• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

The Secret World

Can anyone post the patch notes from today?? I'm almost done with Blue Mountain, so far im still enjoying it.


The Voracious Wendigo has stopped eating ambrosia and should now be killable again.
The Gathering - Tugomir cel Mare and his 3 accompanying adds are less difficult to kill, because they don't aggro all at once.
Custom UIs should now work again.
The Sprint ability should no longer stop working in some instances.
Items should no longer on rare occasions become unusable after being spawned.
Fixed a server memory leak.

Also as far as what to do/new content, it's posted in their announcements:
http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=42532

First monthly update is scheduled for July 31st.
 
The Voracious Wendigo has stopped eating ambrosia and should now be killable again.
The Gathering - Tugomir cel Mare and his 3 accompanying adds are less difficult to kill, because they don't aggro all at once.
Custom UIs should now work again.
The Sprint ability should no longer stop working in some instances.
Items should no longer on rare occasions become unusable after being spawned.
Fixed a server memory leak.

thanks man not that much been done, poopers.

they really need to add in customizing the chat window with font colors and much larger font sizes, its pain in the ass i have to keep customizing it in my .XML files...
 
finished the entire main story chain..well done..on par with swtor class story chain..enjoyed them both equally


now i sit here and wonder what to do since i'm in QL10 purple pvp gear..i can grind nightmare mode dungeons but it doesn't 'do it' for me

great, i just beat another mmo


btw, no auction house on day one of release is sad and pathetic (still no auction house)


TSW at least has an endgame unlike SWTOR... zing! Fusang is supposedly hopping from what I'm hearing in-game and from combing carefully through the forums... Nightmare Mode dungeons are supposed to be decently challenging, the three-faction PVP is much better-balanced on population overall due to the nature of >2 factions in PVP... and they're going to be releasing stuff monthly, with a PVP dungeon and other stuff already on the plate including new zones/dungeons and raid(s). For a game that just launched, I think it's got plenty.... the key of course is them adding more over the next few months as they say they will and need to.

I will say the lack of the trading post is pretty bad... they apparrently had one ready but felt it wasn't good enough (SWTOR's was notoriously buggy and often filtered items out that weren't supposed to be, had a horrible sorting system, etc.). It's supposed to be in soon... that's the only glaring issue I see with the game so far, but people are using trade chat so far like the "old days" now :D, which is neat to see.

From the State of the Game letter it sounds like a LOT of awesome stuff is coming... Darkness Falls 2.0 (PVP dungeon) being the one that REALLY stokes my interest incredibly.
 
I can see for people that have a lot of time on their hands and being summer time that lack of content might be an issue for them. For a casual gamer such as myself due to wife and job, I have only just finished Kingsmouth so I know it will be awhile until I can get up to the point of having QL10 gear and having all my skills maxed.
I do not see myself doing pvp, never really enjoyed it all that much in MMO's. Majority of the time it all comes down to better equipment or higher level and not necessarily skill all the time.
 
Just ran my first Polaris around an hour ago, very fun dungeon and I liked that there wasn't a ton of trash mobs.

I can see for people that have a lot of time on their hands and being summer time that lack of content might be an issue for them. For a casual gamer such as myself due to wife and job, I have only just finished Kingsmouth so I know it will be awhile until I can get up to the point of having QL10 gear and having all my skills maxed.
I do not see myself doing pvp, never really enjoyed it all that much in MMO's. Majority of the time it all comes down to better equipment or higher level and not necessarily skill all the time.

PVP becomes fairly balanced at top gear levels as people have similar quality gear with different stats they picked gear for to suit their spec. The gear gap in TSW isn't very big I gather, though I haven't fully looked into it yet.
 
just made it to egypt last night going to be nice for a change of pace. 3 skills to unlock til my first deck is done yippie.
 
I'm still thrown off a little by the proper stats to have. I got ass kicked in Savage cost :(
 
I'm still thrown off a little by the proper stats to have. I got ass kicked in Savage cost :(

make a solo DPS build that has some heal actives and/or heal passives for added breathing room and flexibility

use the green colored gear that has has a close mix of attack rating and HP. if you're cutting it too close on low HP, then start adding a tank piece (high HP, low AR) one at a time until you find a nice balance. I've progressed to the 7th zone in TSW (there are 8 in total), and I've never had to add a tanking piece for soloing with the build I'm using.

as you progress into more content, start branching out to get skills to focus on either healing, tanking, or DPS in dungeons. spend your AP wisely. you really shouldn't be spending AP on very expensive AP skills until you reach the 4th zone (where AP/SP build up starts getting really noticeable) in the game unless you have a very good understanding of whatever build you're creating.

