Oculus Quest 2

How about this

I believe this works.

This will work for now but will go away in 2 years. From facebook: "Starting January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts, including unmerged Oculus developer accounts, and you will need to log in with a Facebook account to access full functionality on the Oculus platform." But yeah its not a permanent "jailbreak" where you get root access. Its a temporary exception for developer accounts (which anyone can make if you give them your name, credit card info, and verify by phone).

This will work for now but will go away in 2 years. From facebook: "Starting January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts, including unmerged Oculus developer accounts, and you will need to log in with a Facebook account to access full functionality on the Oculus platform." But yeah its not a permanent "jailbreak" where you get root access. Its a temporary exception for developer accounts (which anyone can make if you give them your name, credit card info, and verify by phone).

2 years is a long time. You can buy the Quest 2, use it for two years and replace it with something better.

By then there will be more options on the Market and more than likely the Quest 3 will be out.

That sucks. As long as its tethered to Facebook I won't buy one. I want nothing to do with that company.

Well Facebook owns Oculus so if you want nothing to do with the company it doesn't matter if you have to login with their account or not, you would be paying them money for the headset.

I was turned off by the Facebook login thing but I bought one anyways. Quest 2 is by far the best value, and arguably the best headset. It's only $300, can be used standalone or with a PC, and even wirelessly with a PC. There aren't any other good standalone headsets, the only headset with better resolution is the G2 which has worse tracking and is PC only, can't do wireless, etc. The only other wireless solutions costs thousands of dollars.

I'm glad I got it. I just set all the privacy options on for the facebook stuff and don't get any weird things shared with friends or anything posted on my facebook account. I'm sure facebook still collect some data for themselves, but I don't really care. Anything I would want to keep private is done through my PC via virtual desktop streamer and they can't track that.

I can just put on my headset and play anywhere without any clunky setup process. And I can play PC VR anywhere in my house without any clunky setup process or wires. That's pretty awesome for any amount of money, and the Quest 2 does it for $300.

2 years is a long time. You can buy the Quest 2, use it for two years and replace it with something better.

By then there will be more options on the Market and more than likely the Quest 3 will be out.
I mean I agree with you. I bought a Quest 2 and am using an unmerged account. But I feel that people should know that the unmerged account option is only good for 2 years so they can make an informed decision. It's not a permanent jailbreak and has a set expiration date. But overall, Quest 2 is still the best VR option short of an Index.

Having used the Quest 2 for a couple weeks pretty regularly I have to say that it's pretty good.

Things I enjoy about it over the Quest 1 are pretty major but it still need works. While the Quest 1 has a better FOV (pretty decently I might add) and better colors and black levels (OLED is being heavily missed..) that's about it as far as I can tell. My IPD being ~70mm means the Quest 1 had the advantage here though, to be honest, the widest setting for the Quest 2 is fine.

So yeah, other than the FOV, colors and contrast, and IPD adjustment I'd say the Quest 2 is better in every other way. It's WAY lighter, the Elite strap is far batter than the Quest 1's and makes the Quest 2 a more ridged headset which I prefer, feels more solid and less floppy. Built in sound is still lacking on the Quest 2 but it's definitely better than the first. The resolution is DEFINITELY a step up. I didn't think the Rift S was a dramatic jump from the CV1 resolution wise (especially considering it's other downsides), nor was the Quest 1...but the Quest 2 is noticeable. Nearly SDE-less and much closer to "real life". I don't find myself having to squint or zoom in on stuff like I did every headset before. Genuinely something I feel is a good step-up worthy of upgrade alone.

Add in the far better SoC and even stand alone games look great and play great.

The controllers are roughly the same...I was OK with the Quest 1's controllers...neither as good as the CV1's (upward ring is a pain in the ass).

So yeah, over all it's pretty good. I think the laziness/cheapness on the LCD panel and lack of adjustable IPD (and thus smaller FOV) is major but other than that I've really got no complaints!

Last edited:
Having used the Quest 2 for a couple weeks pretty regularly I have to say that it's pretty good.

Things I enjoy about it over the Quest 1 are pretty major but it still need works. While the Quest 1 has a better FOV (pretty decently I might add) and better colors and black levels (OLED is being heavily missed..) that's about it
as far as I can tell. My IPD being ~70mm means the Quest 1 had the advantage here though, to be honest, the widest setting for the Quest 2 is fine.

