The Elder Scrolls Online

been playing the beta for a couple of hours...can't say I love it or hate it but I can say that I definitely won't be paying a monthly fee to play this...it's a fun game for what it is...if it ever goes FTP then I could see myself spending time on this...everyone says to play past Level 15 as it gets better so I'll do that

Those have been my thoughts as well.

I'll return when they go FTP, however short amount of time that will take.

I was excited to give the game another go as I got 3-4 others into the beta...but the game had other plans for me.

I kept getting that launching issue where the play button would grey out, ESO.exe starts and then disappears. Tried everything in the book pertaining to the user settings and repairing install. Currently re-downloading...bad omen?

Looks very pretty, but you can tell it's BETA. I am running into lots of bugs which can be annoying. Hopefully they fix those. I am only level 10 right now so I hope it picks up.

If anyone else has a spare beta key It would be much appreciated.

I'm not making the mistake of buying on release and subbing, only to leave after a month. Not had much luck with MMOs since dropping WOW after Cataclysm released.

KMJD7WGTCNRLMJX4TX3T

Not sure if it's been used or not (I posted it on another forum but not sure if anyone took it).

LMK if you use it and it works.

Re-downloaded. Got it working...would much rather spend the time looking up Black Desert videos *sigh* :(

Not sure I will be buying. Couple more BETAs left, correct?

For me it just feels like stuff is missing. It's a beta, so that's probably true. I can tell you I don't like the UI, just as I didn't like the stock UI of Skyrim. GW2 does UI right.

For me it just feels like stuff is missing. It's a beta, so that's probably true. I can tell you I don't like the UI, just as I didn't like the stock UI of Skyrim. GW2 does UI right.

There are addons that help the crappy basic UI.

The damn UI freezing issue that was a PITA in the last beta weekend is still there. I was hoping they had that issue fixed. It's very very annoying.

Why not call add-ons what they are? MODS

Anyway, so far I would rather play skyrim. The game is dead boring at the start and I think they should have tried to make it a bit more unique and interesting. As of right now, I don't think much of it. Neither do most of my friends who went back to playing brokenfield with me.

So I was curious....when does the game get challenging? I'm like 15 hours in and have not died yet. It's not like I'm particularly good at it either, it's just really easy so far.

Dont worry, it is one of this crappiest beta's ever. They made it sound like, oh it is going to be great, bring a friend, here is an extra beta key etc.. and the server has been randomly disconnecting every 45 minutes for the last 8 hours lol. Total fail. Pm ed the beta key if you still want to try.

Anyway, so far I would rather play skyrim. The game is dead boring at the start and I think they should have tried to make it a bit more unique and interesting. As of right now, I don't think much of it. Neither do most of my friends who went back to playing brokenfield with me.

when does it get un-boring?...I'm struggling to keep playing because the game is so dull

I couldn't put down the Titanfall beta...with ESO I have to force myself to keep playing

Just cant really get anywhere on the game, im not making another character the amount of bugged starter quests is a joke. How can starter quests even be bugged. ..fk knows

when does it get un-boring?...I'm struggling to keep playing because the game is so dull

I couldn't put down the Titanfall beta...with ESO I have to force myself to keep playing

Just watched AngryJoe's little playthrough. Even ignoring his commentary - the game just looks boring. They want to charge $60 and $15 a month at minimum, and so far I've seen nothing that justifies the price.

They want to charge $60 and $15 a month at minimum, and so far I've seen nothing that justifies the price.

I'm gonna reserve a full bango review till after beta but from what i've played, this would have been a perfect buy to play (B2P) game...about 40 bucks..there's enough here to justify that price point...and quite frankly, 80 for the imperials and a mount (which you NEED a mount in cryodil cuz all you do is run run run..die...then run run run again) is blatant greed/money grab..at some point, you will want to make an imperial

and yes, its the worse beta i've been in thats ONE MONTH from launch..i've got 6 bugged quests and I got my guy to lvl 10 !!! holy hell, whats the bug list look like at lvl 50!!

yea, the servers last night were crashing and burning but its a stress test so it didn't bother me other than trying to create a 2nd character for comparison

You do not need the imperials for a mount, you can buy a mount regardless of your race, the imperial mount is just a special looking mount vs the other horses you can buy in-game.

