The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Thanks for your replies guys. As for WOW, well I have tried the free trial once and it did not interest me that much. And I did not like the cartoony graphics and the weird mobs that I have encountered. I am sure it is a good game but it is not for me.
I will see how it goes with GW2 :)

Thanks for your replies guys. As for WOW, well I have tried the free trial once and it did not interest me that much. And I did not like the cartoony graphics and the weird mobs that I have encountered. I am sure it is a good game but it is not for me.

By free trial you mean...? How far did you get? I tend to find that I have to play MMO's a decent amount before it gets interesting and I get really into it. For WoW, it took me quite a few levels to get into the flow of things.

I had a blast with WoW the first couple of expansions, I thought TBC the first expansion was AWESOME, and Wrath got really good on it's last patch. I just got burned out come Cataclysm. But it was a great game the first 5 - 6 years.

I would be happy, if GW2 is more like WoW than GW1. I felt GW1 was more of an Action RPG like Diablo, than a full blown MMO RPG like EQ2 / WoW.

I like an open ended world, I can wander off anywhere I like in the world, not have invisible fences like GW1 stopping you from going off the linear path, and no jumping over stuff in GW1 :rolleyes: The original Guild Wars just felt too closed and fenced it, never a fan of the game, couldn't get lost in a good quest and do whatever I wanted, was too much of a game on rails, and focused heavily on multiplayer action, which cool, but I like my MMO to offer both, a good deep quest storyline, + Raids.

From what I have been reading Guild Wars 2 is radically different, and more open like WoW, than closed off like GW1 ?

Last edited:
I would be happy, if GW2 is more like WoW than GW1. I felt GW1 was more of an Action RPG like Diablo, than a full blown MMO RPG like EQ2 / WoW.

I like an open ended world, I can wander off anywhere I like in the world, not have invisible fences like GW1 stopping you from going off the linear path, and no jumping over stuff in GW1 :rolleyes: The original Guild Wars just felt too closed and fenced it, never a fan of the game, couldn't get lost in a good quest and do whatever I wanted, was too much of a game on rails, and focused heavily on multiplayer action, which cool, but I like my MMO to offer both, a good deep quest storyline, + Raids.

From what I have been reading Guild Wars 2 is radically different, and more open like WoW, than closed off like GW1 ?

as far as the world design it's persistent like most actual mmo's. it has some common mechanics and systems in common with WoW, some with GW and others with neither game.. it's nowhere near as simple as "it's like WoW" but that's how people tend to express there point of view on the differences from the first game.

I really want to play beta just because I love this game, but I think I am going to pass on this one since the actual release is just over a month away. Don't want to spoil anything else.

All,

Here is the info we've been posting for our guild, Smoke & Fire, if any of you are interested in a mature and casual guild for GW2 when it launches:

Smoke & Fire [US – EST/CST, Borlis Pass] is a PVEverything guild which was formed when Guild Wars: Prophecies first released back in 2005. The Smoke & Fire was born out of the frustrations we found at the time when the majority of guilds were stuck on major power trips, took themselves WAY too seriously, and boasted lofty time commitments. SaF was kind of our way of giving them the finger so to speak. Our motto has always been “No Reqs, No Worries!”

We strive for a laid back, helpful, yet casual atmosphere. We have found that being married, having kids, having full time careers, etc. etc. fill our lives with more than enough drama to go around and the last place we want more of it is in an online game!

Across the last 7 years, we have forged some strong friendships, “grew up” together, and watched each other start families, etc. Now we are looking forward to the next chapter of SaF and are stoking the flames for GW2! We have set up some new forums and voice chat in preparation and would love to meet some new like-minded mates who are looking for a quality, long-term community.

If you are looking for a helpful, mature, yet casual GW2 experience, visit us @:
http://smokefire.proboards.com

SMOKE & Fire ~~~ !!!

Peace,
-logga

Heads up, we have one beta key to give away for this weekend's event and will be giving it out this Thursday, the 19th.

See this thread for details:
http://smokefire.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=gw2&action=display&thread=54

I quoted my original post in this thread so you can see what we're about as a guild before visiting us.

-logga

game looks amazing, cant wait. Just got blizz to cancle my annual pass with them. The free D3 seemed like an awesome deal but it was kind of a flop.

game looks amazing, cant wait. Just got blizz to cancle my annual pass with them. The free D3 seemed like an awesome deal but it was kind of a flop.

I have to agree, D3 was a total failure in my opinion.

I preordered GW2 and am hoping the PvE is at least as good as GW1

I have to agree, D3 was a total failure in my opinion.

