The Elder Scrolls Online

Got my gf to play WoW with me once.

Never again will I do such a stupid thing.

I can imagine several reasons why, but why for you in particular? :p

Anyway, my GF plays a ton of Skyrim already (she has way more time into it than I do, like 300+ hours I think) so this isn't THAT much different. Honestly, any game I can get her to play cooperatively with me is good for me.

My biggest problem with the game was a 5 second 'freeze' lag bug that hit randomly...apparently, its a known issue they are working on that one player told me about when I complained about it in /zone...I thought it was my machine but he says everyone gets it...though I watched livestreams and those guys never got it

[...]

the funny thing is, as I played the game, it felt like gw2..i think the questing mechanics made it feel that way..like getting buckets of water to put out fires...gw2 had very similiar quests..i suppose the mmo genre hits the wall with new ideas..i've stated before, if you played one mmo, you've played them all

The GF and I both got that freeze bug on our machines at some point while playing, so it is indeed not just your machine. It actually froze for more like 10-20 seconds for us...almost made me wonder if the game had crashed.

I agree with you that it does feel a lot like GW2, but then again GW2 is the only MMO I have put significant time into, so it may just be, as you said, if you've played one MMO you've played them all basically. I gotta say that the GW2 world feels a lot more alive for the most part than ESO, and a lot of the mechanics are way better. I know ESO is still in beta, but it's only a month from release so I am wondering how much they are going to change at this point.

Also, what is up with the harvesting stuff where only one person can harvest it? I had people run up and grab stuff before I could a bunch of times during the weekend and it was fucking annoying. I know it comes back fairly quickly but still, why not just have it be persistent on a per-client basis?

I wish the tutorial was like Tera's where they start you off at level 20 so you can see if you're going to like a class or not. Then after the tutorial you are level 1 and in the real starter zone. I doubt the game can go F2P because the XBOX crowd will supply them with a large supply of cash monthly. Can't have F2P for 1/2 the player base and B2P for the other half.

I can imagine several reasons why, but why for you in particular? :p

Anyway, my GF plays a ton of Skyrim already (she has way more time into it than I do, like 300+ hours I think) so this isn't THAT much different. Honestly, any game I can get her to play cooperatively with me is good for me.

I thought getting my girlfriend to play any game with me would be the greatest thing in the world. A hot gf that games? What more could I ask for?

Whelp, turns out she's not just bad at WoW, she's plain shit. It took us 3 hours to level to 5 because not only did she not know what she was doing, she had to keep stopping and "/dance", or "/silly". She couldn't use her mouse at all, so whenever she would turn around, she would with the left arrow key. There is way too much to type out. Me typing this is giving me a headache.

I thought getting my girlfriend to play any game with me would be the greatest thing in the world. A hot gf that games? What more could I ask for?

Whelp, turns out she's not just bad at WoW, she's plain shit. It took us 3 hours to level to 5 because not only did she not know what she was doing, she had to keep stopping and "/dance", or "/silly". She couldn't use her mouse at all, so whenever she would turn around, she would with the left arrow key. There is way too much to type out. Me typing this is giving me a headache.

Ouch. Have not experienced any of those issues with mine. She does like to "explore" a lot, but in an RPG/MMO that is fine, and even encouraged a lot of the time.

She made it to level 7 I think in ESO this weekend, but she only played a little bit on Saturday and some of Sunday.

same boat, though it's my wife and now we have kids, so it's probably better for everyone that she doesn't play an MMO, lol (or any video game for that matter)

Seems pretty standard MMO to me but with slightly more engaging quest dialogue. If you're a fan of the setting I can see how it can be appealing.

Graphics are fine, combat is a hair more interesting than WoW, and crafting was functional enough. I will say this about crafting, whoever designed the interface there should be shot. Its so fucking confusing and weird. You have to "extract" raw materials to refine harvested shit into usable mats. Then having to buy your "race specific" item to make anything is equally annoying.

The fucking refine option is buried like 3 tabs deep. Its ridiculous.

They did make soul trapping and enchanting easier I thought. But its still annoying buying 25 shards to trap souls to keep your dual swords charged which deplete in 15 mins of combat. Ugh.

I thought it was amusing that Dumbledore aka The Prophet was talking to me early on.

I dunno most of you all covered the problems outside of crafting in these last few pages, I didn't read the entire thread, so I don't need to keep on that.

The price tag on this is steep. Unless I win a stupid sum of money gambling this weekend its not happening.

I dunno, I hope it does well. Good competition in the MMO market is good for us consumers.

Been playing for the past couple days... Pretty MEH

My main issue is the mega server. I wish they had PvP and PvE servers so I could have Open world PvP with the three factions going at it. I'm not of instanced PvP since coming from UO and SWG was all open world, but I get why people like it.

