Playstation Vita Thread

So, is getting a Vita worth it? I've been debating, but there's nothing fun to play except Wipeout. :(

I really enjoy the pinball game and Super Stardust Delta, but maybe that's just me. I'm planning on getting Gravity Rush also when it's available. I tend to like playing the arcade style games vs RPGs on a handheld. I want something I can enjoy for 30 minutes and put it down.

I don't know if you guys care about other aspects of the Vita but Netflix looks and works really well on it.
 
Killzone is pretty good, but I believe Sony needs to get away from trying to replicate the home console experience on a mobile platform. Waiting on the Vita version of Batman and Tearaway atm
 
Batman will be interesting,though with PS+ I have such a backlog now that I need to get through...

Persona 4 Golden, is just amazing. Having made my through about 70 hours of play, I can say that it hasn't felt like a chore one bit. It's segmented enough that it works just fine on mobile, and the depth to the story is fantastic. IMO this is right up there with any top RPGs of yore and is a must play for any JRPG fan that might have missed it on PS2.

So. Good.
 
Haven't used by Vita since.. about a month after Persona 4 came out, but PS4 integration looks interesting, so will probably try to find time to fiddle with that.
 
Batman will be interesting,though with PS+ I have such a backlog now that I need to get through...

Persona 4 Golden, is just amazing. Having made my through about 70 hours of play, I can say that it hasn't felt like a chore one bit. It's segmented enough that it works just fine on mobile, and the depth to the story is fantastic. IMO this is right up there with any top RPGs of yore and is a must play for any JRPG fan that might have missed it on PS2.

So. Good.

+1. I even liked it more than persona 3 FES. Its hard to say what would have made it better. More complex RPG systems and deeper and more complex dungeons would have made it better for me....but those changes might have made it worse for others.

I hope the next one is more adult themed...Maybe college or something.

I just hope now that sega owns Atlus their quality doesn't start to diminish....not that sega is know for bad quality per say but they have proven themselves incompetent when it comes to management and such.
 
I really need to give persona 4 another shot.... I tried once and didnt stick with it
 
I've still got a ton to do in Persona, and I need to get started on Sly Cooper. That's been sitting for quite a while.

Killzone's good then, eh? I really, really want FFX HD. Already has a release date in Japan ffs.
 
Yes it's the best fps on the console (or any hand held) but it's just one of those things that should be played on the big screen. Games like Dragons Crown, Persona, etc are great on mobile and a fps game that worked on mobile was the unit. It had short missions and was more suited to the platform.

Still, Killzone is leaps and bounds better it's just one of those things I guess.
 
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/18/new-playstation-vita-review-2013/

Did anyone see the review for the new Vita? I don't have one yet, but after reading this review, I really want to wait for this one. Or, I might pick one up in Japan in November when I visit. The battery life is the big factor to me - 8 hours?!

Last year's Vita gave us around four and a half hours of gaming and Sony has promised at least an extra hour on the new model. In practice, we got up to eight hours of continuous gaming, and that's with brightness at 50 percent, WiFi on and several downloads during testing. This rocketed up to more than 12 hours when we played through less-intensive PSP and PS1 games. That's substantially better run time than we saw on the first Vita, and it beats Sony's own estimates, too; a pretty respectable run, we'd say. While we didn't time it, more casual use lasted around two days, and you can expect video playback to last roughly half a day. Regardless of whether you're thrilled to see LCD replace that OLED screen, we think the battery savings are worth it.
 
Yeah. I'd rather have the current screen. Since I'm in the group of people that already has the current Vita, it's a non-issue, but for anyone coming fresh into the Vita, it might be worth considering, especially if you've never held/seen the current Vita. Battery time isn't so much an issue for me, as I rarely play more than 2 hours at a time anyway, then it gets charged up again.
 
I don't really take my Vita out of my house so battery issues aren't really much of an issue for me either. The screen as is, is very, very nice.

