The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Most rpg's are very cpu bound and especially sluggish in cities and mass battles - and most rpg's don't really utilize more than 2 cores. The beta doesn't seem to utilize all of the gpu power on the gpu end of the deal though either.
. I also find the camera swinging to front infuriating. Its horrible. The forced short zoom level is also annoying. They did address the modifiers to movement keys (which was a huge "oversight" imo) and a few other things since the last beta at least - but overall these omissions make it seem like they built the game in a console-like mode. I find it puzzling that they report things like the camera swing to front "just being shown to them" .. like "oh we didn't realize". Any modern pc mmo player would have had many of these issues in a bug list within the first 20 minutes of playing the game. .
The UI ~ "game OS" seems clunky and console-ish to me as well in general, and doesn't allow you to move and resize onscreen element frames (which more sophisticated games allow in edit layout modes as if each element were a type of window). The map and other things see to confirm a bad backbone design/designer. I don't know if some of the devs are coming from console level of sophistication or stuck in 2005 in some facets of the game. I have other complaints that I listed in prior post as well, but the fact that they are becoming aware of some of the faults and seem willing to address them is promising. If they really do iron out a lot of the stuff including the camera and hopefully full gpu support including sli/crossfire, and refine the backbone more this game would improve a lot and be much more enjoyable.

Is there any way to track quests? Been getting missions and not sure how to track them.

You don't get quests that way. Quests are bound by the area you do them in not in a log.

When you're near an event or heart it automatically pops up on your tracker. You're not supposed to keep a list of tasks to do later, you're supposed to explore and do the events you come across.

Having a blast, love the engineer, also made my first set of armor as a leatherworker too :) Also noticed that my frame rate is alot smoother this weekened for some reason.

Running smooth on both my systems.

3770k @ 4.8ghz + GTX680

i7 970 @ 4.33ghz + 7970

Definitely CPU bound from my testing. Crank up dat OC.

And don't take it from me alone - my team is streaming 24/7 and you can judge the performance yourself. We are all running at least OC'd Phenom x4s, most running new IB builds.

http://www.twitch.tv/alphacollective

Note that the stream is capped at 25 or 30 fps - it's much smoother and higher FPS on the client side.

That is way higher specs than my i7-920 @4ghz with a 5850 and mine runs like butter. I feel for they people that don't have smooth game play, but a lot of the times it is simply user error, bad drivers, corrupt driver installs from not properly uninstalling, thermal downclocking because temps have spiked from dust build up. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the possible problems that it can be before its the game. That being said, this version is running smoother for me than the last.

I haven't done it yet but should probably run FRAPS if you want to test your fps. For some people 30 - 40 fps is "like butter" .. others shoot for 70 - 90 fps+ on a 120hz 2ms TN (or a 85 - 100hz crt).
Many people also take into account huge fps dips due to scene complexity increases in games, so want a much higher fps as a buffer vs those scene complexity fps dips. Also dependent on what your max settings are in games - full shadow detail on all, view distances, objects in distance limit, ground clutter radius, etc , and of course if you crank up AA, and what resolution you are running.
Its also possible that people are getting worse fps with multiple gpus enabled if the game doesn't support it. I've seen it on other games (with broken multi-gpu support) where I actually got better fps after disabling crossfire / running in windowed mode so only one gpu was utilized.

I haven't done it yet but should probably run FRAPS if you want to test your fps. For some people 30 - 40 fps is "like butter" .. others shoot for 70 - 90 fps+ on a 120hz 2ms TN (or a 85 - 100hz crt).
Many people also take into account huge fps dips due to scene complexity increases in games, so want a much higher fps as a buffer vs those scene complexity fps dips. Also dependent on what your max settings are in games - full shadow detail on all, view distances, objects in distance limit, ground clutter radius, etc , and of course if you crank up AA, and what resolution you are running.

That's why people generally use FPS numbers, not just "it feels smooth to me" as a barometer... I don't see why some are using "I think it's fine" as a rebuttal to "it runs at 25-30 fps in area X and a max of about 40 in area Y at 2560x1600 max settings" like I posted.

That is way higher specs than my i7-920 @4ghz with a 5850 and mine runs like butter. I feel for they people that don't have smooth game play, but a lot of the times it is simply user error, bad drivers, corrupt driver installs from not properly uninstalling, thermal downclocking because temps have spiked from dust build up. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the possible problems that it can be before its the game. That being said, this version is running smoother for me than the last.

