The Secret World

slugl1fe

Limp Gawd
Who is playing now that the game has launched? What server are you on? Thoughts on the game?

Proceed..

Looking forward to getting it when I can. Not heard about whether it's as shaky as AoC was on launch, but I do hear it's a very innovative and entertaining and well executed go at the genre.

Story is awesome. The quests actually have you thinking, hell I've had to use google to look up Bible references.

The downside to the game is the combat. I'm coming from Age of Conan which had a very dynamic combat system. This games combat feels dull in comparison. The story does make up for it though. Oh and the graphics really are impressive.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/...s_host_exclusive_live_stream_friday_july_13th

Tomorrow, Friday July 13th, Creative Director and Senior Producer Ragnar Tørnquist and Lead Content Designer Joel Bylos will defy all superstition and host an exclusive live stream of The Secret World.

The stream will start at 5pm CET (11am EST / 8am PST) and will be hosted on TheSecretWorld channel on Twitch.TV. During the event, the two lead developers will play select parts of ‘The Secret World’ and offer unique insight into the game and the development process.

i have it..its very very good...they should win an award for the best quests ever in an mmo...new, exciting, great immersion modern day environment

someone posted in the beta thread it could very well be a sleeper hit..i totally agree

I'm liking it a lot when I get time to play (not as much as I'd like).

The atmosphere is great, the visuals are good and it's different enough to keep my attention in the world of MMO WoW Clones.

There are quests that will require you to actually THINK and use your brain a hell of a lot more than WoW ever did. Listen to every NPC, read every quest item you get and LOOK around for clues.

They dont spoon feed you, thats for sure.

The skill system is still boggling me to find a mix I like and is effective. Trying to find 2 weapons that have good synergy that I like to use has been tough at best. Blades/Blood is fun, but not sure how it will work long term, esp for my soloing with my limited playtime.

it's well worth the 50 dollar investment and the first 30 days of gametime. yes it's a monthly subscription mmo, but there's a solid 6 days worth of playtime available right now; that's a lot of entertainment per dollar.

it's well worth the 50 dollar investment and the first 30 days of gametime. yes it's a monthly subscription mmo, but there's a solid 6 days worth of playtime available right now; that's a lot of entertainment per dollar.

That's what I've gotten during the closed beta. You can do quite a bit in a few days. The game definitely is worth the $50. It's different than other MMOs I've played, and I like that.

Here's my little review on the game I posted on gamespot:

I was totally surprised by this game.

I have gotten so tired of MMO's. I've played mmo's since UO(which I loved, nothing like it) and EQ . Everything from Asherons call to WoW, to SWG, SWTOR, Warhammer, Tera, etc.

Most of them play the same basic formula that EQ started with. The Trinity focused lv based mmo "carrot on a stick" routine, chasing uber gear to kill bigger things to get better uber gear, rinse and repeat.

Even SW:TOR, which was touted as a story-focused mmo did this.

TSW on the other hand, while it DOES have your generic mmo style "go kill x " quests it does a LOT of things better/different and makes for one of the most enjoyable mmo's I've played in a long time.

If you love adventure games (IE Syberia, The Longest Journey, Gabriel Knight , etc) you will find this the most appealing mmo to date. It has a lot in common with adventure games. Some great detective style missions and puzzles to solve that reward you for thinking and not simply giving you a waypoint to "x."

Also the Storylines, characters, and writing are pretty decent. It's in a big part thanks to Ragnar (who wrote both The Longest Journey and Dreamfall). I have never before found myself in an MMO really "caring" about the story or playing the game because of the story and wanting to "find out" what happens. In many mmo's the storyline is an afterthought, just window dressing for generic quests.

However in TSW the story is front and center. Characters are fully voiced (with some great VO, even some GREAT cameo's by horror actors like Jeffrey Combs (Re-animator). There are a LOT of well done "horror" nods, everything from some Lovecraft style inspired monsters to tongue in cheek horror nods like street names (Elm street) and playful jabs from voice actors.

