• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

The Secret World

I don't think other than full-on 20-hour-a-day 7-days-a-week players that even hardcore players will "finish" the game terribly quickly, plus there's plenty of stuff including Fusang to keep you occupied until the monthly issues start hitting with new content (including the one coming on the 31st, which (yay!) includes the auction house's return with better functionality since it was removed shortly post-launch). The first monthly issue alone includes a few new Nightmare mode dungeon versions and a buncha quests + other stuff.


As a "hardcore" or fairly harder-core player myself, I disagree. I've been playing around 8 hours a day for the last 6 days including today, and am not even very far into Blue Mountain yet. That's one of the earlier zones for people wondering. I'm guessing I'll be another few times this playtime before I could reach endgame (though I'll probably slow my play a little soon), and obviously at endgame there's a nice amount of PVP to be had in Fusang, plus there will be several Nightmare dungeons and other things to do still (more XP for spec points, trying new weapon setups or roles, farming for money,

Lore exploration, achievements, finishing out quests in the zones that I missed, etc.) even if I cap out on gear. Plus a raid is coming soon as well as a PVP dungeon (which should be fun stuff if it's any good!!). I think even us harder-core players have plenty to chew on with this game, and if you are a normal or casual player, you're going to have plenty to do for ages to come.

No the game is f'n short. Not a bad game but very disappointed how damn short it is.. I have about 3 days of "played" time /played and im almost to Transvalyania the last f'n zone. im wearing all QL8 with some QL9 and QL10. ive done all the dungeons so far that i can actually do just started doing pvp to give the game some length but i can tell ill be about done withe game in one week or two tops, so 1 Month of full play time and you beat this game.. which i guess is good since ill move on to guild wars 2 but it was worth the 1 month journey.
 
No the game is f'n short. Not a bad game but very disappointed how damn short it is.. I have about 3 days of "played" time /played and im almost to Transvalyania the last f'n zone. im wearing all QL8 with some QL9 and QL10. ive done all the dungeons so far that i can actually do just started doing pvp to give the game some length but i can tell ill be about done withe game in one week or two tops, so 1 Month of full play time and you beat this game.. which i guess is good since ill move on to guild wars 2 but it was worth the 1 month journey.

Well that's kind of disappointing, I was hoping it was a little more than that. Hopefully those content patches they talked about will make it worthwhile. Was considering picking this up today for a friend and myself. Not sure now.
 
I don't have the game but 3 days played is 72 hours.
Imo that's ALOT of gameplay, we're happy with 30 hours for SP games this gives you more than double and you're not done, let's say you rush it and end at 80 hours, that's pretty good.

I can go from 0 to 85 in about that amount of time on WoW and that includes 3 xpacks.
 
Just scares me to think it could be another SWTOR fluke. I really can't handle that shit again.
 
Its a fun game and i dont regret my purchase of 49.99 for 1 free month of game play its worth it. But at the moment i dont see months of game time worth it. But completely enjoyed my experience so far so ill finish out prob the next two weeks what there is and move on.. This game will Definitely be Free to play sooner than later the writing is on the wall so if u dont have the money now just wait and check it out later.but if 50 bux is no biggie than buy it and pretend its like an xbox 360 game enjoy it for 80 hours or so and move on. If they dont create new zones its going to be a bust and i read some article about how they may not add "NEW zones" just add new content, new missions and quests and the current zones that exist and to me that is Fail boat lol.. i like the game now becuz its so new going to a new zone and exploring it and being like wow this is f'n cool check this out and the new dungeons i dont want to repeat the same crap with a different mission. they give you tons of skill points and ability points too so u can pretty much max out a bunch of weapons in 1 months time. im max pistol, blade and blood magic with my talismens pretty much max in 72 hours.
 
