The Secret World

the game shines for the first 40 hours..its different, engrossing, and fun to learn..then you finish it in another 40 hours and hit the wall

if you don't like the first 20 hours, quit now

Odd, it seemed to start off slow to me, and now I'm a couple hundred hours in and pleased as punch with it :D. Lifetime sub bought.
 
2 videos from Gamescom 2012 showing what the new zone will be like, shows off the rocket launcher they are adding to the ability wheel, a peek at the new upcoming raid, and more.

Part 1 - http://youtu.be/8aTtTGhw5YU

Part 2 - http://youtu.be/hoJXdzbHilU

Skip to 4 mins into the first video if you just want to see the start of the rocket launcher and 8th slot and such.

I have to admit, I'm very interested in seeing what else they add to the auxiliary wheel over time.
 
After giving the trial a go, I have to say I'm pretty damn impressed with the Secret World.
I'm by no means an MMO expert, but it's the best one I've played, my fifth day will be up tomorrow so I bought the game on sale @ Amazon over the weekend.
 
2 videos from Gamescom 2012 showing what the new zone will be like, shows off the rocket launcher they are adding to the ability wheel, a peek at the new upcoming raid, and more.

Part 1 - http://youtu.be/8aTtTGhw5YU

Part 2 - http://youtu.be/hoJXdzbHilU

Skip to 4 mins into the first video if you just want to see the start of the rocket launcher and 8th slot and such.

I have to admit, I'm very interested in seeing what else they add to the auxiliary wheel over time.

Yep, lots of nice new stuff coming :D, They're doing some good pvp changes at the end of this month with Issue #2, as well (about a week from now). The auxillary weapons are a whole new wheel with slots for nine types that will be coming. They've also mentioned new "normal" weapons coming too.

I'm still having a blast with the game :)... running nightmares, hitting fusang (pvp), occasional stonehenge/el dorado match (which I'll do more once we can queue from within fusang with Issue #2), some questing on the repeatables for AP, some signet farming, etc. etc. I've been spending a ton of time in fusang especially and it's been great for all its flaws.
 
I'm super stoked about the new changes. Wish I had more time to play, might log on for a bit tonight since I drank a Monster earlier and I'm now wired. Need to finish splicing this video then it is time to finish off Savage Coast.
 
Rocket Jump? lol, Come on. Yeah, keeping realistic modern day here.
Will be interesting to see some of these new 'alternate" weapons.
 
Rocket Jump? lol, Come on. Yeah, keeping realistic modern day here.
Will be interesting to see some of these new 'alternate" weapons.

There's travel to other areas via portals, and there are ridiculous monsters and zombies all over the place. I think realistic went out the window long ago.
 
Rocket Jump? lol, Come on. Yeah, keeping realistic modern day here.
Will be interesting to see some of these new 'alternate" weapons.

Modern day setting. Not realistic one or we wouldn't have magic, portals, zombies, vampires, etc. Get your facts straight about the game before flaming. :)
 
Modern day setting. Not realistic one or we wouldn't have magic, portals, zombies, vampires, etc. Get your facts straight about the game before flaming. :)

You need to get your facts straight about "reality". Magic, vampires, zombies and portals all exist--just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist! :)
 
Looking at gameplay, etc... probably going to pick this up today.

Anyone have any tips for a first time player?
 
Looking at gameplay, etc... probably going to pick this up today.

Anyone have any tips for a first time player?

More fun with someone else, a "questing buddy" so to speak. Especially with the investigative missions, you're really able to bounce off some ideas and such. Overall, I'm glad I have someone to play it with, as playing alone would make it downright boring heh.

It's a great game though, I enjoy the combat, the story, the quests, everything really. As a general tip, I'd look over the skills/abilities and really drill down to what you want, it'll make it more enjoyable when you know what you want.
 
1. Don't be afraid to experiment with abilities, you will want to have at least two skill sets. Combat is built around using builders (which build up a resource for two weapon types, hence why you want two skill sets) and then two consumers. In combat you should be doing this to maximize your dps.

2. Don't reroll if you get something you "Dislike" or don't want, in TSW you gain exp more as you lv up and you gain the points faster, there is no "cap" in terms of ability points and what not, so there's no reason to re-roll, all you'll do is waste time. You can do quests over (there is a countdown timer to do them but once it's up you can do the quests again.