I'm not sure how true this is, but weapon skill level might have an influence on how often you glance a mob.
 
I believe glance is affected by Hit rating which mine is fairly low, ~100. I need to understand crafting better to see how to craft my own gear.
 
I believe glance is affected by Hit rating which mine is fairly low, ~100. I need to understand crafting better to see how to craft my own gear.

the one part of the game that sucks huge monkey balls right now is the crafting its horrible and not worth it at all.
 
the one part of the game that sucks huge monkey balls right now is the crafting its horrible and not worth it at all.

I'm actually curious to what the gearing progression is like.

Do quests -> Get greens
Do instances -> Get blues/tokens
Use tokens -> Get blues with signet/glyph slots to customize

Does that sound about right?
 
I'm actually curious to what the gearing progression is like.

Do quests -> Get greens
Do instances -> Get blues/tokens
Use tokens -> Get blues with signet/glyph slots to customize

Does that sound about right?

I'm still new but that does sound about right.

Their is also Purples which i saw in London that require also Tokens to purchase.
Not sure if you can get purps in higher end dungeons but i assume yes or eventually.

i have two skills left to unlock my first deck. I'm enjoying Egypt a lot very cool.

i tried to get into the crafting its just a hot mess and i buddy that has played a while and is knowledgeable told me its flat out useless unless you want to make glyphs.
 
I'm still new but that does sound about right.

Their is also Purples which i saw in London that require also Tokens to purchase.
Not sure if you can get purps in higher end dungeons but i assume yes or eventually.

i have two skills left to unlock my first deck. I'm enjoying Egypt a lot very cool.

i tried to get into the crafting its just a hot mess and i buddy that has played a while and is knowledgeable told me its flat out useless unless you want to make glyphs.

Is there a tradeskill for potions and things like that? I'm getting tempted to pick this game up and see how it goes. It looks very interesting and fun
 
Is there a tradeskill for potions and things like that? I'm getting tempted to pick this game up and see how it goes. It looks very interesting and fun

Yes, you can make potions. All you need to do is put the proper crafting materials into the crafting pain, in the proper pattern, using the proper level "Consumable Kit" for your mats.

The pattern to make a potion looks like this (where X is where a mat is placed):

- X - -
X - X -
X - X -
X X X -

Edit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...4STWqHvQJL2RLcfp7UJiKc/preview?pli=1&sle=true is a good crafting link.
 
been playing for 3 weeks..alot...i'm bored already..its still a good game...much better than swtor..i'm just bored..i 'feel' like i beat the game

and crafting is cool but overly complicated...its a game afterall..sheesh

i will not subscribe ..same thing happened with swtor (sigh) surprisingly, i preferred swtor pvp to this pvp....quests are better in this game but the MAIN storyline are equally good

ymmv
 
Can you expand on why you think crafting is overly complicated? I think it is pretty intuitive given you just place the materials you want to use in a shape that resembles what you want to make, like:

Pistol:
oooo
oo
o

Assault Rifle:
ooooo
o o


etc.


I do agree that getting crafting toolkits is rather annoying since they are drops only.
 
Can you expand on why you think crafting is overly complicated? I think it is pretty intuitive given you just place the materials you want to use in a shape that resembles what you want to make, like:

Pistol:
oooo
oo
o

Assault Rifle:
ooooo
o o


etc.


I do agree that getting crafting toolkits is rather annoying since they are drops only.

Could be me, but that sounds confusing as fuck. How does it work? What does the shape have to do with anything at all?
 
Could be me, but that sounds confusing as fuck. How does it work? What does the shape have to do with anything at all?

You could put the same mats into 3 different patterns and make 3 different items. In a way it simplifies things because you dont have to go learn 3 different recipes like other MMOs.

On the other hand, getting the right level mats, and the right level toolkits to match up for what you want to make can be a PITA sometimes.

They show you all the patterns at the Sherriff's station quest from the guy making bombs outside at the table.
 
Crafting seems pointless imo.

You hardly ever get the right lv toolkits/mats for earlier levels.