Amaroth, what is your actual framerate & settings? I have my doubts it's actually smooth for you (typically regarded as a constant 50 min fps and avg of 60+) at max settings and 2560x1600.

I haven't done it yet but should probably run FRAPS if you want to test your fps.

You don't need to use fraps, the game has an built-in fps counter. To enable it, right click on the game's shortcut, select properties, and add -perf to the end of the target line. That'll turn on the counter.

You don't need to use fraps, the game has an built-in fps counter. To enable it, right click on the game's shortcut, select properties, and add -perf to the end of the target line. That'll turn on the counter.

I'm surprised that people on this forum don't have Afterburner installed anyway to toggle on/off :eek:.

This doesn't seem to work for me. Says it's 'invalid' am I doing something wrong?

Amaroth, what is your actual framerate & settings? I have my doubts it's actually smooth for you (typically regarded as a constant 50 min fps and avg of 60+) at max settings and 2560x1600.

I have a i7-920@4ghz. 12gb ram, and a 5850. I run with all setting on high, high character textures, etc.. @ 1920x1200. The only thing I have disabled is Depth of Field. I don't run AA, just don't see the point at high resolutions. Doubt I could though with my 5850 and still play. Fraps has me running at 45-60fps. 60fps is my cap due to v-sync. In WvWvW I do get dips into the 30's but that is because of the shit ton of people and pretty lights. I expect them to tweak their effects though because as of now they are so profound with that many people you can't see what the fuck is going on. My 5850 is starting to get long in the tooth though. I'll be looking to upgrade once prices come down a tad. Not sure where you got me claiming I was running at 2560x1600, cause I never said that.

i don't trust in game fps meters as much. plus i can output fraps to its own window and to my keyboard lcd where it shows an actual graph in realtime.

This game is still horribly un-optomized. Running just a single GTX 680 pushing a 1440P monitor by itself my GPU is using only 50-60% utilization. They've got way too many things running on the CPU in a single thread and not having the GPU doing much. Even with a 3770K @ 4.9 GHz I am only getting 50 FPS in some areas with the GPU barely throttling up. I mean really? :rolleyes:

This game is still horribly un-optomized. Running just a single GTX 680 pushing a 1440P monitor by itself my GPU is using only 50-60% utilization. They've got way too many things running on the CPU in a single thread and not having the GPU doing much. Even with a 3770K @ 4.9 GHz I am only getting 50 FPS in some areas with the GPU barely throttling up. I mean really? :rolleyes:

Cool....
That's why it's beta. What were you expecting? I haven't even checked my FPS because A) it's beta and B) it's running completely fine (in terms of I'm not noticing any FPS lag or serious tearing etc.)

I consider horrible meaning its barely playable. I'd give GW2 a C+, B- for optimization so far.

definitely choppy on my machine on large events or large fields (unobstructed)

2500k @ 4.4ghz 16gb ram, 5850 at default 1920x1200

but game is pretty fun. It can use a couple more months of optimization though.

Maybe i'm doing it wrong but for some reason i'm finding the event system and the gameplay boring and lifeless. The game is beautiful though.

definitely choppy on my machine on large events or large fields (unobstructed)

2500k @ 4.4ghz 16gb ram, 5850 at default 1920x1200

but game is pretty fun. It can use a couple more months of optimization though.

2500k @ 4.5, 7970 OC'ed, 2560x1440 runs smooth as butter. Idk.

You guys who are having performance issues.. were these issues prevalent for you in the last beta, or are they new performance issues?

As for me, performance has been smooth with this beta and last one as well. Granted, I haven't tried out much WvWvW.

Jeez, i hate being Mr. Negative but somehow the old GW1 feeling just isn't there for me. Same feeling i had in the first beta weekend actually. Sure it's smooth and everything but somehow the spark isn't there. It feels too much like a generic MMO now to me. Especially the rolling around in combat to evade...man...i dunno, it just doesn't fit imho.

Just not feeling it.

It is one of those games that lacks that nebulous "feel". In spite of my laundry list of complaints about mechanics and design in Diablo 3, man, hitting monsters in that game feels fucking good. There just isn't the right look or feel to the animations, it feels unresponsive and unweighty, the sounds are gawful and the effects are generally unimpressive. Unfortunate, because I feel a little bit like I wasted $60 on a game that I don't even care about.

