• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mortal Kombat (2011)

That's the one thing I thing would complete the game too, Imagine facing Shang Tsung>Goro>Kintaro>Motaro>Shao Khan....now that's a boss sequence!!

All the bosses need x-rays and fatalities too.....

I wish Goro/Kintaro/Shao Khan were playable :D (they weren't in one of the early MKs too, but could be made so by using one of those genie cheat cartridge things, ma friend did this)

Apparently;

Reportedly, Motaro's Centaur body structure was the main problem, as the MK team would need much more extensive programming and testing to successfully integrate Motaro's Centaur frame into interacting properly with knock-downs, throws, and fatalities and death traps that required limbs to be torn or cut off or Motaro to be impaled. They did admit, however, that such a feat would be possible in later games, hinting at the possibility of Motaro returning in his normal Centaur form.

It just needs to happen! Centaurs are supposed to make up lots of shao khans people, yet there isn't 1 included in the game! This needs to happen!

/facepalm

Its because people keep buying the shit that they keep pumping out incomplete games and making you buy the rest piece by piece.

Its because people keep buying stupid crap that they pump out at inflated prices that companies keep pumping out stupid crap at inflated prices. I am against the locking of content on disks and paying for unlocks, but stuff like adding a few characters after the games release, or game modes (when reasonably priced not $5 like MvC3) I don't mind paying for as they add longevity to my purchases. Especially as there has been no word of mortaro so it's unlikely he wold be contained within :p It doesn't sound like the game is incomplete, and there is a chance it might be free.
I people pay for quality content at decent prices I don't see the harm. If people pay $19 for 3 maps then I might.
 
/facepalm

Its because people keep buying the shit that they keep pumping out incomplete games and making you buy the rest piece by piece.

Not really. In the past fighting game companies simply released a new game and called it a day. You bought the whole damn thing over again, at anywhere from 60-80 bucks, now adjust that for inflation today and see what it would cost you.

Some were bigger offenders than others.

The most aggregious offenders from Capcom were the Alpha series where they'd balance tweak it, call it "gold" and sell it again.

In the case of Mortal Kombat there were no less than three versions of MK3, all of which had to be bought individually.

If DLC will let companies tweak, polish, and add content to a game I have nothing against that. It makes more logical sense than making people buy a disk all over again each time. I don't really miss the days of them packaging the same game up again yearly.
 
Not really. In the past fighting game companies simply released a new game and called it a day. You bought the whole damn thing over again, at anywhere from 60-80 bucks, now adjust that for inflation today and see what it would cost you.

Some were bigger offenders than others.

The most aggregious offenders from Capcom were the Alpha series where they'd balance tweak it, call it "gold" and sell it again.

In the case of Mortal Kombat there were no less than three versions of MK3, all of which had to be bought individually.

If DLC will let companies tweak, polish, and add content to a game I have nothing against that. It makes more logical sense than making people buy a disk all over again each time. I don't really miss the days of them packaging the same game up again yearly.

That's a good way of looking at it. Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter IV are a great example of what you are talking about.
 
Last edited:
Mortal Kombat Kollector's Edition pre-ordered? Check!
Prima Mortal Kombat Hardcover Kollector's Game Guide pre-ordered? Check!
Release date delivery? Check!
 
Preordered... I really hope it will be without that crap like Friendship or Babality. Though, seeing Kung Lao throwing the hat to finish opponent and then hearing in distance the meow of a cat was great :)

Oh, anyone knows if Sheeva will be playable? She was my favourite MK3 toon :)
 
Preordered... I really hope it will be without that crap like Friendship or Babality. Though, seeing Kung Lao throwing the hat to finish opponent and then hearing in distance the meow of a cat was great :)

Oh, anyone knows if Sheeva will be playable? She was my favourite MK3 toon :)

Don't see the problem myself, you don't like 'em then don't do 'em and yeah Sheeva is playable.
 
On a related note, looks like the Street Fighter vs. Tekken roster is fleshing out a bit. King, Marduk, and Bob are confirmed for Tekken while Guile, Ken, and Abel were confirmed from SF.
There's a little bit of footage here: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/12/s...ken-brawlers-confirmed-two-new-tra/#continued
While I'm a little excited about the idea, the game looks to be Marvel-ish with all of the chains and needless multi-hits. Dare I say it, but if the final is like that I might be more excited for Namco's version.
 
