RX Vega Owners Thread

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by cybereality, Aug 15, 2017.

1. NWRMidnight

NWRMidnight n00bie

Except the very reason the discussion came up is it isn't, when a person with a 650 watt power supply (high quality, brand new) has to run his card in power saving mode to avoid system shut down and other crashes/issues, making it clear it is a power issue,, and tries to blame the card and AMD, all while ignoring their minimum recommended requirements.

But.. each to there own. If a person wants to cripple his investment by running it in power saving mode and not being allowed to use it at it's full potential because the person doesn't want to admit it is a power issue, or others trying to argue it couldn't possibly be the power supply, so be it. Not my problem.

I have never had an issue do to power, but then again, I never try to get by with what should be enough, and always get above the minimum requirements per the manufactor. Becuase what "should be enough" does not take in account for all the variables that can effect the draw on a power supply, or the output of the power supply. All it takes for a "should be enoigh" power supply to be a " not enough" power supply is live in an area with a bad power grid that is not effectively supplying clean power.

pendragon1 likes this.
  2. NuclearLemons

NuclearLemons n00bie

im not having any temp issues, perhaps i just lost the silicon lottery. my next option i suppose is to undervolt slightly, could anyone explain how that works and what that will do for me?

3. JustReason

JustReason razor1 is my Lover

I undervolted my WC/LC Vega64 20-37mv and that lowers temps a touch and helps maintain boost clocks. The 20-37 part is the difference between Wattman and Afterburner. Afterburner seems to be a bit more stable using lower clocks hence the lower 37mv part.

4. sabrewolf732

sabrewolf732 2[H]4U

I use overdriventool 0.2.1. I've disabled all power states except for 7. I'm running 1550Mhz with 1000mv as my p7 for core and memory is at 1040 with 975.

5. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

maybe an intel/nv setup...

maybe not temps but psu power limits...

6. sabrewolf732

sabrewolf732 2[H]4U

going to add this in, but my evga 600 did great with my 4Ghz ryzen 5 and overclocked vega 64.

7. JustReason

JustReason razor1 is my Lover

Well some PSUs actually bench (loosely termed) higher. My previous 800W tested up to 940W with reasonable efficiency. So it is possible for a PSU to run higher than listed as well as not so well even within rated spec.

8. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

Wattmann is a true piece of junk. Absolutely can not believe AMD even has it. Shit never holds clocks. Always goes to balanced mode after computer restarts. Might as well stop wasting time on wattman and let third party do the job. AMD has wasted a lot of time on features that are not needed and they can actually focus on other improvements. Wattman is one of those features with wasted time and effort. Let afterburner and trixx do their thing and just eliminate wattman.

9. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

Why don't you stop?

Please, please tell us that there's no difference between a solid Seasonic and a trashy Rosewill.

10. IdiotInCharge

I've run on overclocked Intel quad and up to two GPUs on my 650w Seasonic, which is currently happily plugging away at the system in my sig (4.5GHz 6700k, OC'd 1080Ti). I don't even know what the wattage requirements are and I don't care; this 1080Ti only has an 8-pin and a 6-pin for power.

That mean that the GPU can only pull- according to spec, remember when AMD got in trouble here?- 75w from PCIE + 75w from the 6-pin + 150w from the 8-pin. That's all of 300w! Scary!

11. Imhotep

Imhotep Limp Gawd

You run a little girl's specs. Why don't you keep it quiet already. Real man run 1KW and Vegas. :D

12. IdiotInCharge

Lol- well, I did once run a pair of HD6950's on this PSU. Probably the highest draw it's seen in its 7 year life- honestly haven't really seen the need to go higher. Maybe when 4k120 panels come out, and I need a second 1080Ti?

:D

13. NWRMidnight

NWRMidnight n00bie

Why are you talking about a trashy Rosewill when the very person that started this debate is using a brand new silverstone powersupply?

You seem to think that just because you are able to do to, everyone should be able to, completely ignoring the fact that each computer system, each person has different variables involved. Oh wait..... You you are running a 1080ti. Do you even have any Real experience with running a Vega 64 in your system, or are you just here to troll with little real long term life experience on the subject other than "I can so everyone can" mantality?

14. NuclearLemons

NuclearLemons n00bie

look, this seems to be getting a little heated. everything i looked at (beside amds page - that was a mistake evidently) suggested that 650w would have been fine to run vega. if that isnt the case then it isnt the case and ill have to look at getting an sfx-l. Thank you guys for at least providing some insight

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  15. NWRMidnight

NWRMidnight n00bie

Sorry. I just know that white paper numbers verses reality are two completely different things. White paper is under perfect conditions. Reality we don't live in perfect condition. Some people are lucky that get by with white paper requirements. Some don't.

Power supply requirements are not listed higher than what the white paper shows because of quality of power supply. They are listed high to cover real world variables that effect power draw and/or power output. Clean power/dirty power, heat, various hardware configurations etc.

It is not AMD's or any other manufactures responsibility or fault if some one chooses to go low quality or high qualility, and they do not set requirements based on that.

