Playstation Vita Thread

refraxion

[H]F Junkie
So... the Sony Playstation Vita is about to come out. Is anybody here at [H] considering buying one?

One thing that really irks me is the price of the memory cards.

Though it does look like a sweet machine!

Last edited:
So... the Sony Playstation Vita is about to come out. Is anybody here at [H] considering buying one?

One thing that really irks me is the price of the memory cards.

Though it does look like a sweet machine!

of cuz it is... waiting for the package with my drool..

Guy hacks Vita to play Ps3 games. Videos of BF3 and Batman:Arkham City inside

http://vita.ign.com/articles/121/1217012p1.html

Youtube user homer49 has posted several videos of PlayStation 3 games running on the PlayStation Vita via Remote Play.

PS3 firmware 4.0 supports Remote Play officially, but these videos show the Vita using a hacked version of firmware 3.55, which recognises the device as a mobile phone.

As you can see in the videos below, there seem to be some latency issues, but otherwise the games run almost perfectly. The videos show Red Dead Redemption, Batman: Arkham City, Mortal Kombat, Battlefield 3 and others.

We saw Killzone 3 and LittleBigPlanet 2 running flawlessly via Remote Play at Tokyo Game Show last year, and Sony has plans to enable the function for plenty more PS3 games in the future. This, then, is just a taste of what's to come with official Sony support.

Edit: The thread title is wrong. For whatever reason, the article states that the video is of Batman: Arkham City, in reality it is Arkham Asylum shown.

Yeah I read about that. The Japanese demo of the remote play seemed pretty flawless but I wonder how that would work in north America... It would seem to me that it'd be a bit laggy.

I'm going to get one eventually, but not quite yet. I'm still recovering from a busy 2-3 months of games and Twisted Metal is still around the corner, too.
I imagine I'll have one before summer, though. The timing just isn't quite right.

I'm going to get one eventually, but not quite yet. I'm still recovering from a busy 2-3 months of games and Twisted Metal is still around the corner, too.
I imagine I'll have one before summer, though. The timing just isn't quite right.

I agree, they could have released it during Xmas in terms of timing.. Would have made some decent sales.

I'm unsure if this will be a future purchase. Owning & thoroughly using an Xperia Play has put the Vita as a possibility rather than a necessity for my mobile gaming.

I may get it if the Play loses its usefulness (which will definitely happen, though having a gaming phone is what I like about it & I want Sony to release a next-gen phone with a whole lot more support...) and/or the Vita goes on sale somewhere for a great price

Meh, I guess I'm a hypocrite because I just pre-bought one on Amazon. I figure I'll get a tax refund pretty soon and I really can't see myself not having a new Uncharted game ASAP :p
I'm a sucker for gimmicks...

If they hack it to play homebrew, maybe... :D

Oh god, this. With the amount of processing power this thing boasts I'd love to see some emulators ranging from Gen 1 to Gen 6 consoles. Especially on that OLED screen. :D

Though battery life looks like crap, it seems to have a slightly larger footprint than the PSP-1000, and I don't like the idea of getting Yet Another Sony Format™ card for this thing, but if it can be opened up like its predecessor I would disregard all of those drawbacks and pick one up in a heart beat.

Preordered and paid for (WiFi unit + 32gb card).
Also imported a few JP games to boot.
I am so ready.

is confirm that you can stream ps3 to the vita. Down side is the quality is scaled down to 480p. But still awsome if you are on the go.

Guy hacks Vita to play Ps3 games. Videos of BF3 and Batman:Arkham City inside

http://vita.ign.com/articles/121/1217012p1.html

Youtube user homer49 has posted several videos of PlayStation 3 games running on the PlayStation Vita via Remote Play.

This was shown to work with almost every game with the original PSP...the only difficult there was the single stick. A few PS3 games had this functionality built in (e.g. lair). Wouldn't be surprised if they just included this functionality anyway.

For someone who has been consistently out of the loop (for a while) and only got his PSP a year ago, WHY should I be EXCITED for Vita?

For someone who has been consistently out of the loop (for a while) and only got his PSP a year ago, WHY should I be EXCITED for Vita?

Hmmm. Well, it's much stronger, has 2 thumbsticks, and they're probably not going to keep making normal PSP games forever. It's nearly like having a portable PS3.
That said, if you only got a PSP a year ago, you might not care about having the latest and greatest. It seems cheap at first, but then you'll notice that the memory card is pricy and the games are $10 more than before, too.
I'd say it's probably a purchase for people that geek out on the newest stuff for now. I tend to fall into that group, so here I am.

