RX Vega Owners Thread

Freesync is straight up badly broken --- still.

Even on a single monitor now.

Anyone else have this issue currently? What a foul joke Vega has been for me. What I can’t seem to figure out is why not everyone shares the problems I’m experiencing? I’ve tried three different Vega cards — so that means it must be unique to my hardware or monitor?

HP Omen 32
Sapphire AMD Vega 64 water cooled (no other cards installed)
Windows 10 Creator update
AMD 17.10.1 driver installed
Intel 6850k on a Gigabyte Ultra Gaming X99 system with 16GB of DDR4 2400 RAM.

(fresh install of windows - NEVER had an NVidia cards or other drivers installed on this OS install)

Attached quick clip from cell phone showing how bad tearing is right now.

Attachments

• Broken Freesync.zip
    909.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Anyone else have this issue currently? What a foul joke Vega has been for me.

HP Omen 32
Intel 6850k on a X99 system with 16GB of DDR4 2400 RAM.

(fresh install of windows - NEVER had an NVidia cards or other drivers installed on this OS install)

freesync does not appear to work for me using the windmill demo. Also have an HP omen 32.

I'm going to plug in my 1080TI card right now, and see if it's smoother without freesync. I hate to do that, because I feel that installing NVidia drivers sometimes goofs up an AMD card -- and I just fresh loaded windows via a format and re-install so there wouldn't be a trace of Nvidia drivers on the system in the last couple days -- but I have an offer for $700 on my vega liquid cooled card -- and with screen tear like that - freesync isn't doing me any good anyway --- never mind the buggy game drivers, crashes, and huge regular variances in frame rates on the games I'm playing - chiefly Wolfenstein Old Blood and PlayerUnkown Battlegrounds right now.

Unfortunately, I also think the HP Omen 32 monitors seem to have extra input lag with Nvidia or something I can't quit put my finger on and I lack the way to test it - but when freesync works with the HP Omen 32 monitor it just feels more responsive than with the Nvidia 1080TI card.

Anyone else have this issue currently? What a foul joke Vega has been for me. What I can’t seem to figure out is why not everyone shares the problems I’m experiencing? I’ve tried three different Vega cards — so that means it must be unique to my hardware or monitor?

HP Omen 32
Intel 6850k on a Gigabyte Ultra Gaming X99 system with 16GB of DDR4 2400 RAM.

I just tried the Windmill demo and FreeSync is working fine for me on it. Have an LG 38UC99. I've been pretty happy with my Vega card -- zero issues with it.

I swapped out to my 1080TI.

Without Freesync working on the Vega (it doesn't work most of the time on my Omens with the various Vega release drivers) the 1080TI offers a much superior experience.

People will call me crazy, but I do think the AMD card has a bit better color and black level quality - even after setting the Nvidia to 10bit.

But the variances in frame rates are completely gone on the 1080TI, meaning I'm not dipping to 8FPS in PUBG, or 30FPS in Wolfenstein Old Blood. it's pretty much just pegged at 60FPS with the 1080TI. The experience is smoother. Using adaptive sync in Wolfenstein Old Blood eliminates the frame tearing that happens without vsync and seems to avoid most of the input lag issue that occurs with v-sync.

I played 5 rounds of pubg without a single crash while my vega will crash every other round or if i'm lucky every third round.

That ebay offer to buy my used Vega 64 watercooled for $700 expires in 3 hours. I think I'm going to close the chapter on my AMD Vega use for gaming and accept that offer. I have three more hours to consider otherwise. the other option I suppose is to start to mine with the watercooled vega - and try it again in six months or something when the drivers have matured more and maybe they've got freesync working on the Omen 32" steadily.

freesync does not appear to work for me using the windmill demo. Also have an HP omen 32.
I thought so too until I disabled the Vertical Sync option in the Demo - then it worked. I am on a LG monitor.

I thought so too until I disabled the Vertical Sync option in the Demo - then it worked. I am on a LG monitor.
The two options in the demo at the top left? That i toggled back and forth many times. Doesn’t work either way for me on the omens.

Are you guys on the latest 1709 Windows 10 FCU build? I would roll-back to the previous version and see if that fixes your issues. I had the same thing happening on my laptop but with a 970m instead where the tearing was crazy for some reason. I had to enable vsync for it to go away or keep changing my refresh rate until it gets better. Rolling back fixed this.

speak to me man lol, havn't done it yet, have been waiting for the horror threads of windows update!

Are you guys on the latest 1709 Windows 10 FCU build? I would roll-back to the previous version and see if that fixes your issues. I had the same thing happening on my laptop but with a 970m instead where the tearing was crazy for some reason. I had to enable vsync for it to go away or keep changing my refresh rate until it gets better. Rolling back fixed this.