The charr sidequests in the level 1-15 area are sooo dull. For those who have gone through all 3 races, are human or norn sidequests more entertaining?

I shouldn't have picked the 'desert area' to start with, on a server with low population.

There just isn't the right look or feel to the animations, it feels unresponsive and unweighty, the sounds are gawful and the effects are generally unimpressive. .

outstanding synopsis...after watching streaming video/youtube, i feel exactly the same way..and i still can't stand the running animations..they float above the ground..!!!

i log back into my f2p aion, and BINGO, the exact opposite occurs..when i blow up something with a spell called 'inferno', the animations AND SOUND effects are so well coordinated, its perfect and rightly deserves the name of the spell...i was fighting a dragon yesterday with a group, and he unleashed a spell with the most unreal sound effect i ever heard in a game..it scared the holy pajesus out of me...now thats immersion

and i'm glad to read critical analysis GW2...we all got burned by swtor..thats NOT gonna happen again with this one..no way, no how

(side note..alot of beta testers nailed swtor failure from the getgo..i applaud you guys)

I like the PvE far more than the PvP at this point. I'm seeing a whole different set of events this time around in the same zones, so their is a shit ton of variety. PvP needs some serious balancing though. I very rarely can be killed on my necro, and my friends warrior is just sick. 1 shotting people at times. GW2 is a different breed of MMO's. It will be less about leveling and more about the content and experiences because of the crazy amount of dynamic events.

In the end i'm not too concerened about it flopping. I don't have to pay a monthly sub to enjoy the game if I want to take a break and come back. If I can get a good 60+ hours of game time in then I will feel like I got my moneys worth. I felt like I got my moneys worth in SWOTR that first month. The personal story was great and pvp was fun initially, after that first month though it was a joke and not worth a monthly sub.

Really good thread on the most frequently requested changes. Some really nice changes in there, hopefully ArenaNet will see it and consider some of them.

On another note, this game is so awesome. I find myself struggling not to play the beta this weekend (I played last month) so I can not spoil anything else for release. I just wonder how far away it is.

Cool....
That's why it's beta. What were you expecting? I haven't even checked my FPS because A) it's beta and B) it's running completely fine (in terms of I'm not noticing any FPS lag or serious tearing etc.)

This is the third beta and they have yet to improve optimization.

I think we are playing different games...

We must be because necro's are plain stupid with the amount of damage they can soak. I generate a crazy amount of life force and then generate even more when I take damage. Add in dodging and my heal, its just plain stupid. The warrior is broken too. My friend sits at 50% base crit, and when he switches from 1h axe to 2h sword he gets 100% crit, plus he has the temp invuln. I see him 1shot people constantly.

they'll announce final optimization when it happens(they've even said it was still not optimized on the blog and the reddit AMA a few dozen times). doesn't matter what number beta weekend it is or when you think it should be. there's already been more fixes applied in a short amount of time vs the competition. not much else to be said.

swtor burnouts, cool your jets. bioware wasn't a reall mmo dev, and bioware austin was all proven failure devs + college students making their first real game. it wasn't even made by the actual bioware you think of when you hear the name. don't jump the gun now, and certainly don't try to look wise after arguing with actual beta testers like me who saw the game remain unchanged for a year and had no hardmodes or high end pvp tested(where's ilum at? WvW is holing up pretty well and plays smoother with more people).

they'll announce final optimization when it happens(they've even said it was still not optimized on the blog and the reddit AMA a few dozen times). doesn't matter what number beta weekend it is or when you think it should be. there's already been more fixes applied in a short amount of time vs the competition. not much else to be said.

swtor burnouts, cool your jets. bioware wasn't a reall mmo dev, and bioware austin was all proven failure devs + college students making their first real game. it wasn't even made by the actual bioware you think of when you hear the name. don't jump the gun now, and certainly don't try to look wise after arguing with actual beta testers like me who saw the game remain unchanged for a year and had no hardmodes or high end pvp tested(where's ilum at? WvW is holing up pretty well and plays smoother with more people).

it is a bit late in the process for a game engine overhaul, they coyld just be keeping the complainers away.

the engine needs overhaul? if it's not using much GPU resources right now and they're up front about it then what is the problem? i'll be right there with the whiners if the game comes out like this. so far they've kept everyone apprised of the progress and they're going to work on it. how much more do you need to see before you can actually believe they're working on it? yea bioware fucked everyone over, and blizzard is slow given their manpower. trion worlds is great as far as working on their game, so maybe Anet will be to(they were great with working on the previous one).

so you're not getting a WoW clone and you're not getting ten hour downtime every tuesday. guess we should now complain about what could be instead of what is. although i might be a little irate at technical difficulties if i paid money to beta test.