You may very well live in an area, or it could be your fuseboxes that is delivering dirty power which will make even the best power supplies work harder to deliver the rated wattage. If you are pushing it to the limit and this happens, it can't work any harder to keep up because it is already at it's maximum capacity.

I have dirty power where I live, and why I have a business class ups, to keep the power stable and clean.

Anyhow, yes there are people who like to go with the bare minimums and get by.. as in your case, it doesn't work.

Heck, you could have a power cable that is flawed causing more resistance than it is supposed to pulling more power.. God only knows. Again, every single person has different variables that can effect the results.

Anyhow I wish you luck.

NuclearLemons and pendragon1 like this.
  16. Smitty2k1

Smitty2k1 Gawd

Not to drag down this thread, but I think you're mixing it up - I'm the one running in power saving mode on my Vega and I've got a 450w SFX PSU. I think the guy with the 650w has a Vega 64

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  17. NuclearLemons

NuclearLemons n00bie

yeah 650w psu with vega 64 AC

18. NWRMidnight

NWRMidnight n00bie

You are correct, I did get you and NuclearLeamons confused. But it still does not change the fact that if you are running a below recommended powers supply, and having issues, that the power supply is the most likely the cause, even if others are succeeding. (I am pretty sure I have explained in enough detail the reasons why already).

Thanks for letting me know I got the two of you mixed up. :D

19. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

Well I just want to chime in to say that I appreciate each and every one of you'll. I hope you'll get along and find the time to write a Vega 56 / 64 OC guide that we can sticky at the top of the AMD subsection. :)

{NG}Fidel and NuclearLemons like this.
  20. sabrewolf732

sabrewolf732 2[H]4U

VEGA 56/64 OC GUIDE

1. Don't use wattman.

21. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

2. use the recommended psu wattage
    3. don't bitch and complain if you don't.

{NG}Fidel and NWRMidnight like this.
  22. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardness Supreme

Anyone here flash the Vega 56 with a 64 bios? I like the idea of an overclocked Vega 56 without having to play with Wattman.

23. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardness Supreme

I did it on two cards

it worked on one, and didn't on the other.

24. ManofGod

What happened with the one that did not work? Did it simply fail to flash or did it fail during the flash and you had to do a recovery of some sort? Thanks.

25. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardness Supreme

The good 56 Vega card flashed to 64 and back without issues on either bios.
    The Vega card that was bad flashed to 64 and got worse, so I flashed it back -- but it was acting up long before I flashed it. (screen corruption, crashes, system hangs, etc).

I'm still in the process of RMA'ing the bad card. Before I ever flashed it I occasionally got red screens of death, screen corruption, and system hangs, and crossfire profiles (with the two 56 cards) giving me like 10FPS on games that were supposed to support crossfire. With the flash the card was completely unusable for anything 3d.

Generally speaking - my understanding is you can flash it to 64 bios without concern of actually hurting the card - you should be able to flash back without issue assuming your card isn't bad to begin with. I don't know that I would flash it to 64 and then try to overclock as well, because the 64 version of the bios is already a overclock and overvolt of sorts, and I don't know if AMD did binning on the Vega chips and you probably shouldn't push your luck -- until more information is widely available on if it's safe or not. I did not overvolt/overclock my cards in the 64 bios version for that reason.

You can get the various BIOS files from Tech Power Up.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...om/vgabios/?manufacturer=AMD&model=RX+Vega+64

Then you flash with ATI Flash utility
    https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/

You MAY need to use the ATI pixel patcher from there to ensure the driver is recognized:
    https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

Of course run all of these as Administrator.

P.S.
    DO NOT USE GPU-Z TO SAVE OR FLASH YOUR VEGA BIOS

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 9:25 AM
    Maddness likes this.
  26. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

I got my vega 56 for 469.99 and had some amazon credits and I had the same issue. The card just wasn't stable. I was kicking it with drivers but seriously unstable and crashes running benches. Saw the vega 64 for 499.99 and seeing that it would only cost me 30 more at the end I ordered that. And it has been rock stable. actually i an down volt it a little and still maintain close to 1600 boost with power limit increase. For the price i love it. I don't game much so power isn't an issue for me. I got it because of freesync 4k monitor I have and I can say that I haven't had any free sync issues either. Power wasn't a concern for me for few hours of gaming a week. But i wanted the best experience for the price and it fit the budget.

cybereality likes this.
  27. ManofGod

Well, the flash worked, thanks. Now I just have to get the time to mess around and see how everything goes, this is one of the reasons I like AMD reference cards.

28. Imhotep

Imhotep Limp Gawd

29. ManofGod

Well, it appears that now that I have flashed my Vega 56 with the 64 bios, I can run the HBM at 1GHz without issue. Also, I do not really need to run the fan at 4000 rpm's because it appears the 3000 rpm's nets me the same score with 3D Mark Firestrike and 3D Mark 11. I lose maybe 1fps average in the benchmark for Gears of War 4 and the fan noise is not bad at all, just a whoosh type hush sound. (Power limit set to 50+ and the power draw is the same as my Vega 56 overclocked settings.)

30. IdiotInCharge

That's pretty good news for the IHV's putting out custom cards!