3. Don't forget about your talisman's, these are the main "equipment" of the game aside from your weapons, you want to build them how you want your character, dps with more crit/penetration, tanky with more health, healing for healers, etc it's up to you.
 
TSW has a very enjoyable story line and questing system. There are still questing bugs in the game. As a tip, if you can't complete something exit the game and then restart the start the game. I have been able to complete two quests this way.

PVP seems ok, a bit lopsided at times, but pretty fun. I do think the 3-way faction fighting is the way to go, it keeps the game in constant flux.
 
TSW has a very enjoyable story line and questing system. There are still questing bugs in the game. As a tip, if you can't complete something exit the game and then restart the start the game. I have been able to complete two quests this way.

PVP seems ok, a bit lopsided at times, but pretty fun. I do think the 3-way faction fighting is the way to go, it keeps the game in constant flux.

As far as restarting the game, all you hav eto do is ask someone for an invite (who's on another server). Quicker then exiting hte game and restarting.
 
Interesting article here about TSW. I can agree with some of it.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/why-secret-world-and-funcom-deserve-better

At GamesCom, the Funcom team seemed shell-shocked (and possibly hungover). One of their personable PRs (yes – they even have human PRs), Tor Egil Andersen, told me that they were retaining the players they had at the moment – that is, current players weren’t leaving, as they seem to be enjoying it. The problem for them seems to be getting people to sign up in the first place, probably because Guild Wars 2 is on the horizon, possibly because the pre-release buzz was so low. The Secret World is struggling because people didn’t understand it and so haven't tried it – not because they don't like it.

Reading through the comments at the end of the article, I have to say, I've been in the GW2 testing for a while myself, and it just goes to show, "Different strokes for different folks" because GW2 doesn't impress me one bit, whereas I love TSW.
 
Interesting article here about TSW. I can agree with some of it.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/why-secret-world-and-funcom-deserve-better



Reading through the comments at the end of the article, I have to say, I've been in the GW2 testing for a while myself, and it just goes to show, "Different strokes for different folks" because GW2 doesn't impress me one bit, whereas I love TSW.

Yeah, I think I'll only pick it up now if I find it for cheaper than $50. Does steam sell it?
 
Yeah, I think I'll only pick it up now if I find it for cheaper than $50. Does steam sell it?

I believe there was speculation about it coming to steam, but not sure if that happened already (doubtful). Greenmangaming had it on sale several times for 30 something bucks. Could probably find a coupon code somewhere to get 10% off.
 
Amazon has the boxed version for 32 bucks if you can wait.

greenmangaming.com has the digital version if you can't wait for 49.99 and a 20% off coupon you can use DERHE-RRDER-RINGE.
 
Amazon did have the digital download version for $24.99 several days ago but that promo is over I guess.

I'd keep an eye out. FunCom is looking to attract more players so you might find it on sale in various places like Amazon, NewEgg, BestBuy, <insert other misc online retailer here>......

3 days isnt much time to get into the meat of it, but if you like a good story and exploring off the beaten path, there's plenty to do in Kingsmouth (the first town), and while Savage Coast and Blue Mountain might seem like pretty much the same as far as the zone style (townish), the story gems hidden there are really, really good.
 
Amazon did have the digital download version for $24.99 several days ago but that promo is over I guess.

I'd keep an eye out. FunCom is looking to attract more players so you might find it on sale in various places like Amazon, NewEgg, BestBuy, <insert other misc online retailer here>......

3 days isnt much time to get into the meat of it, but if you like a good story and exploring off the beaten path, there's plenty to do in Kingsmouth (the first town), and while Savage Coast and Blue Mountain might seem like pretty much the same as far as the zone style (townish), the story gems hidden there are really, really good.

the 3 day trial becomes 5 if you complete 30 missions, plus you get 1200 points to buy stuff with in the in-game store...that's what I did, I don't think it was until the 4 day that I decided to bite, so the extra day may help in certain scenarios
 
I believe there was speculation about it coming to steam, but not sure if that happened already (doubtful). Greenmangaming had it on sale several times for 30 something bucks. Could probably find a coupon code somewhere to get 10% off.

