The Secret World

I bought this one against my better judgement...What can I say? Burned again. You would have thought by now I would have learned my lesson. It's good if you like the same old MMO. Which I'm just tired of.
 
I bought this one against my better judgement...What can I say? Burned again. You would have thought by now I would have learned my lesson. It's good if you like the same old MMO. Which I'm just tired of.

Interesting, you're the first guy I've seen complaining it's too "same old MMO", most people I see complain it's too different... :confused: ?
 
Welp, im not resubbing. I did the 1 free month. I'm pretty much done with the game content im towards the end of transvanlyia or w/e. I've maxed out, blood, chaos, blade, pistol, head talismen, minor and major talismen and assault riffle is almost maxed. i have a bunch of ability points in blade, blood, chaos, some fist, pistol. wearing all QL9 and QL10. Kind of bored now, pvp'd a lil bit but its kind of lame. It was definitely worth the 49.99 for 1 month of play and about 80 hours of enjoyment, so im ok with that.
 
Interesting, you're the first guy I've seen complaining it's too "same old MMO", most people I see complain it's too different... :confused: ?

Nah, don't get me wrong. It does a lot of things right, it just didnt do it for me.
 
First impressions from me:

Not bad, not bad at all. It's got a good story line, listening to NPCs to get through 5 minutes of dialogue becomes tedious. I think they took the voice overs a bit too far. Maybe not as bad once you get higher up and the back story is understood better.

Combat: Not bad, could be better, but it's ok.
Crafting: A bit tedious, but I know people like this.
Questing: Pretty fun

I likely will not sub, as I plan to focus on GW2 for a bit. But I may come back to it to get to max level. I probably shouldn't have bought it to begin with, but was intrigued. If I get 30+ hours into it, I will be happy. (Got 5 in last night.)
 
First impressions from me:

Not bad, not bad at all. It's got a good story line, listening to NPCs to get through 5 minutes of dialogue becomes tedious. I think they took the voice overs a bit too far. Maybe not as bad once you get higher up and the back story is understood better.

Combat: Not bad, could be better, but it's ok.
Crafting: A bit tedious, but I know people like this.
Questing: Pretty fun

I likely will not sub, as I plan to focus on GW2 for a bit. But I may come back to it to get to max level. I probably shouldn't have bought it to begin with, but was intrigued. If I get 30+ hours into it, I will be happy. (Got 5 in last night.)

I have to be THAT guy who contradicts himself, but I kind of wish I didn't buy it either. It's VERY good, but I feel like it may not last when GW2 comes out (my new interest all of a sudden, out of nowhere). I have the attention span of a rodent.
 
I have to be THAT guy who contradicts himself, but I kind of wish I didn't buy it either. It's VERY good, but I feel like it may not last when GW2 comes out (my new interest all of a sudden, out of nowhere). I have the attention span of a rodent.

I'm the opposite, haha.... I was interested in GW2, then tried TSW and think it's a better game that'll last longer. :eek:
 
I'm the opposite, haha.... I was interested in GW2, then tried TSW and think it's a better game that'll last longer. :eek:

I'll still play TSW though, since the friend I play with won't buy into the GW2 hype, so you'll still see me around ...Aardvark, or w/e the RP server is, I don't remember the name.
 
P.S. TXAA is enabled with today's patch, looks WAY better than FXAA to me in motion and texture clarity. :D :D :D /hugs his GTX 670. The difference in motion is incredible (the article with an example video is on the official GeForce site, [h] blocks the url so I can't post it, but go to: geforce dot com/whats-new/articles/the-secret-world-txaa/ to see it).

Unfortunately, it hurts my framerate a good bit even on TXAA x2 :(... time to go back to SLI?? :p

TXAA at 2560x1440 in TSW is the only thing other than the New Dawn demo that makes my cards work so hard I can hear the fans clearly.

Even with my 670's in SLI, TSW takes a pretty steep FPS hit with TXAAx2 or TXAAx4. Not sure how much boosting my CPU would help that, I'm only running a modest OC on it really. If I drop the res to 1080p I can almost hit 60 FPS, but at 2560x1440 I'm lucky to break 25-30 FPS.

Put the FPS aside and it looks damn sweet though. :p
 
Love the combat and skill system in TSW. Its very very customization friendly. The quests are awesome, I LOVE investigation quests. Puzzles and more engaging gameplay, way better than any mmo I've played in years.