Its a fun game and i dont regret my purchase of 49.99 for 1 free month of game play its worth it. But at the moment i dont see months of game time worth it. But completely enjoyed my experience so far so ill finish out prob the next two weeks what there is and move on.. This game will Definitely be Free to play sooner than later the writing is on the wall so if u dont have the money now just wait and check it out later.but if 50 bux is no biggie than buy it and pretend its like an xbox 360 game enjoy it for 80 hours or so and move on. If they dont create new zones its going to be a bust and i read some article about how they may not add "NEW zones" just add new content, new missions and quests and the current zones that exist and to me that is Fail boat lol.. i like the game now becuz its so new going to a new zone and exploring it and being like wow this is f'n cool check this out and the new dungeons i dont want to repeat the same crap with a different mission. they give you tons of skill points and ability points too so u can pretty much max out a bunch of weapons in 1 months time. im max pistol, blade and blood magic with my talismens pretty much max in 72 hours.

My eyes. They hurt after reading this.
 
they give you tons of skill points and ability points too so u can pretty much max out a bunch of weapons in 1 months time. im max pistol, blade and blood magic with my talismens pretty much max in 72 hours.

The case I make is this game is not your normal MMO. This is a niche MMO game. You only have 3 weapons at this point in your 72 hours and that is fine. There are 9 weapons total at this time. Some people will look at, well I maxed my weapons that I use in the game, I am done. This goes against what the game is designed for, but it depends on your play style.
For people that want to do everything in the game like myself, we will be working on maxing everything out so I can choose whatever roll I want at any given time. I have been playing the game for 3 weeks and I am about 16% of the way through the wheel. You can see my character here. Chronicle I am unsure as to what my play time is, I haven't bothered to check.
I only play for about 2 hours a night, sometimes 3, about 3 times during the week. Weekends, I will play for a lot longer though.

I have also went through and found all the Lore in the three cities and in the beginning zone. I have not even made it out of The Savage Coast yet and I like that I haven't. I am not in a rush to get all the dungeons done yet.
I realize I do not play the same as a lot of MMO players but there are a lot of other people that are playing like I am also. So hopefully after awhile the game will catch up to the faster players and will give them more to play with.
Myself, I went with the lifetime subscriber since I know I will stop playing for awhile and pick it up again later after I am done playing games like GTAV or something in the next year or so. I did the same thing with AO.

Edit- Also forgot to mention that I have two alts so I can see the other stories. I haven't really done anything with them yet though. Just started doing quests in the first zone.
 
Last edited:
Just scares me to think it could be another SWTOR fluke. I really can't handle that shit again.

i had more fun with swtor overall then this game..both played for 30 days..60 bucks for both..

i got 40 bucks worth of fun out of swtor...i got 30 bucks worth out of tsw


both are now deleted from my hard drive as i await gw2 (which i was gonna skip but saw a few vids that changed my mind0


NEXT !!!
 
New update is out, 7 new missions, 2 new nightmare dungeons, plus the marketplace (Auction house) among bug fixes and things.
 
Hey guys, I'm really excited about this game after reading the first 3 pages of this thread and the little bit of info on the game's main website. Does anyone have a buddy pass that they can hook a brotha up with?

I have two daughters, nine and thirteen years old. How is the game as far as nudity and gore? To give you an example my 9yo has watched me play the entire God of War series but she isn't allowed to watch me play Saints Row the Third, Max Payne 3 or Lollipop Chainsaw. She plays Wizard 101 and my 13yo plays WoW and L4D2 (a lot of that), so I think this might be cool to play with them. What do you guys think? I'm going to try and watch some videos later on to get a better idea but I figured I'd ask here for the quick answer.
 
tesfoye, there's ALOT of the use of the 'F" word

i wouldn't let a 9 year old near this thing pal

go get aion..its f2p and gorgeous fantasy world...more women play that game..your girls will love it
 
Last edited:
I don't have the game but 3 days played is 72 hours.
Imo that's ALOT of gameplay, we're happy with 30 hours for SP games this gives you more than double and you're not done, let's say you rush it and end at 80 hours, that's pretty good.

I can go from 0 to 85 in about that amount of time on WoW and that includes 3 xpacks.

I'm about to finish the first major story arc which is about 1/3 of the main story, and I'm over ~2.5 days (60 hours) /played handily on that character. I've mixed in some PVP and obviously have done a good # of side quests. I'm now re-rolling to go to a different server for better Fusang PVP, as well as re-do my build (I know I earn XP at the same rate but it made sense to roll a new toon since I wanted to have a better Fusang pvp community).

