NVIDIA NDA & HardOCP - POLL

HardOCP Signs the NVIDIA NDA for 2080 Launch Access?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted no because I dislike Nvidia as a company. That being said, it's not my money or my site. If you feel the NDA doens't restrict your ability to write an honest review do it! Save that cash. If you do feel it to be a restriction, eff it. I know this community will wait for accurate reviews.

Hear about numbers? Sure, I suppose. Go looking around for reviews? I guess we're just very different people. I'm not buying before Christmas even if I don't skip this generation, and I'm not desperate for news on something I'm not seriously considering buying.

Don't get me wrong, I used to - but that was a long time ago.

Hear about means visit forums and read threads about the 2070/2080 series. Websites will be full of NV news that day. You don't have to be desperate just curious. I doubt we're as different as you think.

Hear about means visit forums and read threads about the 2070/2080 series. Websites will be full of NV news that day. You don't have to be desperate just curious. I doubt we're as different as you think.

I doubt we're all that different, we're both here!

That said, any information I stumble across, will likely be here.

I'm abstaining from voting. I'd like to vote NO on principal, but since I don't have funds to donate on Patreon (hell, I can't even replace my 8 year old computer), I don't feel I have the right to really chime in. Do what you need to do for [H], Kyle. I'll still be coming here for my H&B and Leslie's wonderful posts that often involve hot dogs.

Am I crazy, or could you guys sign the NDA and then, when you do want to post something critical, have a sister site that you just link to instead that has NOT signed the NDA? How could NVIDIA actually prevent you from getting the word out in some fashion? There have to be a ton of loop holes, just gotta find em!

Am I crazy, or could you guys sign the NDA and then, when you do want to post something critical, have a sister site that you just link to instead that has NOT signed the NDA? How could NVIDIA actually prevent you from getting the word out in some fashion? There have to be a ton of loop holes, just gotta find em!
Loopholes don't mean lack of litigation, (un)fortunately...

Yeah because a new site called SoftOCP with a journalist named Byle Kennet reporting Nvidias dumb shit from "anonymous source" is going to fool everyone...

Okay, I know what you mean and I'm just being an ass but the NDA is not tied to a website (that would be just too big loophole), its tied to a person signing it and everyone working under him.

I have no loyalty to any company or website. I purchase strictly on most bang for the buck. The day the NDA is lifted I will be visiting all the websites that have reviews just like everyone else. Including the posters that say they will wait for Kyle's, because quite frankly I don't believe them (human nature and the urge to see them). It will be almost impossible not to hear and learn about the numbers going forward so waiting 7-10 days is senseless. To say there are no other websites you can trust is ridiculous. If their are "gotchyas" they will come out soon enough either way. The NDA sucks and Kyle is in between a rock and a hard place so all I can say is good luck.

I do have loyalty to websites and people who tell the truth, don't dick their customers around and aren't afraid of reporting the truth. I already said I won't be going anywhere else for reviews and that's the truth. My word actually means something, even when I give that word to random people on a forum whom I will never meet. If you don't want to believe me, fine. I'm just glad I don't look at the world through your eyes where you expect everyone to lie to you. Keep in mind that the way you look at the world tends to be heavily colored by your own actions.

I don't really care much about reviews from other sites. Most of them tend to be different people using the exact same canned benchmarks to show performance which isn't what you're going to find while playing the actual game. We've known for years those benchmarks aren't truly indicative of real world performance. That alone tells me I shouldn't give a damn about those reviews since they aren't really reviews in the first place.

I do have loyalty to websites and people who tell the truth, don't dick their customers around and aren't afraid of reporting the truth. I already said I won't be going anywhere else for reviews and that's the truth. My word actually means something, even when I give that word to random people on a forum whom I will never meet. If you don't want to believe me, fine. I'm just glad I don't look at the world through your eyes where you expect everyone to lie to you. Keep in mind that the way you look at the world tends to be heavily colored by your own actions.

I don't really care much about reviews from other sites. Most of them tend to be different people using the exact same canned benchmarks to show performance which isn't what you're going to find while playing the actual game. We've known for years those benchmarks aren't truly indicative of real world performance. That alone tells me I shouldn't give a damn about those reviews since they aren't really reviews in the first place.

If people/websites/companies lie and are dishonest they will eventually be called out. Plenty of hardware review sites that have been around a long time and are trust worthy enough. I don't hold to some personal perceived injustices when it comes to these companies. They are all there to make money and may do things that are questionably ethical. I am not going to spend half my life judging and being mad at everything and everybody just because some company or person I have no ties with did something I didn't like. Especially when it doesn't mean anything or effect me in the slightest. I have better and more personal things to concern myself with. Being some sort of fan boy and picking sides isn't one of them. When you stop trying to be a social justice warrior for every cause, especially on the Internet life becomes much simpler and better. :) I'm doing fine with my own actions, I just happen to be more particular about the battles I fight than some. If you stick to your word then good for you!

Annnnd there it is... Props for at least being honest about it. It's apparent that many of the No votes are just emotional kneejerks, and closet AMD diehards that don't care to consider Kyle's particular dilemma, but just want to throw a wrench in the gears and not see any further engagement with Nvidia - even if it would be net-beneficial to HardOCP.

Kyle's lawyer advised him not to sign it. Please get over yourself in this thread.

Then why is there even a Poll and discussion if his mind's made up?
That would be a better question directed at me, since I am the only one that knows the answer. The poll was put here because my mind was not made up and I wanted the feedback and opinions of the readers we serve.