I'm hoping The Repopulation and EQN will fill those holes.

they should have just turned this into a Skyrim mod and developed Elder Scrolls 6 instead

No I think they should have released Morrowind, Skyrim, Daggerfall and Oblivion in one large release with updated engine/graphics as a single game but with drop in multiplayer built in from the ground. I think that would rock...

No I think they should have released Morrowind, Skyrim, Daggerfall and Oblivion in one large release with updated engine/graphics as a single game but with drop in multiplayer built in from the ground. I think that would rock...

Co-op Elder Scrolls ANYTHING would have been terrific. As a MMO? Bleh.

they should have just turned this into a Skyrim mod and developed Elder Scrolls 6 instead

This game is developed by Zenimax Online, a completely different studio from Bethseda (who develops the single player TES series).

This game is developed by Zenimax Online, a completely different studio from Bethseda (who develops the single player TES series).

I know it's a different studio but I'm sure this will affect the release of the next ES game...they are not going to release a new (single player) game anytime soon that might compete or take away players from ESO

Yea with the way people have been saying the world is not seamless, I don't know wtf they are thinking. Hopefully we'll get a co-op mode in the next Elder Scrolls.

but considering this:
I know it's a different studio but I'm sure this will affect the release of the next ES game...they are not going to release a new (single player) game anytime soon that might compete or take away players from ESO

We may never see a co-op Elder scrolls = /

I got lucky I guess. Meet the now wife in Molten Core :p

My main issue is the mega server. I wish they had PvP and PvE servers so I could have Open world PvP with the three factions going at it. I'm not of instanced PvP since coming from UO and SWG was all open world, but I get why people like it.

I'm hoping The Repopulation and EQN will fill those holes.

This isn't instanced PVP, each campaign is essentially a traditional MMO "server" holding thousands of people simultaneously (with many more assigned to it). It does not end or reset other than for scoring purposes only.

Meh, I can't consititute paying monthly for something that has only its PvP to redeem itself. Then again, I've never been huge on PvP, so it's not exactly shocking.

Not for $60 + $15/mo, anyway. F2P I would definitely give this a try. Maybe even if it was a $30 one-time payment.

You still planning on picking this up man? I think I've changed my mind...I just don't see it being something I'll play or be eager to log in for...meh.

I already pre ordered cause I'm retarded like that. I'll like it for a month then stop. Shit, I'll be surprised if I hit a month.

I just picked up a 1440p monitor and a gtx 780 TI so I'm hoping my new gaming experience will keep me interested in most games for awhile.

I hope I'm not bent over a table for this, but I sincerly hope ESO fails and the powers that be realize that we lifelong ES fans really want the immersive single-player instead of a over-sized world populated by rejects with names like ButtBoy69 and MaximumDamage2000.

I already pre ordered cause I'm retarded like that. I'll like it for a month then stop. Shit, I'll be surprised if I hit a month.

I just picked up a 1440p monitor and a gtx 780 TI so I'm hoping my new gaming experience will keep me interested in most games for awhile.

Good plan on the monitor, less so on the Ti ($200 premium isn't worth it IMO). It'll be a great experience though for sure. Let me know what you think of the game when you get it...Steam info? PM? :)

what i want is Skyrim with co-op not DAOC with elderscrolls skin
think Boarderlands

Sigh... here's my writeup about:

the major changes for the worse coming announced on the Psijic forums, and some already in-game

So they've basically announced they're removing UI addons for basics like seeing your health and mana amounts numerically, custom target plates, and pretty much everything, on their Psijic boards and then locked the thread of people arguing against the decision. Their statements internally to a guild leader were that they aren't targeting an MMO or ES audience but rather intend to make their own game vision. (Beats me what the hell they think they're targeting then with an MMORPG with an Elder Scrolls skin).

They also have in the latest patch (0.181) made anything but linear questing through the main zone questlines completely unviable for gaining XP or leveling. Grinding mobs with a partner has been nerfed into the ground with a poor XP split; PVP earnings of XP are orders of magnitude (literally) slower than grinding even; and they made exploration XP give virtually nothing too. So there goes any of the non-linearity the game had, too.

Crafting has been nerfed significantly from being some of the most powerful gear in the game to some of the weakest top-level items you can equip. They have taken out any value to it except for making potions, when previously it was a strong game system.

Veteran Rank XP has also been nerfed so that you must do every single quest in the zones in order to even come close (and that isn't enough, believe it or not, to level you fully!) to getting to VR10. Same as normal XP in terms of now having no options. I guess they think people will grind out the rest? You currently will get to around VR6 and if lucky, 7, with the current build, and VR's 8, 9, and 10 take upwards of 9 million XP total to reach (for all 3 combined), while killing a monster gives around 100-200xp as does a player.