The atmosphere of the game is top notch, easily sets itself apart from any other mmo out there with it's modern setting and horror theme.

The combat is however as said, the low point. However if you've EVEE played an mmo it's pretty much the same. I don't get why GS knocks it down for combat yet doesn't for WoW and other mmo's.

The thing that helps TSW in regards to character building is the skill/ability wheel. You can Sp/AP at the same rate throughout the game (This is why rerolling doesn't really have a point, as there's no cap to it either). You are encouraged to experiment to find what skills/abilites you like/want. Infact you will definitely want at least TWO weapon skill sets (the way combat works if you are only using one weapon you are missing out on a LOT of dmg that comes with having two weapons equipped). Since it's not lv based and you gain sp/ap at the smae rate the way they balance it is simply by having higher tier skills cost more sp/ap.

overall I'm having the most fun with this mmo out of any mmo since the early mmo days when they were new. Yes Combat is lackluster (Tera set the bar high but failed at everything else) but everything else is great.

Bug wise I do not get why people aren't commenting about launch. Yes there are some bugs, but most, if not all, can be resolved with a simple instance switch (just ask someone to invite to group to switch instances to theirs) or a gm petition. Apart from these the launch of TSW has been remarkably smooth. No huge lag problems, no big server down time, etc. Far more smooth then AoC or even WoW's launch

This strikes me as one of those MMOs that has some really good ideas for a traditional game, and is horribly let down by the nature of its MMO underpinnings. Like, the premise alone could really get me interested in it if it was a more traditional RPG, but as an MMO, I'm just not gonna touch it.

after being involved in the horror show that was AoC open beta/early retail release, i am staying far away from this one.

I actually thought a quest was bugged but it was me not figuring it out.

sat there for 20 min waiting for the bird only to go look at a youtube video (ingame browser) and then proceed to smack myself upside the head.

I'd be down to try this, but I literally know nothing about it, and am incredibly ignorant to read anything about it for some reason. As a WoW player since launch, and having dabbled in SWTOR (oh god), as well as Guild Wars, what's this like in the traditional MMO sense? Is it anything like them? What's combat like? What's the point of the game? Why should an MMO fan get this? Why should a gamer get this? Is it worth the $50 + subscription? Question, questions.

I'd be down to try this, but I literally know nothing about it, and am incredibly ignorant to read anything about it for some reason. As a WoW player since launch, and having dabbled in SWTOR (oh god), as well as Guild Wars, what's this like in the traditional MMO sense? Is it anything like them? What's combat like? What's the point of the game? Why should an MMO fan get this? Why should a gamer get this? Is it worth the $50 + subscription? Question, questions.

Combat is real time, not click and wait so you have to constantly be button mashing. Alot of the attacks are combo based, like rogues but the fun part is you can mix up the combos with other weapons and attacks. So some attacks place combo points on the enemy and others place combo points on you. There's a huge skill tree and it's pretty lengthy. There's no level system but rather an AP and SP system. You have an XP bar and everytime you hit a blue square or orange square on the bar you gain one of those points. This continues the entire game until you max out everything. Your gear can only be upgraded if you attain the proper skill point so a character could have every skill unlocked and an amazing weapon but if he put no skill points into different armor pieces his HP and defense is going to suck thus a glass cannon until he continues to max out his other skills. It's a fun game and the environments are great. $50 is a little steep IMO but I wouldn't mind paying a subscription. I bought it because money isn't an issue for me but for some I would maybe wait and snag it for less. Unless your desperate to play something now.

I gave away my "buddy key" already, but try to get one from someone and try it. :D

You'll see typical MMO things here and there, but just be prepared for something very different from any other MMO in some other respects. ;)

I've learned to stay away from everything FUNCOM. Will TSW last more than a month or two?

I gave away my "buddy key" already, but try to get one from someone and try it. :D

You'll see typical MMO things here and there, but just be prepared for something very different from any other MMO in some other respects. ;)

What's the combat like? What's the deal with the game? Do you like it?