I'm guessing I'll be at least 200 hours by the time I finish the main story quest arc in Transylvania later on, and of course far more with endgame dungeons, having fun in Fusang, doing the instanced PVP, and endgame quests + crafting + merchanting on the Auction House. By the time I'm decked out it'll probably be another couple of months, and by then they'll be another couple of major patches in with new content etc. They already just added a good # of extra "lengthy" type quests in 1.1, the Auction House back & improved, 2 new Nightmare dungeons, and a whole ton of other things.

This definitely is not a SWTOR :D, and I'm happy to say that. I'm *THIS* close to buying a lifetime sub.

Not to harp on GW2 vs. TSW but TSW is definitely a meatier game, both in gameplay mechanics and content available for PVE (and frankly, to an extent, PVP.... the 2-week cycle in GW2 will suck as it just resets arbitrarily, and once one World/server gets ahead enough the others literally can't win, plus bonuses are staggered instead of immediate.... Fusang isn't perfect but it's a fun system). The gameplay + spec system is MUCH more fun for me, and PVE it beats GW2 into a bloody pulp on.

Your mileage may vary....!
 
Last edited:
I just picked it up and installing the 1.1 patch. I know there aren't "servers" per say but for PvP purposes where is everyone? Or does that even matter still?
 
TSW is a casual, "take your time" sort of game really.

Dont rush, enjoy the ambience, listen to the stories and read the lore.

I've been playing since launch now and I'm maybe halfway through exploring Scarlet Coast.

Some people like to rush through to the endgame, but TSW is a game best enjoyed at a slower pace I think. I'm hoping they manage monthly content updates at least on par with how Trion did it for Rift.

I'm having a blast with it personally.
 
I just picked it up and installing the 1.1 patch. I know there aren't "servers" per say but for PvP purposes where is everyone? Or does that even matter still?

The only thing your server choice matters for is Fusang, the non-instanced PVP zone. Everything else can be done cross-server by grouping with people, including guilding :), be it instanced PVP, dungeons, trading, etc. etc.

One other thing is, unlike many prior MMO's, I'd say 80% of the quests are fairly intricate and more closely resemble single-player game missions than typical "go kill 5 guys and return to me" sort of ones. A lot of them have entertaining voiceover/cinematics as well. I'm having a blast with it, and I'm someone who likes PVP far far more than PVE.

Also, most mobs have their own individual attack types and methods... you can dodge a lot of attacks, even melee ones (not ones that are telegraphed AOE's), by watching their animation and simply moving at the right time, or by using the jump-dodge key to get out of an area. Many require different tactics than others, including just getting you outright killed brutally if you try to treat them the wrong way. Combat including combos, interactions between abilities & passives, etc. is MUCH more intricate than it first appears.
 
Last edited:
tesfoye, there's ALOT of the use of the 'F" word

i wouldn't let a 9 year old near this thing pal

go get aion..its f2p and gorgeous fantasy world...more women play that game..your girls will love it
Thanks for the heads up. Sheeeit, I couldn't get into Aion during the beta, so I think the girls are on their own for now. I'm paying for enough software subscriptions as it is! :) But this did seem like it might be worth the $150 startup cost. However, I'm okay with only having to shell out $50 now!
 
Hey guys, I'm really excited about this game after reading the first 3 pages of this thread and the little bit of info on the game's main website. Does anyone have a buddy pass that they can hook a brotha up with?

I have two daughters, nine and thirteen years old. How is the game as far as nudity and gore? To give you an example my 9yo has watched me play the entire God of War series but she isn't allowed to watch me play Saints Row the Third, Max Payne 3 or Lollipop Chainsaw. She plays Wizard 101 and my 13yo plays WoW and L4D2 (a lot of that), so I think this might be cool to play with them. What do you guys think? I'm going to try and watch some videos later on to get a better idea but I figured I'd ask here for the quick answer.

I wouldn't let anyone younger than 16 to play this. It's definitely mature, lot's of F bombs and sexual references, even an overtly lesbian conversation between npcs. Also since the game is very loose on clothing choices most female PCs look like Vivid models.

As far as buddy pass, this coming weekend is free for the first two zones.
 
Thanks for the heads up. Sheeeit, I couldn't get into Aion during the beta, so I think the girls are on their own for now. I'm paying for enough software subscriptions as it is! :) But this did seem like it might be worth the $150 startup cost. However, I'm okay with only having to shell out $50 now!