So yeah, other than the FOV, colors and contrast, and IPD adjustment I'd say the Quest 2 is better in every other way. It's WAY lighter, the Elite strap is far batter than the Quest 1's and makes the Quest 2 a more ridged headset which I prefer, feels more solid and less floppy. Built in sound is still lacking on the Quest 2 but it's definitely better than the first. The resolution is DEFINITELY a step up. I didn't think the Rift S was a dramatic jump from the CV1 resolution wise (especially considering it's other downsides), nor was the Quest 1...but the Quest 2 is noticeable. Nearly SDE-less and much closer to "real life". I don't find myself having to squint or zoom in on stuff like I did every headset before. Genuinely something I feel is a good step-up worthy of upgrade alone.

Add in the far better SoC and even stand alone games look great and play great.

The controllers are roughly the same...I was OK with the Quest 1's controllers...neither as good as the CV1's (upward ring is a pain in the ass).

So yeah, over all it's pretty good. I think the laziness/cheapness on the LCD panel and lack of adjustable IPD (and thus smaller FOV) is major but other than that I've really got no complaints!

Quest 2 is the first headset with dense enough resolution not to bother me. For the most part it's easy to read text and I don't notice the screen door effect unless I look for it. That was the problem for me with lower resolution headsets, it felt like playing on a 640x480 CRT.

It definitely could be improved further though. Trying to snipe something far away, or look at something far way is hard because it just doesn't have the resolution, but I feel the same way trying to do flat gaming on a 1080p screen compared to 4k.

I also wish it was OLED, but I guess there just aren't any OLED panels as dense yet.

Quest 2 is the first headset with dense enough resolution not to bother me. For the most part it's easy to read text and I don't notice the screen door effect unless I look for it. That was the problem for me with lower resolution headsets, it felt like playing on a 640x480 CRT.

It's funny because, before the Quest 2, I really didn't have ANY issues with the resolution...even with the CV1 before the Quest (which while it has a higher resolution I couldn't tell). Now though? I put on the Quest 1 and everything is SUPER grainy and aliased. Still doesn't look horrible but the Quest 2 is my first headset where there resolution has really made a difference.

I also wish it was OLED, but I guess there just aren't any OLED panels as dense yet.
There were dense OLEDs but no longer. Up to 2012, Samsung used to make OLEDs with subpixels that were regular RGB. The less dense pentile OLEDs are just cheaper to manufacture and have longer lifespans so they eventually switched over as you can't tell the difference on phones. Its technically possible to have them custom manufacture screens with dense OLEDs again but that would cost wayyy too much compared with just slapping an LCD phone screen in a VR headset.

Quest 2 is the first headset with dense enough resolution not to bother me. For the most part it's easy to read text and I don't notice the screen door effect unless I look for it.

Agreed. The image clarity (even streamed from PC) is fantastic. SDE is virtually invisible, as in you can still tell that the image is built on pixels but it is near impossible to see the grid pattern unless you are looking at a solid color and really look for it. More clarity is always better but it is not necessarily worth the performance hit for such small improvements. The performance is better put on expanding FOV which is way more pressing issue at this point. This is a part that Quest 3 NEEDS to improve on, otherwise what is the point of even making one. If it would have same sharpness as Quest 2 but with a FOV of an Index (no matter what your IPD is, BRING BACK DUAL SCREENS!) it would be amazing product.

not necessarily worth the performance hit for such small improvements

I think this depends on the resolution jump though? Like, the Quest 1 was higher resolution than the CV1 by a good bit but it was still borderline low-resolution based on text legibility, using iron sights on guns that you could barely see, etc. In other words, it didn't seem to really matter, ya know?

I was telling my cousin last night that to me VR is all about immersion and for ME the resolution on the Quest 2 is actually so immersive that even things like contrast and colors, something I knew where most important in creating visually believable worlds, have taken a back seat in favor of actually being able to SEE what I'm looking at.

Seriously, playing a game like MSFS 2020 the other day and being able to just read the dashboard without having to squint and zoom in or move in closer etc was an eye opening mind blower! Like, I almost couldn't even believe it!

