RX Vega Owners Thread

Archaea, you're having a lot of problems with these cards...

I actually returned my Vega 64 because FPS is just all over the place and a overall terrible gaming experience.

Yes.

But how can anyone expect otherwise when you see utter bullcrap like this in the driver fix log?

SERIOUSLY? Wolfenstein II is the game they bundled with Vega and it hangs on launch with their current production 17.10.2 driver?

Wolfenstein II, the game that’s supposed to showcase how great Vega is? The game AMD has had months working with to make sure it showcases their product well?

You can come to your own conclusion on the matter. I say pathetic.

————

DOWNLOAD: AMD Radeon Software Crimson ReLive 17.10.3

Fixed Issues
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus may experience a crash or application hang on game launch with Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
—————

Last edited:
Yes.

But how can anyone expect otherwise when you see utter bullcrap like this in the driver fix log?

SERIOUSLY? Wolfenstein II is the game they bundled with Vega and it hangs on launch with their current production 17.10.2 driver?

Wolfenstein II, the game that’s supposed to showcase how great Vega is? The game AMD has had months working with to make sure it showcases their product well?

You can come to your own conclusion on the matter. I say pathetic.

————

DOWNLOAD: AMD Radeon Software Crimson ReLive 17.10.3

Fixed Issues
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus may experience a crash or application hang on game launch with Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
—————
This was probably introduced with our favorite Windows Creator Update II launch. Not everything is AMD/RTG caused. :rolleyes:

Received email from AMD Rewards for Steam code for Wolf. Won't get a chance until Sunday to play around with it.

This was probably introduced with our favorite Windows Creator Update II launch. Not everything is AMD/RTG caused. :rolleyes:
Perhaps

But then the problem only pertains to Vega according to the fix log. None of the other AMD products are apparently affected

I like AMD. I’ve got a pair of RX580 mining and they are my most stable cards. They have never crashed yet. The Fury X cards I had were close to perfect in all respects. Ryzen and Threadripper are excellent products.

My beef is with the current state of the Vega line.

I’ll shut up now and move along.

Perhaps

But then the problem only pertains to Vega according to the fix log. None of the other AMD products are apparently affected

I like AMD. I’ve got a pair of RX580 mining and they are my most stable cards. They have never crashed yet. The Fury X cards I had were close to perfect in all respects. Ryzen and Threadripper are excellent products.

My beef is with the current state of the Vega line.

I’ll shut up now and move along.
Who knows, since Wolf 2 has rapid pack math, it was developed with Vega Hardware I would say. If it was crashing then or with beta testers I would think that would have been ironed out. Creator's Update has caused havoc with a lot of software and drivers :LOL:.

I am beginning to think pick your poison with each product having strengths and weaknesses.

I enabled the new anti-ransomware feature in the Creator's Update and I couldn't change options in my games. Some wouldn't even load. So I just turned off the feature and guess what? My stuff is "working" again, but now my Malwarebytes is disabled and there seems to be nothing I can do to enable. I don't know if FreeSync is broken by the update for your monitors also Archaea ; there is a good chance that it might be going by MS's track record on buggy Windows updates. ;)

I enabled the new anti-ransomware feature in the Creator's Update and I couldn't change options in my games. Some wouldn't even load. So I just turned off the feature and guess what? My stuff is "working" again, but now my Malwarebytes is disabled and there seems to be nothing I can do to enable. I don't know if FreeSync is broken by the update for your monitors also Archaea ; there is a good chance that it might be going by MS's track record on buggy Windows updates. ;)

I think you are a braver man then you would care to admit , just enabling MS features on good faith :) . You are working from c: right for games?

I still think it might be a MS update that broke freesync. I hadn't changed drivers but MS had updated and it stopped after that. No biggie for now, just gonna make sure everything is updated and if still no go then report to AMD and prob MS. I did a new Win10 install this week to 1709 build so getting everything back to how I want it.

