Which VR headset to buy in 2020?

reaper12

2[H]4U
I canceled my G2 preorder and bought a Quest 2. Let me tell you I am absolutely blown away by this thing. And yes, this will read as hyperbole because I've never really experienced VR before, so as I type this I'm still riding that first time VR high. I just tried the Beat Saber demo and I'm so overwhelmed with joy that I have tears in my eyes. This is like experiencing video games for the first time again. Can't wait to try HL: Alyx.

Honestly I went in expecting this thing to be garbage because it's dirt cheap. But I am pleasantly surprised. No screen door effect. There is blurriness outside of the sweet spot, but I suspect that this is normal for VR. Once you're immersed in a game that blurriness fades away.

I love reading peoples first reaction to VR. Your reaction pretty much mirrors mine when I tried the Rift Civ 1 back in 2016. Thought I had wasted my money because I hated 3D and the videos on Youtube didn't look great. But when I put on the headset. wow!! I was blown away and it's exactly like you said. It was like experiencing games for the first time.

If you liked Beat Saber, you should consider buying Pistol Whip as well.

reaper12

2[H]4U
Believe me, I am SO tempted to do the same. Especially because of the constant delays of shipping the damn things into europe and HP's radio silence on burning questions that people have. And I know a shop near me gets new stock next tuesday. I could walk in, get it and order some cheap Link compatible USB cable from Amazon and maybe a good bluetooth headset on black friday. Also I would get a headset that I know would have good tracking with very little blindspots. Only reason why I have not done so already is because I am also a videophile movie freak and I'd like to have the very best screens for movie watching and am unsure if Quest 2 is good enough.

*edit* God damnit, maybe I should just get it and if it turns out to be good enough then I can cancel the Reverb G2. If not then return the Quest 2 and keep on waiting for the G2.

*edit2* Does Oculus Quest 2 come with free copy of Robo Recall? PCVR Rift did. That is a fantastic game to dip your toes into VR gunplay. And fantastic arcade style game in general.
My advice would be, ask yourself what type of games do you play the most? If it's mainly Sim games get the Reverb. If it's mainly roomscale games get the Quest 2.

If it' 50/50 get both ;):D Only half joking with this part.

For myself. After getting used to playing games wirelessly with the Quest 2, I can't go back wired gaming. I would take a drop in visual quality to stay wireless. With the update the Link cable is now better visually than using Virtual desktop. But the wire takes me completely out of the game and I am back to using it using Virtual Desktop for PCVR games. It's just more enjoyable.

MaZa

2[H]4U
My advice would be, ask yourself what type of games do you play the most? If it's mainly Sim games get the Reverb. If it's mainly roomscale games get the Quest 2.

If it' 50/50 get both ;):D Only half joking with this part.

For myself. After getting used to playing games wirelessly with the Quest 2, I can't go back wired gaming. I would take a drop in visual quality to stay wireless. With the update the Link cable is now better visually than using Virtual desktop. But the wire takes me completely out of the game and I am back to using it using Virtual Desktop for PCVR games. It's just more enjoyable.

Well... It really is 50/50. 🤣 I play a lot of games sitting down but I also do stand up games like Blade and Sorcery or anything that requires me to swing a weapon. How is the compression ratio with Link cable these days? Any artifacts?

reaper12

2[H]4U
Well... It really is 50/50. 🤣 I play a lot of games sitting down but I also do stand up games like Blade and Sorcery or anything that requires me to swing a weapon. How is the compression ratio with Link cable these days? Any artifacts?

Ah, haha, time to save up I guess :)

Once you set the bitrate to 250Mbs you really have to go looking for artifacts. They are going to add this to the next update to the Quest 2.

Have you a headset at the moment?

MaZa

2[H]4U
Ah, haha, time to save up I guess :)

Once you set the bitrate to 250Mbs you really have to go looking for artifacts. They are going to add this to the next update to the Quest 2.

Have you a headset at the moment?

Yeah I still have my CV1. Getting really old but still functional.

reaper12

2[H]4U
Yeah I still have my CV1. Getting really old but still functional.

Nothing wrong with the Civ 1 at all. It has held up really well.

And, just want to answer your question. The Quest 2 doesn't come with any free games. But they are doing a deal for Black Friday if you buy a Quest 2 you get Asgard's Wrath free. But you probably have it already. Also, there is a good selection of crossbuy games.

MaZa

2[H]4U
Nothing wrong with the Civ 1 at all. It has held up really well.

And, just want to answer your question. The Quest 2 doesn't come with any free games. But they are doing a deal for Black Friday if you buy a Quest 2 you get Asgard's Wrath free. But you probably have it already. Also, there is a good selection of crossbuy games.

Yup. Already played through it but I do intend on making a second playthrough with a new headset. The ennviroments looked amazing with CV1, I can't even imagine what the game is like with either Q2 or G2.

BassTek

Supreme [H]ardness
I decided to go with the Quest 2 since it's so cheap and is in stock. If for some reason it doesn't cut it as a sim headset I can always use it for casual VR games but I think it will be fine as my first headset.

I used an OG Vive at a friend's place a couple times which was my only VR experience so far. I'm excited to try out ACC and iRacing in VR!