I wish Goro/Kintaro/Shao Khan were playable :D (they weren't in one of the early MKs too, but could be made so by using one of those genie cheat cartridge things, ma friend did this)

Apparently;



It just needs to happen! Centaurs are supposed to make up lots of shao khans people, yet there isn't 1 included in the game! This needs to happen!



Its because people keep buying stupid crap that they pump out at inflated prices that companies keep pumping out stupid crap at inflated prices. I am against the locking of content on disks and paying for unlocks, but stuff like adding a few characters after the games release, or game modes (when reasonably priced not $5 like MvC3) I don't mind paying for as they add longevity to my purchases. Especially as there has been no word of mortaro so it's unlikely he wold be contained within :p It doesn't sound like the game is incomplete, and there is a chance it might be free.
I people pay for quality content at decent prices I don't see the harm. If people pay $19 for 3 maps then I might.

I disagree with the first part. I don't mind if Kintaro, Motaro or Shao Khan aren't playable. Each of those characters was simply cheap and overpowered just to give the player a challenge at the end of the game. I've also always hated the fact that the centaurs took up so much of the screen. It's understandable but annoying. In playable form they've always seemed like awkward "after the fact" type of implementations. If as much time was taken on their development as other characters than I might change my mind, but historically I've always hated Shao Khan and the 'aro's.
 
I disagree with the first part. I don't mind if Kintaro, Motaro or Shao Khan aren't playable. Each of those characters was simply cheap and overpowered just to give the player a challenge at the end of the game. I've also always hated the fact that the centaurs took up so much of the screen. It's understandable but annoying. In playable form they've always seemed like awkward "after the fact" type of implementations. If as much time was taken on their development as other characters than I might change my mind, but historically I've always hated Shao Khan and the 'aro's.

Ehh they weren't hard, nothing like SNK bosses which were always absurd. Plus from a PVP standpoint, they sucked.

The most broken characters have remained noob saibot, kung lao, with a splattering of smoke and ermac.
 
Ehh they weren't hard, nothing like SNK bosses which were always absurd. Plus from a PVP standpoint, they sucked.

The most broken characters have remained noob saibot, kung lao, with a splattering of smoke and ermac.

Honestly I haven't been that devout an MK player since Ultimate MK3. I've played a handful of the newer games but found them to be less than memorable. Noob Saibot, Kung Lao, Smoke and Ermac weren't characters I played all that much. I probably used Smoke the most out of the three but for the most part I'm a Sub-Zero, Scorpion or Reptile player. I occasionally use Raiden or someone else, but not too much. I'm fairly good with Kitana and Mileena in most of the MK games and use them from time to time. I can probably count on one hand all the times I've played with Noob Saibot or Ermac.
 
On a related note, looks like the Street Fighter vs. Tekken roster is fleshing out a bit. King, Marduk, and Bob are confirmed for Tekken while Guile, Ken, and Abel were confirmed from SF.
There's a little bit of footage here: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/12/s...ken-brawlers-confirmed-two-new-tra/#continued
While I'm a little excited about the idea, the game looks to be Marvel-ish with all of the chains and needless multi-hits. Dare I say it, but if the final is like that I might be more excited for Namco's version.

Looking good. I was never a huge fan of Tekken really, but I'm a huge Street Fighter fan. I'll almost certainly be getting this game when it releases.
 
I disagree with the first part. I don't mind if Kintaro, Motaro or Shao Khan aren't playable. Each of those characters was simply cheap and overpowered just to give the player a challenge at the end of the game. I've also always hated the fact that the centaurs took up so much of the screen. It's understandable but annoying. In playable form they've always seemed like awkward "after the fact" type of implementations. If as much time was taken on their development as other characters than I might change my mind, but historically I've always hated Shao Khan and the 'aro's.


I agree with the idea of NOT being able to play certain characters. I actually enjoyed the days when certain characters were either A) only bosses, or B) only playable with certain code selects (Cyber Smoke in MK3). For me, I relish in the fact that there is something I can't have and it builds the importance and the "myth" if you will of that character. Sometimes it's good to have just a slice of cake - not the entire thing.
 
Honestly I haven't been that devout an MK player since Ultimate MK3. I've played a handful of the newer games but found them to be less than memorable. Noob Saibot, Kung Lao, Smoke and Ermac weren't characters I played all that much. I probably used Smoke the most out of the three but for the most part I'm a Sub-Zero, Scorpion or Reptile player. I occasionally use Raiden or someone else, but not too much. I'm fairly good with Kitana and Mileena in most of the MK games and use them from time to time. I can probably count on one hand all the times I've played with Noob Saibot or Ermac.