I'm not a Vega owner so I apologize for the intrusion but the latest Insider Build completely borked my system (volume system file mismatch). I'm inclined to agree that not all of the Vega issues are related to RTG drivers and/or hardware. With Windows 10, Microsoft has made a habit of breaking things on updates.

Archea, I tried the Wolfenstein: The Old Blood game as well and found that the video card is not ramping up to full speed. (The power draw at the wall is half of what it should be.) I never did find a fix for that but, running Doom in OpenGL did work correctly, just slower than Vulkan was all. I know you have moved on but, did you or anyone else ever find a solution to that?

Archea, I tried the Wolfenstein: The Old Blood game as well and found that the video card is not ramping up to full speed. (The power draw at the wall is half of what it should be.) I never did find a fix for that but, running Doom in OpenGL did work correctly, just slower than Vulkan was all. I know you have moved on but, did you or anyone else ever find a solution to that?
I previously used this tool to keep the Fury X cards ramped up on the occasional game that left the Fury X cards at desktop/idle speed.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/clockblocker-download.html

With Vega, this on and off again problem with old blood was different and I didn’t consider that ClockBlocker fix.

Shouldn’t have to use 3rd party tools to keep clockspeed ramped and AMD eventually fixed it on the Fury. But perhaps the issue is back.

I previously used this tool to keep the Fury X cards ramped up on the occasional game that left the Fury X cards at desktop/idle speed.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/clockblocker-download.html

With Vega, this on and off again problem with old blood was different and I didn’t consider that ClockBlocker fix.

Shouldn’t have to use 3rd party tools to keep clockspeed ramped and AMD eventually fixed it on the Fury. But perhaps the issue is back.
It could be more to do with how Vega clocks now. Before you set the clock and that is what it ran at, occasionally downclocking if demand was lower but generally stayed at set clock. Vega does not even remotely act like that.

Clockspeed issue must be back, because I've had the issue with some games. Using overdriventool to lock clocks.

i could really use some help because i am at my wits end with this card. its brand new and went into a brand new system installed 17.10.3 drivers after hours of troubleshooting due to repeated failures. i still get tearing when scrolling and now games are refusing to load, they just go straight to a background process. the entire pc will restart randomly on occasion. i have used ddu repeatedly but driver installs always get a partial failure. I could really use some advice because i desperately wanted to get on the amd train but ive had nothing but troubleshooting and crashes all day.

Have you tried slightly older drivers (like 1 or 2 releases back)? I'm on 17.9.3 and it appears to be working.

i could really use some help because i am at my wits end with this card. its brand new and went into a brand new system installed 17.10.3 drivers after hours of troubleshooting due to repeated failures. i still get tearing when scrolling and now games are refusing to load, they just go straight to a background process. the entire pc will restart randomly on occasion. i have used ddu repeatedly but driver installs always get a partial failure. I could really use some advice because i desperately wanted to get on the amd train but ive had nothing but troubleshooting and crashes all day.

What games?

Try this instead of DDU
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

so i have some good news and some bad news, going for 17.9.3 drivers have cleared most of my issues, but im still getting spontaneous restarts, particularly when playing games. On further inspection it cant last more that 10 mins in a game before it shuts itself off. temps seem to be fine and it isn't a power supply issue.

Last edited:
How do you know it's not the power supply? That would be my first guess.

Do you have another video card to test in that system? If not, you may want to consider getting a cheapo card just to test.

Does your CPU/MB have integrated graphics? If so, pull out the AMD card and run some tests with integrated graphics. Maybe some CPU tests like Cinebench, or Furmark and see what happens. Running Unigine Heaven or something on loop would probably work too.

How do you know it's not the power supply? That would be my first guess.

Do you have another video card to test in that system? If not, you may want to consider getting a cheapo card just to test.