The upside the new model has though, is that it does have 1GB of storage built in, which I guess is nice if you aren't in a position to be able to fork out the $$ (despite price reductions) for a memory card at the time of purchase. I mean, I'd rather go home with a Vita + game rather than Vita + memory card and no game. 1GB doesn't go very far, but it's better than nothing.

Personally, I like to get my hands on the 64GB storage, I guess I could import it from Japan, but maybe I'm just being greedy. My 32 GB is about half full at the moment, and that's with 6 months of PS+ under its belt, plus 2 PSP games that I've bought.

The cost of storage is somewhat cost prohibitive, but it is well worth it. I wouldn't go lower than 32GB just for sanity's sake.

Also, any JRPG lovers should most definitely buy a copy of Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky off the PSN for PSP. This may just be the best JRPG on the PSP.
 
Another really cool thing you can do with the Vita, since it has Bluetooth, is to link it to a portable speaker system. I connect mine to my KMC 3. It's nice to have big, full sound with some low end punch without having to wear headphones and mess with a cord. I wish the 3DS could do that also.
 
Tearaway is being rated almost as high as Zelda A link between world's........

I'm fairly surprised by that, I was going to buy it but now it's a day one purchase. My only problem is that it's a short game at 7-8 hours.
 
I haven't tested the remote play app yet, does anyone know if you can remote play Vita games on the PS4? Would love to play dragon's crown on the big screen without buying the PS3 copy
 
^ from what I've seen that isn't possible right now if ever. The remote play does work pretty good I have really good wireless though. In Curious to see if you could do it away from home but mines under the tree for the kids so I'll test that after Xmas
 
I love remote play, I want to take it to a free wifi spot and see if I can play there and how well it would do.
 
Vita has a hit game and no one talks about it? :(

Tearaway Reviews -

Destructoid 10/10
US Gamer 10/10
PocketGamer 10/10
Joypad 100/100
Polygon 9.5/10
EGM 9.5/10
IGN 9.3/10
 
Vita has a hit game and no one talks about it? :(

Tearaway Reviews -

Destructoid 10/10
US Gamer 10/10
PocketGamer 10/10
Joypad 100/100
Polygon 9.5/10
EGM 9.5/10
IGN 9.3/10

All too busy playing the unbelievable ingenuity of Dead Rising, and the amazing sensation that is Killzone. :)

Me? I've got too much of a backlog to come to this, but I'm hoping it's something I can tackle in the new year, possibly Jan-Feb. It looks dope.
 
Vita has a hit game and no one talks about it? :(

Tearaway Reviews -

Destructoid 10/10
US Gamer 10/10
PocketGamer 10/10
Joypad 100/100
Polygon 9.5/10
EGM 9.5/10
IGN 9.3/10

It is only a matter of time before there are a hand full of these things. This however doesn't look like my cup of tea.
 
Just picked up a Japanese vita 2000 and I'm loving it so far. Battery lasted through two flights (one international) but I wasn't constantly playing. Gravity rush is amazing btw.
 
...please tell me they are still selling Vita units with the OLED screen.
 
How do you like the screen compared to the OLED Vita?

Considering I haven't had much FaceTime with an OLED vita, I can't really compare. However, the LCD screen is quite good and viewing angles are great. The Engadget review with the battery life tests really pushed me to get the 2000 model over the 1000.

For what it's worth, the OLED model is still being sold in japan, and it's the only model available in the US at the moment.

From Digital Foundry/Eurogamet's review (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-playstation-vita-pch-2000-review):

Ultimately, while the use of an LCD panel cannot match the same level of performance found in the previous Vita's OLED display, it comfortably holds up against some of those found in top-end smartphones. So in that respect the PCH-2000's screen is still rather excellent, and a cut above many other competing handheld devices, although it won't have you captivated in the same way as the original OLED screen.


 
Last edited:
I got the white Vita 2000 from Yodobashi Camera in the Umeda area of Osaka. Since taxes are included in the price, it wasn't much more than buying a Vita in the US at a sale price. 19,500 yen was the final price, or about $195.
 
Back
Top