Server down or what? I can login, but when I click a character to play it does nothing and ends up logigng me out.

I've learned to take what I can get in this industry. This game has much more potential any any other upcoming titles in just about every way. Complaining about optimization BS in beta weekend 2 is somewhat silly. They'll get to it. I also don't see any of the problems that some of you guys are QQ'ing about. I played all weekend with zero visible performance issues. I had one random crash to desktop, and that's it. No crazy framerate drops, no super low framerates in towns/events, etc. Game ran very smoothly compared to other titles I've played in BETA. Still the keyword!

Wow I finally get in and wtf? This last patch from yesterday to today has completely obliterated my fps.

Yesterday I was pulling in 40-50fps and today I'm only getting 12-15'ish fps, I haven't changed anything at all, same settings, same video card drivers, etc.

I've learned to take what I can get in this industry. This game has much more potential any any other upcoming titles in just about every way. Complaining about optimization BS in beta weekend 2 is somewhat silly. They'll get to it. I also don't see any of the problems that some of you guys are QQ'ing about. I played all weekend with zero visible performance issues. I had one random crash to desktop, and that's it. No crazy framerate drops, no super low framerates in towns/events, etc. Game ran very smoothly compared to other titles I've played in BETA. Still the keyword!

I'm having a lot of performance issues, but it's only bwe 2 and they already have said they have a lot of optimization they need to do, so I put that aside personally.

The game itself is REALLY good, and it *gasp* has actual Realm vs. Realm gameplay (World vs. World) that is well-done also! I'm not seeing any issues with "floating" while running, and don't think the animations are bad at all (I like them for the most part). Graphics are nice, gameplay is fun, it has good pve content & public quests---err, I mean rifts, oh no I mean Dynamic Events, it's got a nice little overarching story ("Personal Story") for your character, etc. etc. I had a blast in sPVP (the instanced scenarios/warfronts), gameplay is incredibly tight and fun there. WvW was fun and the maps are a great size & have depth.

Now that I've gotten to try it, I feel like I'm playing DAOC again to a large extent, but modernized... I love it! The superficial "it's still in development" things like slight bugs, minor UI polish needed (interface editor for example I'm sure will come), etc. are nothing compared to the actual gameplay & content the game has. I also really like some of the UI touches they've done, the ability to mail from anywhere, auction anywhere (and just go to pick up purchases & sale revenue at a kiosk), send crafting supplies to your bank, etc. The game's not going to have a huge gear gap/grind, and the specs are extremely flexible for each class.

Looking forward to more!

it is a bit late in the process for a game engine overhaul, they coyld just be keeping the complainers away.

An overhaul is not the same thing as optimization, whatsoever. It doesn't need an overhaul, it needs to be tuned and have better performance, that's all.

Yeah.. I was in the SWTOR beta in July 2010 for their first public testing weekend, then as a full-time tester in May 2011 onward. The beta was horrible.... basically nothing changed, and no real testing was going on of Ilum/high-end pvp (let alone at 50), no dungeon testing, no raid testing (yeah I know they claim they had an internal focus group... it all clearly was untested by the time launch rolled around), and the whole game was just a mess compared to this Guild Wars 2 beta. They're not even in the same league. Even if ArenaNet were to magically decide "hey, let's change nothing else until launch, everyone take a vacation!" at this point, it would still launch in a pretty workable state... thankfully, they won't be doing that, and the game's just going to get better until it launches :D.

This game has me psyched. Both BWE1 and BWE2 were incredibly fun and playing my Charr warrior across the countryside slaying made it awesome.

Not only that, but the devs have been fixing a lot of the major issues from BWE1 -> BWE2. Now the fixes need to be more refined.

BWE2 was miles better than BWE1. Such a huge improvement over the first one, I'm impressed and I loved playing this for most of the weekend.

It was like the more I played the more I grew fond of it, I really cannot wait for release.

Back