Aion is F2P meaning all the content is free including the base game. If you want a swimsuit on your character, cute pets, etc you'd have to pay. But you can run all the dungeons, pvp, leveling, etc for free.

http://truly-free.aiononline.com/
 
Have there been any discounts on the main game? I did want to try this but since it has a subscription fee I really don't want to spend $50 again on a MMO that might bore me to tears and have to shell out $15 a month until I decide I'm through with it. Pacing myself in $15 increments makes more fiscal sense to me these days in accordance with my new MMO attention span. Long gone are the days of 700 days /played. :)
 
patching now, forgot to patch earlier today owell... Yes this game is too dark and grim for kids. Also I see they added new missions buts its disappointing the new missions are in old Zones, so you have to back travel to old zones for new missions, that is kind of lame. They need to develop new zones with new missions. Oh well, I'll enjoy the game for the next few more weeks of course I'll always resub if some new stuff is well worth it or if it goes free to play but right now i may be good with only playing 1 or 2 months tops.


here is my character for now http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Tweakor only played about close to 3 days game time.
 
patching now, forgot to patch earlier today owell... Yes this game is too dark and grim for kids. Also I see they added new missions buts its disappointing the new missions are in old Zones, so you have to back travel to old zones for new missions, that is kind of lame. They need to develop new zones with new missions. Oh well, I'll enjoy the game for the next few more weeks of course I'll always resub if some new stuff is well worth it or if it goes free to play but right now i may be good with only playing 1 or 2 months tops.


here is my character for now http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Tweakor only played about close to 3 days game time.

They will be... they just added new dungeons this 1.1 patch for endgame, a raid is coming, a pvp-based dungeon is coming, etc. I'm sure new zones will come with time. Game's barely out the door :D.
 
Loving the game so far. The atmosphere and the story seem pretty damn good so far.
 
I'm not taking the time to read that rather lengthy review, but most site reviews of MMO's are laughably inaccurate and ill-informed. I will say the game is great, though :D, as I have previously.
 
His attitude towards most of it is a little off but overall for someone blasting their way through the game, I can see it is somewhat on track. For someone that engages in the story and take the time to see it all, it is way off base.
I do not see why he thinks the combat is lacking though. It is better combat that i have seen in most MMO's.
 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world

it says a lot that average player reviews are +13 points higher than average critic reviews imo

TSW isn't a perfect game, is and should not be considered and played like a WoW replacement, but it is much better than most reviewers have scored it.

imo TSW is around a 8/10 and score increases/decreases depending on FunCom's patch/content releases. FunCom's latest update has introduced a # of bugs though and some that really need to be fixed ASAP.
 
Its not a flawless game (no game is), but I think it offers something different from the fantasy "WoW" type MMO. It's a nice, slow paced, story rich game. If you rush into it and try to blow through it all to get to the endgame, then you'll miss out on some of the best stuff I think.

Here's another review, that also while not "raving", is a bit more informed than the PCG one was.

http://kotaku.com/5930694/the-secret-world-the-kotaku-review

Free weekend this coming weekend, give it a try.
 
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world

it says a lot that average player reviews are +13 points higher than average critic reviews imo

TSW isn't a perfect game, is and should not be considered and played like a WoW replacement, but it is much better than most reviewers have scored it.

imo TSW is around a 8/10 and score increases/decreases depending on FunCom's patch/content releases. FunCom's latest update has introduced a # of bugs though and some that really need to be fixed ASAP.

Yeah, I would definitely go off of user reviews than the critics reviews. Did you see the review ratings on Diablo III? lol. I would not be listening to the critics on that one.
 
im still enjoying it my first month is up 8/15. I might actually pay for the second month but if their is not a ton of new stuff after month 2 i'll prob be spent.
 
im still enjoying it my first month is up 8/15. I might actually pay for the second month but if their is not a ton of new stuff after month 2 i'll prob be spent.

You won't see another large update til end of August. Remember major updates are every end of month. A bit of a catch-22 isn't it? You won't see the update at the end of the month if you don't resub in the middle of the month.
 