Also this version we are playing this weekend is not the newest version (Where they added collision detection to npc's , revamped animations, and bug fixes, etc.

It's the previous version and the point of this test is to stress the servers an dmake sure it's ready for launch.

just running around a bit and doing a few quests.. it seems pretty solid. I had a few bugs while collecting and harvesting things outside, like graphical glitches.. and I got stuck talking to a merchant NPC but finally freed myself... I didn't get the time I wanted this weekend to really dig in but will do next stress event.

Gotta say that my participation in the past 3 betas was far less frustrating than this weekend. The amount of bugs and broken quests I encountered were numerous.
I've still got my retail copy on preorder from Amazon, but I'm beginning to have my doubts about shelling out $100 and watching TESO fall flat on it's face right out of the gate...

Yeah I am watching my GF play it this weekend and she keeps getting tons of disconnects and bugs. One quest she had to log in and out like 6 times to get the NPC to show up.

Other than that, though, she is enjoying the game, but not enough to pay a sub.

i been playhing non stop all weekend been disconnect twice. bugged quests usually can be fixed by reloading into the zone. some quests are disable in this beta and not bugged usually it will tell you in the upper right hand corner a message. the prophet quests get disabled at a point.

i cant put the game down im loving the story. ive done all 3 dungeons in this beta.

Cant wait for it to be released.

so far i love healing in this game. i normally dont have an issue running out of mana. healing as as sorc with resto staff.

I hopped on with the GF to play together for a bit. Slowest download servers ever, I swear...Doesn't help that the client is 20 GB, but so was Guild Wars 2 and that was much faster. Then again, this is a stress test/beta so I can let it slide for now.

When I first hopped on, we tried to meet it one area, got in the same party, and then...couldn't see each other. There was just a floating arrow where we were supposed to be. Logging off and back in fixed it, but still that is pretty bad. Likewise, when you try to do quests that the other person doesn't have, sometimes NPCs will just be in totally different locations, or not even there for you at all. So you get people talking to thin air a lot of the time.

Anyway, it seems about how I remember it last time I tried the beta (a month or so ago), maybe a little better. Combat still feels really not much different than any other MMO, and trying to block enemies most of the time is futile because they are so twitchy and like instantly attack that there is no real way to anticipate it unless you just hold block until they finally attack.

The party system seems totally screwy. As far as I can tell there is no way to play the same quest and sync quest progression, you just do quests side-by-side and hope they complete at roughly the same time. However, some of the quests like ones where you have to find an item in a given area, are not synced and thus you are looking for two different items in different locations.

There is a radial wheel to interact with other players, yet none of the options work. So there is no way to trade other than sending each other "mail" which requires a "postage fee" to send items. Are you fucking kidding me? In Guild Wars 2 you can do this for free and it is a joke that you can't in this game. Assuming trading works in the final version then I guess it's not THAT big of a deal, but it is still silly having to pay 10 gold to send a single item to someone.

The story is okay, but so far all of the side quests I've done have been the same bland MMO grinding stuff that is in every other MMO. Fetch quests, "follow clue" quests, etc. Not to mention that I am pretty sure one of the quests where you have to find clues had an incorrect clue, telling you to go NW of the WRONG wayshrine. There were a lot of other people asking about the same quest so I think it was just wrong.

Things I liked...the graphics are okay, decent for an MMO and probably on par with GW2 at least. The first person mode seems to work okay as well, which makes it feel a lot more like Skyrim than being stuck in third person. However, things like dodging in first-person look strange and it's hard to tell if you are even doing it. Animations for the most part are pretty good, and the dialogue is all voiced so that is cool.