If homebrew was ready at the North America launch, it would be a day one purchase for me.

What made me end up going for it was the promise of a day-1 Uncharted game (pretty much my favorite series), a perfect port of SF x. Tekken on the way, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma.
Those are 3 games I'm pretty sure I'll put a near infinite amount of time into so it makes sense.

I really want to get one but I am a little worried about the software support. Ill probably crack and order it on amazon though.

Have mine preordered on Newegg.

Wifi Vita: $249.99
32gb card: $99.99
Uncharted: Golden Abyss: $49.99
Little Deviants: $29.99
Vita Charging Cradle: $19.99
Vita case: $19.99
Vita screen protector: $9.99

Total = $480

The look on my face when the package comes = priceless.

Honestly, mobile gaming is what i have to do now. I got 7 new Xbox and PS3 games for Christmas and haven't played even a hour. Working two jobs, going to school, and taking care of the house it's impossible to play games anymore at home. So portable is the next best thing, and I hate playing games on cell phones. If there is no tactile feedback, I won't play it. The Vita will be perfect for my needs. Also, I am really wondering if after enough time of the Vita being out, whether you will be able to port PS2 games to the Vita like you were able to port Playstation games to the PSP.

ordered mine, im hoping it will get tv out and homebrew in the future, if it does then it will be also used as a home console until the ps4 comes out. was hoping for a 64gb card though as i already have 32gb in psp games from when i had the psp go lol.

Working two jobs, going to school, and taking care of the house it's impossible to play games anymore

Then why are you dropping 500 hundo on gaming equipment??!!?

(Yes, I shamelessly left off the end of the sentence to emphasize my point)

Then why are you dropping 500 hundo on gaming equipment??!!?

(Yes, I shamelessly left off the end of the sentence to emphasize my point)

I have the money, but don't have time at home to play games. I can play plenty at work and inbetween classes. It's all a matter of time.

I have the money, but don't have time at home to play games. I can play plenty at work and inbetween classes. It's all a matter of time.

Agreed, I'm waiting for more software perhaps a revision but definitely a price drop and I will probably get a Vita.

Its all a matter of time for me. But Disgaea 3 comes out April 17th so I'll have it on or before then. That seems to be the first game I'll be interested in playing.

But Atlus has announced both Persona 4 and another shin megami tensei title in the works.

Along with that Level-5 'aka bad ass mother fuckers' are working on a title called 'Time Travelers' which is going to be off some type of hook.

but if PS2 and/or ps3 emulation comes before April 17th I'll have it before then.

Then there is also the possible advantage of having the release model just encase the change something on future releases.

Then there is also the possible advantage of having the release model just encase the change something on future releases.

True. The launch PS3's are the only ones with true BC and the original PSPs are still the most flexible with modding.

I can't wait... I might get this from Best Buy.. if it doesn't live up to what I expect.. I can always return it with no repurcussions. The game lineup looks sick!

Woa amazon just came out with a sick bundle. I canceled my old order and switch to this one. I was originally going to get the wifi version and 8gb memory card but this bundle pretty much upgrades you to the 3g for $20 (plus you get a playstation network game and a free 250gb data plan for a month)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071NH8B8/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
True. The launch PS3's are the only ones with true BC and the original PSPs are still the most flexible with modding.

Sony is likely not going to make that mistake again. They'll just not even include BC and require online authorized purchase from the lau- nvm.

This really does have the raw potential to be the best hand held on the market.

Good price point, good hardware, and the 3DS didn't really up the game much with 3D.

All it needs is good marketing, Solid release of games, and Sony to try its hardest not to fuck it up.

If I was at Sony I'd be focusing hard on the US market and try and tie something like Steam into this. Steam on Vita would be pretty off the hook.

I never thought of that, but I actually like the idea of Steam on Vita.

Great idea guys!!!

So basically we would want to download our games to our memory cards, from the Steam servers?

Sounds like a winning strategy by any imaginable standard.

Clearly the thought of Steam on Vita is way over your head. But its fine, I get it.

I like the idea of Steam anywhere and everywhere, but I don't think we'll see it leave the computer platforms, except maybe for tablets.
MS, Sony, and Nintendo all seem to want to do their own thing store-wise. While their front-ends can range from good to great (although MS took some step backwards with the new 360 UI), none of them have the same efficiency as Steam on the back-end.

What I can see happening is just ports of Valve games onto the Vita, with Steam integration. Just like how Portal 2 worked. A new Left 4 Dead on the Vita would be pretty snazzy.. though I'd buy it on PC if anything.

Back