I'm out of Savage coast onto the area after that and after keeping almost all of my weapons, glyps, etc and turning them into the current level of material for my lv I STILL can't find decent toolkits to make an item with, at least one that would be better then mycurrently equipped item.
 
crafting:

maybe complicated is too strong a word...clumsy,confusing,involved,cumbersome

there, pick one..lol

btw, you can't make gadgets with metal...its still bugged... (sigh)

as far as gear progression

greens from quests
blues from elite instances
purples from grinding tokens from pvp
10.1 purples from nigtmare mode in instances

instances have 3 modes..normal, elite, nightmare...you have to pass a 'gatekeeper' npc to be allowed to go into nightmare mode dungeons..its basically a dps/tank/healer gear check...not fun either
 
I thought the issue with the weapon crafting system is that by the time you've been able to build up the reagents for an appropriate QL weapon for the zone you're in, you've already found an appropriate QL weapon without needing to craft it

I think I crafted a weapon once for either Kingsmouth or Savage Coast questing, then I just started saving up tokens to buy the blue QL weapons from the Council NPC in Blue Mountain and later on, City of Sun God and sold weapon toolkits to NPCs (can sell to players at higher than vendor price if you're willing to spend the time for that)

there is value to glyph crafting though and the pattern is static
 
make a solo DPS build that has some heal actives and/or heal passives for added breathing room and flexibility

use the green colored gear that has has a close mix of attack rating and HP. if you're cutting it too close on low HP, then start adding a tank piece (high HP, low AR) one at a time until you find a nice balance. I've progressed to the 7th zone in TSW (there are 8 in total), and I've never had to add a tanking piece for soloing with the build I'm using.

as you progress into more content, start branching out to get skills to focus on either healing, tanking, or DPS in dungeons. spend your AP wisely. you really shouldn't be spending AP on very expensive AP skills until you reach the 4th zone (where AP/SP build up starts getting really noticeable) in the game unless you have a very good understanding of whatever build you're creating.

I'm not sure how true this is, but weapon skill level might have an influence on how often you glance a mob.
Great advice in general. Also you are right, weapon quality versus mob strength can cause glancing if yours is too low.


Re: crafting discussion..... I like the system, doesn't require grinding a skill up for making things and puts the onus on your ability to get materials rather than sit grinding worthless items for hours. The patterns are very simple, but you can pull up any Site with the patterns to reference, just bookmark it. Glyphs are the main endgame item I gather, but items and potions have uses still, especially the former. I think it is well done.

I will agree that crafting weapons tends to not be so useful so far while leveling.


Pvp in this game is way more fun and flexible than swtor, hands down, IMO.
 
Pvp in this game is way more fun and flexible than swtor, hands down, IMO.

are you kidding me??!!! sure, fusang is ok but very very predictable...go kill a facility boss, get your pvp tokens and leave the instance for the 30 min cooldown..rinse and repeat.. yea, right, thats alot of fun..NOT

and stonehenge just sucks..i'll take huttball all day long over stonehenge..man, are we playing the same game?
 
are you kidding me??!!! sure, fusang is ok but very very predictable...go kill a facility boss, get your pvp tokens and leave the instance for the 30 min cooldown..rinse and repeat.. yea, right, thats alot of fun..NOT

and stonehenge just sucks..i'll take huttball all day long over stonehenge..man, are we playing the same game?

PVP meta-game is a zillion times more complex, thanks to the deck builds possible. Also, you don't instantly know what someone has or is going to drop on you "Oh I see a marauder, ok all he's gonna do is X, then Y, repeating" but rather taking some thought when engaging enemies.

Open-world/non-instanced PVP >>>>>>>>>> million, times better than instanced stuff. You can also go fight people without doing just the Facility quests, y'know :). No reason to just outright leave because you capped a Facility, in fact that counters the game design including the one for killing X number of people and actually holding the bonuses.

Stonehenge is beautiful in my opinion, simplicity defined. It has no gimmicks, just a simple design dependent on skill of LOS'ing, coordinating timing, etc. Extremely fun for those who enjoy PVP rather than pve-objective-based PVP.

