The Elder Scrolls Online

I don't want an MMO, I want co-op. :(

Pretty much how the entire Elder Scrolls fanbase thinks. Hopefully they'll actually listen when their MMO flops. If it doesn't, then I don't think we'll ever have anything to make them listen... after all, if the MMO is doing well they can just say "well if you want multiplayer Elder Scrolls, we have the MMO for that!!"

Oh man a co-op Skyrim is something Ive dreamt about. I *would* even pay a subscription fee for a game like that.

I would love a TES title with Borderlands 2's implementation of co-op, where you can have people joining and leaving the host's game seamlessly.. I can't think of a game that did co-op more seamlessly.

Oh man a co-op Skyrim is something Ive dreamt about. I *would* even pay a subscription fee for a game like that.

I would love a TES title with Borderlands 2's implementation of co-op, where you can have people joining and leaving the host's game seamlessly.. I can't think of a game that did co-op more seamlessly.

Borderlands 2 style Skyrim ( or whatever else ) would be absolutely amazing. I think myself and every other fan has been screaming this for years now. Instead, they shit all over the IP with this MMO.

i'll wait for free to play. that "hiding" is pretty stupid imo.

that's what i thought myself... until i played it. it isn't a co-op skyrim in the slightest. nor does it feel to me to be a mmo dressed up in skyrim mechanics etc.

that's what i thought myself... until i played it. it isn't a co-op skyrim in the slightest. nor does it feel to me to be a mmo dressed up in skyrim mechanics etc.

But all the end game beta testers said this game was the shit! :p

Video showing small group tactics in pvp,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH_xllIYr3k&html5=1

(skip to 5:22 for a great moment).

I think the way they did hiding (making it open for everyone and not just "rogues/a skill you train) will make small scale pvp even more viable over zergs.

That looks fucking awesome. Too bad it'll be next to impossible to find a guild that coordinated.

Last edited:

As stupid as most mmo's where hiding is usually regulated to rogues who "pop invis" and can literally run up to your face without you seeing them?

Hiding in ESO has a range to it (if you get close you're seen, as well if you approach from the front).

Nightblades still have stealth based abilities and an "invis" thing like most rogues.

Not to mention there's also a skill called Magelight which increases the detection range on stealth/hidden people.

Video showing small group tactics in pvp,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH_xllIYr3k&html5=1

(skip to 5:22 for a great moment).

I think the way they did hiding (making it open for everyone and not just "rogues/a skill you train) will make small scale pvp even more viable over zergs.

Looks like they just team up on smaller groups, but I haven't played so maybe I'm missing something? Also, how does the archery work? Homing arrows?

Looks like they just team up on smaller groups, but I haven't played so maybe I'm missing something? Also, how does the archery work? Homing arrows?

They are in enemy territory and surrounded by mostly enemies (which you can see earlier in the video). They are just using hit and run tactics on people that get near them that they can take.

Unlike say most mmo's, where it's zergfest (IE GW2) with large groups just running from one area to the next. Because anyone can hide this allows for smaller groups to use tactics like this to help coutner zergs and the enemy factions.

Archery (and magic) use a soft-lock system, where if your mouse is near a target it will hit that target, I would have vastly preferred an actual hit = hit and a miss = a miss style though (like Mount and Blade, imo that's the best archery in a game to date).

played beta weekend for about an hour. combat was loose and emotionless, events lacked thrill.

Felt like any other basic RPG re-skinned.

That video was great, I'm sure there will be a lot of that come launch. When they all unstealth at once and shoot some poor bastard...lol, imagine being on the receiving end of that. We used to do all-stealth groups in DAOC but it would just be the DPS classes (archers and rogues), here you can have a whole damn balanced party in hiding. That's awesome. A coordinated group in ESO can wreck things. Literally, if they all stealth up and build catapults at once.

There won't be any shortage of pvp guilds, that's for sure. And you can join multiple guilds so you could be in a serious pvp guild and an endgame pve guild at the same time. Personally I really love that part, since I can be in a guild with RL friends and several internet communities all at once.

I played the last beta weekend, looking good, I'll stick with my preorder. The revamped start sequence worked out - you start right at your main city if you've finished the tutorial before. The tutorial islands are skipped entirely. All my UI mods continued to work too, thankfully. I'm ready for launch and decided on my character, a nightblade healer, a good mix of support and utility.

They are in enemy territory and surrounded by mostly enemies (which you can see earlier in the video). They are just using hit and run tactics on people that get near them that they can take.