The first dungeon was also SUPER fun. It felt more like a 10 or 25 man raid feels like in WoW storywise. They scripted things pretty well
 
Yeah, dungeons are very well done, and I say that as someone who prefers pvp. They are more like mini raids, than trash filled slogs :p. I can't wait to see the first raid, and am looking forward to trying the nightmare dungeons once I am geared enough. They add further mechanics and require good gear.
 
Well, I saw firsthand last night what that Fusang buff can give you. I play on Huldra and my main character is a Dragon. I do not pvp in mmo’s, I will get into that later. Since playing for around a month now as a Dragon with no World buff I did not think of it and never bothered to care. Since I was reading some posts on the official forums and they were talking about how the Templar are ruling the Huldra server when it comes to Fusang I decided to try out my Templar alt.

OMG, that buff is almost game changing. They really need to tone that thing down some. It is a great a boon for people who love pvp I guess but it makes things a little unfair for those that either cannot or do not want anything to do with pvp.
It was giving me 300 bonus to both offense and defense rating. My main doesn’t even have that high of an unbuffed defense rating and that is with all QL4 talisman’s. On top of that, it gives other positive numbers like 5 crit rating and +18% experience gain. So I drank one of my +20 XP potions and went to town last night. Since I know KM so well, I almost finished out the entire zone as far as quests go in one night. I was playing an AR/Shotgun build and I can kill the normal zombies in 3 hits(2 builders and a consumer).

I do not know what it is but it may have been because of UO way back in the day. I just do not feel comfortable with PVP in MMO’s. I excel in FPS’s and am usually at the top of any list if it is in a Quake/Unreal style FPS. For some reason my hands shake when PVP in an MMO. I have no clue why. It is like my mind thinks I will lose something if I get killed by another player and it messes up my controls. PK was rampant in UO and I guess I got taken out too many times, lol. I think it also boils down to the game not needing as much skill and it is mostly equipment based until everyone is on an even playing field. I am not much of an End-game player when it comes to MMO’s so I obviously do not have the uber gear that a lot of PVPers are equipped with so it will always be a problem for me, so I just gave up in trying.
 
I do not know what it is but it may have been because of UO way back in the day. I just do not feel comfortable with PVP in MMO’s. I excel in FPS’s and am usually at the top of any list if it is in a Quake/Unreal style FPS. For some reason my hands shake when PVP in an MMO. I have no clue why. It is like my mind thinks I will lose something if I get killed by another player and it messes up my controls. PK was rampant in UO and I guess I got taken out too many times, lol. I think it also boils down to the game not needing as much skill and it is mostly equipment based until everyone is on an even playing field. I am not much of an End-game player when it comes to MMO’s so I obviously do not have the uber gear that a lot of PVPers are equipped with so it will always be a problem for me, so I just gave up in trying.

My oldest nephew is the exact same way. If he dies or loses in pvp it's like he took a wrong step in a dungeon and wiped. If one of his teammates heals someone else other than him he gets fiery mad as he always plays the "main tank" in MMO's. I did make him do WoW arena for a week and he was so terrible at it I cussed him out towards the end of the week so maybe I'm partially to blame. :)

I don't mind losing but when I called for a move to be used to incapacitate someone (CC), and he told me that it's not on his bar because it doesn't raise his dps according to ElitistJerks.com something snapped in me. For a whole week I had been asking for him to CC and on the 7th day he tells me the truth that he didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I think I really snapped when he started reading his skill book to me and asking which page was it on while I was keeping him and myself alive. And he was all calm about telling me that tidbit of information, but was stuttering and shaking while we were in matches because of the adrenaline rush. :)


To overcome that fear of losing what I did years ago was cut off battleground chat and just ran up to people and started trying different things on them to see what their reaction was to my actions. Once I established a blueprint for Paper Rock Scissors I was fine with pvp in MMO's. Try that and tell me how it goes. :)
 
Ok I bought TSW for my nephew and I off Steam last night, but of course there isn't a key for it in my Steam Library. Maybe tonight I can hang out with some of you'll after Valve sorts out the issue. And that is a different nephew in my post above so no noob alert surprises. :)
 
Well, the two characters I am playing right now are
Valdarious
GrndZero

Some newb already took my Occidio. I can not really bitch since I did not create the name specifically. It is Latin, something in the lines of "massacre; slaughter" . I do think I was one of the first ones to start using it in MMO's though since I started using it in EQ back in 99.
 