Freesync is broken with both Windows 1709 and previous versions. I was hoping 1709 would fix my problem and upgraded this weekend to test it.

Occasionally with one or two of the driver release so far, Fresync would work on a single Omen monitor, but I never got Vega Freesync to work on all three Omen monitors - not once in two months. I never had this problem with the Fury X.
Freesync was AMD's only big Ace in the Hole. Without it working reliably - I threw my 1080TI back in there.

I actually boxed up my Vega Liquid Cooled 64 tonight. I'm done with it. Sold it on eBay. So I won't be able to troubleshoot further. (2 Vegas sold, one more to go)

Good luck fellows. I hope AMD can turn it around for you.

rn4j2yZ.png

Yeah, I feel you. I actually spent most of today trying to get Mad Max to work in Nvidia Surround. Finally got it working, but I had to install an Nvidia driver from one and a half years ago. Did get it working, and it is glorious at 7680x1440 144Hz G-Sync. Man, I forgot how cool this was.

That said, I struggled with some silly stuff with the Start menu (something about Surround and SLI seemed to be wonky) but I eventually got it working by using both DisplayFusion AND StartIsBack++. Not sure why something so basic doesn't work out of box, but glad that there are 3rd parties that can pick up the slack.

Also, just to show the other side, because Nvidia has their share of driver issues too. It's not just AMD. Especially when you are doing anything crazy, like triple screen / adaptive sync / high refresh / multi-GPU / or all of the above at once . I guess if you only use a single 60Hz 1080p display you probably would never know.

Thankfully for me, I have 4 current gaming rigs (one is for streaming, but the other 3 are mighty beefy) so if I find a game doesn't work well, I just try it on another rig.

That's why I gave up on Eyefinity and Surround years ago as it was just a headache to work. I missed it at first, but after using an ultrawide monitor presently I don't even think about it anymore. Ultrawide still has some games that don't support it, but it's nowhere near the issues of surround or Eyefinity.

It's strange Vega's Freesync didn't always work with the HP omen let alone 3 of them, however just looking at the brand name HP alone, anything is possible. I found that you are not the only one having issues though. I came across a thread of owners having issues with DP 1.2 and 4k@60 sporadically working. The max refresh rate they can get is 30hz even though older cards work fine with DP 1.2. I just wish they listed the monitor brand that was having the issues though.
Regardless don't blame you to go back to your 1080Ti.

Since owning Vega64 on release day, I still have no regrets with the card. I've finally dialed in the best settings and now enjoy gaming on it. Is it 100% perfect? No, it does have it's quirks but not enough for me to want to jump ship and go back to green for another round.

Last edited:
I heard somewhere that the limited edition (silver) vega 64 have slightly quieter fans than the black vega 64. Is this true?

I heard somewhere that the limited edition (silver) vega 64 have slightly quieter fans than the black vega 64. Is this true?

Never heard of that rumor, could be just a defective fan. Like Archaea, doubt there is any change in fan between limited edition and regular edition.

Just picked up a Vega 64 limited edition for 569.99 on newegg......
Comrades, I have ascended.
Any tips to get the most out of it would be really appreciated (air cooling)
Make sure to set a custom fan profile, or the card will hit temp limit immediately and throttle down.

I have mine set to 30% at 30C and 100% at 80C, with a curve in-between. This will get the maximum performance out of the stock settings if you can't (or don't want to) overclock.

You can do this in WattMan, but it's really unreliable and will reset settings all the time. The latest beta of MSI Afterburner seems to work better.

Make sure to set a custom fan profile, or the card will hit temp limit immediately and throttle down.

I have mine set to 30% at 30C and 100% at 80C, with a curve in-between. This will get the maximum performance out of the stock settings if you can't (or don't want to) overclock.

You can do this in WattMan, but it's really unreliable and will reset settings all the time. The latest beta of MSI Afterburner seems to work better.
thanks for the heads up. I've heard it sounds like a jet taking off at 100%. Anyway to reduce the noise?

thanks for the heads up. I've heard it sounds like a jet taking off at 100%. Anyway to reduce the noise?
The fans can get loud, but it's not too bad. In comparison, the Titan X Pascal is much louder. And with headphones on, you won't notice.

Try it with the settings I suggested. If it's too much noise, you can reduce max fan speed to 80 or 90% and see if that helps.

Tried over clocking v64, was stable on heaven Unigine dx11, but failed right away when I benched tomb raider dx12.

Is there any tool like Unigine that can continuously run on a loop as we tweak WattMan?

Managed to fix my downclocking issue during bf1...