Unlike say most mmo's, where it's zergfest (IE GW2) with large groups just running from one area to the next. Because anyone can hide this allows for smaller groups to use tactics like this to help coutner zergs and the enemy factions.

Archery (and magic) use a soft-lock system, where if your mouse is near a target it will hit that target, I would have vastly preferred an actual hit = hit and a miss = a miss style though (like Mount and Blade, imo that's the best archery in a game to date).

Yep, also the huge literal size of Cyrodiil opens up a lot more strategy and small-scale encounters, as well as spreading out the zerg. That's the single worst thing GW2 did when trying to copy DAOC's system, was making the zone so small.

I've decided to preorder a discounted digital copy and play still at this point, despite my annoyance with the devs' communication practices and some game design issues, simply because there isn't much out there for 3-faction AvA/RvR-style gameplay on the MMO market right now. There's GW2 which had a poor implementation with a horrible "downed" system and tiny zones for the WvW; WAR was 2-faction and had been in maintenance mode for years before shutting down; DAOC is unfortunately extremely old and somewhat outdated at this point in controls, UI, graphics, and overall design; and Camelot Unchained is another year and a half out or so I'd wager, from launch.

Am I as interested in the game as I was before? Hell no. However, it's worth playing for now, simply for lack of a better option, for me at least. Adventure Zones are being tested sometime post-launch they said on the PTS boards tonight with our current PTS characters, and the new build that will basically be the launch one is being pushed tonight as well (server just went down now, literally)... so I'll see how badly they butcher the user interface and API further. I'm not going to lie though, they've made a slew of horrendous mistakes that are going to come back to chomp them in the ass soon after launch, and are going to have to revamp the UI, fix up crafting, and work on Adventure Zones + other veteran content quickly once they see their numbers, in all likelihood, plummet. Will they do it in time? I guess that depends how fast they realize they've made big mistakes once their sales slow down... just my two cents here at least.

played beta weekend for about an hour. combat was loose and emotionless, events lacked thrill.

Felt like any other basic RPG re-skinned.

That's pretty generic. What did you play? What level did you get? Did you try Cyrodiil? What class were you on, and what build? I could literally post your comment in any MMO thread....

That's pretty generic. What did you play? What level did you get? Did you try Cyrodiil? What class were you on, and what build? I could literally post your comment in any MMO thread....

Yeah... that would be because almost every MMO in the last 10 years is exactly the same with different character models. The engine design hasn't changed hardly at all. Lock on, mash buttons. Some have morphed it slightly with "soft lock" or "target seeking", but for the most part it's just a new coat of paint on the same gameplay that everyone has used since the beginning of time.

Yep, also the huge literal size of Cyrodiil opens up a lot more strategy and small-scale encounters, as well as spreading out the zerg. That's the single worst thing GW2 did when trying to copy DAOC's system, was making the zone so small.

I've decided to preorder a discounted digital copy and play still at this point, despite my annoyance with the devs' communication practices and some game design issues, simply because there isn't much out there for 3-faction AvA/RvR-style gameplay on the MMO market right now. There's GW2 which had a poor implementation with a horrible "downed" system and tiny zones for the WvW; WAR was 2-faction and had been in maintenance mode for years before shutting down; DAOC is unfortunately extremely old and somewhat outdated at this point in controls, UI, graphics, and overall design; and Camelot Unchained is another year and a half out or so I'd wager, from launch.

Am I as interested in the game as I was before? Hell no. However, it's worth playing for now, simply for lack of a better option, for me at least. Adventure Zones are being tested sometime post-launch they said on the PTS boards tonight with our current PTS characters, and the new build that will basically be the launch one is being pushed tonight as well (server just went down now, literally)... so I'll see how badly they butcher the user interface and API further. I'm not going to lie though, they've made a slew of horrendous mistakes that are going to come back to chomp them in the ass soon after launch, and are going to have to revamp the UI, fix up crafting, and work on Adventure Zones + other veteran content quickly once they see their numbers, in all likelihood, plummet. Will they do it in time? I guess that depends how fast they realize they've made big mistakes once their sales slow down... just my two cents here at least.

Regarding the UI, I really hope they stand by their statements about policing it and not allowing "advantageous" UI elements in the game.

The Tamriel Foundry mod added way too much in terms of you seeing your enemies magicka/stamina, castbar, buffs, etc.

Also like other mmorpgs with DPS meters and things it can get DRASTICAlLY out of hand with people literally asking for DPS meters and wanting to know this info so you can group with them and other things.

Having info about your own character, being able to move windows, make fonts bigger, provide information for your character (IE your attacks, dmg, etc) should be ok though.