I'm Dilanio or Climber but I don't play much but an hour or two every other day. Need to do Polaris so if you get to that stage and need another let me know.
 
Well, I saw firsthand last night what that Fusang buff can give you. I play on Huldra and my main character is a Dragon. I do not pvp in mmo’s, I will get into that later. Since playing for around a month now as a Dragon with no World buff I did not think of it and never bothered to care. Since I was reading some posts on the official forums and they were talking about how the Templar are ruling the Huldra server when it comes to Fusang I decided to try out my Templar alt.

OMG, that buff is almost game changing. They really need to tone that thing down some. It is a great a boon for people who love pvp I guess but it makes things a little unfair for those that either cannot or do not want anything to do with pvp.
It was giving me 300 bonus to both offense and defense rating. My main doesn’t even have that high of an unbuffed defense rating and that is with all QL4 talisman’s. On top of that, it gives other positive numbers like 5 crit rating and +18% experience gain. So I drank one of my +20 XP potions and went to town last night. Since I know KM so well, I almost finished out the entire zone as far as quests go in one night. I was playing an AR/Shotgun build and I can kill the normal zombies in 3 hits(2 builders and a consumer).

In endgame terms, the 50 defense rating per held objective and 50 hit rating per held objective isn't a gigantic amount. Huldra is one of, if not the, worst-balanced servers for PVP right now (seems dragon/illuminati on there just raised the white flag and haven't bothered to try since), on most of them objectives change hands and go back/forth in control over the course of a day. The buff's nice early on, but later it is nice but not THAT nice. For once, PVP actually influences things again (something I haven't seen much of for a long time now) faction-wide, and it is great IMO that it does so.
 
I tried it at launch, but it didn't "grab" me. I like the concept, and it reminds me a bit of Matrix Online, which I did like, but just casually. Right now, I'm back playing EverQuest 1 on the new server.
 
Well, I saw firsthand last night what that Fusang buff can give you. I play on Huldra and my main character is a Dragon. I do not pvp in mmo’s, I will get into that later. Since playing for around a month now as a Dragon with no World buff I did not think of it and never bothered to care. Since I was reading some posts on the official forums and they were talking about how the Templar are ruling the Huldra server when it comes to Fusang I decided to try out my Templar alt.

As a Templar on Huldra, I would say most nights we go looking for a fight in Fusang there is no one there to fight. I know there are several large well co-ordinated Templar guilds that really make an effort to go there.

The buffs you talk about are all great to have and are worth fighting for....we just need to get more Illumiati and Dragon to see things like you do! :D
 
I took advantage of the free weekend and luckily my wife and kids went away on a short vacation so I was able to put a few hours into it without any real distractions. So far I'm enjoying this MMO. I'm playing solo for now since my buddies didn't try it out and they're talking about Star Wars something or other where I don't have an interest in that story line. I'm really impressed with the fact that I was able to jump right in and play. I like how I can finish a quest and find a new one nearby. I'm no MMO pro, but I've played quite a few and I've never felt all that compelled to keep playing after the first couple of days. I've been findning every excuse to run downstairs to the man cave to play this game.

Bottom line, they got my $49 and will probably see a few months of subs out of me. I'm perfectly cool with going solo for the entire experience but I may just do the PvP or FvFvF thang when I get a little more comfortable with the fighting mechanics and how best to utilize Talismans. At some point I'll read the official documentation before I find myself frustrated over something that just required me to RTFM. Maybe someone could kindly point me towards a well written guide (not walkthrough, guide)? :)
 
At some point I'll read the official documentation before I find myself frustrated over something that just required me to RTFM. Maybe someone could kindly point me towards a well written guide (not walkthrough, guide)? :)

There are some good writeups on the official forums.

This might be a good one to start with...."Things I wish I'd known"

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=52907
 
Any [H] Templar cabals recruiting or need a casual player? I'm starting to look for one now. On Leviathan but don't think that matters.
 
Well I'm loving this game. My buddies from home and I all bought it and we play pretty casually but one of us is up for duoing or doing a dungeon nightly.