I preordered GW2 and am hoping the PvE is at least as good as GW1

Been plaing beta since the first beta weekend events in April, i have to say its a blast, keeps my attention, i was a long time WoW player and right off the bat i had that feeling of when i started playing Wow in 2005 that this was the game im gonna stick with.

Been plaing beta since the first beta weekend events in April, i have to say its a blast, keeps my attention, i was a long time WoW player and right off the bat i had that feeling of when i started playing Wow in 2005 that this was the game im gonna stick with.

Sooo....is GW2 anything like WoW? Because from what I have seen of WoW it looks annoying as hell.

Sooo....is GW2 anything like WoW? Because from what I have seen of WoW it looks annoying as hell.

No not at all, its a whole different experience leveling and such, what i meant was that i instantly had a good feeling about the game, when leveling it really doesn't feel like a grind to me, haven't touch PvP but i might give it a try this weekend when the last beta hits.

No not at all, its a whole different experience leveling and such, what i meant was that i instantly had a good feeling about the game, when leveling it really doesn't feel like a grind to me, haven't touch PvP but i might give it a try this weekend when the last beta hits.

I would recommend trying the PvP. Honestly, just going into the mists with each class is a pretty good idea even if you never step foot into PvP. It allows you to see all the skills unlocked and mess with different builds / itemization to get an idea of what a level 80 for each class is like.

As far as WOW goes... I think Arenanet put it best and I'll paraphrase: Most MMO's like WOW are all about getting to the 'end game'. You level just to get there and the game starts at the 'end game'. The game starts at level 1 for GW2. Your goal isn't to get to level cap and do all the 'end game' stuff. The stuff to do in the game starts at level 1.

I am frustrated. I really want to play this weekend. I can not seem to get the game preordered. Every time I try to buy it with a credit card (I've tried 3 different ones) I get the message: The credit card information you entered was invalid. Please try again. So I try Paypal, different but similar error o_O

I send a message to support. Hopefully I'll hear something. When I Googled the error messages I see there are others with the problem too, but it seems to be mostly people outside the country (US that is) and most of the messages are from a couple months ago. I looked back a few pages in this thread but didn't see anything about this. Is anyone here having similar trouble?

I am frustrated. I really want to play this weekend. I can not seem to get the game preordered. Every time I try to buy it with a credit card (I've tried 3 different ones) I get the message: The credit card information you entered was invalid. Please try again. So I try Paypal, different but similar error o_O

I send a message to support. Hopefully I'll hear something. When I Googled the error messages I see there are others with the problem too, but it seems to be mostly people outside the country (US that is) and most of the messages are from a couple months ago. I looked back a few pages in this thread but didn't see anything about this. Is anyone here having similar trouble?

I changed emails and it worked. It appears that they tied the initial failure to my email I was using and so no matter what I did, it continued to fail (without actually even attempting to charg my CC). So, if any of you run into this, and you don't want to wait for support to help you, use a different email address.

If you want to pre order it try greenmangaming.com , they have a 20% off code ( COSYO-UDIDN-TGET1 ) that should work with the game to bring it to 20% the price.

Yeah but would i even get a code if i pre ordered now?

Edit- Got code straight away installing atm

Last edited:
So what is the best class to try and most fun to play?

They are all quite a bit different, so I'd recommend trying them all out. This is the first game I've ever been torn on what to play first. Normally I can make a decision with a bit of research, but even with hands-on with GW2, I still can't decide.

They are all quite a bit different, so I'd recommend trying them all out. This is the first game I've ever been torn on what to play first. Normally I can make a decision with a bit of research, but even with hands-on with GW2, I still can't decide.

Agreed. Ele is a definite for me, but I am having difficulty deciding on what other professions to choose. They all have interesting points, and none of the professions have qualities that absolutely rule them out for me. This is a good thing!

I have played a warrior to lvl 30 but if I had to do it over again I would go with the ranger. Beta starts at 3 est 12 pst.

I have played a warrior to lvl 30 but if I had to do it over again I would go with the ranger. Beta starts at 3 est 12 pst.

I like rangers a lot but they have become the most dime-a-dozen class in pretty much every game that has them. I'll probably play one as an alt but focus on a class that is more under utilized as my main.

I changed emails and it worked. It appears that they tied the initial failure to my email I was using and so no matter what I did, it continued to fail (without actually even attempting to charg my CC). So, if any of you run into this, and you don't want to wait for support to help you, use a different email address.

NCSoft seems to be pretty strict about CC fraud. At one point, I tried buying the GW1 expansions from their store and since my brother had bought it moments earlier, they restricted me from buying it due to having the same billing address but different credentials etc. Perplexing. I ended up buying it from Direct2Drive.

Back