I just hope they don't flip flop and allow the full open UI mods, In PVP enemies shouldn't see jack diddly about your buffs/castbar and your stamina/magicka or anything.

I'll be paying attention even more closely over the next week or so. If they keep the add-on API completely locked out I'm going to have to pass on this game. The game would have been unplayable for me with a triple monitor setup and the default UI over the past couple weekend tests...

I'll be paying attention even more closely over the next week or so. If they keep the add-on API completely locked out I'm going to have to pass on this game. The game would have been unplayable for me with a triple monitor setup and the default UI over the past couple weekend tests...

They did not lock out the API completely.

The Main changes (taken from the TES forums): – Removed a number of deprecated events and functions. – Locked down access to Unit information and ability cast functionality. – Locked down access to combat events so that only your own outgoing spells can be monitored with any level of detail. Incoming damage and healing from spells have been restricted to only showing the value and not the name of the spell, type of damage or healing, or who is casting it.

They just cut back on seeing a lot of the enemies information (magica, castbar, buffs, etc).

Some people say they went a bit far (you can't see what the spell is that hit you for "x" dmg for example, even if it's a friendly spell).

However you will still have add ons and ones that for example extend the UI for triple monitors or such, should be ok.

However you will still have add ons and ones that for example extend the UI for triple monitors or such, should be ok.

The UI is locked down to the center monitor for multimonitor setups? Eyefinity, Surround, or both?

I was in multiple beta weekends for this and it was pretty sub-par. Nothing new or interesting, just a cookie-cutter MMO...

That's how it appears to me in the vids as well. Isn't there a mod for the game that allows coop play? That's what I'd be most interested in.

Start times for early access players has been announced.

Here are the times straight from the Polygon article for those at work. ;)

Those with five-day early access, given with a preorder of the digital edition directly from Bethesda's online store, will begin Sunday, March 30 at these times:

North America: 7 a.m. ET.
United Kingdom and Ireland: 12 p.m. WET.
Central Europe: 1 p.m. CET.
Australia: 10 p.m. AET.
Singapore: 7 p.m. SGT.

Three-day early access, given to those who preordered the game from a retailer, will begin Tuesday, April 1 at these times:

Finally, The Elder Scrolls Online will launch on these dates and times:

North America: 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, April 3.
United Kingdom and Ireland: 12 a.m. WET on Friday, April 4.
Central Europe: 1 a.m. CET on Friday, April 4.
Australia: 10 a.m. AET on Friday, April 4.
Singapore: 7 a.m. SGT on Friday, April 4.

Start times for early access players has been announced.

Here are the times straight from the Polygon article for those at work. ;)

Those with five-day early access, given with a preorder of the digital edition directly from Bethesda's online store, will begin Sunday, March 30 at these times:

Three-day early access, given to those who preordered the game from a retailer, will begin Tuesday, April 1 at these times:

Finally, The Elder Scrolls Online will launch on these dates and times:

North America: 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, April 3.
United Kingdom and Ireland: 12 a.m. WET on Friday, April 4.
Central Europe: 1 a.m. CET on Friday, April 4.
Australia: 10 a.m. AET on Friday, April 4.
Singapore: 7 a.m. SGT on Friday, April 4.

Awesome... I wasn't aware I had to buy it from Bethesda's website in order to get the 5 day access.

You don't....5 days is if you buy the Imperial edition, 3 days is for the standard edition.

So are we in agreement that TESO is going to be along the SWTOR timeline from people maxing out (couple weeks) to going free 2 play (about 6 months)?

I completely agree.. you damn well know, 6 months from now, that imperial edition will be had for 40 bucks if not cheaper

With the imperial edition you get a free horse (they are quite expensive in game) + the imperial race (which you can't get outside of it).

I say if you care about the imperials (They have one of the best racial bonuses for tanky characters) it's ok.

Otherwise you can "buy" a horse in the cash shop (though it's not white like the imperial).

Or, as others have said, just wait on the game entirely and play it when it's F2P in 6 months.

(remembers being piled on by the same people doom/glooming this game for saying gw2 would flop, and it did pretty quickly empty out)

Hilariously ironic and hypocritical people.

Sooo, can we get a show of hands who's actually going be playing at launch?

*raises hand and waits for the other 2-3 people*

(remembers being piled on by the same people doom/glooming this game for saying gw2 would flop, and it did pretty quickly empty out)

Hilariously ironic and hypocritical people.

Pretty sweet that you bring up GW2, actually. ESO should have taken notes

Back