Huttball was a joke in balance and gameplay with leaps, pits, random fire traps, and teammate pulls, not to mention stealthers to pass to and chain-passing by pre-formed groups against PUG's ending matches in 2-3 minutes with no real way to stop them. Huttball was fun in PUG-on-PUG, but pre-formed/made vs. pre-formed/made was horrifically bad, same with pre-formed/made vs. PUG.
 
ok tiger i see your point...i really do like being able to move AND cast at the same time..and NOT knowing what the other guys build is cool but too much variety for me for countermoves..not fair imho..with only 7 active slots, you can die for 15 minutes until it ends because you didn't slot the right countermove...again, not fun..at least with 3 rows of skills, i have ALL i need to counter whatever i, well, encounter..LOL

but yea, i like object based battlegrounds..arathi basin in wow was the best/most fun i had

and fac bosses quest is the only quest that gives the 7 medals..the other 2 don't...trust me..you need the medals more than the pts at a certain pt and thats when the pvp grind for medals starts...you do want those pvp purple glyphs..they're awesome...lol

buit again, i see your point
 
ok tiger i see your point...i really do like being able to move AND cast at the same time..and NOT knowing what the other guys build is cool but too much variety for me for countermoves..not fair imho..with only 7 active slots, you can die for 15 minutes until it ends because you didn't slot the right countermove...again, not fun..at least with 3 rows of skills, i have ALL i need to counter whatever i, well, encounter..LOL

but yea, i like object based battlegrounds..arathi basin in wow was the best/most fun i had

and fac bosses quest is the only quest that gives the 7 medals..the other 2 don't...trust me..you need the medals more than the pts at a certain pt and thats when the pvp grind for medals starts...you do want those pvp purple glyphs..they're awesome...lol

buit again, i see your point

Yeah, I can see your point of view also, just offering my opinion and counter points :). Obviously people have different preferences or we would only have one game of each genre haha :D.
 
How casual friendly is the game? I can only devout maybe 10 hours a week if that. Is it wholly raid and gear dependent at end game? I loved UO, DAoC, and GW1 PvP but I hate being forced to raid or devout hours upon hours and never being able to be competitive.
 
How casual friendly is the game? I can only devout maybe 10 hours a week if that. Is it wholly raid and gear dependent at end game? I loved UO, DAoC, and GW1 PvP but I hate being forced to raid or devout hours upon hours and never being able to be competitive.

there are PvP tokens that can be farmed that give very good gear that can be used in PvE

there's some debate on whether the PvP token gear stat allocation should be made more PvPish and less effective in PvE, but the way it is now, you can get pretty close to end-game gear if you PvP a ton but that's going to take a whole lot of token farming

in terms of casual friendly, the majority of the PvE content is soloable as long as you're using a decent solo build. the non-Investigative solo content can be challenging, but it shouldn't feel impossible or frustrating. the Investigative missions are what you make of it. you can try to do them legitimately, not do them at all, or use a guide online to complete them.

the end-game PvE looks to be dungeon/raid based, but as I've already said, PvP can be used as an alternative to acquire very good gear.

never being able to be competitive

regarding the above, I haven't PvPed because I do not care about PvP in games where acquiring gear is involved, so this will be better answered by someone that has PvPed a lot in TSW.
 
Last edited:
How casual friendly is the game? I can only devout maybe 10 hours a week if that. Is it wholly raid and gear dependent at end game? I loved UO, DAoC, and GW1 PvP but I hate being forced to raid or devout hours upon hours and never being able to be competitive.

This game is almost designed for casual players. The guys that race through the missions and play for 5 to 6 weekday hours will pretty much finish out all the content in about a week and half or two.

If you are the casual player, like myself, it will take awhile to go through the content. Watch all the cutscenes for story, collect all the Lore and work towards the achievements and you will have steady content for a long time.

I have been playing for about 2 and half to 3 weeks and I am just getting into Savage coast. Granted, I have been repeating some quests and looking for hidden lore and hidden rare spawns. I have also been working on skills before I go to far into the game. I have the first ring of abilities almost maxed out on Blades, Pistols, Shotgun, Elementalism and Chaos. Delved into the second ring on Blades and Pistols and I haven't even gone into the first dungeon yet. I have QL 3 weapons for each of those skills I have been working on.

My level of play is a bit different than most other MMO players though. I find the fight to end-game is more fun than the end-game itself. I also have one character per faction, the other two faction characters are not really very far in the game though, mostly just to get my name and watch the first section of each faction to get their stories.

If you play casually, it will be hard to burn through all the content waiting on more since new content should be getting added every month.
 
I don't think other than full-on 20-hour-a-day 7-days-a-week players that even hardcore players will "finish" the game terribly quickly, plus there's plenty of stuff including Fusang to keep you occupied until the monthly issues start hitting with new content (including the one coming on the 31st, which (yay!) includes the auction house's return with better functionality since it was removed shortly post-launch). The first monthly issue alone includes a few new Nightmare mode dungeon versions and a buncha quests + other stuff.

