Playstation Vita Thread

Picked mine up(WiFi 8gb) this morning, gamestation here in the UK had a few £35 psn vouchers for £25 so I got a couple of those aswell. First thing I had to do was update the firmware. Now it's downloading about 6gb of vita games and PSP games. I bought the cartridge version of uncharted as it was the same price in-store as it is on the psn, and also because it would fill up too much of my memRoy card. Eagerly awaiting the 64gb cards in a few months. I wish the ps3 ui was as fast as the vitas.
 
Some used ones are popping up in shops around me, so I am starting to debate grabbing one. Uncharted and Wipeout look great, but I can't justify what will end up being a $400 purchase for two games... ($225 console $100 in games, $60 in accessories like men card and case).

Does it play PSone games from the psn store?
 
Some used ones are popping up in shops around me, so I am starting to debate grabbing one. Uncharted and Wipeout look great, but I can't justify what will end up being a $400 purchase for two games... ($225 console $100 in games, $60 in accessories like men card and case).

Does it play PSone games from the psn store?

It doesn't play PSone games yet but I believe they said that it will be able to pretty soon.

Mines out for delivery, hurry up UPS driver!
 
I have a Vita waiting for me at Gamestop. I picked up Rayman Origons and an 8GB mem. card. Man work is going to drag by today. I will post back with impressions later tonight.
 
Hmmm. Since I pre-ordered a long time ago, Amazon comped me a $20 freebie to compensate for some reason discounts. No complaints here! I used it to grab Ninja Gaiden Sigma.
 
Just picked mine up at bestbuy. Got a Vita wifi, lumines, wipeout 2048, MvC3 and a 32gb memory. Set for awhile but i might get some more games since bestbuy and target doing buy2g1 free. Please add me on psn: Carbon_Le.
 
What did you have to do to get that?

They just e-mailed it to me this morning.
Apparently it's related to the Vita and 4GB card bundle they did earlier this month. I pre-bought mine before that discount, so they just e-mailed me a $20 credit offer code.
 
Would you please explain this to me please? From the casual observer who has never owned a handle held gaming system, it just looks like a refreshed PSP with some limited smartphone capabilities.

I can't see how a 250-300 dollar mobile gaming system, with 40-50 dollar games can compete in a smartphone/tablet world. Why would I want to bring multiple devices with me, since I have to bring my phone anywhere I go. If I want a quick fix on a bus ride to work, couldn't I just play Angry Birds? Once I return home - it seems to me -I should just play the console version of Uncharted.

Who is the target audience of this system: hardcore gamers? According to a Forbes article I read, it's not even doing well in Japan That is scary because they don't even have as much iOS/Andriod market erosion as we do.

It is definitely not for everyone, like I said earlier. But you can't group the vita with smartphones because this is just a very powerful machine in comparison. You get real games that have great graphics with not just touchscreen but physical buttons as well. The vita's dual analog sticks definitely help in a lot of games where it failed on the PSP, ie. super stardust.

Also, uncharted on the vita is a prequel of sorts to the uncharted series so you won't find it on the ps3 either. You get near ps3/360 like graphics on this machine (not quite but the smaller screen makes things look a bit sharper.

The target audience is pretty much anyone who enjoys portable gaming or just anyone who doesn't like to sit in front of their computer all day. Especially people who need to take the transit system/ train.

It's definitely not doing that well in Japan but people forget the 3DS wasn't either in the beginning. The vita just needs some killer apps for the Japanese market and it will do fine like the late PSP in Japan.
 
Question for you guys. My son is 9yrs old. Would the Uncharted game be too mature for him? If so, can you recommend any PS Vita launch games that he would like?
 
Question for you guys. My son is 9yrs old. Would the Uncharted game be too mature for him? If so, can you recommend any PS Vita launch games that he would like?

Uncharted does have swearing in it (not sure how sensitive you are to that kind of stuff), so its up to your own discretion.

Little Deviants might be up your alley (I find some of the games are a chore.. not very many good mini games).. but I could see it being fun for a child.

Hot Shots Golf is a great one for anyone of all ages.. I don't even like Golf and I find the game enjoyable.

Also look at Rayman Origins.. a nice 2d platformer great for the family IMO.

Maybe even that Ben 10 galactic racing game? (I have no experience with this title).
 
i played the demo unit from my local shop. I was unimpressed by the load times on uncharted and modnation.

But the screens is GORGEOUS. I totally dig the PS vita , the unit felt sooo sturdy.
 
It is definitely not for everyone, like I said earlier. But you can't group the vita with smartphones because this is just a very powerful machine in comparison. You get real games that have great graphics with not just touchscreen but physical buttons as well. The vita's dual analog sticks definitely help in a lot of games where it failed on the PSP, ie. super stardust.

Also, uncharted on the vita is a prequel of sorts to the uncharted series so you won't find it on the ps3 either. You get near ps3/360 like graphics on this machine (not quite but the smaller screen makes things look a bit sharper.

The target audience is pretty much anyone who enjoys portable gaming or just anyone who doesn't like to sit in front of their computer all day. Especially people who need to take the transit system/ train.

