Mortal Kombat (2011)

Im going to buy this game. Fatalities are sickening and I love it. Check out Kung Laos Fatalities.

uhhh, yeah I guess a fighting game stuck in the year 2000 is good...

the only unique thing there is xray mode, and that's just a gruesome EX combo anyway. Even the dude said it, 'yeah there's a punch button and a kick button...oh and throw"

it looks better than any mortal kombat since they went 3d, but that's not saying much considering there's a shitload better 2d fighters on the market currently. i think too little, too late.

It looks like they've gone back to their roots. The graphics look great and going back to a 2D fighting style like Street Fighter did was certainly the right move.

uhhh, yeah I guess a fighting game stuck in the year 2000 is good...

Indeed it is. They tried to improve fighting games with 3D mechanics and all the fighting games done that way sucked ass. So this is clearly one case where improved technology didn't equate to improved gameplay. In fact it detracted from it. It lead to three dimensional, slow and clunky combat rather than the simple and fast paced combat of previous games.

the only unique thing there is xray mode, and that's just a gruesome EX combo anyway. Even the dude said it, 'yeah there's a punch button and a kick button...oh and throw"

Well the fatalities and the level of gore are what set Mortal Kombat apart from everything else. As for the comments on the controls, well Ed Boon just wasn't very eloquent in his reponse, but the fact is that it was a dumb question. Controls are controls. The game has them. What more do you need to know?

it looks better than any mortal kombat since they went 3d, but that's not saying much considering there's a shitload better 2d fighters on the market currently. i think too little, too late.

It looks better than all the Mortal Kombat games made to date. Go back and look at even more recent MK games such as Deadly Alliance or MK vs. DC and you'll see they don't look nearly as good as this game does. And what other 2D fighters are there? You have Street Fighter IV which is awesome, but what else is there that's remotely that good? Too little, too late? Hardly. Its never too late for a good installment of the Mortal Kombat series. All the MK games after Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and Mortal Kombat Trilogy sucked. They fixed the cause of that in this game and its too little too late? How so? It almost seems like you are so offended by the previous bad installments that they can't do enough in order to do right by you. Your comments just make very little sense to me.

oh thank god they went back to the classic 2D style fighting.. that x-ray stuff is bad ass..

Last edited:
I hope the camera doesn't move around like that during the game, it would be more "cinematic" but its kind of distracting. Theyve done what SF did with IV 2.5d. Wheres mortaro?

I hope the camera doesn't move around like that during the game, it would be more "cinematic" but its kind of distracting. Theyve done what SF did with IV 2.5d. Wheres mortaro?

They could leave Motaro out of the game for all I care. I never did like that character.

Indeed it is. They tried to improve fighting games with 3D mechanics and all the fighting games done that way sucked ass. So this is clearly one case where improved technology didn't equate to improved gameplay. In fact it detracted from it. It lead to three dimensional, slow and clunky combat rather than the simple and fast paced combat of previous games.

Well the fatalities and the level of gore are what set Mortal Kombat apart from everything else. As for the comments on the controls, well Ed Boon just wasn't very eloquent in his reponse, but the fact is that it was a dumb question. Controls are controls. The game has them. What more do you need to know?

It looks better than all the Mortal Kombat games made to date. Go back and look at even more recent MK games such as Deadly Alliance or MK vs. DC and you'll see they don't look nearly as good as this game does. And what other 2D fighters are there? You have Street Fighter IV which is awesome, but what else is there that's remotely that good? Too little, too late? Hardly. Its never too late for a good installment of the Mortal Kombat series. All the MK games after Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and Mortal Kombat Trilogy sucked. They fixed the cause of that in this game and its too little too late? How so? It almost seems like you are so offended by the previous bad installments that they can't do enough in order to do right by you. Your comments just make very little sense to me.

agreed.. i think this is perfect timing for this game.. especially for those of us in our mid to late 20's and even older that played MK back in the day when it was actually a good game.. hell i remember wasting 10+ dollars in quarters at the arcades playing MK.. cant wait to play this game again.. guess that means i need to buy a new 360.. oh well guess thats my luck.. havent released a game worth a damn on 360 in almost 6 months.. i sell it and now MK release gets announced..

the camera movement is fine as long as the movements only during a combo action and not while your having to actually press buttons..

Deadly Alliance and Deception were pretty good. They were quite deep and the slower pace allowed for a more tactical and methodical approach, which was a different offering to the high speed fighters like Soul Calibur, Street Fighter and Tekken. The multiple fighting styles and a weapon that you could switch between on-the-fly allowed for some great combo options.

MK Armageddon and MK vs DC Universe were pretty bad, but not because they were 3D - it was just a big drop in quality.

Deadly Alliance and Deception were pretty good. They were quite deep and the slower pace allowed for a more tactical and methodical approach. The multiple fighting styles and a weapon that you could switch between on-the-fly allowed for some great combo options.

Armageddon and vs DC Universe were pretty bad, but not because they were 3D - it was just a distinct drop in quality.