We are on server Grim as Illuminati. If anyone wants to join our cabel for questing add "ICPForLife" to your friends list. Yes I made a juggalo for my first guy and its HILARIOUS to role play him and troll people. I'm at Blue mountain/Doing quests in Savage coast right now. We are going to be doing the 2nd and 3rd dungeons soonish but we are down to run any dungeon and quest anywhere. Questing goes super fast if you duo it.
 
I don't quite get why this is $50 (or $25 with current discount) in the first place. Isn't it a microtransaction game?
 
Sub based with microtransactions for cosmetic things really.

Yep, the cash store stuff is all cosmetic only. Clothing, titles, non-combat companions and other misc stuff.
 
OK, playing the trial now. Feels pretty empty and there doesn't seem to be much communication between players in chat at least.

I am also not sure whether I like the combat system. Will try for a couple more hours later on tonight but so far I don't think that I will be buying this.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
OK, playing the trial now. Feels pretty empty and there doesn't seem to be much communication between players in chat at least.

I am also not sure whether I like the combat system. Will try for a couple more hours later on tonight but so far I don't think that I will be buying this.

It starts a scrap slow, and many people are out of the "newbie" zones by now. However if you roll on one of the later-opened servers you'll probably see more activity in the early zones. It is very very active at middle through end zones, on Cerberus, and Fusang (noninstanced PVP) is PACKED pretty much 24/7 for us.
 
A lot of the combat develops later when you get more active and passive abilities. Depending on your choices the combat will vary. Active dodge makes a lot of the fights simpler, as well as picking your combat actives and passives.

For example I'm a fist dps but a few of my passives are from shotguns and other magic trees. I rely heavily on weakening and impairing my targets with AoE attacks which trigger passive healing abilities. It is a super fun build and makes combat quite fun. However, this doesn't happen until I had about 60 or so points into the ability circle. If you just stick with say one combat tree combat can be slow, frustrating, and just downright boring.
 
A lot of the combat develops later when you get more active and passive abilities. Depending on your choices the combat will vary. Active dodge makes a lot of the fights simpler, as well as picking your combat actives and passives.

For example I'm a fist dps but a few of my passives are from shotguns and other magic trees. I rely heavily on weakening and impairing my targets with AoE attacks which trigger passive healing abilities. It is a super fun build and makes combat quite fun. However, this doesn't happen until I had about 60 or so points into the ability circle. If you just stick with say one combat tree combat can be slow, frustrating, and just downright boring.

This guy just caught me in game :). You definitely need to pick your two weapons and make a build that works with them. I do hammers/chaos for tanking and Pistols/Hammers for my dps spec. I plan on tweaking things out to get me some more passive synergy with some leech effects if I can. I may even switch to assault rifles/Hammers or AR/Fist for a solo leveling build.

Good thing to note, your spec will change from zone to zone. You will have different creatures in later zones that you need to craft your build to kill them.

I've got an Illuminati Cabal still if anyone wants to join. Server Grim. Add me to friends "ICPForLife". Roleplaying a Juggalo is by far the most satisfying hilarious thing ive done in an mmo for a while. Flying in with my hammer swinging to help kill other peoples shit and then spamming shit about juggalos never gets old. Depending on if they let you do name changes though, I may rename myself in the future to my normal nick. I did the free trial two weeks ago and was gonna play it as a joke and then ended up buying the game
 
OK, playing the trial now. Feels pretty empty and there doesn't seem to be much communication between players in chat at least.

I am also not sure whether I like the combat system. Will try for a couple more hours later on tonight but so far I don't think that I will be buying this.

the game shines for the first 40 hours..its different, engrossing, and fun to learn..then you finish it in another 40 hours and hit the wall

if you don't like the first 20 hours, quit now
 
Looks interesting, but I have till April of next year paid off on WoW (Annual pass + CE version of Diablo 3). So, once April hits if I'm completely bored out of my mind with Pandaria then I may give it a chance.
 
I finally made it to Egypt and I'm still having a blast.

Finally got to run some elite dungeons for gear and I still love how it's basically, boss, minor trash, boss, minor trash, boss boss, etc. You dont spend hours clearing crap to get to the bosses and each boss fight is a lot of fun.

It's certainly not for everyone, and having people to play with can make a massive difference in the fun you'll have.
 
Back
Top