The Elder Scrolls Online

NDA is lifted has been for a week or so. They are encouraging sharing screenshots, videoes etc.

The NDA that was lifted was for the "weekend" beta/stress testers.

There is still an NDA on the full-time beta testers and they have only been allowed to talk about a few area's while others are still under NDA (like the high level content, etc).

However that NDA is supposed to be going away this friday so the full time testers can talk about high level content.

I have only been a weekend tester for the past few weekend events, since like October I think.

I personally want this game to succeed. I want a good ES universe multi player game. I already have two preorders for my son and myself.

My thoughts though so far is that the game from 1 to 17 is very linear. I was not able to experience the ability to go anywhere and do anything like a sandbox during any of these events. While I hear people clamoring the game is broke and they should stop fixing bugs and fix the game, I think that is backwards. They are too close to launch to have as many bugs as I have seen during these weekend events. I think I have filled out close to 100 bug reports over these few months. Several were so repetitious that I started putting them into a word document so I could cut/paste them during the beta's to save me time. There have been game stopping bugs the last few beta's that essentially have caused that toon to be discarded. He could not move out of the quest zone, he could not call out, could not get out period with the bugged instance so he got deleted so a new character could be made. That is a pretty bad bug. It has happened to me on that race every single beta weekend so far, fucking save the refugees. Now my son and I play together and he has only had this happen twice, the first two beta event weekends, so it doesn't happen to everyone every time, (I must be the lucky one).

The other thing I didn't like is the invisible walls. Not being able to jump off a bridge, (even to my death), because I can't jump over the 2 foot tall rope railing? Annoying. There are many places like this, not just some of the bridges. Real invisible walls where you are running around exploring and just can't go further. Those invis walls I hope were meant to be there, like they didn't want me to go further because of the beta limit or something, but I'm not sure. I bugged it anyways and typically go back to those area's on each beta to see if it has changed.

I'm also not sure if the beta weekends were level limited. Meaning I could get up to around level 17ish, but when trying to go to the next area I would get a log message saying I didn't have the correct credentials or something to be in that area, causing the area to be completely empty of NPC. All of the structures were there in some bugged format, but no people/creatures/etc. If the beta event is limited to a certain point, they should say that emphatically so when I hit that last quest, I can just log into a new toon and try a new race/profession. However I have to wonder if this was the issue at all or if the quest line was so broken at some point, my son and I were stopped at these same points across many race/professions and on all events, that we had to stop playing and create new toons.

I'm going to be playing this weekend again, and will hopefully get about 16 hours in game and I hope some of this stuff is fixed. It would go a long way for paying the second month of service for two...

From what I've read, the beta weekends have been capped to level 17 and particular areas. This coming weekend will be the same.

From what I've read, the beta weekends have been capped to level 17 and particular areas. This coming weekend will be the same.

these are stress test weekends...they want to pound the hardware/infrastructure to see if they need to buy more/upgrade what they've got for launch day

they don't want the same fiasco that Yoshi pulled on us for FF14 AAR...which I will never forgive him for btw....you get ONE launch day....get it right or go away imho

they still have over a month to squash software bugs

this is the last hope for mmo's for me for 2014..if this one doesn't tickle my fancy, i'll be in wait mode for EQN for 2015/16/17/18...LOL

beta key if you need one

XG4M3EF4RN47FWPMWC97

Last edited:
these are stress test weekends...they want to pound the hardware/infrastructure to see if they need to buy more/upgrade what they've got for launch day

they don't want the same fiasco that Yoshi pulled on us for FF14 AAR...which I will never forgive him for btw....you get ONE launch day....get it right or go away imho

they still have over a month to squash software bugs

this is the last hope for mmo's for me for 2014..if this one doesn't tickle my fancy, i'll be in wait mode for EQN for 2015/16/17/18...LOL

beta key if you need one

XG4M3EF4RN47FWPMWC97

Thanks for the code.

I have an extra key if anyone needs one also.. downloading the client now and going to try the game for the first time this weekend... finally getting decent bw downloading... 3mb/s ~ish on Comcast. I was on some little local cable company before and was getting like 10% of that speed.. I finally gave up on the DL after seeing how long it was going to take...

anyways.. I have high hopes for this game.. I have had so much fun with all the elder scrolls games and to take it to an mmo should be a blast. :)

edit: gave my extra key to a friend - but not sure if anyone here grabbed it already.. I guess my friend will find out. lol

Ahhh.. beautiful 3 screen support... well, kinda... some heads are chopped off but other than that it's good.