My pre-order has been cancelled, and will stay that way. The level of arrogance the developers there are displaying is off the charts, and they have no direction in mind for the game very obviously since they're reacting to blog posts in a knee-jerk manner, ignoring their core tester group and locking threads, barely responding in general over the last couple of months. Even if they fixed things, who's to say it won't just change and be gutted out like so many other things in a short time? Not worth my time, money, or effort anymore. The major issues now far outnumber and overshadow the major aspect that was good, Cyrodiil, and flaw it in some cases such as removing the addons that provided basic combat information for PVP. It's a completely reckless leadership that simply does not deserve my cash, and really anyone else's if you ask me. Go donate to Camelot Unchained if you want RvR. This game won't have it.

I for one am glad they are cracking down on the add ons.

Don't get me wrong, I support add ons that give you info your own characters, rearrange your health bars, change the cosmetic look, a damage log, etc.

However I HATED how there were already mods out there (IE the Tamriel Foundry combat mod) that showed your enemies health/mana/stamina, casting bars, their buffs, allt his info that you should NOT know or have access to, tha'ts paramount to cheating imo, like playing poker and seeing your enemies cards.

However I do not get why they are nerfing non-quest exp so hard? Exploring exp nerf? That makes no sense at all.

As A TES game it should reward exploring greatly and not make it feel that people hav eot simply follow quest-chains to gain exp, I thought that was the point of that?

However I do not get why they are nerfing non-quest exp so hard? Exploring exp nerf? That makes no sense at all.

simple...its a sub based game...they want you to play a LONG time to keep paying that sub

the crafting nerf is just bad..period..so many crafters thought this was 'the one'..they will be very upset

gotta respect Tiger for cancelling his order...the man is the expert on this game here with hundreds of hours of testing.

will be interesting to see where this goes now

My pre - order remains canceled and my fears appear justified. Just like SWG the devs change everything up just before release and ignore their audience, feedback, and criticisms and go forward with decisions that are detrimental to long term health of their product. Good riddance and the potential of a very viable mmo has just gone down the tubes.

Sigh... here's my writeup about:

the major changes for the worse coming announced on the Psijic forums, and some already in-game

So they've basically announced they're removing UI addons for basics like seeing your health and mana amounts numerically, custom target plates, and pretty much everything, on their Psijic boards and then locked the thread of people arguing against the decision. Their statements internally to a guild leader were that they aren't targeting an MMO or ES audience but rather intend to make their own game vision. (Beats me what the hell they think they're targeting then with an MMORPG with an Elder Scrolls skin).

They also have in the latest patch (0.181) made anything but linear questing through the main zone questlines completely unviable for gaining XP or leveling. Grinding mobs with a partner has been nerfed into the ground with a poor XP split; PVP earnings of XP are orders of magnitude (literally) slower than grinding even; and they made exploration XP give virtually nothing too. So there goes any of the non-linearity the game had, too.

Crafting has been nerfed significantly from being some of the most powerful gear in the game to some of the weakest top-level items you can equip. They have taken out any value to it except for making potions, when previously it was a strong game system.

Veteran Rank XP has also been nerfed so that you must do every single quest in the zones in order to even come close (and that isn't enough, believe it or not, to level you fully!) to getting to VR10. Same as normal XP in terms of now having no options. I guess they think people will grind out the rest? You currently will get to around VR6 and if lucky, 7, with the current build, and VR's 8, 9, and 10 take upwards of 9 million XP total to reach (for all 3 combined), while killing a monster gives around 100-200xp as does a player.

My pre-order has been cancelled, and will stay that way. The level of arrogance the developers there are displaying is off the charts, and they have no direction in mind for the game very obviously since they're reacting to blog posts in a knee-jerk manner, ignoring their core tester group and locking threads, barely responding in general over the last couple of months. Even if they fixed things, who's to say it won't just change and be gutted out like so many other things in a short time? Not worth my time, money, or effort anymore. The major issues now far outnumber and overshadow the major aspect that was good, Cyrodiil, and flaw it in some cases such as removing the addons that provided basic combat information for PVP. It's a completely reckless leadership that simply does not deserve my cash, and really anyone else's if you ask me. Go donate to Camelot Unchained if you want RvR. This game won't have it.

Very quick turnaround from the high praise you've been giving it the last few weeks

This sounds like Warhammer Online all over again. Ignore the core audience's good advice, do the exact opposite, kill the game as quickly as possible.

What a joke.

Very quick turnaround from the high praise you've been giving it the last few weeks

And?

Is a person not allowed to change their mind when a product is altered? ESO is fundamentally changing their product shortly before launch and when asked about it, they say to go f off, we're doing it our own game vision now that doesn't conform to what we originally stated.

Back