• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mortal Kombat (2011)

I prefer playing with a pad at home. I can use a joystick fine when it's attached to a cabinet, but I can't play with one in my lap without jerking it around all over the place or creating a massive apparatus to strap it down to a table.
Unless you're playing Marvel or a game that focuses on lots of button chains I don't think it's an issue.
I'm sure the micro-lag from a wireless controller might affect guys who are at the highest level (Wong, Daigo, etc.) but if you're playing with friends or online there are about 500 million other things affecting you more than that. I'd think that even the slight delay from most HDTV's would probably affect you more.
 
How come? Is it to do with controller lag or is there some wireless-specific exploit?

No exploits, the lag on wireless devices is an issue but it's more of an "if you're stupid enough to use it that's on you" sort of deal. The real issue is that when you cram dozens of PS3s (which is the tournament standard console into an area) it creates a massive cluster fuck if you have tons of wireless devices and are trying to connect them to the proper console. Devices will connect to the wrong consoles, having so many of them, phones, headsets, and the slew of other devices can cause them to drop the console completely, drop inputs, and all sorts of other idiocy. It rapidly turns into a royal pain in the ass.

Plus anybody dumb enough to handicap themselves with a wireless device falls into the type of moron that will loudly complain that they need a do-over due to equipment malfunction. And there is no way to check for this. If a joystick fails it's easy enough to call a ref over and verify that yes your button did jam, or yes your joystick did get stuck in an input. From there you can either open it up and fix it, or just borrow a working one from someone else.

So aside from it being a rather stupid idea to use one for your own good, it just opens up the potential for way too many issues. Watch what happens when two people are having a match with sticks and the wireless controller connects to the wrong console and the dolt that's using it starts mashing buttons.

It's simpler just to ban them. However if you want to use your PS3 controller and connect it wired, nobody will stop you. But you better make sure to keep it off at all times after your match, because if you screw something up you'll get kicked out of the event, and possibly put on a local tournament ban list for being a jackass.
 
I prefer playing with a pad at home. I can use a joystick fine when it's attached to a cabinet, but I can't play with one in my lap without jerking it around all over the place or creating a massive apparatus to strap it down to a table.
Unless you're playing Marvel or a game that focuses on lots of button chains I don't think it's an issue.
I'm sure the micro-lag from a wireless controller might affect guys who are at the highest level (Wong, Daigo, etc.) but if you're playing with friends or online there are about 500 million other things affecting you more than that. I'd think that even the slight delay from most HDTV's would probably affect you more.

I agree completely. In a real arcade cabinet bring on the joystick. At home the game pad suits me just fine.
 
I agree completely. In a real arcade cabinet bring on the joystick. At home the game pad suits me just fine.

I've got a couple cabs at home and I use sticks for the consoles. The key is to get some weight in them and plant those suckers on the floor, solves the jerking around issue. I sit on the floor while playing fighters, never had a movement issue.
 
I've got a couple cabs at home and I use sticks for the consoles. The key is to get some weight in them and plant those suckers on the floor, solves the jerking around issue. I sit on the floor while playing fighters, never had a movement issue.

My back can't handle that. I have to sit in a chair with good lumbar support if I am going to sit there for any length of time.
 
No exploits, the lag on wireless devices is an issue but it's more of an "if you're stupid enough to use it that's on you" sort of deal. The real issue is that when you cram dozens of PS3s (which is the tournament standard console into an area) it creates a massive cluster fuck if you have tons of wireless devices and are trying to connect them to the proper console. Devices will connect to the wrong consoles, having so many of them, phones, headsets, and the slew of other devices can cause them to drop the console completely, drop inputs, and all sorts of other idiocy. It rapidly turns into a royal pain in the ass.

Plus anybody dumb enough to handicap themselves with a wireless device falls into the type of moron that will loudly complain that they need a do-over due to equipment malfunction. And there is no way to check for this. If a joystick fails it's easy enough to call a ref over and verify that yes your button did jam, or yes your joystick did get stuck in an input. From there you can either open it up and fix it, or just borrow a working one from someone else.

So aside from it being a rather stupid idea to use one for your own good, it just opens up the potential for way too many issues. Watch what happens when two people are having a match with sticks and the wireless controller connects to the wrong console and the dolt that's using it starts mashing buttons.

It's simpler just to ban them. However if you want to use your PS3 controller and connect it wired, nobody will stop you. But you better make sure to keep it off at all times after your match, because if you screw something up you'll get kicked out of the event, and possibly put on a local tournament ban list for being a jackass.

Ahh, well that makes sense.
 