Last edited:
How so? Not like GW2 right?

No not like GW2. More of trinity, but there aren't many agro controls for tanks and they also have some heals. I have tried a healer to level 17 a few times and they get quite a bit of agro. The healing can be hectic in groups though for those group dungeons at the lower levels. Just not able to cast many targeted heals before mana runs out, but I'm sure that is due to being so low level.

No not like GW2. More of trinity, but there aren't many agro controls for tanks and they also have some heals. I have tried a healer to level 17 a few times and they get quite a bit of agro. The healing can be hectic in groups though for those group dungeons at the lower levels. Just not able to cast many targeted heals before mana runs out, but I'm sure that is due to being so low level.

Can that be tuned though? It's not like the mechanics are not there, they just have to add the skills.

Yeah, I'm sure as you get higher in levels there would be more direct healing and such but I haven't made it over 17 yet on the weekend betas. When my son and I played, I typically played a healer and he played a tank. I would have two weapons, one dps oriented and the other healing oriented and could change them when I wanted to change my skills on my bar and such. I think it could be tuned, but I'm not sure if there will be enough for end game raiding, and I am not sure if there is end game raiding to be honest. But yes, trinity for group dungeons is the way the game is made.

I'd also like to hear more about the healing and tanking in this game. All the gameplay videos i've watched and the commentary i've read on here makes it look realllly simple. Or rather, like healers are meant to deal damage half the time.

Are there really only aoe heals?

Priest healing in wow was a ton of fun because of all the tools you had available to you. Shield, short heal, long heal, aoe heals, heal over time, bouncy heals (prayer of mending, so fun!), etc

I'd also like to hear more about the healing and tanking in this game. All the gameplay videos i've watched and the commentary i've read on here makes it look realllly simple. Or rather, like healers are meant to deal damage half the time.

Are there really only aoe heals?

Priest healing in wow was a ton of fun because of all the tools you had available to you. Shield, short heal, long heal, aoe heals, heal over time, bouncy heals (prayer of mending, so fun!), etc

Unfortunately, the way targeting works in this game (you cannot click on health bars to target someone) doesn't allow you to have healing abilities that are individually targeted. So the way the game gets around this is by having all heals either be:

1. Self Heal.
2. Area Heal.
3. "Smart" Heal -- this targets the player(s) with the lowest amount of health.

Also, tanks have a lot more self healing and shielding abilities, so they have more responsibility for their own survival.

Unfortunately, the way targeting works in this game (you cannot click on health bars to target someone) doesn't allow you to have healing abilities that are individually targeted. So the way the game gets around this is by having all heals either be:

1. Self Heal.
2. Area Heal.

Also, tanks have a lot more self healing and shielding abilities, so they have more responsibility for their own survival.

I am pretty sure i remember having a 'heal other' spell in skyrim, which was targeted. Perhaps that just hasn't been implemented in the game yet.

I am pretty sure i remember having a 'heal other' spell in skyrim, which was targeted. Perhaps that just hasn't been implemented in the game yet.

It's possible that there is, but I doubt it, because of just how hard it is to specifically target a player with the locked mouse. You really have no way of targeting someone behind another player without running around so that the player is no longer being covered. Couple that with all the moving and dodging during combat, it just seems like it would be too hard to use.

I could be wrong though!

It's possible that there is, but I doubt it, because of just how hard it is to specifically target a player with the locked mouse. You really have no way of targeting someone behind another player without running around so that the player is no longer being covered. Couple that with all the moving and dodging during combat, it just seems like it would be too hard to use.

I could be wrong though!

For the sake of the game, let's hope you are, because that sounds like dookie butter to be honest.

Have 2 newb questions.

How do I dissban a group and how do I track more than 1 quest at a time?

Btw, the Foundry Tactical Combat addon really makes the UI so much better.

Last edited:

1. Self Heal.
2. Area Heal.

There is a single target heal, just heals who ever you have in front of you. It is slower casting, heals more, but takes a shit ton of mana. In groups, direct healing the tank, I could get three heals off before OoM. Like I said before though, that was level 17 and lower, so I would imagine at the higher levels it will probably be fine. I don't recall the spell name, but its like the very first profession spell for healing, not the resto staff one.

How's the game overall?