I think this depends on the resolution jump though? Like, the Quest 1 was higher resolution than the CV1 by a good bit but it was still borderline low-resolution based on text legibility, using iron sights on guns that you could barely see, etc. In other words, it didn't seem to really matter, ya know?

I was telling my cousin last night that to me VR is all about immersion and for ME the resolution on the Quest 2 is actually so immersive that even things like contrast and colors, something I knew where most important in creating visually believable worlds, have taken a back seat in favor of actually being able to SEE what I'm looking at.

Seriously, playing a game like MSFS 2020 the other day and being able to just read the dashboard without having to squint and zoom in or move in closer etc was an eye opening mind blower! Like, I almost couldn't even believe it!

But that was what I was saying, the Quest 2 has jumped over the threshold where clarity is no longer an issue for immersion. More is always better, but at this that performance penalty that comes from improving things in the future is better put on widening the FOV. Remember that for wider FOV you have to expand the horizontal resolution of the panels, that is if you want to do it without sacrificing clarity what we have now.

There is a setting in Virtual Desktop called performance Overlay. It shows the latency and framerate. Enable it and check to see where the problems are.

Also when you start Virtual desktop what is it showing for the connection mbs at the top of the window.
Virtual Desktop got official WiFi streaming support added to its Oculus store app, so I dropped my OCULUS30 promo code on it. Didn't do anything differently, loaded it up again on the Quest 2, launched the Virtual Desktop Streamer on my PC, and the jitter is gone. Something about the side loaded version just didn't play nicely with my setup I suppose.

It may be a targeted promo, but the email I got says the 30% off coupon code OCULUS30 is valid until March 7th.

Virtual Desktop got official WiFi streaming support added to its Oculus store app, so I dropped my OCULUS30 promo code on it. Didn't do anything differently, loaded it up again on the Quest 2, launched the Virtual Desktop Streamer on my PC, and the jitter is gone. Something about the side loaded version just didn't play nicely with my setup I suppose.

It may be a targeted promo, but the email I got says the 30% off coupon code OCULUS30 is valid until March 7th.

Funny, my friend who is a new Quest 2 user got the same email with 30% of code but me, a long time Oculus user never got such. It is possible that I missed it but I always check junk mail folder too so I doubt it unless my brain just happened to fart right in that moment. Got to try if it works for me too though.

Funny, my friend who is a new Quest 2 user got the same email with 30% of code but me, a long time Oculus user never got such. It is possible that I missed it but I always check junk mail folder too so I doubt it unless my brain just happened to fart right in that moment. Got to try if it works for me too though.
Yeah I just got the Quest 2 this past December, but I've had a Rift for 2+ years. Can't really tell why they selected me. :D

I don't think I got an email but did get a popup in the Oculus app or whatever. They seem to do the 30% thing quite frequently although I don't know if they keep sending them to people who actually use the coupon as opposed to let them expire. I recall like 3 or so offers but I didn't use any. I'm mainly a steam/VD user with exception of beat saber which I bought on Oculus. They probably send them to people that haven't spent much on the Oculus store to try to get them to start.

Also, the best VR OLED has 6x more motion blur than the Quest 2 LCD because of laws of physics (Talbot Plateau Theorem). Quest 2 is 0.3ms MPRT while the OLED VR is 2ms MPRT.

It's easier to outsource light emission to an overkill heatsinked LED backlight, than from direct OLED pixels at the moment, allowing brighter strobes in briefer pulses. So they can strobe much briefer than OLED. And Carmack's brilliant work on the LCD allowed it to have zero strobe crosstalk even for top/center/bottom edges -- a rarity in LCD. You run www.testufo.com/crosstalk in Oculus' in-VR web browser, and it's just better-than-CRT clarity -- not even a phosphor ghost, and the alien's eyes are perfectly clear pixelly squares on those fast moving UFOs.

You can compare the motion blur for yourself: A great example is the sheet of paper on Robo Recall's headquarters desk. Lean over it, and nod your head head while keeping your eyes on the sheet of paper. (You eyetrack the paper as it scrolls back and fourth across your VR panel). Or reading fine text on walls while moving past walls. Etc. On OLED VR such as Oculus Rift, it motionblurs bad, but on the Quest 2, it stays very tack sharp (over Oculus Link).