Edit: Worth mentioning as well, that I have gone against my lawyer's advice in the past as well.

Then why is there even a Poll and discussion if his mind's made up?

Because getting data is good. it's not like Kyle makes assumptions and call people AMD diehards because they voted no. I mean my last two cards have been a 780 and a 980ti and I voted no.

Because getting data is good. it's not like Kyle makes assumptions and call people AMD diehards because they voted no. I mean my last two cards have been a 780 and a 980ti and I voted no.

I voted no because, why risk legal shenanigans which you just know nVidia is likely to pull?

You are secretly an AMD dieharder and only bought those cards because you knew one day there would be a poll. :wacky:

Keep Calm 2.png

Annnnd there it is... Props for at least being honest about it. It's apparent that a good percentage of the no votes are closet AMD diehards that just want to throw a wrench in the gears and not see any further engagement with Nvidia, even if its net-beneficial to HardOCP.

I think they have noted you prefer Nvidia and you want the owner of the site to bend over and take all the risks so you can read the review day 1 of launch here. I read lots of sites and reviews yet this site has always been my go to for a reliable review and information, if I have to wait a few days or weeks then I will be fine with waiting for their review. They were one of the first sites to show that canned benchmarks dont mean much compared to real world use. This is also the only forum I joined and have stayed here all these years, day 1 reviews dont mean much. Having a site that I trust for information is far more important for me and looks like others as well. This site is one of the last ones that actually reports industry news that reflects the gaming side of the industry and I value that far more then a day 1 review of the new card.

Why is this thread making me so grumpy? I keep reading it over again and I don't know why

why are so many voting and where are they all coming from (15 pages in what, 2-3 days)? You know, like you with what, 5 posts ?

I wonder how many nVIDIA employees have come here to vote on this :barefoot:

in a different thread Kyle posted the following. Check it out before casting your vote

NVIDIA Looks to Gag Journalists with Multi-Year Blanket NDAs

Last edited:
why are so many voting and where are they all coming from (15 pages in what, 2-3 days)? You know, like you with what, 5 posts ?

I wonder how many nVIDIA employees have come here to vote on this :barefoot:

in a different thread Kyle posted the following. Check it out before casting your vote

NVIDIA Looks to Gag Journalists with Multi-Year Blanket NDAs
Almost like I posted that myself in the OP. ;)

going to be funny as hell in 5 years when all of a sudden a shitload of sights start hating on Nvidia out of nowhere. bet they dont sign it twice!

Even though my standards of acceptable performance differ from the editors, I have always trusted [H]ard|OCP to give me a no-nonsense enthusiast perspective on hardware. To me, signing the NDA, while saving the website money in review samples may bind the hands of this site on reporting future shenanigans on part of NVIDIA. I say nay until they stop being a bad actor in this manner

I'd rather up my Patreon to make sure this site stays true to the No BS, Tell-It-Like-It-Is format that it always has. So that's what I did. It's now a measily $2 but I figure it's at least another dollar and covering for one stingy bastard that won't even put $1 forward.

I voted no. It is good practice to buy street items anyway, no "golden samples" that way. If it was me, I'd sign it. I'm frugal. But I don't do reviews.

going to be funny as hell in 5 years when all of a sudden a shitload of sights start hating on Nvidia out of nowhere. bet they dont sign it twice!

But that won't matter. For each new product launch they'll likely have to sign another NDA with the same terms making the shitty parts of the NDA perpetual.

i voted no out of principle. however, i feel like my lifetime genmay pass is cheating the system, so take my money on patreon. this is hands down the site i trust and the forum i frequent the most. would be inexcusable not to support it.

As long as signing the NDA doesn't prevent you from making honest observations or revealing non-partisan actions, an improved relationship with nvidia can only help the site.

Isn't this how they do it in Texas?
ezgif-3-77d0b585c2.gif

Seriously though those always seem so broad and "open to interpretation" that their lawyers can make it include your grandmothers fruitcake recipe in court if needed. NV's doesn't seem to be worded any worse than any other I've seen, but then legal speak is above my pay grade. I don't see anything in there that would prevent an honest review though.

If you want to be able to report on the NEXT GPP I say do not sign. Preserve your integrity and give us reviews post launch.

I voted no, but what are those early clicks worth to you? Does Patreon support even begin to prop up the slack when H|OCP isn't sampled at launch?

@all patreon donors, just in case you weren't aware, the first donation doesn't happen until the next month (or at all if you cancel before then). Just thought I'd mention it since it was at around $1300 and it's now closer to $1000/mo, and I have no way of knowing whether those were old donors canceling their contributions or new donors who thought they already contributed something.

I dont see how the NDA keeps you from giving us honest reviews.

why dont you start a one time donation link on the front page well all can give a few bucks and you can get them for free? I'll toss a few bucks for no NDA

Supported on Patreon, and voted No.

Can't vote no IMHO, if you're not willing to put your money where your mouth is.

End of the day, I'm no Legal Expert, but Kyle's "Actual" legal expert didn't think it was a good NDA to sign, and as a general rule, when dealing with laws, listen to lawyers.

Isn't this how they do it in Texas?
View attachment 98781

Seriously though those always seem so broad and "open to interpretation" that their lawyers can make it include your grandmothers fruitcake recipe in court if needed. NV's doesn't seem to be worded any worse than any other I've seen, but then legal speak is above my pay grade. I don't see anything in there that would prevent an honest review though.
that's perfect! and the scene when dude picks it up and tells him to think about it, its like all the yes voters...

Back