This is my 3rd beta weekend and I honestly feel that it's gotten a whole lot better overtime. The bow in TESO just feels amazing, which is weird because I usually go melee sword/board in most MMO's.
I've already preordered my Imperial retail copy and plan on playing @ launch with a Breton Templar bow-build focusing on ranged attacks & heals.

Each class has the possibility to spec into various lines. You can have a night blade who heals and debuts, a templar who can heal or dps or tank. Likewise you can have a dragonknight spec into various traits and lines to boost defense, dps, or a mixture. There are various mods for healing and raiding and there are a variety of ways to spec. Sometimes spending in just one field can gimp you as there are multiple ways to synergize skills. Each class also has a self heal to help out and to manage aggro and mana. Right now it is hard to judge these specs because for the most part stress testers aren't fully able to spec their builds and don't have access to higher tier spells and specs.

Later levels a small 3 or 4 person team can effectively bounce aggro between them so much so that it isn't uncommon to confuse a mob so much that it basically sits in the middle and gets pounded to death trying to decide who to attack. Multiple mobs and anchors can be more tricky but you'll have a better understanding of the classes and mechanics that it won't be user difficult or anything super frustrating. The higher levels are actually pretty fun.

I have read in some discussion that they were updating the animation and hitbox. But my client did not download any updates. Has anyone noticed any changes in this regard because it seems the same to me?

Played for an hour or so. Nice looking game. Don't like the fact that they removed the minimap. Seems like there isn't a whole lot of depth to the game, compared to FFXIV or GW2. But I'm still early into it. Having fun so far though.

I have a really noob question...

When you're wandering around and you see empty treasure stuff, I'm assuming that's because some other dude looted it? Well are there open things to loot for all that respawn and then there's quest related stuff? How does that aspect work...

Next noob question, when you start out, after you exit the ship, is it possible to join up with friends at that point or are there separate servers for that? I really have ZERO idea how this game works...

Last edited:

When you're wandering around and you see empty treasure stuff, I'm assuming that's because some other dude looted it? Well are there open things to loot for all that respawn and then there's quest related stuff? How does that aspect work...

Next noob question, when you start out, after you exit the ship, is it possible to join up with friends at that point or are there separate servers for that? I really have ZERO idea how this game works...

This beta test isn't the "latest' version that was recently talked about in regards to adding collision detection and skipping the starting islands.

In the full game now you will be plopped into the main city of your faction once you get out of the tutorial area (the wailing prison) and you can go off and meet up with your friends in that faction.

The game uses what they call a "megaserver" and it has an NA server and European server, that is it. You can choose either server (it's not region locked or goes by your IP) but the character you make will be bound to that server.

Think of it like instances, the server is a lot of servers, but there's only one "world." It makes copies of the zones as people join and keeps them filled up (It will scale down or up depending on the number of players, so places aren't empty and aren't overcrowded). It will allow you to switch to your friends (but it also says that it will try to match you with friends/guild mates if you are both in the same area, so it will put you in the same instance of that zone.

Generally there is stuff in those chests and boxes and vases, just not in this beta. They have been populated in previous betas but not this one. And yes on the friend thing. Make them a friend, invite them to group. One thing I have bug reported several times though is that even while grouped, when you zone from instance to instance, you either have to let one of you zone at a time until that person is completely in the next instance or you typically won't get into the same instance. Its a pain in the ass getting back into the same instances as well, and the travel to friend which is supposed to take you to their instance, hasn't worked as advertised in the last few betas.

Have 2 newb questions.

How do I dissban a group and how do I track more than 1 quest at a time?

Btw, the Foundry Tactical Combat addon really makes the UI so much better.

Multi-quest tracking requires an addon :(.

Disbanding a group is done by pressing "P" for the party window, then rightclicking your name and either leaving or disbanding the group.

been playing the beta for a couple of hours...can't say I love it or hate it but I can say that I definitely won't be paying a monthly fee to play this...it's a fun game for what it is...if it ever goes FTP then I could see myself spending time on this...everyone says to play past Level 15 as it gets better so I'll do that

been playing the beta for a couple of hours...can't say I love it or hate it but I can say that I definitely won't be paying a monthly fee to play this...it's a fun game for what it is...if it ever goes FTP then I could see myself spending time on this...everyone says to play past Level 15 as it gets better so I'll do that

The pvp at lvl 10 is the only redeeming factor for this game. Its a lot like DAOC and I love it.

Back