Anyway, there is no way I would pay $60 + monthly sub for this, even assuming they fix all of the bugs. I would probably pick it up for $30 or so with no sub, like GW2, but other than that...not worth it. I am wondering how they are going to fix the massive bugs and server issues in a month. Getting disconnected and desync between players was a pretty big issue this weekend.

I was really bored in the beginning areas but the game definitely got better as I leveled up and the world opened up...not enough where I would pay a monthly fee but the game has some potential once it goes F2P

Yeah if this went F2P I could definitely see my GF and I playing it. Assuming they sort out the issues.

Right now though it is a complete no-go.

I enjoyed the visuals and skyrim feel alot. That said I found the game to be extremely boring and a tad too slow paced in the start. I made it to level 5 before I was unable to connect to the server again.

Hopefully it will go FTP in a year from now after everything is ironed out.

Anyway, there is no way I would pay $60 + monthly sub for this, even assuming they fix all of the bugs. I would probably pick it up for $30 or so with no sub, like GW2, but other than that...not worth it. I am wondering how they are going to fix the massive bugs and server issues in a month. Getting disconnected and desync between players was a pretty big issue this weekend.

I truly believe this would find success with the GW2 model. Current model? Not so much

Oh, it'll be going F2P pretty fast. They know it, we know it, everybody knows it. There's probably a huge (and hilarious) exponential curve downwards for the amount of players by hour in all of their weekend beta sessions. At this point they should probably stop handing out keys because it probably does them more harm than good, by showing everyone how bad their game sucks.

That being said they're still going to milk the die-hard fans for a few fiscal quarters before actually going F2P.

Also this version we are playing this weekend is not the newest version (Where they added collision detection to npc's , revamped animations, and bug fixes, etc

I wonder why they didn't upload the latest version for the beta?...even if it was just a stress test what harm would there be in letting people play the better version?...this was the first public beta (I think?) so a lot of people played for the first time...you want them to get a good first impression and judging by the comments here and on other boards it wasn't a great one

the graphics were actually pretty impressive for an MMO...the lighting in particular...same old Elder Scrolls facial animations but overall it looked nice...plus it was fully voice acted which was cool

ok, beta weekend is over so here goes:

I won't go into details because everyone already knows them...you either liked it or you didn't..I approach the game in terms of what the 'value' is to me...I stated its 40 dollars as a B2P model is my price point..I suspect, sometime in the future, I will be able to buy the imperial edition at that price point, sans the sub...I'm not against a sub, and perhaps down the road, it will be worth it...I feel no rush whatsoever to own this on launch day

ok, I found myself enjoying the game..I did not have fun..it was enjoyment...hear me out...when I beta tested wildstar, I had fun, BUT the fun died very quickly..it was like a sugar high...ESO, was simply enjoyable...running around the world, finding chests, gathering, crafting, public dungeons, anchors were all, in and of themselves, enjoyable....the fun was had in pvp, and it came sporadically. thats the nature of open world pvp...instant pvp fun is had with battlegrounds found in other games..until boredom sets in

My biggest problem with the game was a 5 second 'freeze' lag bug that hit randomly...apparently, its a known issue they are working on that one player told me about when I complained about it in /zone...I thought it was my machine but he says everyone gets it...though I watched livestreams and those guys never got it

the game simply needs a price model restructured...every developer thinks their game is the best thing ever created..the market, will decide that and not some fancy marketing scheme (i'm lookin at you swtor)

the funny thing is, as I played the game, it felt like gw2..i think the questing mechanics made it feel that way..like getting buckets of water to put out fires...gw2 had very similiar quests..i suppose the mmo genre hits the wall with new ideas..i've stated before, if you played one mmo, you've played them all

anyway, bottom line, i liked the game but its too pricey...but, I didn't care for wildstar and will not be buying that one at all

ymmv..thanks for reading

Last edited:
Back