My back can't handle that. I have to sit in a chair with good lumbar support if I am going to sit there for any length of time.

Maybe one of these is what you need... http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-3py1.html

I personally use modded TE joysticks, replaced the panels with acrylic ones with my name etched in them, makes them easier to track down if they "wander" at events, and went with some limited edition sanwa balltops, and added some weights into them.

I play on my couch 1/2 laying down most of the time :p

Bean bags when not playing fighters, floor when playing them.
 
Maybe one of these is what you need... http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-3py1.html

I personally use modded TE joysticks, replaced the panels with acrylic ones with my name etched in them, makes them easier to track down if they "wander" at events, and went with some limited edition sanwa balltops, and added some weights into them.



Bean bags when not playing fighters, floor when playing them.

I'd need one for the XBOX 360 and even then the price is a bit steep. Though I do like my fighting games. Perhaps one day I'll bite the bullet and grab one of those or something similar.
 
I prefer playing with a pad at home. I can use a joystick fine when it's attached to a cabinet, but I can't play with one in my lap without jerking it around all over the place or creating a massive apparatus to strap it down to a table.
Unless you're playing Marvel or a game that focuses on lots of button chains I don't think it's an issue.

Add me to the 110% agree camp. When your stood up with the weight of the cab taking the brunt of the joystick movements is fine, sat with a huge ass joystick on your lap just isn't the same....IMO it's uncomfortable and your (read my) arms are just positioned wrong, plus I can't see the stick being stable at all, no matter how many weights you put in it. I can wobble my cab in particular bitch ass games of SF4/KI2 and it's heavy.......

Pad all the way when playing on the console flaked on a sofa for me.
 
Add me to the 110% agree camp. When your stood up with the weight of the cab taking the brunt of the joystick movements is fine, sat with a huge ass joystick on your lap just isn't the same....IMO it's uncomfortable and your (read my) arms are just positioned wrong, plus I can't see the stick being stable at all, no matter how many weights you put in it. I can wobble my cab in particular bitch ass games of SF4/KI2 and it's heavy.......

Pad all the way when playing on the console flaked on a sofa for me.
http://www.kraylixarcade.com/

Maybe that is what you want ;)

Or you could just buy two viewlix arcades at 3k a pop, and two super street fighter kits at 6k a pop and go that route, I know people that have done it.
 
Pretty admirable stuff, but I think I'm far too casual for anything like that, especially with how few fighters I still play.
Something like that might be really cool for someone that runs an arcade or gameroom where people can come play, though. I really wish D&B would have something like that.
 
Pretty admirable stuff, but I think I'm far too casual for anything like that, especially with how few fighters I still play.
Something like that might be really cool for someone that runs an arcade or gameroom where people can come play, though. I really wish D&B would have something like that.

D&B could always buy commercial machines. But they don't, they cater to the older "must be 3d" crowd that demands simulators and driving games, they are part of the problem.

I can't find a single fighter at the D&B in the DC area, unless you count the all in one that happens to have hyper fighter on it, which is bogus. I have cabs, and I know a ton of people that have a lot in the area though, one has 13.
 
Our two in Denver have Tekken 4 and (I think) Street Fighter Alpha 3 along with one of the Marvel games.
My local mall arcade (an ancient "Tilt") actually has a freakish amount of fighting games including Tekken 3, 4, and 5, Alpha 2 and 3, Super Turbo, and 3rd Strike...but the place is pretty much empty 99% of the time. There apparently used to be a pretty big scene out this way in the Tekken days, but the arcade has a price tag on all of the cabinets now and I'd suspect their days are numbered.
I think my interest has waned a bit, too. I don't care for Tekken 6 at all, the new MK is pretty weak, and I hate Marvel. I like to hop in and play HD Remix and SF4 and that's about it...although I am intrigued by the SF/Tekken cross-over games.
 
http://www.kraylixarcade.com/

Maybe that is what you want ;)

Or you could just buy two viewlix arcades at 3k a pop, and two super street fighter kits at 6k a pop and go that route, I know people that have done it.

I'll stick to my own :D.....they do look nice tho.



Which is what I was saying earlier, I can only play with sticks when using a/my cab. Might have a look at hooking a PS3 upto the monitor......that could be fun.
 
Mm. I was about to pre order the TE until I saw the $250 price tag. I may just have to get the KE and settle for a used ssf4 pad. I walked in to best buy all happy and then put on a sad face when they told me the price tag for the TE, I thought it was going to be $150 max... Boy was I in for a treat.