EDIT: I just saw some videos and read a few things real quick, and I have to say...wow, this actually looks like a possible purchase for me. The atmosphere and world look very interesting and the plot makes me want to actually see what it's all about. Zombies and other shit? Hell yeah. Guns? I love guns!

The movements of the characters look kind of floaty and clunky though, but that might be just me. Various sites are saying that it's worth playing, so they can't all be wrong. Anyone happen to have one of these keys for me to try? I'd appreciate it!

Last edited:
Movement is very smooth, almost WOW like but probably the best comparison is Anarchy Online.

Movement is very smooth, almost WOW like but probably the best comparison is Anarchy Online.

Alright, that sounds doable, I liked Anarchy Online for the brief time I played it. Damn, I'm itching to try this, but would really prefer to try it before I buy it. Can't be too sure.

What's the combat like? What's the deal with the game? Do you like it?

EDIT: I just saw some videos and read a few things real quick, and I have to say...wow, this actually looks like a possible purchase for me. The atmosphere and world look very interesting and the plot makes me want to actually see what it's all about. Zombies and other shit? Hell yeah. Guns? I love guns!

The movements of the characters look kind of floaty and clunky though, but that might be just me. Various sites are saying that it's worth playing, so they can't all be wrong. Anyone happen to have one of these keys for me to try? I'd appreciate it!

Giantbomb Quicklook for The Secret World

I always look to these to get a sense of the game better than any review can give.

I just tried a 24 hour buddy pass i got from a hard forum user and i have to say i'm quite interested. I may consider buying it. Just kind of weird timing cuz i already pre-purchased guild wars 2 which comes out soon .. = \ But i actually liked some things a lot more about TSW than GW2. then some things i liked better in GW2 so its a toss up.

If we're begging for buddy keys I'm in for any going spare. In the meantime I'll get back into AoC. :p

If we're begging for buddy keys I'm in for any going spare. In the meantime I'll get back into AoC. :p

Y'know, I liked Age of Conan, maybe we're alone here, but it was just damn awesome. I couldn't get ANYONE to play with me when I got it. I got it on one of those low-price deals on the site, downloaded it, got the free mammoth mount or w/e the hell it was, and was on my way. The graphics were fantastic and the solo-instancing missions in day + night were awesome, though to be honest, looking back at it, it wasn't very MMO'ish, it was still more like SWTOR today. At least SWTOR had people running around...

I picked this up 3 days ago and after finding a good build for myself I am finding this very enjoyable. The beginning zone with the zombie style area is kind of RPGish instead of MMOish but I feel it is a good thing.
The quest's or assignments are fun and some of them have me thinking a lot more than any other MMO has done(kind of why it seemed RPGish).
If you get a chance to do the mission in the basement of the museum you will see a gameplay twist that no other MMO has pulled off yet.

I decided to pick up the game yesterday figured its worth at least a months play time before GW2 and we'll see if im still hooked after a month or not, seems like i cant play more than like 3 to 4 hours at a time without getting dizzy though lol. I did get some nice Mods and change some interface stuff and text size to help.

I picked this up 3 days ago and after finding a good build for myself I am finding this very enjoyable. The beginning zone with the zombie style area is kind of RPGish instead of MMOish but I feel it is a good thing.
The quest's or assignments are fun and some of them have me thinking a lot more than any other MMO has done(kind of why it seemed RPGish).
If you get a chance to do the mission in the basement of the museum you will see a gameplay twist that no other MMO has pulled off yet.

The museum is in Kingsmouth? i havent found it and i cleared most of kingsmouth. where is it by?

You got there as one of your first quests to get the security cams.

This is how it came to my attention. If you did not do the security camera missions then you might have missed it. It is one of those solo instance missions.

Anyone tried out the RVR-type zones yet? It's hard to sift through the noise in the pvp forums on the official site... I played in the closed beta for this awhile ago but I didn't get to play & test as much as I'd have liked due to RL. The game itself and the skill wheel setup I thought were awesome...

Back