Using overdriventool, a lot of people recommend it on overclockers.com vega thread. Apparently a bunch of people have this issue. As soon as the gpu load drops at all memory speed tanks to a lower power state and causes awful short term fps crashes. With overdriven I just disabled every other power state and set p7 to 1580 MHz and memory to 1040 Mhz. Cocks stay rock solid. Free sync doesn't seem to work for me, wonder if its because I have a second monitor hooked up? Will try disconnecting.

Using overdriventool, a lot of people recommend it on overclockers.com vega thread. Apparently a bunch of people have this issue. As soon as the gpu load drops at all memory speed tanks to a lower power state and causes awful short term fps crashes. With overdriven I just disabled every other power state and set p7 to 1580 MHz and memory to 1040 Mhz. Cocks stay rock solid. Free sync doesn't seem to work for me, wonder if its because I have a second monitor hooked up? Will try disconnecting.
Shouldn’t be broken like this

Class action lawsuits are a dirty word because they only benefit the lawyers — but in this case I’d not think it inappropriate to spin one up against AMD Vega.

What other products (besides games) can release a product for public consumption with false promises and broken functionality out of the box and people just expect that it’ll get fixed over time? (And for that matter why is it okay for games?)

What if your hard drive crashed and reformatted itself for the first six months you had it, or your garage door opened on its own the first three months, or your refrigerator turned off irregularly for 4 months before new firmware was released to fix it.

Sort of ridiculous.

Shouldn’t be broken like this

Class action lawsuits are a dirty word because they only benefit the lawyers — but in this case I’d not think it inappropriate to spin one up against AMD Vega.

What other products (besides games) can release a product for public consumption with false promises and broken functionality out of the box and people just expect that it’ll get fixed over time? (And for that matter why is it okay for games?)

What if your hard drive crashed and reformatted itself for the first six months you had it, or your garage door opened on its own the first three months, or your refrigerator turned off irregularly for 4 months before new firmware was released to fix it.

Sort of ridiculous.
I am not sold that it isn't a MS update break. I hadn't changed drivers and like you my freesync stopped working. Got a new install on 10 and gonna update all drivers this weekend. Sucks it doesn't work but if it still persists I will put in a ticket. Lived without it for years, I can be patient.

So my omen 32" works in freesync if it's my sole monitor. If I hook up my 2nd 22" it borks it. This is on 17.10.2.

I have nothing to add other than this is one of the funnier typos I have seen in a while.

I have no issue with the HP Omens picture quality. They are quite good. Your’s must have been defective.

That sentiment makes no sense anyway because I had no issue with them with the Fury X nor with my 1080ti now. My problem has never been a blurry vasoline looking picture.

I have no issue with the HP Omens picture quality. They are quite good. Your’s must have been defective.

That sentiment makes no sense anyway because I had no issue with them with the Fury X nor with my 1080ti now. My problem has never been a blurry vasoline looking picture.

some people are really really sensitive to response time.. and the Omen 5ms GTG it's A LOT for people used to 1ms - 2ms GTG response time, personally I can really notice the ghosting on images and movement on a 5ms panel... for games that's a bummer for guys who like to enjoy smooth fast movement.

Archaea, you're having a lot of problems with these cards but IMO your biggest problem is those garbage HP Omens. I dunno if you've used anything better but the Omen is so blurry in terms of motion clarity that I returned it after 30 seconds of moving the camera in BF1.

Freesync/tearing is irrelevant if the screen looks like it's covered in Vaseline when you move.

I actually returned my Vega 64 because FPS is just all over the place and a overall terrible gaming experience.
My LG 4K is barely acceptable to me in this department, have to use the gaming mode for it to be acceptable. Still folks use motion blur in games which makes it even worst (my opinion) then monitor ghosting. I wonder if for the faster sync rate monitors, a.k.a 144hz it is really the no ghosting giving the better motion than the increase in hz that folks notice. Anyways my Del 3014 3440 x 1440 lack of ghosting makes it very smooth, especially at 60 fps.

It's a VA panel. It has a little transition blur in white to black. All VA's have it, but isn't what I'd call motion blur.

I'd take this any day of the week and twice on sundays over TN panel's poor color reproduction.

IPS is fine too - but the IPS glow is probably more annoying to me than the slight blur in white to black transitions of a VA.

Until you can afford OLED or some other subsequent technology you have to pick your poison.

Having played with a LOT of different monitors -- including the Dell 3014 in my video above -- I'm perfectly fine with the Omen's picture quality. With freesync on at 75hz - it presented a better gaming experience than the 3014 did.

The biggest negative on the Omen is the frame skipping with an NVidia card at 75hz. It's worthless. You have to use a straight 60Hz with an NVidia card on the Omen montiors or it feels sluggish and jerky.

Back