It's on Steam now, as of about a week ago, but you're best off getting it at a discount such as the recent Amazon half-off sale or with a greenmangaming 20-25% off code (they come fairly frequently).

As far as the best way to start off, definitely get the 3-day trial that extends to five with a free 1200 store points (~$10 worth) once you finish 30 quests (which happens quickly enough). You can see if you like how the game feels/looks/plays and if you do like it, you get a freebie for your trouble ;).

@Limahl, yeah, I'd heard from people in-game (so anecdotally) consistently what they like it and mostly don't plan on leaving, as well as from the investor's report that retention was high. However, as the article you linked said, it didn't have quite enough pre-release hype (and that's putting it lightly), so they're looking to ramp up marketing to help spur growth soon. With that in mind I'd say it's highly likely a half-off sale will come again soon. As far as GW2... I hated it, basically. Different strokes, as you said :).
 

That's a rumor, had me alarmed for a moment. Not shocking in this economy seeing as how even Blizzard has done this from its WOW team as far as I am aware. The quote from the actual Funcom news release says the following, noting that many of the layoffs are simply customer service people who were on temporary contracts, layoffs due to not needing the full-scale dev team that was needed to make the game following a large production of this nature (all MMO's tend to downsize their live teams from the production ones), etc.:

Some of these initiatives are part of normal procedure following the launch of a major project, such as adjustments to the customer service staffing based on the number of customers in the game as well as adjustments to the production team as the project goes into a post-launch phase following years of intense development. Many of those affected on the customer service team are on temporary contracts which is common for a live service such as 'The Secret World' where customer service demand shifts based on the game's population levels.

Here's the actual news from Funcom: http://www.funcom.com/news/funcom_reduces_operational_costs_following_the_secret_world_launch

Good news? No, of course it's never good to hear of layoffs, but it isn't as alarming as it looks from that sensationalistic article.
 
http://www.funcom.com/news/funcom_reduces_operational_costs_following_the_secret_world_launch[/url]

Good news? No, of course it's never good to hear of layoffs, but it isn't as alarming as it looks from that sensationalistic article.

Hmm your article says 50% of it's staff also. I'm not trying to be sensationalist, but that's a bunch of people relative to how many you had the day before.
 
See the link I posted above for the full scoop, but yeah, as your article says.... "Tough Times: Layoffs At PopCap, THQ And Funcom" it's happening with a lot of dev houses. In this economy I don't think much of it.

Yea, too bad the rich are getting richer during this economy.
 
Hmm your article says 50% of it's staff also. I'm not trying to be sensationalist, but that's a bunch of people relative to how many you had the day before.

Yeah, I know that... but it explains more as to what that 50% entails rather than saying "50% of dev team GONE" as kotaku makes it out to be. I've yet to see an MMO *not* lay off a bunch of customer service people and some devs, post-launch, or at minimum re-allocate them to a different game or service in the company. Even Rift, which is the most stable, most quickly-developed MMO in recent years that wasn't WOW, has had a lot of staff moved around to other projects inside the company (Trion) such as the SyFy MMO, from Rift, and a lot of customer service reps downsized. It seems like every company in the world is downsizing, pretty much :(, so I'm not really alarmed by this, to be honest.

EDIT: Just to note, I wasn't saying *you* were being sensationalist, but rather the article and the actual context it left out that frames the info.
 
Yes, I agree. I'm glad to see that they are restructuring seemingly the correct way. I wish the best to them as they made a really cool game! I knew you weren't calling me sensationalist. :)
 
Modern day setting. Not realistic one or we wouldn't have magic, portals, zombies, vampires, etc. Get your facts straight about the game before flaming. :)

Who said anything about flaming. I realize the internet is ambiguous with no realizing is someone is typing sarcasm or not but sheesh. I have a lifetime sub so you wont see me flaming TSW anytime soon.
Rocket jumping is so late 1990's.....
:D
 
I saw... unfortunate but it's going to be a beefy issue. I'm still anxiously awaiting it... :).
 
Do you guys think GW2 is going to pull a lot of subs from TSW? I know this is the case with a lot of MMO launches but I'm seriously considering buying the TSW lifetime package.
 
Back
Top