You won't see another large update til end of August. Remember major updates are every end of month. A bit of a catch-22 isn't it? You won't see the update at the end of the month if you don't resub in the middle of the month.

Worst case, let the sub run out, wait until the press release a week or so later, then decide to resub. Most can live out that week without I expect. (I prolly couldn't though). :p

Some of the new missions they just added are wicked. Wicked as in "evil" in how much they make you think and investigate to finish them. I've never loved evil so much, other than perhaps Dungeon Keeper. :D
 
Been running some Fusang for fun and black marks.... Quite fun. Just got to Egypt on my reroll, in ql6 gear, and having fun. Looks great visually too!

PS . If you reach dawning of an endless night tier 18 and don't know how to say yes or no, look at forums first. I was overlooking how to choose properly and went a different way than I had wanted haha.
 
When this goes F2P in about six months and several more patches come through, I'll give it another look. Has promise. I say this as someone who hates MMOs.
 
Coming to this from AoC is a bit of a shocker. I've really, really loved the AoC approach to combat but in this it's back to smashing the same hotkeys in the same pattern to build up the same points to be consumed by the same big attack as in every MMO since WoW. I kind of overlooked it in Rift because whatever, but Funcom already had it nailed and then took a step back. The visual style is also a little weird. I can't put my finger on it but nothing looks quite right. It seems a little stylised, but not enough to be called stylised. It's just like all the people and props and scenery are every so slightly strangely proportioned or Toy Story looking in their smoothness and bobble-headedness.

So the combat feels very loose and useless and quite boring and all the rest of it, but the questing is incredibly well designed. I'm still only in Kingsmouth and I've come across a couple of bugged quests and one really pissing annoying one where I have to free a guy from a bear trap and then get mobbed by a dozen enemies in a 50 yard run, but otherwise they're really fun to do. It's more like playing a viral publicity thing, like Halo's ilovebees or such, than traditional MMO questing. But as someone in the general chat pointed out last night, the game basically feels like a singleplayer game like The Longest Journey, except you can see other people running around playing the same game.

I guess for me it's more important to feel challenged when actually playing the game, which is why I despise WoW and all similar MMOs that take the same approach with combat.
 
Last edited:
Ya if you like to duo the solo instances are really going to piss you off.l
 
Ya if you like to duo the solo instances are really going to piss you off.l

There aren't that many of them, just for some quests (sparse numbers) and some of the main story (which is designed to be done solo both in way the instances work, and difficulty).

When this goes F2P in about six months and several more patches come through, I'll give it another look. Has promise. I say this as someone who hates MMOs.

Very cute. Unfortunately for you, the only game I can think of that went F2P that fast is SWTOR (and it's not actually hitting "F2P" for another few months, just has been announced) and that game was an abysmal tragedy. TSW is a solid MMO, better than AOC by a significant margin which didn't go F2P for years.

Coming to this from AoC is a bit of a shocker. I've really, really loved the AoC approach to combat but in this it's back to smashing the same hotkeys in the same pattern to build up the same points to be consumed by the same big attack as in every MMO since WoW. I kind of overlooked it in Rift because whatever, but Funcom already had it nailed and then took a step back. The visual style is also a little weird. I can't put my finger on it but nothing looks quite right. It seems a little stylised, but not enough to be called stylised. It's just like all the people and props and scenery are every so slightly strangely proportioned or Toy Story looking in their smoothness and bobble-headedness.

So the combat feels very loose and useless and quite boring and all the rest of it, but the questing is incredibly well designed. I'm still only in Kingsmouth and I've come across a couple of bugged quests and one really pissing annoying one where I have to free a guy from a bear trap and then get mobbed by a dozen enemies in a 50 yard run, but otherwise they're really fun to do. It's more like playing a viral publicity thing, like Halo's ilovebees or such, than traditional MMO questing. But as someone in the general chat pointed out last night, the game basically feels like a singleplayer game like The Longest Journey, except you can see other people running around playing the same game.

I guess for me it's more important to feel challenged when actually playing the game, which is why I despise WoW and all similar MMOs that take the same approach with combat.

