The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

FLCLimax

Limp Gawd
The tiers don't affect what utility skills you can slot, they just affect when you can purchase them. The traits are tiered.
the skill tiers force you to unlock 5 skills, which means forcing you to dump points into skills you have absolutely no intention of ever using.

evilsofa

[H]F Junkie
the skill tiers force you to unlock 5 skills, which means forcing you to dump points into skills you have absolutely no intention of ever using.
Won't matter much if you earn skill points in GW2 the way you did in GW1. One of my GW1 characters has over 2000 unused skill points.

zoobaby

Supreme [H]ardness
So when is this game going to come out? Is the general consensus from the BWEs really positive? Most things I've read have been positive.
I've not heard a single guildie bitch about anything but performance issues. Game play is fun as hell, most are ready for a release now. It is more polished than a lot of shit that has released.

Having said that, ran into a few skill up points that were bugged, so there is definitely work to be done.

Only problem with the game is the performance. Other than that I'm fucking stoked.
Optimizations should fix many of the performance issues.

Curious_George

Weaksauce
The less than simple solution is to just make sure there are few skills you'd absolutely never want to use. And if they're going with a tier system I feel like that needs to be their focus to prevent people from feeling like they're just "wasting" skill points like you said.

Oomps

Gawd
I much prefer the tiered system as opposed to just having the "good" skills cost a buttload of points(or at max level like in other games). At least this way you get some usable stuff while you are collecting for the higher tiered skills.

I know they cost more(3 for t2, 5 for t3), but that's not bad.

Vega

Supreme [H]ardness
I thought getting turned into a evil character at the end of the beta weekend was kinda boring. Especially when they made the boss's un-kill-able. At first though I didn't know what was going on lol I thought the evil players that had transformed were NPC's to start off. :)

Curious_George

Weaksauce
I thought the whole "branded" thing was the best part. It was like a zombie invasion, where you had to hold out until they overran and you got turned yourself. Not being able to kill some of the bosses was a little disappointing (but it's not like beating them all would have accomplished anything with the beta ending anyway).

Syntaxx

[H]ard|Gawd
I played a Theif, man did the Wolf Hauvron quest kick my ass about 40 times, I finally beat it with lvl 15 abilities and lucked out when I didn't get insta frozen with an ice elemental taking pot shots at me. But my god that class seems really underpowered early on, getting 1 shotted by mobs even when using the shadowstep abilities etc.

I am excited for this game though, love the fact I can jump in and out as needed and not grind forever to pvp.
i agree yet i only got to level 11 on my thief i felt like a paper doll.

EPOQ

[H]ard|Gawd
i agree yet i only got to level 11 on my thief i felt like a paper doll.
I think having multiple weapon sets can make certain situations more approachable. For instance with a thief, if you had your melee set up, and a bow setup, you could switch between the two on the fly. If you are soloing you could open with the 2 bow bomb shots (explosive arrow/choking gas) and then close in with melee and they would already have some damage done to them. I found that started ranged and doing as much damage as I could before the mob got to me and then switching over to melee weapons worked pretty well. I also did some dual pistol kiting when I was soloing which worked pretty well also, assuming you are fighting melee mobs. It's nice that you can actually kite in GW2 and mobs don't run faster than you, so you can easily circle strafe around and avoid getting hit at all when the mobs are melee.

zoobaby

Supreme [H]ardness
I think having multiple weapon sets can make certain situations more approachable. For instance with a thief, if you had your melee set up, and a bow setup, you could switch between the two on the fly. If you are soloing you could open with the 2 bow bomb shots (explosive arrow/choking gas) and then close in with melee and they would already have some damage done to them. I found that started ranged and doing as much damage as I could before the mob got to me and then switching over to melee weapons worked pretty well. I also did some dual pistol kiting when I was soloing which worked pretty well also, assuming you are fighting melee mobs. It's nice that you can actually kite in GW2 and mobs don't run faster than you, so you can easily circle strafe around and avoid getting hit at all when the mobs are melee.
Yes the thief is squishy if you try to stand there toe to toe with mobs. You shouldn't be doing that though...

Melee + Dual Pistol swapping is actually a bit OP. My level 12 thief was able to kite and kill Vetern mobs 2 and 3 levels above it.

Sword/Dagger + Pistols and certain talents = making players angry in WvW...shadowstepping everywhere like a freaking boss.

gentoo

Gawd
Indeed, short bow has a leap away and a 2s cripple that works great, along with the throwing dagger skill you get with dual-wielded daggers that cripples for 5s. Severely underrated, essential for kiting, and damn near required for runners in PvP.

Soloing mobs wasn't my issue, it's when you are doing a world event, you are required to use a bow to fight bosses. There is no way around that as a theif, if you use a sword+dagger combo, you will die in 1 hit, that's what has me rather sad, I think you should be able to shadowstep in toss down a combo and step out, wait for initiative to regen and repeat. I found myself shadowstep in, start a combo and BOOM Fight for your life. Dodging AOE spells on the outside is kind of fun but not how I expect to play a theif all the time.

The shortbow and cripple attack work great 1 on 1...even on main quest lines that say we recommend you are this level....however that wolf havroun quest where has a spell that locks you in place for 5s/that ice spell that does 95% life damage. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, kite him and move around but the instant he leaves the cave he goes back in and regens full life, so you're stuck in a small area where you are forced to get hit.