This game is almost designed for casual players. The guys that race through the missions and play for 5 to 6 weekday hours will pretty much finish out all the content in about a week and half or two.
As a "hardcore" or fairly harder-core player myself, I disagree. I've been playing around 8 hours a day for the last 6 days including today, and am not even very far into Blue Mountain yet. That's one of the earlier zones for people wondering. I'm guessing I'll be another few times this playtime before I could reach endgame (though I'll probably slow my play a little soon), and obviously at endgame there's a nice amount of PVP to be had in Fusang, plus there will be several Nightmare dungeons and other things to do still (more XP for spec points, trying new weapon setups or roles, farming for money,

Lore exploration, achievements, finishing out quests in the zones that I missed, etc.) even if I cap out on gear. Plus a raid is coming soon as well as a PVP dungeon (which should be fun stuff if it's any good!!). I think even us harder-core players have plenty to chew on with this game, and if you are a normal or casual player, you're going to have plenty to do for ages to come.
 
July 31 is TSW's first major content patch, "Issue 1" - which adds a number of neat features. I'm glad they're getting right on it. All in all TSW is quite fun, not perfect, but if it keeps expanding it can really be quite enjoyable. Those with a minimal time commitment can still have fun; unlike many titles, the game doesn't "start at max level raiding". I do have a few grievances that are shared with many on the forum community; hopefully Funcom will fix them soon but I'd be appreciative if others could post their support on threads for...

1. Item Shop items need to unlock account wide, not for a single character. The way to do so is already incorporated into the Claim dialog for pre-order/Pack items that ARE account wide. Its debatable if you should have to pay $3 for a single shirt, its damn insane to only unlock said shirt on a single character. Funcom claims there is a technical reason that needs to be overcome, so we need to keep on them and let them know we've not forgotten. I for one will not buy a single bloody item, even with my "free" Funcom points, until they're account-wide.

2. MultiSlot items acting as "skins" that overwrite your clothing is a corner-cutting mess. They made an excellent clothing system with tons of sockets/placements, so they should use it. Many of the RMT outfits and reward outfits for quests, rank, deck completion, Grand Master outfit etc... are all these "skin" types, where you can't wear the underlying items as you wish - its all or nothing. These need to be changed immediately. There is clearly the mechanics in game so that I could say, wear the Paladin Deck coat, pants and hat from the Inquisitor, and a shirt I bought from one of the in-game boutiques, but those deck rewards are "skins" and have no component pieces. All they need to do is make every outfit involved with component pieces in-mind to be used a-la carte and let the "multislot" be a quick way to put on an entire set, and everyone would be happy. Especially for Item Shop paid items - how can they expect you to buy an outfit that is a "single skin" compared to buying it and getting to use all the pieces as you wish, combined with other stuff you own - its a much better deal and I expect there would be much better uptake

3. Animations for Magic Weapons/Focus Items. At current, they're just silly. Unlike Melee and Ranged, Magic weapons are not involved in any way in your attack animation. Blood Magic and Chaos Magic stick a Book and Disc to your back and Elementalism puts a Doll on your hip. Going into attack stance etc.. does nothing. There are lots of things they could do that wouldn't even involve changing the existing animations, such as letting the Blood Magic book/tome float off your back and open before you when in battle etc... but they should do SOMETHING. Imagine if each Blade or Assault Rifle attack didn't actually use your equipped weapon graphic - it stayed stuck to your back while there was a canned, unchanging weapon that appeared in your hands when you pressed the button. Silly, and not in line with the rest of the weapons.

With a few changes like these and RIFT-speed content additions, TSW could be a solid MMO for those looking for something a little different for years to come. Otherwise, its going to have a difficult time going up against Guild Wars 2 (which has no subscription fee, polished amazingly, and has a cheap in-game store as we've seen thus far), and WoW's Pandaria launches, not to mention RIFT's continual improvements and upcoming Storm Legion expansion!
 
Ive been trying to get an account password reset from these for a month now I guess they dont want me to buy their game. Does anyone have link to for a client download to prep for next weekend? I may just end up registering a new account to test it out.
 
Ive been trying to get an account password reset from these for a month now I guess they dont want me to buy their game. Does anyone have link to for a client download to prep for next weekend? I may just end up registering a new account to test it out.

Contact their Customer Service with a livechat, I had an issue where my account wasn't resetting properly (no emails received in inbox or spam folder) and it was fixed within 5 minutes from start to finish.
 
Back
Top