies? :)

do not level healing first unless you are always duoing with someone, make a build that you can solo with first then start branching out into tank, heal, or DPS.

you can follow the pre-built decks or use them to get an idea of how/why they are constructed, then build your own custom deck

just keep in mind that all the pre-built decks are not necessarily great for soloing, but you won't really find out whether the deck you're using is sufficient for soloing until Blue Mountain the third zone in TSW

I can provide a link to the solo build I've been using up through the 5th zone of TSW if you want to get some ideas

some general tips to deck building is that you should eventually be using two focuses. You can start out using 1 through the first zone to get more comfortable with the play style, then add a second focus after you have a better understanding of what might compliment the first focus you chose.

you should only be using 2 dual resource builders at most (having only 1 is perfectly fine) and fill the rest with utility skills, resource consumers, CD skills, or heals. since you only have 7 skill slots available, make sure whatever skills you choose have good reason to be there and are not being underutilized and wasting a skill slot.

I'm following Aela's survival blade/fist survival guide atm. Haven't decided if i want to main a healer/tank/dps first...I'm still getting my ass kicked left and right such as the mass graves quest in Kingsmouth. Not sure if I just have really really shitty gear or what. =/

Also, I had an AR/blood char and AR just felt....clunky. Does anyone else feel that way?

I had the same error for a long time yesterday and I eventually just broke down and bought it straight from funcom :(

Any [H] members have a cabal that's welcoming to newbies? :)

Thanks.... yeah, I still have no email back from GMG, may just use some amazon credit I have to get it if they don't respond soon.

Regarding builds, do not make a pure single class builds or you will get your ass handed to you every single time. Always make a hybrid from the get go. If you want to be a healer, mix it with a few passive mitigation/reflect abilities. As a healer you won't be able to outheal or outdamage your target with a pure build. You want to have abilities that reflect a % your target's attack back or convert them as stacking defense.

As an example my tank has a few reflect damage and convert to heal passives. If I build with all tanking actives/passives my char is not able to dish out enough damage to outlast mobs. So a large part of my tanks dps is actually from reflected damage and a large part of survivability is from damage received converted to heal.

So how are you guys planning builds, or rather, how are you allocating AP/SP?

solo build I've been using: http://www.tsw-builder.com/#64v650602424606440411452p332403421441405603605

core of the build is using Ignition, Bloodshot, Molten Earth, and Combust as active skills and Rapid Combustion as a passive skill to maintain range and have a lot of mobility to work with

most skills with casts cause your character to slow down in movement while casting, but the only skill in my build that causes slow movement speed is Combust and that is primarily used in conjunction with Molten Earth which causes a Hinder effect which roots a target, so it's generally not an issue with Combust unless the target can't be Hindered.

the Open Veins skill slot can be changed to whatever you want or need it to be depending on what you're fighting. Open Veins is useful for kiting multi mob packs since it doesn't have a movement speed penalty while casting.

pretty sure there are higher DPS solo builds out there, but if you want a mix of decent DPS and high mobility, the build does a pretty good job of getting hit by melee to a minimum and killing stuff

video of me using the build in Egypt (4th TSW zone): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOnZOXGqmhM

TSW-Builder is a good link for looking at skills. I found it better than most of the java or flash skill wheels out of game.
I am using a blade/pistols build and have had no problems so far. Good up close melee/range dps with some good healing from passive skills. Also remember you can take some skills from other trees early on that only cost a point or two to get some heals back while fighting without worrying about using the weapon of that tree.

Why does it feel like the characters are moonwalking forwards on a sheet of ice. Also strafing forward-sideways looks like an awkward moonwalk as well.

...it's irritating me.

Well, greenman gaming emailed me back and I was able to get the discount! I have entered my key and am going to go play shortly..... Game client fully downloaded. Anyone know how long lifetime is available for? I remember reading it would be a while after launch but I don't want to miss it if I love this game.

Well, greenman gaming emailed me back and I was able to get the discount! I have entered my key and am going to go play shortly..... Game client fully downloaded. Anyone know how long lifetime is available for? I remember reading it would be a while after launch but I don't want to miss it if I love this game.

I enjoy playing TSW, but I'd suggest being wary of purchasing a lifetime sub

imo, TSW is currently much more about the journey than the destination. the game would have been good enough as a story focused single player RPG. funny thing is that it might have received more attention from people if it was a non-MMO RPG that allowed multiplayer grouping for only instances, but since it's a MMO, it obviously gets compared to other MMOs and receives low attention due to minimal hype

if FunCom can deliver good monthly content updates, then I can see the lifetime sub being worth it though. the first monthly content update is expected near the end of July, so we'll see how much is added to the game in the first update.

current end game is typical MMO fare of running higher difficulty dungeons for gear or PvPing. I doubt FunCom will tune their new dungeons/raids to be as difficult as WoW's too, so I think the higher skilled/geared players in TSW will have new end-game content on farm fairly quick.

you can play dress up and role play too (the game definitely attracts an older generation of gamer), but I don't care much for that stuff.

Last edited:
finished the entire main story chain..well done..on par with swtor class story chain..enjoyed them both equally

now i sit here and wonder what to do since i'm in QL10 purple pvp gear..i can grind nightmare mode dungeons but it doesn't 'do it' for me

great, i just beat another mmo

btw, no auction house on day one of release is sad and pathetic (still no auction house)

I thought I read that there will be new content almost every end of month.

Can anyone post the patch notes from today?? I'm almost done with Blue Mountain, so far im still enjoying it.

Back