It's definitely not doing that well in Japan but people forget the 3DS wasn't either in the beginning. The vita just needs some killer apps for the Japanese market and it will do fine like the late PSP in Japan.
I agree. I think it's fun, for when I want more than the quick time killer. I guess that's the best way to put it. The PS Vita isn't aimed at those who want a short minigame that lasts a few minutes, rather at those who want something more like a simplified PS3/xbox360 on the go. Though, I have to admit, the quality of most mobile games is what has always thrown me off, and I'm still looking for one that has the polish of a AAA release. Uncharted doesn't get near it (starting with the controls, ending with the almost half assed insertion of "any way we can find to use the touchscreen, DOO EET!!", Unit 13, judging by the demo, is aimed not as the CoD 12 y/o group, but rather incredibly, at 9 y/os. I'm waiting to see, but I do like what I have seen so far (in terms of potential). Mostly waiting on a decent RPG like borderlands, even a top down would be okay.

The biggest dissappointment for me, however, is Netflix cannot be used over 3G. I wanted to have a bigger screen than my iPhone when I'm waiting at a terminal, however, it seems like that's not an option (and I'm having trouble with some of my videos being transcoded. Seems like I have a 50/50 fail/win rate with Handbrake-->PS Vita).
 
Just got it! Awesome screen.

Where the hell is the settings menu though haha.

Edit: Nvm I am dumb.
 
Last edited:
I wonder if Sony is going to come out with a Experia Vita? Makes sense.
A nice android smartphone with real controls and Vita gaming power?

Hmmm...
 
Uncharted does have swearing in it (not sure how sensitive you are to that kind of stuff), so its up to your own discretion.

Little Deviants might be up your alley (I find some of the games are a chore.. not very many good mini games).. but I could see it being fun for a child.

Hot Shots Golf is a great one for anyone of all ages.. I don't even like Golf and I find the game enjoyable.

Also look at Rayman Origins.. a nice 2d platformer great for the family IMO.

Maybe even that Ben 10 galactic racing game? (I have no experience with this title).

Thanks for the info there.

Here is another Vita question. If I have 2 - 8GB mem cards, can I swap them out as needed. Fill up one with games then switch to the other when needed?
 
Persona 4: The Golden

once this comes out I'll be forced to buy a vita if I don't already own one before then. It comes out in spring for Japan so likely Fall for the US.
 
Thanks for the info there.

Here is another Vita question. If I have 2 - 8GB mem cards, can I swap them out as needed. Fill up one with games then switch to the other when needed?

You can do that but I believe the memory cards will be locked to a specific PSN account. If anyone else have more information feel free to jump in! :)
 
You can do that but I believe the memory cards will be locked to a specific PSN account. If anyone else have more information feel free to jump in! :)

That is retarded, what if I want to sell my system and the memory card?

WTF . . . .
 
You can do that but I believe the memory cards will be locked to a specific PSN account. If anyone else have more information feel free to jump in! :)

i believe this works as long as it's under one psn account
 
Persona 4: The Golden

once this comes out I'll be forced to buy a vita if I don't already own one before then. It comes out in spring for Japan so likely Fall for the US.

No way its making 2012 in US with a jpn June release.
Wheres Devil Survivor 2? Oh ... right...

I love Atlus but.... reality really fucks with hope...
 
Here's the info straight from Sony in regards to the Memory Cards and PSN accounts...

After you sign in to the PlayStation Network on your PS Vita, memory cards used on the system will be linked to that PSN account. This means, you can only use memory cards on PS Vita systems that have the same PSN account linked to it. In order for a memory card to be used with a different PSN account, the memory card will need to be formatted, which will erase all data on the memory card.

This doesn't sound like a big deal to me.
 
Well I can promise we'll be seeing a jump in sales in Japan in June.

Maybe a small bump, but nothing large. Persona is kind of popular, but it's no Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest (Warrior).

The Vita could bring the 3DS to its knees in Japan if it had a Monster Hunter title that was at least somewhat playable over 3G. Hell I'd buy that just to play it with some of my students on the train to work. I want to get a 3DS to do just that, but the region locking has prevented that.
 
My PSP is gathering dust in a drawer somewhere, I've put all of 10 hours on my 3DS since getting it a month after launch, yet I am inexplicably drawn to the Vita. Ugh. Help me.
 
I love Shin Megami Tensei, it's one of the best series ever. Really fun games, that and Disgaea.

I have SMT: DS Overclocked on 3DS.

They are making Disgaea and Persona games for the Vita, that's a great start.

Also, they are making Final Fantasy X for the Vita, that's a remake I would welcome, I consider it the best Final Fantasy game other than Xenogears.
 
Has anyone actually confirmed the ps vita is locked to AT&T.

I know it's been said it is locked. But has anyone here tried putting in a different sim?
 
Anyone know if you can track the 3g data usage on the device itself?
 
Enjoying it so far. That screen is wonderful and the touch functionality is better than I figured. It's up there with the best Androids and the iPhone. The OS is tricky for about 5 minutes, but once you pick it up, it's easy to use.
Uncharted looks and plays great and the PSP download version of Alpha 3 looks and runs better than ever. No complaints thus far!
 
My PSP is gathering dust in a drawer somewhere, I've put all of 10 hours on my 3DS since getting it a month after launch, yet I am inexplicably drawn to the Vita. Ugh. Help me.

There is no helping you, you are a gadget whore. (me too!)
 
There is no helping you, you are a gadget whore. (me too!)

Me three. I think this one will probably get more use than the 3DS, though. The larger screen, PS3 compatibility, and additional capacity makes this head more into "multimedia device" territory.
 
Back
Top