I guess I didn't care for that play style. That was something that the Virtua Fighter guys liked. I was always a Street Fighter / MK guy myself. More so MK than Street Fighter, but I definitely enjoyed both.

Day 1 for me. Im an MK junkie and I'm glad they finally respect the roots.

Same here. I don't play console games much. My XBOX 360 sees more time as a DVD player and as move rental machine than a game console. (Since my HDD in my HTPC croaked again.) Of course MK has often had PC releases. Hopefully they'll do so again. Especially since Street Fighter sold well on PC. (Or I believe it did.)

I guess I didn't care for that play style. That was something that the Virtua Fighter guys liked. I was always a Street Fighter / MK guy myself. More so MK than Street Fighter, but I definitely enjoyed both.

Yeah, Virtua Fighter is my favourite fighting franchise, so I guess that's why I enjoyed Deadly Alliance and Deception so much. I think they are much better than MK3. 2D or 3D, as long as the core gameplay is great I will be more than happy.

This game alone will be enough to coax me into purchasing a PS3 or XBOX 360.

Just watched the youtube video that the OP linked to. The game looks pretty damn good.

Glad to see that the "best" thing about MK vs DC has been carried over as well - the real-time damage. I loved how the fighters would get cuts and welts over their body, their costumes ripped up and faces bloodied and bruised as the fight went on. This one looks like it will improve on that even more.

The x-ray moves simply look badass. They fit perfectly with the game's theme as they clearly show that the combat isn't harmless sparring, it's to the death (i.e. Mortal Kombat, not Heroic Pure-of-Heart Censored Jolly Kombat). It will be interesting to see how they factor into the gameplay, as in how much damage they will do, how easy they will be to pull off and how easy they will be to block/avoid/counter.

I hope Boon was accurate when he said that each fighter would be having a completely individual moveset. He says during the Reptile/Sektor fight that the stock high/low punch, high/low kick moves that every single character has are gone. I hope that's the case, because it was the biggest problem with the 2D MKs.

Those 'x-ray' type moves are like some type of 'bone breakers' or something named like that. It's a special type of combo or move in the game. I can't quite remember. It's likely a carry over of the 'brutal' nature of MK vs DC.

guys, this shit looks wanky as hell. I dont see this one being that great..I'm not trying to be hater or anything, but the animations or movements of the fighters just dont look right..

Exactly what makes you think this? This should easily be the best fighting game since Street Fighter IV.

The action does not seem to flow very smooth compared to SF4. Animations just look weird. Just watching the fighters move left to right, looks unnatural. Like they are sliding around or something.

Last edited:
Actually looks really good, they need to make way more 2d style games, I hate the 3d revolution.

Just watched the trailer and the youtube and looks awesome. Now where's Goro? :D

The action does not seem to flow very smooth compared to SF4. Animations just look weird. Just watching the fighters move left to right, looks unnatural. Like they are sliding around or something.

welcome back to the way MK and SF are suppose to be..

welcome back to the way MK and SF are suppose to be..

??? This game looks like ass, I cant believe you guys are going ape shit over it. I liked MK back in the day too, but jeez. The old MK games had more charm and polish than this bullshit.

I am liking the return to 2d though!

Last edited:
??? This game looks like ass, I cant believe you guys are going ape shit over it. I liked MK back in the day too, but jeez. The old MK games had more charm and polish than this bullshit.

I am liking the return to 2d though!

What? Have you actually seen the earlier games? More charm? Polish? Really?

Check out how polished they are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9e_w_CYrrk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJuKHlGPZMI

Yeah the multitude of rib cages, unrealistically sized bones, skulls, bad alignment of characters in the levels, etc. In most cases the third game is the least polished. Watch the videos and tell me how they have more charm and polish than this one. Shang Tsung's spike fatality and Smoke's blow up the world fatality are two examples of just how wrong you are. Kung Lao's slicing hat fatality (horizontal not vertical) has got to be the best example of how unpolished those games can be. I think many people fondly remember them because they were fun and different, but looking at them now shows you how retarded and bad they look. Compared to their contemporaries of the day they weren't all that. They did have an undefinable charm to them, I'll give you that in part but just how does this new game (which you haven't played) lack that?

Last edited:
Looks pretty good to me. I wish they'd gotten rid of those annoying masher combos, but the gameplay in the video shows some distinct depth with your combo options and what things can lead to mix-ups.
I dunno if I'm a "day 1" guy for an MK game, but I'd say it looks better than anything they've done after MK3.

What? Have you actually seen the earlier games? More charm? Polish? Really?

Check out how polished they are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9e_w_CYrrk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJuKHlGPZMI

Yeah the multitude of rib cages, unrealistically sized bones, skulls, bad alignment of characters in the levels, etc. In most cases the third game is the least polished. Watch the videos and tell me how they have more charm and polish than this one. Shang Tsung's spike fatality and Smoke's blow up the world fatality are two examples of just how wrong you are. Kung Lao's slicing hat fatality (horizontal not vertical) has got to be the best example of how unpolished those games can be. I think many people fondly remember them because they were fun and different, but looking at them now shows you how retarded and bad they look. Compared to their contemporaries of the day they weren't all that. They did have an undefinable charm to them, I'll give you that in part but just how does this new game (which you haven't played) lack that?