I saw a MicroLED FALD VR prototype. I think I'd prefer a 100,000-LED Full Array Local Dimming VR LCD (less bloom than a CRT) with using Nanosys Quantum Dot (better color than many OLEDs), over an OLED VR headset. I love OLED, but all of the LCD-disadvantages-over-OLED are all fixable with higher end panels. MicroLED is capable of cramming 100,000 LEDs behind a small VR LCD, to eliminate local-dimming blooming.

Also, the Vicious Cycle Effect (higher resolutions screens amplifying visibility of motion blur) means motion blur reduction is even more important for higher resolution screens.

I made an earlier post about this:
The Behind-The-Scenes Reasons Why New LCD VR has 6x Less Motion Blur Than OLED VR

Last edited:
So I've had my quest 2 for a couple weeks now. Friend has a valve index and I previously owned a rift cv1 that I gifted to my nephew.

For the money the quest 2 is absolutely fantastic. Image quality is amazing. I'm honestly not envious of the index at all and the ability to be cordless negates any of the positives the index has IMO. The fact that I can bring my quest 2 to work and play some games at lunch to get some movement in is a game-changer. Cordless is where it's at.

I love this thing for the $299 it cost.

Yup, the Quest 2 is by far the best overall headset if price is factored in, nothing else comes close. It's good at everything, and great at a few. Good image, good comfort, good controllers, good tracking, great game selection, great wireless, great price. The only knock on it is FOV imo, it is a bit of a step back in that regard. I'd have been happier with 10-15 degrees more horizontal FOV and a corresponding slight drop in iq. Due to the wider FOV with similar iq and better comfort, I usually use my Odyssey+ for sims, but use the Quest 2 for everything else.

Th
Well Facebook owns Oculus so if you want nothing to do with the company it doesn't matter if you have to login with their account or not, you would be paying them money for the headset.
Good point, and an even better reason not to purchase one. The longer social media companies stay in business, the worse off the world is.

Just got the Quest 2 after having own an original Rift.

I bought the $299 version.

I wasn't happy with the Facebook tie in but I've learned to live with it.

This is a much more versatile VR. I purchased an Oculus Link cable from Amazon for @$35 and it works very well tethered to my PCs for the original games purchased for the Rift. You ought to experience MSFS 2020 in VR! WOW!

Th

Good point, and an even better reason not to purchase one. The longer social media companies stay in business, the worse off the world is.

Well, that's kinda of like cutting off your nose to spite your face. The Quest 2 is the best selling headset ever. So you buying or not buying isn't going to make any difference. Because, unfortunately, The Social Media companies aren't going anywhere.

Did you do anything to uninstall/remove the side loaded version? The thing that I do not understand in your comment is, that you bought the VD in the Oculus app. If you ran the sideloaded version, you already purchased it, as you have had to, the sideloaded thing is only a patch. Or did you sideload the complete VD in a less official way before?

Did you do anything to uninstall/remove the side loaded version? The thing that I do not understand in your comment is, that you bought the VD in the Oculus app. If you ran the sideloaded version, you already purchased it, as you have had to, the sideloaded thing is only a patch. Or did you sideload the complete VD in a less official way before?
I purchased and loaded VD back in January, patched it with SideQuest and found that head movement jitter was extremely disorienting. So after spending day or so of troubleshooting and trying different settings, I uninstalled and refunded it. I re-purchased it last week with a discount and don't have the head movement jitter anymore.

I didn't touch/change anything on the desktop side, still using the same settings in the Virtual Desktop Streamer. My WiFi settings are also the same, same hardware, still 5GHz (not even on a dedicated 5GHz band like I did when troubleshooting). On the Quest 2, the only thing I did was reinstall VD after purchasing it again.

Last edited:
I think I’m going to pick this up this week. Is there any really reason to get the 256 over the 64 if it’s mainly going to be used with a pc?

I purchased and loaded VD back in January, patched it with SideQuest and found that head movement jitter was extremely disorienting. So after spending day or so of troubleshooting and trying different settings, I uninstalled and refunded it. I re-purchased it last week with a discount and don't have the head movement jitter anymore.