I may have to wait it out until bb puts it on sale as they do all of their CEs that don't sell. :p
 
Last edited:
Llama[Style];1037096614 said:
Mm. I was about to pre order the TE until I saw the $250 price tag. I may just have to get the KE and settle for a used ssf4 pad. I walked in to best buy all happy and then put on a sad face when they told me the price tag for the TE, I thought it was going to be $150 max... Boy was I in for a treat.

I may have to wait it out until bb puts it on sale as they do all of their CEs that don't sell. :p

Something is off, a TE is 150 bucks retail, can usually be found for less. It's all Sanwa and that's what you want.

A Hori SA (all Sanwa) or SE (all Seimetsu) is about 140, also works.

Only the full out Hori VLX cracks the 200 mark, and there are reasons why it's over 300 bucks, but it's not needed by most.

Unless it's a limited run TE, which are stupid (button colour changed) the retail is 150 and they are always on sale. Hell arcade shock is selling the VLX sticks for 300, that's 80 bucks off, and the VX for 120.

http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/ho...e-pro-v3-sa-for-pc-ps3-hrapv3saps3-detail.htm

Something is wrong, a TE is 150 MSRP, you shouldn't pay more unless it's a custom deal.
 
Something is off, a TE is 150 bucks retail, can usually be found for less. It's all Sanwa and that's what you want.

A Hori SA (all Sanwa) or SE (all Seimetsu) is about 140, also works.

Only the full out Hori VLX cracks the 200 mark, and there are reasons why it's over 300 bucks, but it's not needed by most.

Unless it's a limited run TE, which are stupid (button colour changed) the retail is 150 and they are always on sale. Hell arcade shock is selling the VLX sticks for 300, that's 80 bucks off, and the VX for 120.

http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/ho...e-pro-v3-sa-for-pc-ps3-hrapv3saps3-detail.htm

Something is wrong, a TE is 150 MSRP, you shouldn't pay more unless it's a custom deal.

that's what I thought!! Maybe I'm not crazy after all.

Blah, on their website it is $150, suppose I could've checked that first before posting here. Looks like I'm back in for one. Happy face back on.. Amazing price for game+quality fight stick. Perhaps the CSR was being a lazy dick and just threw out a random price tag. This is why I try to avoid bb. Will be going to gamestop instead.

Thanks again for the reassurance
 
i actually like the arcade stick. But the button layout seems so specific i dont know if its usable for another fighting game.
 
If this is suppose to take place around the time of the first game, then how can the original Sub-Zero and Noob Saibot be in it? WTF
He just takes turns in what costume he wears.

How can both players be playing as Johnny Cage :confused:
 
Llama[Style];1037096683 said:
that's what I thought!! Maybe I'm not crazy after all.

Blah, on their website it is $150, suppose I could've checked that first before posting here. Looks like I'm back in for one. Happy face back on.. Amazing price for game+quality fight stick. Perhaps the CSR was being a lazy dick and just threw out a random price tag. This is why I try to avoid bb. Will be going to gamestop instead.

Thanks again for the reassurance

BB are a bunch of jackasses. The TEs are all "limited runs" supposedly, but in reality there are so many different versions and other stuff that MarkMan (who runs madcatz mostly) is frequently having buy one get one free sales advertised all over fighting game forums.

There are 3 different "standard" TE sticks, round 1, round 2, and super street fighter 4. Then there is also a blaze blue one, MVC2 one, MVC3 one, chun li one, EVO one, comiccon one, and femme fatale one.... so limited runs my ass! They are all retail 150, so if you are paying more it better be because you want a specific one, even though the only difference is the art and button colors.

Furthermore, the hori SA, VX, SE, all retail for the same 150, and all use authentic parts as well.

You can also just build one for about the same price. Some stores still price gouge because when the sticks first came out, it was impossible to find one. So they were going for 500 on the second hand market.

i actually like the arcade stick. But the button layout seems so specific i dont know if its usable for another fighting game.

For the TEs they sell swapable face plates. There are 4 layouts, Viewlix (standard TE), MK, Sega, or classic American. It's personal preference. This guy sells plexi replacement tops for all the major sticks http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/ I bought my tops from him, it's quality work.
 
mk9final_roster_valcan_s.jpg
 
Where does kratos go?

When I saw this before it had 2 DLC slots either side at the bottom, so I'm guessing it open a sub menu (like in soul caliber)...which would mean he was in there.
 
Where does kratos go?

When I saw this before it had 2 DLC slots either side at the bottom, so I'm guessing it open a sub menu (like in soul caliber)...which would mean he was in there.

He'll probably be off to the side/top/bottom like Akuma in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

I still think Smoke looks daft with that hair......
 