Does your CPU/MB have integrated graphics? If so, pull out the AMD card and run some tests with integrated graphics. Maybe some CPU tests like Cinebench, or Furmark and see what happens. Running Unigine Heaven or something on loop would probably work too.
i actually just got my hands on wattman and brought it down to power saver, haven't had a single problem since, i don't really want to only use a percentage of what vega is capable of though so if anyone has a custom profile for wattman for an air cooled vega, that would be great!

i actually just got my hands on wattman and brought it down to power saver, haven't had a single problem since, i don't really want to only use a percentage of what vega is capable of though so if anyone has a custom profile for wattman for an air cooled vega, that would be great!
Sounds like you need a new power supply

Sounds like you need a new power supply

my guess as well, it's if having issues that aren't present on power saving it point straight to PSU.

What PSU model do you have?. are you using a single daisy chained cable to the GPU or two different cables?. this as itself present serious issues with some heavy power hungry GPUS.

You need to play with your settings. And power saver is 95% of default profile (default profile is trash though).

My advice? Set to 1.0v 1550Mhz ~1000MHz HBM and +30-+50%.

my guess as well, it's if having issues that aren't present on power saving it point straight to PSU.

What PSU model do you have?. are you using a single daisy chained cable to the GPU or two different cables?. this as itself present serious issues with some heavy power hungry GPUS.

I've tried both single and dual cable, hasn't made a difference for me :S

You need to play with your settings. And power saver is 95% of default profile (default profile is trash though).

My advice? Set to 1.0v 1550Mhz ~1000MHz HBM and +30-+50%.

I've tried both single and dual cable, hasn't made a difference for me :S

clockspeed issues are another kind of behavior, I was referring to the shutdowns/crash he is having. Clockspeed issues has been happening since Tonga with the R9 380 onwards, due the way the dynamic engine manage clocks, clockblocker it's always the solution to those issues..

the power supply is a brand new silverstone sfx 650-g using two cables. I'm pretty sure that psu is behaving itself fine

the power supply is a brand new silverstone sfx 650-g using two cables. I'm pretty sure that psu is behaving itself fine

Unless I missed it, you have not told us whether you have a Vega 56 or 64. Also, what processor are you using? What motherboard and are there any overclocks? Have you tried another, lower power usage card and if it is stable then, have you updated you bios on the mainboard? By the way, a new power supply can be bad out of the box and that one does seem to be on the lower end, power wise.

Unless I missed it, you have not told us whether you have a Vega 56 or 64. Also, what processor are you using? What motherboard and are there any overclocks? Have you tried another, lower power usage card and if it is stable then, have you updated you bios on the mainboard? By the way, a new power supply can be bad out of the box and that one does seem to be on the lower end, power wise.
it is a vega 64, 650w should be enough, processor is a 7700k on a gigabyte z270-n gaming 5 motherboard updated to bios version F5, ram came off an earlier build of mine which ran fine and continues to.

it is a vega 64, 650w should be enough, processor is a 7700k on a gigabyte z270-n gaming 5 motherboard updated to bios version F5, ram came off an earlier build of mine which ran fine and continues to.
On my system, which power-wise would be close to yours, my 64 pulls into 550W easily (at the wall). So don't be too sure 650 is enough.

welp, freesync isn't working again for me in bf1 and Wolfenstein. Works in windmill demo. Currently on 17.10.3

IDKSOLOLVEGA

edit: Just kidding, somehow refresh rate was reset to 60 in windows display settings. Set back to 75 and bingo.

LOL! I had a moment like that when I first tried Crossfire on this system and did like 2 hours on benchmarking with "Chill" enabled and getting horrible performance.

Turned out it was a button I'm pretty sure I never clicked somehow getting enabled. But once I shut it off, performance was great.

Well boys finally pulled the trigger on that XFX Vega 56 on Amazon for $399. Plus with my prime card I get 5% off all Amazon purchases.

Time to see if this kills my Silverstone 450W SFX PSU. It's running a 6+8 pin GTX 780 superclocked right now so I'm hopeful.

Also hoping the Vega blower cooler is quieter than the old 780 blower

Smitty2k1 That's great. However, I think you might be cutting it *really* close with a 450W PSU. Worth giving it a shot, but you will be stressing things to the max.

Back