I didn't touch/change anything on the desktop side, still using the same settings in the Virtual Desktop Streamer. My WiFi settings are also the same, same hardware, still 5GHz (not even on a dedicated 5GHz band like I did when troubleshooting). On the Quest 2, the only thing I did was reinstall VD after purchasing it again.
Thanks for the answer, it was too obvious in the end haha. I as good as gave the answer in my question, through sideloading the patch meant it was patched. So uninstalling and reinstalling is the solution. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you ;)

I think I’m going to pick this up this week. Is there any really reason to get the 256 over the 64 if it’s mainly going to be used with a pc?
If you are really only using it with games streaming from your PC, then no. I thought of going that way too, still bought the 256GB just in case and now I am glad I did. Some games are Quest store exclusive and I love them, also, some games just are better on the headset itself. Beat Saber, while the difference is not huge, it can get frustrating when you are really going strong and just a slight hiccup takes you out of your rythm. 64GB isn't a lot, especially if you consider not all of it is usable for games due to the OS and all that on it.

If you are a 100% convinced you will not buy more than 3-4 games now and in the future, then 64GB is more than enough.

I mainly wanted it for PC VR too, but I end up using it more for the standalone games like the guy above. There are a lot of good multiplayer games, and if you don't care about graphics too much standalone is the best way to go for those.

After buying $200 worth of standalone games, DESPITE having an RTX 3080 crissakes, I regret not buying 256GB.

PCVR and standalone VR is currently a 1:2 ratio (33%:66% approx). Unexpectedly, I run twice as many hours using standalone-VR software for many reasons, including non-game reasons.

The instant switch-room flexibility and the ability to make an unused gym/backyard at night/convention room into a 25x25 RoomScale playspace in a mere 15 seconds of in-VR setup. No wires, no computer, no Wifi, no online needed (for most in-VR games). Just go to any big room, put on headset, draw a square/rectangle around you, and the headset will keep you safe even if you run around willy nilly. It will automatically make the real world transparent (via the headset cameras) if you accidentally step out of bounds and get too close to walls or furniture. Fastest and safest RoomScale setup ever.

It means you just put on the headset anywhere and play. I even went VR bowling in my backyard (at night, lit by one patio bulb -- the Quest 2 is incompatible with sunlight) so I could have a full running bowling alley space last fall. Will do again in the spring when it gets warmer.

Yes, I also completed Half Life Alyx twice - on older tethered VR, and cordlessly via Virtual Desktop streaming.

50% of Quest 2 is non-gaming, even. Exercise machine. Virtual meets.

Like meeting a family member virtually in the same room (despite being 1000km away) and talking to each other (Quest 2 has builtin mic) as if both of you are visiting the same virtual beachfront house, even playing checkers/chess with your retired relative on a virtual living room table in the same virtual beachront house (Alcove VR app, a favourite of nursing homes that feel like locked down covid jails). Buy a refurb $199 Quest 2 for your nursing home grandparents so you can talk to them in VR - it is easier than an iPad to setup! (No VR headset comes close to this setup ease).

It is also cheaper than a gym membership. You can even virtually row the Venice Canal on your own rowing machine, or virtually cycle Tour de France on an exercise bike, with the exercise apps that syncs to your motions on your home exercise machine (if any). Even optionally improved sync if your exercise machine supports Bluetooth, though it will use motion sensing for your dumb exercise machine. If you're exercising at home, might as well take a virtual vacation at the same time.

Or if you have no gym machines, just play simpler games like Beat Saber aerobically and cordlessly with the same graphics quality as PCVR. You can lose pounds with Beat Saber in this pandemic! The built-in Snapdragon XR GPU is more powerful than most PC gamers expect and it can match the VR graphics of an older GTX 1070 / 1080 in some VR games.

When you travel again, Quest 2 makes a good virtual IMAX theater. Look at your airplane seat (while wearing Quest 2) and you see it virtually replaced by a cinema folding seat with big-drink cupholder. And staring up at a 100 foot IMAX screen playing your MP4 or MKV. But you’re actually sitting in an airplane. I tried it on an airplane (flew once during pandemic) and it works perfect! Extra movie storage for backseat cinema. For car backseat or buses which shake a lot more, make sure you temporarily switch BigScreen app to 3dof operation instead of 6dof, to prevent G-forces from wreaking havoc with your positionals. It’s the best movie goggles ever too, and you need gigabytes for all those offline videos.