I do look forward to this game a lot though, most of the guys I played with 14 years ago are going to play it. As a parent with a 2 year old I also look forward to being able to play whenever and be able to compete with the 16 year olds that wonder what the orange thing in the sky is ;) It's just an all around good concept for all ages of game lovers, and the world events are rather fun too, forces everyone into a common goal, and then you can all go destroy some people in WvW. Plus the WvW is a great idea as it's against many other servers :D
The only thing I didn't like about BWE was that I picked a server with "High" pop and it was dead at 12:00am MST.

Gaiden133

[H] Ninja
Was there somewhere to buy the accessory items in the Heart of the Mists? I couldn't find any, just replacement amulets, weapons, and sigils (for the weapons)... I only had 14% crit on my mesmer and I think gimped stats :eek: but still was doing really, really well with it :D, towards the end I was winning 1on1's virtually always and 2on1's most of the time. I played my Mesmer as ~22k hp and a clone-factory type build... loved it more the more I played it.
Naw, unfortunately not haha. I was searching high and low for them too. Typo on my part, im not sure if my power for those chars were that high but getting 1k-2k crits on defaulta attack were very common. My mesmer had around 19k hp as well.

Mesmer overall is intriguing, would like to see what they end up doing to it. As it is, the shattering #system could be improved :)

chockomonkey

[H]F Junkie
So, i'm curious. How is the pvp? Do you find it fun?

Whenever i watch videos of it, it looks boring actually--but i have a feeling i'd think the same thing if i was watching wow pvp and hadn't played wow.

The pve in gw2, however, looks pretty sweet.

FLCLimax

Limp Gawd
it's actually quite fun. you can have stretches of boredom in WvW if you're alone and away from the action. long travel times don't suit today's mmo crowd.

EPOQ

[H]ard|Gawd
it's actually quite fun. you can have stretches of boredom in WvW if you're alone and away from the action. long travel times don't suit today's mmo crowd.
I don't mind it, having run many Barbarians in EQ from Everfrost to Qeynos then waiting on the boat and taking the boat to Freeport. Easy 45 minutes in running/waiting.

Loggahead

Limp Gawd
All,

Here is the info we've been posting for our guild, Smoke & Fire, if any of you are interested in a mature and casual guild for GW2 when it launches:

Smoke & Fire [US – EST/CST, Borlis Pass] is a PVEverything guild which was formed when Guild Wars: Prophecies first released back in 2005. The Smoke & Fire was born out of the frustrations we found at the time when the majority of guilds were stuck on major power trips, took themselves WAY too seriously, and boasted lofty time commitments. SaF was kind of our way of giving them the finger so to speak. Our motto has always been “No Reqs, No Worries!”

We strive for a laid back, helpful, yet casual atmosphere. We have found that being married, having kids, having full time careers, etc. etc. fill our lives with more than enough drama to go around and the last place we want more of it is in an online game!

Across the last 7 years, we have forged some strong friendships, “grew up” together, and watched each other start families, etc. Now we are looking forward to the next chapter of SaF and are stoking the flames for GW2! We have set up some new forums and voice chat in preparation and would love to meet some new like-minded mates who are looking for a quality, long-term community.

If you are looking for a helpful, mature, yet casual GW2 experience, visit us @:
http://smokefire.proboards.com

SMOKE & Fire ~~~ !!!

Peace,
-logga

FLCLimax

Limp Gawd
takes too much effort. if you have any interest in the game it'd do you well to just click on everything i post, you won't regret it.

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
takes too much effort. if you have any interest in the game it'd do you well to just click on everything i post, you won't regret it.
Damn, a whopping 20 key presses are so hard to do! :rolleyes: P.S. that contained virtually nothing of interest anyway.

Ripperjack

Limp Gawd
It's mainly a feature added for female streamers to increase viewer numbers.
It's just a shame that there isn't too many female gamers, if any, that use streaming. Mostly it's some douchy looking guy, dribbling into his headset. :rolleyes:

BiH115

Gif Guy
It's just a shame that there isn't too many female gamers, if any, that use streaming. Mostly it's some douchy looking guy, dribbling into his headset. :rolleyes:
By that logic, everyone's a "douchey looking guy dribbling into his headset".

Skizzy

Supreme [H]ardness
Why do all these livestreamers lately put their damn face in the video?
It's supposed to make the stream more personal... I just find it annoying, myself.
I like seeing their facial reactions. Not sure who does/did play D3 here, but a few awesome examples of this were when Athene supposedly accidently streamed his password to thousands of his viewers... awesome reaction (pictured below). Then when streamers die in Hardcore mode. :D

Gaiden133

[H] Ninja
Man, I can't wait for this game to release. Or at least by permanent open beta.

So many things to explore.

Daggah

2[H]4U
Does GW2 download zones only when you first enter them the way that GW1 did? If so, I might have an issue, dunno yet. My ISP here in the dorms is not great, I usually only get 1.1-1.2 megabytes per second on Steam downloads and other things...but I just tried GW1 for the first time in a while and it was attempting to download zones at like 25 kb/s.

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
Does GW2 download zones only when you first enter them the way that GW1 did? If so, I might have an issue, dunno yet. My ISP here in the dorms is not great, I usually only get 1.1-1.2 megabytes per second on Steam downloads and other things...but I just tried GW1 for the first time in a while and it was attempting to download zones at like 25 kb/s.
Nope. You download the full client in advance (at least for the BWE's so far).

ounumen

Limp Gawd
You do know there is a script you can enter in the game file to have it front load the entire game for GW? I googled it about a year ago and it was the perfect fix.