I should have stated "IMO". True, I have not played it so it's impossible to judge right now. I dont like what I am seeing though. The movements look like virtua fighter or something. Then again, the old ones now that I think about it were bad too. As Domingo said, the button mashing looks like it will be abundant. Based on what I've seen the fighting just looks clumsy to me.

Oh, thanks for the youtube link! That fatality vid was some throwback nostalgia!

Last edited:
I should have stated "IMO". True, I have not played it so it's impossible to judge right now. I dont like what I am seeing though. The movements look like virtua fighter or something. Then again, the old ones now that I think about it were bad too. As Domingo said, the button mashing looks like it will be abundant. Based on what I've seen the fighting just looks clumsy to me.

Oh, thanks for the youtube link! That fatality vid was some throwback nostalgia!

I don't see the connection to Virtua Fighter style moves. However, the basic/non-special moves seem to be quite a bit more realistic than earlier games as if they were based on or they could have come from real martial arts moves. They are far more stylized than they were with earlier games and characters. I see this as a good thing, not bad. As for button mashing, I'm not seeing how that's a new problem or anything you could get rid of. Button mashing is part of what new players to any game often do until they get the hang of it. What fighting games don't have that problem? All it takes to combat that play style is strategy. It clearly looks like there are more special moves than ever thanks to the inclusion of a super meter, X-ray moves, and the traditional special moves. It seems like the fighting in this game could have more depth than any previous Mortal Kombat games. It also seems to me that they've reduced the amount of damage done by each move (compared to earlier games) creating longer fights than we saw in past games. I see this as a good thing as well.

Will it play as smooth, and crisp as a Street Fighter game? Certainly not. No Mortal Kombat game ever has. Mortal Kombat was all about brutality and having a dark visual style. This game appears to be more serious than previous installments. No friendships or anything like that according to Ed Boon. I've wanted that since MK2 where that crap started.

Last edited:
I will dont like the mechanics, the air toggls are just too exaggerated.

When I mention "masher" combos, I don't mean people who are just going bonkers Eddie Gordo style.
I personally hate button sequence combos where you have to pound out a sequence of moves just by hitting the buttons in order. It gets old FAST and after you've seen it land 1-2 times, you just get sick of seeing and doing it. As always, there are 3-4 for each character...but because one hurts more there's never any reason to ever do the other ones.
Give me juggles, 2-in-1's, buffers, links, or pretty much another other kind of multi-hit, but I hate chain combos and moves that hit like 30 times for no reason other than to waste time.
That stuff all started with MK3 with the run up and mash strategy.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im so excited, Im 36 years old and i was one of the luckiest kids on the planet that i worked at a Alladins Castle arcade when i was 16 until about 20 and i grew up with Mortal Kombat and all the rest of the fighters out there but i love Mortal. I even have a Arcade machine with over 7000 games on it. And we rock Mortal Kombat all the time!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I understand your points, but this isn't back when the only fighting games were SF and MK. I'm worried they aren't taking that into account and feel they can just ride out the MK name with 2d, which maybe they can, but that doesn't make it a better game than current alternatives.

From what I've seen, the developers think they can just rewind the system back to 2d and things will be alright. But they seem to forget that 2d games have improved exponentially since they last time MK was a valid alternative, and I don't think fatalities have as much draw as they once did.

MK2 and even UMK3 played pretty well. They weren't as smooth or as fast as Street Fighter they were still fun games. I think that a game that gets back to their roots can still be fun, but they do have to do more than just make MK a 2D fighter again.

I understand your points, but this isn't back when the only fighting games were SF and MK. I'm worried they aren't taking that into account and feel they can just ride out the MK name with 2d, which maybe they can, but that doesn't make it a better game than current alternatives.

From what I've seen, the developers think they can just rewind the system back to 2d and things will be alright. But they seem to forget that 2d games have improved exponentially since they last time MK was a valid alternative, and I don't think fatalities have as much draw as they once did.

theres other fighting games? lol the problem is that only the core community really knows about the other 2D/3D fighting games.. but anyone born before 1990 and didnt live under a rock pretty much knows what mortal kombat and street fighter are.. thats the group they are going for.. the people that remember the game at the beginning and will most likely pick up even more people along with it because of the gruesome style of fighting that IS mortal kombat.. theres times when you innovate and improve on stuff.. but in this case MK has to go back to its roots style otherwise it just turns into another boring 3D fighter game..

The finishers look really cool, I hope they have a simple way of doing them cuz with the past games, some were extremely hard to do when you had to be a certain distance from your opponent and what not.

Here's hoping it will be a 1or2 button press and maybe a direction on the pad.

Looks terrible. Why cant people just grow up and let franchies die? MK was and always will be a 90's generation game. It died out a long time ago. MK2 will never be outdone.

Back