Noob Saibot was pretty much created with the point of just making a completely bullshit character that would destroy anybody, so it's no shock he was outrageously broken as hell and put in MK Trilogy because "why not". Rain was pretty bad as well ditto with Ermac.

I agree with the idea of NOT being able to play certain characters. I actually enjoyed the days when certain characters were either A) only bosses, or B) only playable with certain code selects (Cyber Smoke in MK3). For me, I relish in the fact that there is something I can't have and it builds the importance and the "myth" if you will of that character. Sometimes it's good to have just a slice of cake - not the entire thing.

And they've kinda always done that. In MK1 you couldn't play as the bosses, and Reptile was hidden, Reptile crushed everybody. Then in MK2 you could play as Reptile but there was Human Smoke that crushed everybody. Then in UMK3 there was old Sub-Zero (kinda sucked but he always had) Human Smoke (hidden), Ermac, et.

They frequently hide characters.
 
Looking good. I was never a huge fan of Tekken really, but I'm a huge Street Fighter fan. I'll almost certainly be getting this game when it releases.

I always loved Tekken myself, but not so much Street Fighter. Most likely since I didn't play it much so I don't have a good handle of the mechanics as I should particular to it.

I have been keeping up with most the MK titles throughout the years though, definately picking this up once it comes out! Glad its back to the basics and core of the originals as opposed to some of the sillyness they had going on after a while!
 
Then in UMK3 there was old Sub-Zero (kinda sucked but he always had)

Can't agree with that, I still regularly tonk ppl with Sub Zero in MK 1 & 2, I guess it would depend on who your playing but he is no walk over in the right hands.
 
In MK1 the key to winning was using anyone that had a short-hop jump punch. Based on memory, that included Cage, Kano, & Raiden. Each of them could rapid juggle punch their opponent to death anywhere near the edge of the screen.

In MK2 some of those combos from Kitana and Kung Lao were absolutely nuts.
Part of the big problem with MK is that most of the big combos start with an anti-air attack, so the game became a total mess of players who were afraid to jump as a result.
 
Can't agree with that, I still regularly tonk ppl with Sub Zero in MK 1 & 2, I guess it would depend on who your playing but he is no walk over in the right hands.

Tiers are not the end all be all of fighting games and they tend to only really apply at the upper levels of gameplay.

If you look at SSF4 Makoto is low tier while Ken is a solid middle. However a good Makoto will beat a bad Ken simply by skill, even though the odds are 6-4 in Kens favor if both players are high level. And a good Makoto can often roll matches that are stacked against her simply because very few people play her, and thus very few people know the match up properly. So they tend to fall apart or don't know what to do in specific situations. None the less, Ken is a solid character with a 177 rating (the highest is 193) and Makoto is a pathetic 131 with most matches 7-3 or 6-4 against her.

In MK1 the bottom tier was Scorpion and Subzero, in MK 2 the bottom tier was Subzero, Reptile, Raiden, in UMK3 Subzero (both versions) were in the second lowest tier, though unmasked (new) subzero is the better version.

However, Subzero and Scorpion, despite comming consistently low, or barely middle of the road in each iteration are extremely easy to use. You can get the best out of them easily and there is nothing complicated you need to worry about. By contrast, Human Smoke, even though he seems the same as Scorpion is a much higher tier because of pop up combos and other nonsense, he can just slaughter people. But you probably want won't run into anybody who can do that. And Ermac is godly, because overly complex to use so unless you are an expert, it's not going to help.
 
I always owned with Sub-Zero. Strategy and skill go a long way. That, and I think having interest in a character will keep you focused and assist in using them advantageously.
 
I always owned with Sub-Zero. Strategy and skill go a long way. That, and I think having interest in a character will keep you focused and assist in using them advantageously.

Strategy go a long way, but cheapness is priceless. I also own with Sub-Zero and the beatings just got worse with each version, but I don't credit skill rather cheapness (Ice Ball, Ice Rain, Ice Clone and Sliding Sweep). Scorpi is also pretty cheap, just in the nature of the simplicity of the characters. Back, back, low punch; down, back, high punch; even the fatality was super simple, hold block, up, up.
 
I always owned with Sub-Zero. Strategy and skill go a long way. That, and I think having interest in a character will keep you focused and assist in using them advantageously.