The Snapdragon GPU even plays humongous 8K video files at hundreds of megabytes per second! Viewing 4K 2D movie files in Quest 2 is sometimes (with a good video file) sharper than those skimpy 1080p real life multiplex cinema. Especially since you essentially get to choose your favourite virtualized movie seat, screen size and distance. Although you are getting less than 4K total per eye, the fact the screen can be bigger than one eye view, and you can optionally make your screen so big, you need to turn your head to see the rest of the screen, means you can have a really sharp 4K 2D movie play experience, despite some in-VR games looking blurry/fuzzy (due to scaling) -- the better movie player apps (BigScreen) are capable of maxing out the resolution of your Quest 2 far beyond the sharpness of the average scaled-graphics in-headset VR app. And stereoscopic 3D movies play more eye-comfortably than Real3D / Disney3D polarized glasses. 4K 2D movie video files play more sharp/crisply in Quest 2 than a desktop 1080p monitor.

And 64GB barely fits one home-ripped owned 4K 3D Blu-Ray that Quest 2 even has the built-in horsepower to play.

Some games are okay on a plane/bed/seated such as Down The Rabbit Hole, where you don’t need to reach far (it’s like a dollhouse 3D version of Sierra Quest or Maniac Mansion). The ability to lounge anywhere to play simple seated-playable content like that is fun.

Oh, the takealong convenience again. One more thing. Chromecast compatible! It is fun to spontaneously stream your game to anybody's Chromecast TV / Miracast compatible TV. So you can visit your family member (leave the PC behind) and they can watch you play your Beat Saber game in VR. They can watch the TV to see what you're doing with your lightsabers!

I buy more Quest 2 in-VR apps, than smartphone apps at the moment. I just treat it as an additional app device beyond my smartphones, my tablets, and my computers. Doesn't replace my 3080 powered rig, but supplements my PC. It's literally the Nintendo Switch of VR (and probably selling almost as fast), you can conveniently app on the go, or you can play linked to PCVR.

I am Chief Blur Buster, PC Master Race, and I recommend 256GB in your Quest 2

.... unless you pick up one of those $199 refurb 64GB steals.

Last edited:
I played about an hour and a half of Real VR Fishing last night on the Quest 2 with a friend and had a lot of fun. I was impressed that you can have voice chat and play music via the games built in music player and even with the stock headphones it cancels out your music so only you hear it and not anyone else in voice chat. It's quite the experience sitting back on the couch and fishing for an hour in VR, only bad part is that it is hard to find your drink without taking the headset off. 😅

The game itself still has some limits, I don't believe you can drive the boat around and you can't wander around on shore but otherwise it's decent. It would be nice to have a full 3D world to explore though.

Random question and sorry if this has already been answered, but using link cable for Oculus Quest 2 or even aftermarket cable, when hooking the headset my Rtx 2080 usbc port not getting a pleasant experience and also the test sometimes passes and sometimes failed. I have a b450 motherboard with r5 3600. Trying to use link to get to Steam VR Library. Of note Rift 1 works great on same system.

Random question and sorry if this has already been answered, but using link cable for Oculus Quest 2 or even aftermarket cable, when hooking the headset my Rtx 2080 usbc port not getting a pleasant experience and also the test sometimes passes and sometimes failed. I have a b450 motherboard with r5 3600. Trying to use link to get to Steam VR Library. Of note Rift 1 works great on same system.
Have you tried any other ports

Have you tried any other ports
Yes I have usb 3, 5gbps ports from the motherboard that appear to work okay (borrowing a friends usb c to a cable), but I was under the impression the usb off the GPU were supposed to be for this gen of VR, or at the very lease give me an extra workable port at 10gbps. Maybe have something configured incorrectly on Mobo or the gpu?

Yes I have usb 3, 5gbps ports from the motherboard that appear to work okay (borrowing a friends usb c to a cable), but I was under the impression the usb off the GPU were supposed to be for this gen of VR, or at the very lease give me an extra workable port at 10gbps. Maybe have something configured incorrectly on Mobo or the gpu?

Actually, no, the USB C on Turing GPUs are worse than using a motherboards USB port for Virtual Link. Nvidia dropped the ports entirely from their latest GPUs.

Back