Combat gets more complex the further you go... you're in the introduction areas. It is mostly hot-button based but there is a dodge key that actually is needed in some encounters, and plenty of "tells" to dodge special attacks that both do and don't have cast bars, let alone having any aoe notification circle on the ground as some obvious ones do. With how the passives & actives synergize it becomes relatively complex, especially in PVP countering. It's not an action MMO, but there are only a handful of those that have commercially launched anyway and none that did well as far as I am aware.

As far as MMO community feeling, again, you're in the first hour of the game, get a few hours in and there are dungeons to do, group quests, PVP instances & Fusang (I wouldn't recommend going in until QL5-6 though, and even then it's rough as heck against most QL10 people), etc. etc. as well as investigation missions etc. that are quite involved. Both servers I have played on (Huldra and Cerberus) have been very lively and MMO-ish in community, whereas with SWTOR it truly was a singleplayer game with other people running around essentially.

At/toward endgame there are even open-world lairs/minidungeons to farm/bosses in them, as well as Fusang of course for non-instanced PVP, auction house in cities (with actual people in them! GASP!), etc., and the community still remains lively just as it does during the run up. I'm only just into Egypt a little ways but I went through to its start once before also before rerolling servers.

No MMO is perfect, nor is TSW... but TSW is one of the most solid, best overall, MMO's to have come out in several years now. The last games I could truly say that about were RIFT (which remains financially successful and still has a good number of active, populated servers, plus a paid expansion coming shortly), and uh.... I can't really think of any others, though I might include WOW if I had played it before trying BC out early-midway into it for a bit.
 
Very cute.

Wasn't trying to be. You've been pretty defensive lately I've noticed. Relax! :)

Unfortunately for you,

I couldn't care less. I have nothing invested in this whatsoever.


...the only game I can think of that went F2P that fast is SWTOR (and it's not actually hitting "F2P" for another few months, just has been announced) and that game was an abysmal tragedy. TSW is a solid MMO, better than AOC by a significant margin which didn't go F2P for years.

Fair enough. I still think it'll happen faster than you do and I think it'll be for larger, overall market factors past the points you made here.

Like I said: As someone who hates MMOs, even I like what I saw enough to keep tabs on this. That's high praise coming from me. ;)
 
Last edited:
Wasn't trying to be. You've been pretty defensive lately I've noticed. Relax! :)

I couldn't care less. I have nothing invested in this whatsoever.

Fair enough. I still think it'll happen faster than you do and I think it'll be for larger, overall market factors past the points you made here.

Like I said: As someone who hates MMOs, even I like what I saw enough to keep tabs on this. That's high praise coming from me. ;)

Heh, sorry, caught me on a bad day just now :D.

While a lot of people keep predicting that "F2P" is the future, I sincerely doubt it. Even so-called "F2P" games require fees to access most content, regardless, and often more than a subscription would cost overall. People are willing and able to pay $10-15 a month for a good service, and they do so in droves at this time including for WOW. The problem some recent MMO's have run into of course, is that they used gigantic, out-of-this-world sized budgets and expectations when making their games, instead of a reasonable financial model *cough*SWTOR*cough*, and thus can't become profitable otherwise. WOW is and was an anomaly as far as size of subscriber-base so far.

As for your last comment, yeah, that is indeed. :)
 
Heh, sorry, caught me on a bad day just now :D.

You ought to know me better than that by now. :)



While a lot of people keep predicting that "F2P" is the future, I sincerely doubt it. Even so-called "F2P" games require fees to access most content, regardless, and often more than a subscription would cost overall. People are willing and able to pay $10-15 a month for a good service, and they do so in droves at this time including for WOW. The problem some recent MMO's have run into of course, is that they used gigantic, out-of-this-world sized budgets and expectations when making their games, instead of a reasonable financial model *cough*SWTOR*cough*, and thus can't become profitable otherwise. WOW is and was an anomaly as far as size of subscriber-base so far.

As for your last comment, yeah, that is indeed. :)

I'm also looking at Guild Wars 2. :)

Even I know the old rule of thumb about jumping early into any MMO and what you're asking for.

I'm eager to see what a few more patches does for this. The common complaint that I see and share is about the combat. It's all about gameplay for me. If they can improve and tighten up the combat a bit it would really be something special.

I'm cheering for this thing to succeed. I salute it for being fresh and different.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top