They do to an extent, but once you clear a certain skill hurdle than things start to change. Scorpion vs Human Smoke in UMK3 is the best example, their move sets are identical. Their "dial a combo" moves are different, Scorpions is easier to do which gives him a better rush down and makes it less likely he will drop a basic combo, his damage output is also better.

However, once you get above being good at the game, and star to get great, Scorpion is complete ass and shouldn't be picked, and Smoke is nearly a demi god. He can re-pop people into the air for some combos, and his more complex juggles do 50-82% damage and can be started from the air or ground. If both players are top notch, the Scorpion is going to get boddied hard almost everytime, it's just sick how much Smoke can do.

And that's all tiers really mean "if the best X played the best Y who wins". It doesn't apply at all to "if a medicore X plays a medicore Y who wins", because there is no point in that. The best Smoke slaughters the best Scorpion, it's a simple matter of Smoke has to connect any two hits, on offense or defense, and he's won. Scorpion is looking at 4 or more connections to do that with the combos he has.

And that's just applied to two characters that are in many ways identical, but that difference and one other are why Smoke is top tier and Scorpion is not, Smoke also has an easier time with the rest of the cast.

For other chracters, Ermac is the largest offender here, they are godly if you are good with him, Ermac is the third best in UMK3 and face rapes most matches, he's also insanely hard to use. So if you pit two mid level players against each other, one with Ermac and the other with character X, well if the character X beats the Ermac that doesn't mean squat other than the guy is using a character he can't fully master. But a top level player using Ermac is going to beat all but 5 of the cast for free, and two of those he has an edge on.

Strat and skill go a long way, but that doesn't change the fact that some characters have a better defense, better offense and more options to land larger and far more damaging combos in more situations. Even if they take more skill to use.
 
I'm pretty excited about this. I remember playing MK as a kid at the neighbors and at the arcade at a pizza place. I recently bought MK vs. DC and had a blast with my girl. She just told me about MK being released soon, and I'm gonna be buying it next week.
 
I call foul. Theres going to be a one time use code with the game. You must use the code to play online, which is going to be almost 100% of the game imo. Shame...
http://shoryuken.com/content/mortal-kombat-9-copyright-power-clever-lawyers-4165/

Whilst I totally agree it's a sham it isn't new. Look in EA's direction and see how many games they've already done this for. I got shafted buying a used copy of Most Wanted for the 360, thankfully saw a decent deal for the new version on PS3 so made the jump. Fifa'11 was the same so I'm guessing all the '11 range of sports titles will be too and all future titles will continue the trend.

I suspect everyone here looking forward to the game will be buying it new too so won't affect us....it'll be those that fancy a dabble at a latter stage.
 
I know that both NFS: MW and the 2nd UFC game required a code like that to play online...and if you didn't enter it the games nag the hell out of you.
Hopefully MK won't follow suit.
 
Im waiting to see if this activation code is real... if so im might not buy it.
 
I call foul. Theres going to be a one time use code with the game. You must use the code to play online, which is going to be almost 100% of the game imo. Shame...
http://shoryuken.com/content/mortal-kombat-9-copyright-power-clever-lawyers-4165/

actually I think it makes perfect sense. That one time code means there going to still make a few bucks off of those who would typically just pirate if they want to play the game. If they were charging the cost of the game for a code then it would be bogus, but 10 bucks inst bad. It will also allow them to track how many people are playing online compared to how many copies have been sold.
 
Totally awesome, just read through the thread and saw there was a demo. Downloaded and played. Can't wait.
 
I call foul. Theres going to be a one time use code with the game. You must use the code to play online, which is going to be almost 100% of the game imo. Shame...
http://shoryuken.com/content/mortal-kombat-9-copyright-power-clever-lawyers-4165/

This is going to happen to a lot of games soon. Again, see rising cost of game development. Plus, this is America (for most people) corporations rule and consumers drool, conservative market economics are king. They aren't getting any a cash from a second hand sale, and business is the most important thing, so this is a way for them to make their cash.
 
Im waiting to see if this activation code is real... if so im might not buy it.

Why? If this happens then it only affects those that purchase second hand, you buy new you get the code as part of the original cost.
 
That Kratos fatality isn't particularly great. I expected better.

And this "activation code" isn't new to gaming; EA has both been doing it for at least a year now.

Check out Noob Saibot's fatality...it has to be the biggest reason why MK got perma-banned in Australia.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top