If this is suppose to take place around the time of the first game, then how can the original Sub-Zero and Noob Saibot be in it? WTF

Kinda interesting since the original Sub Zero is Noob Saibot. I'm sure the Sub Zero in this is probably the younger brother (see MK3) and Noob is the MK1 "older brother". Anyways, it's only 1 week away and I haven't been this pumped for a game since Uncharted 2. I've been a long time MK devotee and this seriously has me thinking of those days in the arcade pumping quarters into MKII. Mortal Kombat gets a bad rap for not being "combo" friendly, but I've seen videos and played otherwise. The skill level can be just as high as "competitive" fighters and MK9 is no exception. I cannot wait!

Also to OP, please place a *SPOILER* tag in the header since someone has posted the full character select screen. TIA!
 
Last edited:
Kinda interesting since the original Sub Zero is Noob Saibot. I'm sure the Sub Zero in this is probably the younger brother (see MK3) and Noob is the MK1 "older brother". Anyways, it's only 1 week away and I haven't been this pumped for a game since Uncharted 2. I've been a long time MK devotee and this seriously has me thinking of those days in the arcade pumping quarters into MKII. Mortal Kombat gets a bad rap for not being "combo" friendly, but I've seen videos and played otherwise. The skill level can be just as high as "competitive" fighters and MK9 is no exception. I cannot wait!

Also to OP, please place a *SPOILER* tag in the header since someone has posted the full character select screen. TIA!

Someone pointed out to me earlier that this game is more like MK Trilogy including aspects from the first 4 games (I don't know how serious you can take the story in 4, but the characters are there). Thus Cyber Smoke and an alternative future Cyber Sub Zero which would be the younger brother since that was what caused him to turn on the Lin Kuei because that is what they planned to turn him into and hence the assassins where send after him.
 
Doesn't this game take place in an alternate dimention?

The story retells the events of the original trilogy, in an alternate timeline where Raiden receives a message from himself in the prime future where Armageddon has happened and Shao Kahn became the supreme leader of all the realms. Because of this plot, characters and scenarios present are the classic ones, bringing the old back to new and starting a new conflict.


Smoke looks like frost's grandfather.
 
I didn't even know this game existed until today, and now I find out it's coming out in a week or so. Awesome. :cool:

Looks great, a good throwback to UMK3.
 
I didn't even know this game existed until today, and now I find out it's coming out in a week or so. Awesome. :cool:

Looks great, a good throwback to UMK3.

I'm seeing more similarities to Mortal Kombat II which was easily the best game in the series up to this point. Ultimate MK3 was good, but many of the maps and many of the characters were just too lame. The game seemed to lack the polish of the second one.
 
I'm seeing more similarities to Mortal Kombat II which was easily the best game in the series up to this point.

This, it plays nothing like UMK3 too, that was learn-a-combo-string and see who could get the first hit in, this can be played like MK2 with no need for ridiculous combo's if you don't wanna use them.
 
My experience so far with the demo leads me to conclude that it's a hybrid of MK2 & MK3. Combo's with key combinations, but also old school manual combo's like in MK2.

One thing I do like is the dark atmosphere that seems present here. Every iteration of MK has missed it since MK2.

And obviously, thank god for 2D.
 
I hope mortaro comes as DLC at some point. Need more teleporting centaur characters. Also make him playable :D (maybe not in vs as he would be overpowered, maybe mortaro rampage mode...)
 
I hope mortaro comes as DLC at some point.

That's the one thing I thing would complete the game too, Imagine facing Shang Tsung>Goro>Kintaro>Motaro>Shao Khan....now that's a boss sequence!!

All the bosses need x-rays and fatalities too.....
 
/facepalm

Its because people keep buying the shit that they keep pumping out incomplete games and making you buy the rest piece by piece.

I don't think adding/wanting one boss character could be likened to the likes of Capcom with MvC3....now that is ridiculous. Who else could they add to MK? It'll be costumes and/or fatalities which most will live without.
 
Boon said DLC was a "top priority" months before MK's launch, so it's pretty much guaranteed some content would have been cut Mafia II-style. All the carry-on with "you get an extra costume and fatality for Subzero if you get the game here, or for Scorpion if you get it there" is an early indicator of the nickel-and-diming that will be to come.

Yes, makes me feel even better that my country is protecting me from myself and evil videogames by not allowing me to buy, play or watch Mortal Kombat 2011. Still, the core game has a good amount of content, unlike Mafia II.
 
played the demo and was impressed by it. more than street fighter 4.

tempted to buy the tournament edition and add the joystick to my collection
 
Back
Top